HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

John Bucyk appreciation thread!

Old
02-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
John Bucyk appreciation thread!

Classy move by the Bruins honoring Bucyk tonight for 50 years service.

Harkens back to a time when Edmonton Oil Kings fed such Bruins as Bucyk, Bronco Horvath, Vic Stasiuk. A complete topline that resurrected the Bruins hopes.

What a career! Traded for Terry Sawchuk, 2 Stanley cups, played on a pp with Orr, Esposito, Mckenzie, Stanfield,scored 51 goals still at the age of 35, 1369 pts, 556, goals,not too shabby for a left winger!!!, and a fantastic dedicated community minded person who won't say no to anybody.

Its players like this that set the table for all to follow! A model of what a sports athlete could be.

None more deserving of honor

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...t=ByName#photo

Last edited by Replacement: 02-13-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:48 AM
CB420

hmm, I didnt know that Bucyk was an Edmonton Native, and didnt know that he played for the Edmonton Oil Kings or Edmonton Flyers either from 1951-52 to 54-55' in the WCJHL and WHL, maybe thats some good karma for the game tonight, this ceremony best not take longer then 30mins tho :\ For whatever reason though, we have bad luck in theese sorta games.. the oil cant seem to win the jersey ceremony games, even if tonight its not technically a jersey retirement game... we droped the Coffey game last year, and before that lost the Grant Fuhr jersey retirement game. Both of those 2 games were at home, so hopefully its an advantage to the road team to take that prolonged break. If we get that first goal, try n quiet the crowd up. The Chiefs #9 is allready hanging from the rafters... so they must be doing an honour ceremony.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:00 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Classy move by the Bruins honoring Bucyk tonight for 50 years service.

Harkens back to a time when Edmonton Oil Kings fed such Bruins as Bucyk, Bronco Horvath, Vic Stasiuk. A complete topline that resurrected the Bruins hopes.

What a career! Traded for Terry Sawchuk, 2 Stanley cups, played on a pp with Orr, Esposito, Mckenzie, Stanfield,scored 51 goals still at the age of 35, 1369 pts, 556, goals,not too shabby for a left winger!!!, and a fantastic dedicated community minded person who won't say no to anybody.

Its players like this that set the table for all to follow! A model of what a sports athlete could be.

None more deserving of honor

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...t=ByName#photo
My oh my, Replacement. You are dating yourself. And the fact that I knew some of that and know who all those guys are kind of throws me in there too I guess. Bucyk was a class act through his whole career. Whenever his name comes up it is always a compliment. I join you in congratulations on this milestone.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
oiler4ever

Hats off to the CHIEF!!

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
My oh my, Replacement. You are dating yourself. And the fact that I knew some of that and know who all those guys are kind of throws me in there too I guess. Bucyk was a class act through his whole career. Whenever his name comes up it is always a compliment. I join you in congratulations on this milestone.

Just before my bones turn to dust I should clarify that I'm not old enough to have seen Bucyk play as an Oil King.

Really!

I am however old enough to have seen Billy Moores as an Oil King

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
oilersdan

I remember when we were kids our parents used to take us out to creston in the summer for a holiday and to pick fruit. While we were there one year (not too long after the Bruins beat St. Louis in the cup) we learned that Bucyk owned an orchard in the area. Of course we pestered our parents about it and they agreed to take us to meet "The Chief." When we finally did get to meet him we peppered him with questions: how much does the Stanley Cup weigh? What kind of guy is Bobby Orr? How happy were you to see Montreal miss the playoffs in 1969? He was very gracious in answering everything we threw at him, and after we had finished he gave us each an autographed poster of himself. It's something I will never forget. He is one of the main reasons my favourite NHL team was the Bruins. Until the Oilers came into the league that is.

Oh, and we did buy some cherries from him, too.

oilersdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Oilerdiehard

Congrats to Bucyk on the milestone.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote