HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Gregor nailed it last week, with Tavares now out there is 4 teams that should be losing more than us. Somehow we will go up in the standings.

Old
02-24-2014, 04:27 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
still not enough love for Ritchie, i see.
I like him a lot... enough to possibly pick him at #3 but more likely at #4.

Old
02-24-2014, 04:43 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I like him a lot... enough to possibly pick him at #3 but more likely at #4.
that's where i have him too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RztPZLG34D0

Last edited by phaedrusDH: 02-24-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old
02-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
Yah I see the Oilers moving up the standings a bit and ending up with the 4-5 pick this year.

15 of 22 last games at home, boys are feeling more loose and playing with no pressure anymore, goaltending is good, and getting good contribution now from players like Yak and Marincin. Also looked at their schedule and upcoming games aren't very tough opponents.

Old
02-24-2014, 04:52 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Oilers had 12 pts in their last 10 games.

At that pace they'll likely be able to pass both Florida and NYI down the stretch but will probably still be behind the Flames if Calgary keeps playing decently like they have been recently.

If I had to make a guess I'd say this is the bottom 5 order:

30 Buffalo
29 NYI
28 Florida
27 Edmonton
26 Calgary

That would mean the Oilers likely pick #4 or #5 (if a lower team wins the lotto). No chance at either Ekblad or Reinhart at that point but they should still pick up a decent prospect.

Old
02-24-2014, 04:54 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
They played like **** before the break. Allowing 100 shots in two games is not encouraging.

Old
02-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Scrivens was blessed by the helix

Old
02-24-2014, 05:05 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
+1 for the reference.

-1 to me because I got the reference.

Old
02-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
They played like **** before the break. Allowing 100 shots in two games is not encouraging.
Unless our goalies play ridiculously well we shouldn't win that many. Plus, trading Gagner and Hemsky and adding some players from the farm should leave us with few wins.

Old
02-24-2014, 05:20 PM
jeffff

The Oilers last 10 games of the season, pretty tough.

San Jose
Anaheim
NYR
San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Anaheim
Colorado
LA
Vancouver

Old
02-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Aerchon

Trading Gagner and Hemsky will have a very minimal effect.

Gagner has played like garbage all year long. Addition by subtraction.

Hemsky has been a depth forward with no real chemistry with anyone. Nice secondary scoring but we should be able to find someone who can score at least close to his pace.

Florida, NYI, Flames, and Buffalo all are well within catching and all will be selling off much bigger and more important pieces to their teams.

We all know the Oilers have the potential to actually win some games off our young talent and now hopefully with some solid goaltending. A lot of home games spread out more than most teams.

We should easily pass all 3 of those teams and stay ahead of Buffalo who will all be in gut and tank mode.

I see us finishing 5th last... which sucks cause we need another very strong piece before our team has a hope in hell of making the playoffs.

Old
02-24-2014, 05:26 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked username View Post
Will the oilers keep winning games or at least get points here and there? Or did the long break ruin the momentum?
I have been saying for about a month that the oilers will draft 5th or 6th and the way things are going I will be spot on

Old
02-24-2014, 05:29 PM
bone

vCash: 705
I don't expect much. Yeah they won a bit before the break but other than the Nashville game and maybe the NY/Vancouver games they were still badly outplayed. They are also 18 back of the 6th pick, so worst case is moving three spots.

Can they be 5 points better than New York in equal games? Possibly, maybe even probable with Tavares out.

Can they be 4 points better than Florida in two less games? It could happen, I'm not too sure of that as Edmonton likely has the tougher schedule to go.

Can they be 4 points better than Calgary in two less games? Similar schedules, but Calgary is actually full marks for their little pre-break run as opposed to feeding off league leading goaltending that may not be sustainable. Probably comes down the head to head games.

Odds currently have Edmonton with a 57% chance at finishing second last and 94% of being bottom 4 without considering the Tavares factor, but Edmonton's likely to trade away a bunch of players as well. I'd be shocked to see them end up with the 5th worst record as they'd likely have to go about 14-8 in the final 22 games to be in that range.

Do you see 14 wins in a stretch of games against Avalanche, Blues, Canucks, Coyotes, Ducks (x3), Flames (x2), Hurricanes, Islanders, Kings (x2), Predators, Rangers, Red Wings, Sabres, Senators, Sharks (x2), Wild (x2). I don't. I see about 6 very winnable games, and 3 or 4 maybe games, meaning they got to fluke out 4 more games without considering they could blow a couple of the winnable games.

Last edited by bone: 02-24-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old
02-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Gagner has played like garbage all year long. Addition by subtraction.
MacT should start dialing the phone b4 the players even come off on the stretcher. Once a guy is injured he's no longer worthy of the copper drop.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:54 PM
BarDownBobo

Rumor is Buffalo won't trade Miller and wants to re-sign him. Could they actually possibly pass us in the standings if they do so?

Old
02-24-2014, 10:57 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Rumor is Buffalo won't trade Miller and wants to re-sign him. Could they actually possibly pass us in the standings if they do so?
Not if they also trade Moulson and Ott. It is possible. they actually aren't a terrible team. I still see up moving ahead of the panthers, flames, islanders and pick 5th.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Just an aside... but other than Ekblad this might be the weakest draft for dmen in many, many years.

There's Fleury/Honka/McKeown and not a whole lot of other decent looking top D prospects out there.

I think that will contribute as well to Ekblad going #1 with almost 100% certainty... there's such a drop between him and anything else remotely considered to be a #1 or even top pairing type dman in terms of potential.

It looks like a decent/average year for forwards but for Dmen it's pretty mediocre (again when you get past Ekblad and a couple others).
The lack of Dmen in this draft won't have a bearing on Ekblad going #1 or later, the team picking #1 will. If Buffalo retains the first pick, I can't see them taking a RHD when they already have Myers and Ristolainen in the fold AND still need a 1C. The same can be said if Nashville wins the draft lottery (Weber, Jones). Winnipeg would be an interesting case as they have Bogo and Trouba, but also Little and Scheiffele down the middle, so we'll call them a coin flip. Every other team in the lottery is probably a lock to take Ekblad. But the D depth of the draft has no bearing, what does the team picking 1st care about what's available at 10th/15th/20th unless they have multiple 1sts?

Old
02-24-2014, 11:15 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
The lack of Dmen in this draft won't have a bearing on Ekblad going #1 or later, the team picking #1 will. If Buffalo retains the first pick, I can't see them taking a RHD when they already have Myers and Ristolainen in the fold AND still need a 1C. The same can be said if Nashville wins the draft lottery (Weber, Jones). Winnipeg would be an interesting case as they have Bogo and Trouba, but also Little and Scheiffele down the middle, so we'll call them a coin flip. Every other team in the lottery is probably a lock to take Ekblad. But the D depth of the draft has no bearing, what does the team picking 1st care about what's available at 10th/15th/20th unless they have multiple 1sts?
I don't think the Oilers are a lock to take Ekblad if Gagner isn't in their long-term plans.

RNH isn't exactly big or healthy, and this is hopefully the last chance they get to solidify their center position. Reinhart or Bennet here would mean that the Oil are guaranteed to at least have a #1 c in the event anything else happens to RNH's shoulders. If RNH gets injured again and the Oil drafted Ekblad the team is unlikely to be a contender at all.

I know Ekblad is good but if the Oilers have good enough centers they can attract another "prime" Chris Pronger here and that's better than a "developing" Ekblad imo.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Sometimes the oilers honestly look like they're being controlled by a Twitch live stream when they're playing.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:04 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Oilers had 12 pts in their last 10 games.

At that pace they'll likely be able to pass both Florida and NYI down the stretch but will probably still be behind the Flames if Calgary keeps playing decently like they have been recently.

If I had to make a guess I'd say this is the bottom 5 order:

30 Buffalo
29 NYI
28 Florida
27 Edmonton
26 Calgary

That would mean the Oilers likely pick #4 or #5 (if a lower team wins the lotto). No chance at either Ekblad or Reinhart at that point but they should still pick up a decent prospect.
Have you seen our schedule?

We arent likely to be passing anybody.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:28 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Have you seen our schedule?

We arent likely to be passing anybody.
Man you just squeeze every bit of optimism out of me and throw it in the mud, every time I see a small light of improvement... you unleash the black hole of reality that is this toilet swirl of a team.

Honestly I wouldn't mind at all if they finished 29th/30th and managed to grab Ekblad. Finishing 2 or 3 spots higher does crap all for this team at this point.

I had some faint hope that if they actually were in 30th at this stage Eakins would be ****canned but looks like that's not going to happen either so really not much to look forward to the rest of the way.

Maybe we can at least see Fedun and Pitlick up for a few games to give us something different to watch as the season grinds to a close.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 02-25-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old
02-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

@KyleGalliver

Sam Reinhart has taken it to another level this month. The potential top pick in the #NHL draft has 31 points in 12 games in February.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:06 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@KyleGalliver

Sam Reinhart has taken it to another level this month. The potential top pick in the #NHL draft has 31 points in 12 games in February.
if he isnt the 1st overall i will be very very surprised

Old
02-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Dabomb

Which NHL player has Sam Reinhart been compared to most? Haven't seen him play alot.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:28 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@KyleGalliver

Thats ridiculous!!! I think if we end up picking 2nd or 3rd even there is a good chance we get Ekblad. I could see Calgary and the Islanders both taking Bennett, ahead of Ekblad.

Last edited by raab: 02-27-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Closed Thread