HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

McKenzie on Expansion: Vegas and possibly beyond 32?

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2014, 05:05 PM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Alexander apparently hasn't shown any interest at all in recent years.
I know. Just saying if he did I think it would be successful.

Old
02-20-2014, 12:15 AM
NickWIHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Ahhh, no! The 50 miles radii are not to overlap.
so milwaukee's territory stops at where it would hit Chicago's right around the Illinois border basically, the milwaukee franchise territory would cover most of Wisconsin.

Old
02-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Murphy 17

I would love to see a team in Milwaukee. Could make a good rivalry since the Hawk/Wing rivalry is all but dead. (damned realignment) However, for Milwaukee to be considered getting a team, it would have to be a relocated one. If the Bradley Center does in fact hold 18K for hockey I'm sure it could be a temporary home.

Old
02-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackla View Post
I find it crazy people here consider Houston and Las Vegas as actual candidates for NHL teams. We want Phoenix and Florida Part III and Part IV?
Why would it have to be Florida and not Dallas?

Old
02-20-2014, 11:00 AM
King85Kong
#1C search continues

Quote:
I find it crazy people here consider Houston and Las Vegas as actual candidates for NHL teams. We want Phoenix and Florida Part III and Part IV?
Houston has a history with hockey (AHL). Plus would make for a good rivalry with Dallas. I think it could work.

Old
02-20-2014, 11:36 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Orlando should get the next expansion team

Old
02-21-2014, 11:33 AM
NickWIHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Orlando should get the next expansion team
given the struggles of the existing Florida teams? No way will Florida be getting a third NHL team. put a team in Wisconsin and Seattle, bring back the Nordiques and give Houston a team.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:21 AM
PCSPounder

I did have one thought about Vegas that might make sense in all this. I'm still opposed, I think it's a bad idea...

...but if it's Vegas and Seattle, Vegas goes to the Central. Reason: all those direct flights to Vegas.

Old
02-24-2014, 05:46 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Listing Vegas and Houston as somehow similar as NHL markets is ludicrious to me.

Dallas, which is a "slightly smaller Houston," spent 15 years in the top 10 in revenue and sold 98% of its tickets. The culture is there.

Vegas is an experiment. Houston is an untapped market.

Old
02-24-2014, 08:40 PM
stator

vCash: 475
I don't see Vegas at all. Who spends that kind of money to vacation over there for a hockey game?

Old
02-24-2014, 09:14 PM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

vCash: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by stator View Post
I don't see Vegas at all. Who spends that kind of money to vacation over there for a hockey game?
Considering I can fly from Bellingham to Vegas for $30, stay somewhere decent for well under $100 and I would imagine tickets would be cheaper than here in Vancouver, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I could see myself going to 2-3 game a year and I'm not a Canucks fan.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBXA View Post
Considering I can fly from Bellingham to Vegas for $30, stay somewhere decent for well under $100 and I would imagine tickets would be cheaper than here in Vancouver, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Do you think any sports team should plan on having fans like you showing up in order to be viable?

Old
02-24-2014, 09:39 PM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Do you think any sports team should plan on having fans like you showing up in order to be viable?
I was merely commenting on how a Nevada hockey club would effect me personally, no need to attack "fans like me".

While I think you could get solid crowds from vacationing fans from the crazy fan bases (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver etc), a hockey team in Vegas is a terrible idea and you would have to have more money than brain cells to do it. I would imagine less than 10% of an average crowd would reside in Nevada and I'm not sure hockey would be an exciting enough attraction for the average tourist.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
I was merely commenting on how a Nevada hockey club would effect me personally, no need to attack "fans like me".

While I think you could get solid crowds from vacationing fans from the crazy fan bases (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver etc), a hockey team in Vegas is a terrible idea and you would have to have more money than brain cells to do it. I would imagine less than 10% of an average crowd would reside in Nevada and I'm not sure hockey would be an exciting enough attraction for the average tourist.

Relax, it wasn't an attack on "fans like you" but merely a question if you believed there would be enough people who might take advantage of even cheap flights and ticket packages to truly impact the team's bottom line. That's what many supporters of a Vegas team believe would be a central piece, marketing to tourists, be it hockey fans like you or tourists who go to Vegas for the traditional reasons and then get tickets as part of their hotel or entertainment deal. (I'm not a believer that this model would work over the long run, 10, 20 yrs out, for example.)

So fans like you means a classification, nothing pejorative.

(Clever username, btw.)

Old
02-24-2014, 10:43 PM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Relax, it wasn't an attack on "fans like you" but merely a question if you believed there would be enough people who might take advantage of even cheap flights and ticket packages to truly impact the team's bottom line. That's what many supporters of a Vegas team believe would be a central piece, marketing to tourists, be it hockey fans like you or tourists who go to Vegas for the traditional reasons and then get tickets as part of their hotel or entertainment deal. (I'm not a believer that this model would work over the long run, 10, 20 yrs out, for example.)

So fans like you means a classification, nothing pejorative.

(Clever username, btw.)
Fair enough.

Having a team that relies on transient fans is a terrible idea IMO and I can't see a scenario where it works out for Vegas. Imagine a Vegas team that isn't in the playoff picture playing a Wednesday game against Phoenix... Who goes to that game? Not to mention the atrocious atmosphere, if the majority of people in attendance aren't fans of the team it's going to feel very similar to the gold medal game in Sochi.

(thanks, a couple of my buddies are electricians and they go on and on about BX and how they draw Bieksa on BX spools, haha)

Old
02-25-2014, 07:04 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I dont get how anyone can think expansion isn't comming to Québec and Seattle after hearing this. If they dont want to create false hope, why are they always mentioning Québec and Seattle DIRECTLY in recent interviews?
Because they keep getting asked about Seattle and Quebec City, probably.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Because they keep getting asked about Seattle and Quebec City, probably.
Though in that article being referenced last week it was Daly who actually brought up QC on is own inititiatve, therefore not really directly asked.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...7177--nhl.html

Quote:
Lest Seattle think they’re the frontrunners for expansion, Daly was quick to put over another candidate.

“By the way, I said the same thing about Quebec City. I also believe it’s a very good hockey market with a very strong and passionate fan base,” he said.
Guess we'll see if there's any smoke to this fire soon enough.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Though in that article being referenced last week it was Daly who actually brought up QC on is own inititiatve, therefore not really directly asked.

Guess we'll see if there's any smoke to this fire soon enough.
Fair point - Daly knows that any positive mention is certain to get QC supporters worked up, so to say that seemingly without being prompted is certainly a promising sign.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:11 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

How do you fly from Bellingham to Vegas for 30$ is this a discounted flight for some reason? The best I've seen usually is RT for around 175-200$

Old
02-25-2014, 01:42 PM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
How do you fly from Bellingham to Vegas for 30$ is this a discounted flight for some reason? The best I've seen usually is RT for around 175-200$
I flew Allegiant last summer round trip for $38. right now it's more expensive, I'm looking at going to Punk Rock Bowling in may and it's closer to $175 round trip. Every once in awhile they have a hard time filling a flight and offer stupid prices.

Old
02-25-2014, 01:58 PM
JB52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Well according to an Philippe Quantin article, someone, maybe him, did ask the question:

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroni...nde-les-jo.php

with google translate:

Quebec or Seattle?

Bill Daly took words of praise about Seattle as a hockey market last month. This is not the first time that Assistant Commissioner explains how the NHL is " intrigued " by the potential of the U.S. northwest.

- Say, Mr. Daly , you know that every time you say that the people of Quebec suffocate in their coffee ?

Daly, a rather nice man smiled. "When I am asked , I always say the same thing: the north -west is a good place for hockey. But I can say the same about Quebec. I also think it is a very good hockey market with passionate fans . "

Daly said the NHL might be a day to discuss expansion , but that time had not yet come.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
Well according to an Philippe Quantin article, someone, maybe him, did ask the question:

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroni...nde-les-jo.php

with google translate:

Quebec or Seattle?

Bill Daly took words of praise about Seattle as a hockey market last month. This is not the first time that Assistant Commissioner explains how the NHL is " intrigued " by the potential of the U.S. northwest.

- Say, Mr. Daly , you know that every time you say that the people of Quebec suffocate in their coffee ?

Daly, a rather nice man smiled. "When I am asked , I always say the same thing: the north -west is a good place for hockey. But I can say the same about Quebec. I also think it is a very good hockey market with passionate fans . "

Daly said the NHL might be a day to discuss expansion , but that time had not yet come.
Appreciate the grater context, I've been looking for something like this

Curious to know how many other cities Mr. Daly has endorsed recently. Guess one must ask the right questions

Old
02-26-2014, 12:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Assuming Les Alexander okays it, I think Houston would be a successful market.
Highly doubt it. Dallas has trouble having more than 8 thousand person at their games. And they've won a cup.

Old
02-26-2014, 07:48 AM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
The NHL is coming to Seattle and back to Quebec City. They would throw cold water on the ideal if they weren't coming (see the Markham arena). The question is when. It's possible Quebec may have to wait longer than they would like.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
The NHL is coming to Seattle and back to Quebec City. They would throw cold water on the ideal if they weren't coming (see the Markham arena). The question is when. It's possible Quebec may have to wait longer than they would like.
I dont see how. If the NHL is coming to Seattle in 2015, or in 2016 (and that's still a big IF). I'm pretty sure there'll be a ''double expansion''. (since it'll make everything easier, with only one expansion draft, and only remaking the schedule once, etc..) And this double expansion will undoubtably include Québec as team number 2.

Therefore it's a quite short wait!

Closed Thread