HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hemsky talks about his future

Old
02-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
I hope he goes to NJ to play with Jagr and Elias.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:58 AM
Mr Positive

vCash: 50
I am curious to see Hemsky in the playoffs again. It would suck to see Hemsky go to some team that ends up missing the playoffs

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:16 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I am curious to see Hemsky in the playoffs again. It would suck to see Hemsky go to some team that ends up missing the playoffs
Unless we get a 1st for him....and win the lotto

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:46 AM
dixs35

vCash: 0
All the talk about Hemsky wanting out was fabricated by the media and it was a joke. He has done nothing but be a good soldier and give us a reason to watch this team play for years. Have always loved Hemmer and wish him the best. Would like to see him back, but I think that ship has sailed. I hope he goes to a contender in the east where he will finally get credit for being the sublime talent that he is.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:58 AM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

Been a good soldier on a lot of ****** teams with no direction over a ton of years. Hemsky will be missed but for his mental health, it's better to get out and go to an organization that has a clear direction and competent management.

Last edited by Ser Woof: 02-25-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:32 AM
destro909

Hemsky is on pace this season for 33 points. This would give him an average of 31 points per season over the past 5 seasons. Regardless of whether this is because of injuries or deteriorating skills, you don't pay an offensive guy $4/5M a year for that kind of production. It's time to move on.

destro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:09 AM
n7

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro909 View Post
Hemsky is on pace this season for 33 points. This would give him an average of 31 points per season over the past 5 seasons. Regardless of whether this is because of injuries or deteriorating skills, you don't pay an offensive guy $4/5M a year for that kind of production. It's time to move on.
Have you not noticed what line he's on usually?
It's often third line...

He deserves better.

Playing in a third line role isn't doing him any favors.

n7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:12 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by destro909 View Post
He's actually averaged 62 points/game over the last 5 seasons based on games played.

//edit: last 5 FULL seasons prior to this one

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:27 AM
destro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7 View Post
It's often third line...

He deserves better.

He's been playing on the third line lately... but not for the past 5 seasons. However I do agree that he isn't suitable for a third line role which is yet another reason to move him.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:32 AM
destro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
He's actually averaged 62 points/game over the last 5 seasons based on games played.

//edit: last 5 FULL seasons prior to this one
Yes, but that is ignoring his injury issues which are a big factor. Even though he might be averaging 0.62 points per game over the past 5 seasons, he isn't actually contributing 51 points per season. And it's not like this is due to a single injury. He has consistently missed significant numbers of games throughout his whole career.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
You would sign him for $3.5M a season to play "3rd liner who doesn't hit, fight or get a lot of points"?

$1.5M. He doesn't actually bug me in the role he's in and he's a decent backup if Yak or Eberle get hurt.
Good Lord. Boyd Gordon, a third liner who who doesn't hit, fight or get a lot of points, makes $3 million. Matt Hendricks a borderline third liner who hits, sometimes fights and doesn't get a lot of points, makes $1.8 million. Ales Hemsky is more talented than both of those guys put together and you think he's worth a hair above league minimum?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Can we trade away Jim Matheson at the deadline instead? Package him with Terry Jones?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
All the talk about Hemsky wanting out was fabricated by the media and it was a joke. He has done nothing but be a good soldier and give us a reason to watch this team play for years. Have always loved Hemmer and wish him the best. Would like to see him back, but I think that ship has sailed. I hope he goes to a contender in the east where he will finally get credit for being the sublime talent that he is.
He has been WILLING to go if they wanted him to. He's a very happy-go-lucky guy who isn't insecure about what role he plays or who he plays for. He's the kind of vet that we should be holding on to, not selling for magic beans.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7 View Post
It's often third line...

He deserves better.

2009-2010: 1st line
2010-2011: 1st line
2011-2012: 2nd line, being outplayed by Eberle in basically every facet of the game
2012-2013: 2nd line forcing Yakupov to play his off-wing and MPS to play on the 4th line despite both playing better than him
2013-2014: handed 1st line minutes at the start of camp by Eakins, at the expense of Yakupov's confidence and development in a spot that the kid EARNED last season. Something Hemsky hasn't done nor had to do for the past 5 years. Moved down to the 2nd line because he wasn't getting it done, then moved down to the 3rd line because he sucks

There's a reason why MacT literally couldn't give him away. Even Shawn Horcoff had a taker, every team that wanted Hemsky asked MacT to retain salary. That tells you all you need to know about his reputation around the league. The guy is a lazy bum with no leadership skills or accountability who has polluted players like Hall/Eberle who have developed many of the terrible habits this guy had since the start of his career. And for those of you calling Hemsky a good soldier, he's been wanting out for a while. But the guy got offered 5 million per season despite being barely over a 40 point pace in 2011-2012 as a soft one dimensional player, of course he's going to stick with the team. No GM with a brain was going to offer him that kind of dough.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
2009-2010: 1st line
2010-2011: 1st line
2011-2012: 2nd line, being outplayed by Eberle in basically every facet of the game
2012-2013: 2nd line forcing Yakupov to play his off-wing and MPS to play on the 4th line despite both playing better than him
2013-2014: handed 1st line minutes at the start of camp by Eakins, at the expense of Yakupov's confidence and development in a spot that the kid EARNED last season. Something Hemsky hasn't done nor had to do for the past 5 years. Moved down to the 2nd line because he wasn't getting it done, then moved down to the 3rd line because he sucks

There's a reason why MacT literally couldn't give him away. Even Shawn Horcoff had a taker, every team that wanted Hemsky asked MacT to retain salary. That tells you all you need to know about his reputation around the league. The guy is a lazy bum with no leadership skills or accountability who has polluted players like Hall/Eberle who have developed many of the terrible habits this guy had since the start of his career. And for those of you calling Hemsky a good soldier, he's been wanting out for a while. But the guy got offered 5 million per season despite being barely over a 40 point pace in 2011-2012 as a soft one dimensional player, of course he's going to stick with the team. No GM with a brain was going to offer him that kind of dough.
This needs to stop, like Yakupov is some frail flower or porcelain doll.
Yaks has been given PLENTY of top 6 time. Guess nobody wants to remember how he played on the top line against Toronto or Washington.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This needs to stop, like Yakupov is some frail flower or porcelain doll.
Yaks has been given PLENTY of top 6 time. Guess nobody wants to remember how he played on the top line against Toronto or Washington.
the poster you're responding to has an irrational hate for Hemsky. Pay him no mind.

Old
02-25-2014, 11:33 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Good Lord. Boyd Gordon, a third liner who who doesn't hit, fight or get a lot of points, makes $3 million. Matt Hendricks a borderline third liner who hits, sometimes fights and doesn't get a lot of points, makes $1.8 million. Ales Hemsky is more talented than both of those guys put together and you think he's worth a hair above league minimum?
There's more to hockey than just scoring points and being talented. Gordon gets $3 mil because he's one of the better defensive centers in the league while also being an elite faceoff guy.
I do think that somebody might give Hemsky #3 mil+ on a short term deal because there is potential for him to put up some decent points but lets not act like he's worth more just because he's talented. There is also the durability factor which is always an issue with him.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
the poster you're responding to has an irrational hate for Hemsky. Pay him no mind.
The way some people can create a narrative to suit their feelings is downright disturbing at times.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
There's more to hockey than just scoring points and being talented. Gordon gets $3 mil because he's one of the better defensive centers in the league while also being an elite faceoff guy.
I do think that somebody might give Hemsky #3 mil+ on a short term deal because there is potential for him to put up some decent points but lets not act like he's worth more just because he's talented. There is also the durability factor which is always an issue with him.
He's worth more than $1.5 million. That was my only point.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Pressure
Tier 1/2 and 3 fan

I would resign him and hopefully ask him to play Center.

Trading Gagner would be my primary move right now.

Having said that, I'm going to miss him. He played with his heart on his sleeve and bled for our team when the times were rough. He also signed a nice contract through his UFA period. He deserves better. I wish he would go to the Wings for a playoff push.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Tw0Shoes

Personally I think Tampa Bay would be a good fit as well.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:57 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
Personally I think Tampa Bay would be a good fit as well.
With St.Louis in limbo I'd tend to agree.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:05 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
He's worth more than $1.5 million. That was my only point.
It's still ridiculous to compare him to Gordon, who brings Selke calibre defense

Edit: its also ridiculous to suggest he's only worth 1.5 million. Realistically, he's probably looking at 2.5-3 per for a year or two

Last edited by The Nuge: 02-25-2014 at 01:10 PM.
The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:12 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
With St.Louis in limbo I'd tend to agree.
Ya, if they do move St Louis, Hemsky would give them a playmaker for Stamkos until Drouin is ready

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya, if they do move St Louis, Hemsky would give them a playmaker for Stamkos until Drouin is ready
I suspect Drouin is ready next year and if he is it's probably still a move Yzerman could make. TB is doing real well this year, they have a hot goalie. Adding a Hemsky at what is probably not much more than a pick seems like a no brainer.

I guess what I'm saying is Hemsky to TB even if it's only a rental makes sense to me.

Also if you're Hemsky maybe even with Drouin coming up you should be a top 6 in TB and maybe you stick around with them. Heck even if asked to be a third liner, is it really that horrid? Third liner on a playoff team in the state of Florida where taxes aren't an issue, seems a lot better than what you've been getting in Edmonton.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote