HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Chris Neil

Old
02-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Brandi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpLiCiT_P1ayA__ View Post
if you really want neil .. then give us malkin or crosby + malone
Man, let it go.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:40 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
That seems more than a bit excessive, but it does highlight the fact that this is precisely the time of year that Neil would be the hardest to acquire. I could certainly see a disproportionately handsome package being built around someone like Colby Armstrong or the likes of some of the Penguins' better prospects like Letang or Goglioski. The point is clear enough, though - Shero would be going against the grain in a big way to try to get a deal done with Muckler on this one.
Just to be clear (because reading my last post, my phrasing was bad), that I think the deal would have to be Neil + something (at least a top end prospect and/or a first round pick), rather than Staal+ for Neil, which some people may have interpreted my comment as. The point being, that a player like Neil, based on the low supply of similar type players that can be had for a reasonable price (Neil's contract is very attractive) becomes a guy that you can package up in value if he gets traded.

There are other options for Shero, but, they're just as troublesome. He can go after the established top line winger who plays with an edge. There are three big ones that may hit the market this year, Shane Doan, Ryan Smyth and Darcy Tucker. All three could be a great fit, but, there's a good chance that none ever hit the free agent market. Even if they do, the price becomes excessive. The Penguins may not be able to make the big dollar committments over a long term, and still be able to maintain their youth core.

The other option is taking a fighter/grinder, and hoping to turn them into more of a general player, like Neil has become. That's hard to do, as, there's a reason why fighters are struggling to stay in the game. You have to take on project players, and work with them.

There is one package deal that I think the Penguins may consider. While there is a lot of talk of the lack of physical presence, the lack of defenceman has also been a weakness. If Ottawa does decide to part with Redden (which is a big if, and very dependant on what happens this spring), a package deal consisting of Redden and Neil could be something that Shero becomes willing to pay a heavy price for, addressing two very big needs in one move, even if it costs him part of that youth core that everyone admires.

I see the situation as being similar to the Nordiques of the mid-90's. They had three young centres, and they lacked in other areas for their team. They moved Sundin for a veteran Wendel Clark. It didn't work out, but, it represents the mentality that can take hold of a team, wanting to take a big step.

This is all speculation, and a longshot of course, and, would be at least a bit more feasible, if the Pens current biggest contract, Sergei Gonchar, was a reasonable piece for Ottawa to take on in return. But, he's a guy that's signed for a little bit too much, for a little bit too long, that would scare a team like Ottawa away.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:12 PM
fras123

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I think there is pretty much zero chance of Neil getting traded before the deadline. Pittsburgh may try and add an enforcer at the deadline, but, it won't be someone who can play meaningful minutes like Neil can, which makes their role less valuable.

It it becomes an issue in the playoffs for Pittsburgh, I could see Shero calling Muckler up, seeing what it would take. And, given the value of Neil, the only answer I can see Muckler giving is, that it would take Staal, to get Neil, plus something else.

Yes, it would be an overpayment, and not likely to happen, but, it would be something that might get considered. If Shero buys into the hype that a gritty winger could turn into a Rick Tocchet type player on Crosby's line, then, the offer gets tempting.

Personally, I don't see Neil turning into that level of player, but, he's suprised us before. He still seems unable to get over that scoring hump, to get himself consideration as a full time top 6 forward, rather than the third liner who occassionally gets promoted.
you would have to be retarded to think that pens gm would want to give away their first round pick this year for a third line grinder, the potential of staal is rediculous, hes going to be a first line player his whole career.

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:19 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fras123 View Post
you would have to be retarded to think that pens gm would want to give away their first round pick this year for a third line grinder, the potential of staal is rediculous, hes going to be a first line player his whole career.
I'd suggest you try and make your arguements without resorting to name calling.

I'd also suggest that you read my post better. I am not suggesting that Neil is worth that much. I'm just saying that's where I think the conversation would go if Shero pressed for him.

Old
02-13-2007, 12:28 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Pens fan and Ottawa native here...

Neil would be awesome in Pittsburgh, but as someone mentioned earlier...they don't make good trading partners. I think a lot of your assessments are bang on and to pry Neil from Ottawa would require an overpayment that the Pens aren't willing to make.

Is Preissing still available? I know he was mentioned in several rumors a few months ago that would add some depth to the Sens on the wing, but he has since become Ottawa's most reliable offensive defenseman. He's someone I could see Pens being interested in.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:46 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatewaderedden View Post

Neil would be awesome in Pittsburgh, but as someone mentioned earlier...they don't make good trading partners. I think a lot of your assessments are bang on and to pry Neil from Ottawa would require an overpayment that the Pens aren't willing to make.

Is Preissing still available? I know he was mentioned in several rumors a few months ago that would add some depth to the Sens on the wing, but he has since become Ottawa's most reliable offensive defenseman. He's someone I could see Pens being interested in.
I haven't heard of Preissing's name being mentioned in trade rumours (at least somewhat reliable ones) at all. He's a hard guy to replace, because his contract is so cheap. For one, there hasn't been much of a feeling that we have expendable depth on our blueline, that we can really trade a guy. Plus, his contract is so cheap, that even if we did try and trade him for a winger, it's almost impossible to do so without adding salary, that Ottawa isn't in a great position to do.

Old
02-13-2007, 01:09 PM
senility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatewaderedden View Post

Out of curiosity, considering that your are a Pens fan, why do you hate Wade Redden so much that you decided to devote your username to announcing it to the world? I thought that kind of venom was reserved for certain Senators fans, who will remain nameless.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Sylph

Can someone kindly remind me what Neil's current contract is with the Sens? I am drawing a blank for some reason.

Not to agitate or anything, but I can't believe we came this close to having Crosby and the Pens come to Ontario and play in Hamilton. I would have loved to see Ontario with a 3rd NHL team and have the likes of Crosby and Staahl closer to home where I could see them play more often. I love watching the Pens, they are a fantastic team, and their game against the Leafs the other day was one of the best to watch this season.

Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:14 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Can someone kindly remind me what Neil's current contract is with the Sens? I am drawing a blank for some reason.
Two more years after this one at 1.1 I believe.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:23 PM
IranCondraAffair

Chris Neil + Brian Lee

for Staal

I would do it, the Pens might too all things considered. It would certainly fill out 2nd centre void while allowing us to drop Comrie and sign our defense. Also, with so many wing prospects coming around soon, it would be nice to find them some ice time.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Sylph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Two more years after this one at 1.1 I believe.

Thanks!

And in that case, he is a steal. No way will he be traded unless he is part of some blockbuster deal that has Ottawa getting a couple of young superstars.

Neil is one of those players who has that elusive quality of "heart" that so many critics accuse Ottawa lacking. He is to Ottawa what Darcy Tucker is to Toronto. Except that Darcy is a little guy, and someone like Crosby needs a big crusher to protect him.

How about Hal Gill? Do you think Boston would be willing to rent him to the Pens, considering that Boston doesn't have much of a chance of being a contender this year?

Old
02-13-2007, 01:30 PM
discostu

Quote:
How about Hal Gill? Do you think Boston would be willing to rent him to the Pens, considering that Boston doesn't have much of a chance of being a contender this year?
Hal Gill is about the last person you want in an enforcer role. He's big, and, can play a physical game on the blueline, but, he is absolutely not a fighter. He just doesn't have the balance.

It's made those Chara-Gill match-ups embarassing. To his credit, he'll always ante up, but, he's just not good at it, and wouldn't be effective in that role.

Old
02-13-2007, 01:31 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
He's with Toronto now.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Sylph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
He's with Toronto now.
Crap. Sorry. Brainfart. I am a leafs fan, I know this, how embarassing. Serves me right for being on here, while I am working.

And Discostu, you are right, Gill has size but not a fighter, the Chara/Gill fights WERE embarassing.

Ummmm someone come to my rescue, whose the guy on the Bruins they are thinking of shopping....Murray? The Pens need two things, a vetern, and some protection for Crosby. I don't know why but I thought the Bruins had someone would fit that bill.

Old
02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Chris Neil is a very valuable commodity in today's NHL. Infact, he is part of that rare breed that hits, agitates, fights, and scores - with good fore and back checking skills. There are not many like him around and therefore, it's prudent for the Ottawa management to keep him in the team.

He won't be traded anytime soon. Maybe Pittsburgh can try their luck on Tucker (not a heavyweight by any means, but will protect Crosby adequately from the middleweight agitators)?

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Wouldnt it be funny if Tucker got traded to the Pens, and the sens ended up playing them in the 1st round?

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:49 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by senility View Post

Out of curiosity, considering that your are a Pens fan, why do you hate Wade Redden so much that you decided to devote your username to announcing it to the world? I thought that kind of venom was reserved for certain Senators fans, who will remain nameless.
I used to really dislike the guy...now I stopped caring but am stuck with the bad username.

He's ok...but he's no Gonchar.

As for the Neil and Lee for Staal proposal...no...we wouldn't go for it.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Sylph

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Chris Neil is a very valuable commodity in today's NHL. Infact, he is part of that rare breed that hits, agitates, fights, and scores - with good fore and back checking skills. There are not many like him around and therefore, it's prudent for the Ottawa management to keep him in the team.

He won't be traded anytime soon. Maybe Pittsburgh can try their luck on Tucker (not a heavyweight by any means, but will protect Crosby adequately from the middleweight agitators)?

Tucker is a brilliant pain in the ass, and the guy can score to boot, but he is tiny, and while he is a scrapper, he is by no means a protector. Crosby needs a big thug to protect him. Tucker won't do the job.

Old
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Tucker is a brilliant pain in the ass, and the guy can score to boot, but he is tiny, and while he is a scrapper, he is by no means a protector. Crosby needs a big thug to protect him. Tucker won't do the job.
There aren't too many big thugs who can play that can protect him.

I think the Pens need a pure enforcer to begin with. A legitimate heavyweight. With that, even if the guy lacks talent to skate with Crosby in the first line, the opposing team would know better before messing around with them.

If he really wanted the role of a protector, I think Laraque could have been a perfect candidate for Crosby. Eventhough he is the reigning heavyweight champion, Laraque is a poor enforcer. He rarely defends his teammates unless he feels personally dissed by someone. The guy also doesn't fight that often. But he has good offensive skills for a heavyweight and has shown to be productive in the past. If he only knew how to enforce better - I think he would have been an ideal linemate for Crosby's protection.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
There are other options for Shero, but, they're just as troublesome. He can go after the established top line winger who plays with an edge. There are three big ones that may hit the market this year, Shane Doan, Ryan Smyth and Darcy Tucker. All three could be a great fit, but, there's a good chance that none ever hit the free agent market. Even if they do, the price becomes excessive. The Penguins may not be able to make the big dollar committments over a long term, and still be able to maintain their youth core.
If any of them do hit the free agent market then I think Pittsburgh is a very attractive option. The chance to play with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, etc. A very high probability of contending for years to come. Plus the team has lots of cap room right now.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Ferley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
If any of them do hit the free agent market then I think Pittsburgh is a very attractive option. The chance to play with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, etc. A very high probability of contending for years to come. Plus the team has lots of cap room right now.
True but all three will probably be making max money in a short time along with Whitney and Fleury probably do for a good raise

Ferley is offline   Reply With Quote