HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hemsky talks about his future

Old
02-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
If you're getting crap offers for him, you get him signed.

We won't find anyone better.
Thing is, I don't see any compelling reason why he would resign here.

If I were him I sure wouldn't, and that's not meant to be a cheap slam on the Oilers, it's more a statement about the current work situation.

The Oilers aren't going to break the bank for him (nor should they), and there's younger players being given the better offensive looks now, and will expect to be in the future. He's realistically only got a few productive years left where he can hope to make some decent money before playing out the string in Europe or the KHL, so he can't afford to be sentimental about this.

And that's saying nothing about actually wanting to win a cup sometime this decade.

Looking at it objectively, it makes no logical sense for him to stay here.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 05:37 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

If he does get moved at the deadline I really hope he goes somewhere good. As others have expressed in this thread I would consider resigning him again.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 05:50 PM
dyzfunctioned

I hope for his sake he signs elsewhere.

I think he's a fantastic player and would love to keep him but he's pretty much labelled for a 3rd line defensive role here and I don't see why he'd stick around to play with Gordon when he could move on and play top 6 on a good team.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Hemsky does not want to play here anymore this year or ever.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
It's pretty obvious he hasn't wanted to play here for 3 or more years.

But when an idiot GM offers you a ******** of money you aren't worth, you take it and run.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:43 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Please for the love of god!

Move on!

Same with you Smyth.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Oil80

vCash: 300
My favorite Oiler for years. Have a 30th Anniversary Retro 3rd of his and I cherish it. I always said that he should stay an Oiler as he, when healthy, has been the only consistent player offensively.

If he does get traded, I hope its to a contender and I hope he wins the cup

Oil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:51 PM
mossy joe
keep it riel

vCash: 50
i think it's imperative that this player gets moved at this deadline.

mossy joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Man, I loved seeing Hemsky happy after how tough its been here for a while. I don't even care about all this what to do with Hemsky talk, it's just nice to see the guy smiling. This break from the Oilers did him good I think.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 08:15 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tikk View Post
Hey - what happened to my totally accurate title?
Cronyism and one serious dude(ette)

A bit of fun and humor is always a good thing especially regarding oilers.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 08:21 PM
vespa99

I for one would be happy to see him re sign here for a reasonable dollar. I cant see him wanting to play behind Ebs and Yak so I doubt it happens.
However I hope for his sake he moves on and goes to a team that has a chance to win. I think he will be rejuvenated playing on a contender and the team that trades for him or signs him after this year is going to be very happy they did. (Their fans will whine when the deal is made and then he will prove them to be idiots

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 08:26 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
I for one would be happy to see him re sign here for a reasonable dollar. I cant see him wanting to play behind Ebs and Yak so I doubt it happens.
However I hope for his sake he moves on and goes to a team that has a chance to win. I think he will be rejuvenated playing on a contender and the team that trades for him or signs him after this year is going to be very happy they did. (Their fans will whine when the deal is made and then he will prove them to be idiots
This. Unless Yakupov or Eberle is traded Hemsky must go and I don't want to see Yak go.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
If you're basing that on this interview then you are mistaken. Hemsky talks like that all the time.

The last time we had a contract renewal, management challenged Hemsky to be a better two-way player and welcomed that challenge. He still was very wishy-washy in interviews.

A lot of people made a lot out of that MacT presser with Hemsky at the start of the season too. Just stop making these conclusions. He just talks very subdued and bluntly like that. Always has.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
If you're basing that on this interview then you are mistaken. Hemsky talks like that all the time.

The last time we had a contract renewal, management challenged Hemsky to be a better two-way player and welcomed that challenge. He still was very wishy-washy in interviews.

A lot of people made a lot out of that MacT presser with Hemsky at the start of the season too. Just stop making these conclusions. He just talks very subdued and bluntly like that. Always has.
What conclusions and I have not seen interview yet Hemsky wants out .

Old
02-24-2014, 09:28 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
This. Unless Yakupov or Eberle is traded Hemsky must go and I don't want to see Yak go.
Until we have four wingers who can consistently prove that they can produce when given top-six minutes, trading one who can with out providing a viable replacement is poor asset management any way you cut it.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Mr Positive

Quote:
What conclusions and I have not seen interview yet Hemsky wants out .
Dude you are posting in a thread that is all about the interview. Now that's a fair conclusion, unlike the ones you've made.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Dude you are posting in a thread that is all about the interview. Now that's a fair conclusion, unlike the ones you've made.
Ok bud what do you want to bet that 1 Hemsky is moved at deadline and 2 he does not sign here next year even if offered the most. And no need to even explore number 2 because the organization already knows what Hemsky feelings are.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Mr Positive

Quote:
Ok bud what do you want to bet that 1 Hemsky is moved at deadline and 2 he does not sign here next year even if offered the most. And no need to even explore number 2 because the organization already knows what Hemsky feelings are.
If Hemsky really wanted out of here he would not be an Oiler today. That would make him a cancer and MacT would have shipped him out at the start of the season or earlier.

He will be moved at the deadline, but he doesn't seem happy about it to me. He seems kind of passive about it, like he did his best but that it's not his decision.

Btw, any time that Hemsky has talked directly about this issue he's said that he likes it in Edmonton and he wants to stay here. On the deadline where we traded Penner he said that now that the team is finally building talent he doesn't want to be traded.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
If Hemsky really wanted out of here he would not be an Oiler today. That would make him a cancer and MacT would have shipped him out at the start of the season or earlier.
He will be moved at the deadline, but he doesn't seem happy about it to me. He seems kind of passive about it, like he did his best but that it's not his decision.

Btw, any time that Hemsky has talked directly about this issue he's said that he likes it in Edmonton and he wants to stay here. On the deadline where we traded Penner he said that now that the team is finally building talent he doesn't want to be traded.
Now who is making assumptions and conclusions Anyways moving on I will stick with what I know you stick with your thoughts.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Smartguy

vCash: 580
Hemsky has been one of my favorite players, as a younger fan he was our best player when I really started to follow, acquired many signed pictures and jerseys etc. of his but I think it's best for him to go for any close to reasonable offer, he's been on off the block for three years, more on then not, and put to third line minutes and what not it's best for his career to move on

Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
3 x 3.5

Always nice to have offensive depth. Gagner is the one who should be moved. I have no problems playing Hemsky in the role he is now. The problem is does he like his role?
You would sign him for $3.5M a season to play "3rd liner who doesn't hit, fight or get a lot of points"?

$1.5M. He doesn't actually bug me in the role he's in and he's a decent backup if Yak or Eberle get hurt.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:13 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
You would sign him for $3.5M a season to play "3rd liner who doesn't hit, fight or get a lot of points"?

$1.5M. He doesn't actually bug me in the role he's in and he's a decent backup if Yak or Eberle get hurt.
$1.5M is a joke. Hemsky will get 4 million. If not here somewhere else. Jeepers, Ference is making $3,000,000.00 USD! Hemsky can score if he is put on a scoring line. Some idiot thinks he should be on a checking line. Doh!

Old
02-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Baggers

If Hemsky goes to Detroit or Pittsburgh, I can easily see him netting 45-50 points next season.

I do think it's time for him to move on though, both for him and the team.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
$1.5M is a joke. Hemsky will get 4 million. If not here somewhere else. Jeepers, Ference is making $3,000,000.00 USD! Hemsky can score if he is put on a scoring line. Some idiot thinks he should be on a checking line. Doh!
He is on a checking line, and if someone thought he was worth $4M don't you think they would have traded for him in the last 3 years when he was making less than that?

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:28 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Thing is, I don't see any compelling reason why he would resign here.

If I were him I sure wouldn't, and that's not meant to be a cheap slam on the Oilers, it's more a statement about the current work situation.

The Oilers aren't going to break the bank for him (nor should they), and there's younger players being given the better offensive looks now, and will expect to be in the future. He's realistically only got a few productive years left where he can hope to make some decent money before playing out the string in Europe or the KHL, so he can't afford to be sentimental about this.

And that's saying nothing about actually wanting to win a cup sometime this decade.

Looking at it objectively, it makes no logical sense for him to stay here.
He is a UFA...its really up to him. Personally ive always found him to be a rover and i think MacT was the only coach to recognize this. I thought him and Perron would work...and it was the first time since samsonov, other than our short pick up of kotalik, that i felt we had a good linemate for him.
I agree with everything you have stated...there is no real debating it.
He has made good coin and the injury history could very much keep his options limited. I dont see many teams planning on him being in the their top six but there will be a few... Cap basement teams and they might give him a good contract just to get to that basement.
He still might re-sign here. I am not a big fan of his because i think we need a different piece in his position but he is an asset and with all assets you need to try to maximize them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
If he does get moved at the deadline I really hope he goes somewhere good. As others have expressed in this thread I would consider resigning him again.

Asset management. If they can get him signed to a contract that isnt laughed at by the rest of the league than it makes sense to keep him...but it has to be a movable contract. The five mill for an oft injured winger isnt going to make for a valuable asset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Until we have four wingers who can consistently prove that they can produce when given top-six minutes, trading one who can with out providing a viable replacement is poor asset management any way you cut it.
Yup, it depends on price. I still dont think he suits the team but until you can get that other asset that does fit you need to hang on to him. If the price is reasonable and movable than yes you sign him.

I also dont trade him just to help him or make another team better. Its likely better for the team to risk him walking for free than any return mact will actually get.
This is where loyalty comes in though. Mact always liked hemsky so i can see him being a good guy and getting something done if hemsky wants. As much as i would want to not do that, if i were a GM, i do think players have to know that you are open to their requests.
I have always thought hemsky would do better in the east.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote