HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate fitters - Quarter panel moldability

Old
02-22-2014, 06:41 PM
MplsFish

vCash: 500
Skate fitters - Quarter panel moldability

Hey guys, so I'm on the hunt for a new pair of skates and looking for a bit of advice. Currently in vapor 3.0s size 8.5d.

The thing is, I like the vapors for the most part as I have flat narrow feet. The problem here is that I have very large accessory navicular bones (pics below) and it is near impossible to tie the skate with the right amount of pressure to lock my feet in and at the same time have them not go numb - as skates are typically most narrow there. I've gone the punching route but it is hard to accurately match the shape of the area.

I know a few of you guys fit skates and have experience with a lot of different models, so my question is this. Are any of the skates which advertise their moldability (e.g. RBZ or mako) able to in a sense punch out the area more accurately through baking and molding the quarter panel area? Has anyone else with this problem had some success with newer models?

Just curious if there exists a skate that can solve a bit of the problem through baking or if it is simply more wise to get a boot that fits well elsewhere and punch out and best I can. Thanks for any advice.

image.jpg

MplsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 06:42 PM
MplsFish

Another pic image.jpg

MplsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 06:12 PM
moreoutdoor

I took a lesson from my Fischer Vacum skiboots molding...
I have very prominent Malleoleuses (malleoli ???) with some calcifications (from the crappage ski race boots of yore).
The boot techs added hard plastic cups with a small foam cushion inside over my malleoleus to allow more space in the skiboot molding - worked great!
I just home baked my Vapors, and added some hard foam layers over the malleoleus to give them more 'room' when the boot firmed back up.
Worked like a charm!
I would expect that this sort of shimming can help wherever some extra space is called for.
Some will still need their boot punched. My feet have enough issue that I thought it might be iffy ti try in the skateboot molding - but it worked! May work for some and maybe not everyone...

moreoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 06:14 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsFish View Post
Hey guys, so I'm on the hunt for a new pair of skates and looking for a bit of advice. Currently in vapor 3.0s size 8.5d.

The thing is, I like the vapors for the most part as I have flat narrow feet. The problem here is that I have very large accessory navicular bones (pics below) and it is near impossible to tie the skate with the right amount of pressure to lock my feet in and at the same time have them not go numb - as skates are typically most narrow there. I've gone the punching route but it is hard to accurately match the shape of the area.

I know a few of you guys fit skates and have experience with a lot of different models, so my question is this. Are any of the skates which advertise their moldability (e.g. RBZ or mako) able to in a sense punch out the area more accurately through baking and molding the quarter panel area? Has anyone else with this problem had some success with newer models?

Just curious if there exists a skate that can solve a bit of the problem through baking or if it is simply more wise to get a boot that fits well elsewhere and punch out and best I can. Thanks for any advice.

Attachment 70969
Yes, the higher end skates are better for this. You can always punch out the area after if you need more room. Easy stuff.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote