HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Hall has spent just as much time with both Gagner and Nuge as his center as he did with Henrique in the 2 years they were linemates in Windsor. What makes you think he has any more chemistry with Henrique than he does with the guys we already have?
Same type of argument was made with Pouliot and Crosby when Oiler fans were trying to think he had value and occassionally with Gagner and Kane as well.

For some reason guys playing together for a year or two in junior no matter how long ago it was always makes people think they will have chemistry still.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:00 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
A bottom pairing dman and a guy trying to find his game in the AHL (could be a 3rd liner or a complete bust)... not really much of a return imo.
You make it sound like a 20 year old finding his game in the AHL is a bad thing haha.

Recent first round pick scoring at a 50 point pace since his slow start(1 point in first 12 games) as an AHL rookie.

Seems like a perfect return when you include Fayne who is a capable middle pairing guy.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:00 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Hemsky @ 50% + Ference to BOS for.... ??

I am not sold on Ference.. way too expensive for a 3rd pairing Dman who isnt physically imposing nor an offensive threat. Steady Staios v2.0 .
We will get the best bang for buck for him from Bruins since they seem to love him. Maybe retain a million here as well to get a better return.
BOS let him go because they didn't want to pay a depth d-man too much. Then we signed him to a longer contract than anyone else would offer him. So why would BOS take him back?

Old
02-24-2014, 07:15 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Ference would be a good pickup for a team looking for a decent depth dman with plenty of experience for a playoff run... unfortunately that contract is a killer and makes him hard to move.

2nd best option... Nick Schultz... moved for something small.
2015 Oiler problems: "We need a reliable bottom pairing D to stabilize the back end"

Ference needs to stay on the Oilers. A) He is an actual NHL D, something wed have few of if he was dealt B) He would fetch a low pick if traded

We should trading prospects for vets, not the other way around

Old
02-24-2014, 07:15 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Gagner @ 1 mill salary retained for next year + Ales Hemsky @ 700k retained for the year

for

Adam Larsson + Damien Brunner
New Jersey would easily decline. Larsson has so much potential and they just drafted him 4th overall in 2011. Don't think they'll give up on him yet.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
topchowda

Oilers would make great trade partners with the Devils, Predators, Canucks, and Blue Jackets.

All have ample D but need young offensive players. Canucks and Devils are aging and need youth.

I would love to try and get 2 or 3 of Larsson, Greene and Henrique from NJD for 2 of Gagner, Eberle, 1st (2014 or 15).

Greene is a criminally underrated D, close to top pairing

Old
02-24-2014, 07:23 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
You make it sound like a 20 year old finding his game in the AHL is a bad thing haha.

Recent first round pick scoring at a 50 point pace since his slow start(1 point in first 12 games) as an AHL rookie.

Seems like a perfect return when you include Fayne who is a capable middle pairing guy.
Well I guess you value them higher than I do.

Maybe I undervalue Fayne somewhat but I don't see Matteau as any better than Pitlick who's basically in the same position (although a bit older).

I guess having both Matteau AND Pitlick does double the odds of having one of them play a bottom 6 role sometime in the semi-near future.

I'm not the biggest Gagner fan (far from it) but I was still hoping for a more impactful player than those 2.

Saying that... it may be a "realistic" return for Gagner.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:34 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Well I guess you value them higher than I do.

Maybe I undervalue Fayne somewhat but I don't see Matteau as any better than Pitlick who's basically in the same position (although a bit older).

I guess having both Matteau AND Pitlick does double the odds of having one of them play a bottom 6 role sometime in the semi-near future.

I'm not the biggest Gagner fan (far from it) but I was still hoping for a more impactful player than those 2.

Saying that... it may be a "realistic" return for Gagner.
I could see Matteau ending up a 2nd liner in the less talented/heavy lifting type of role.

He's definitely more talented than Pitlick. Much grittier too.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:56 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I could see Matteau ending up a 2nd liner in the less talented/heavy lifting type of role.

He's definitely more talented than Pitlick. Much grittier too.
Didn't he also quit on his QMJHL team 2 games into a playoff series for being benched?

Old
02-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
How about Henrique + Merrill for Gagner plus something small?
You may not get either of those guys for Gagner straight up. Merril is basically their Klefbom but he is older and is already playing real minutes in the NHL.

Henrique for Gagner probably works for both teams but I am not sure that the Devils would do it. Henrique does not have Gagner`s skills but he is way better defensively.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Mr Sakich

If we can't get scriven's autograph on a contract before the deadline, do we trade him? We could sign him in the summer, just like any other team.

With Miller possibly resigning in Buffalo, Scrivens may be the premium goaltender available at the deadline. There are a few teams like washinton and st louis who are not 100% confident in their goaltending.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

I wonder if the Oilers claim Braken(sp) Kearns off waivers today? SJ waived him yesterday, I don't see this guy clearing.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:50 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I wonder if the Oilers claim Braken(sp) Kearns off waivers today? SJ waived him yesterday, I don't see this guy clearing.
The Oilers never claim players we hope they will so I'll go with no I don't think they will. But also I don't see how Kearns would really fit on this team.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
The Oilers never claim players we hope they will so I'll go with no I don't think they will. But also I don't see how Kearns would really fit on this team.
If you think he's a 3rd line-ish player with size, he probably fits there with Hendricks and Gordon.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
belair

With all of the Dave Bolland talk, it may be possible that he's our Clarkson this summer. If he hits the UFA market, might MacT throw a $5m deal with term at him?

If we can move Gagner for another piece of the puzzle, it wouldn't be a bad fit. He's a Canuck killer and has played very well in his short time with the Leafs.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
With all of the Dave Bolland talk, it may be possible that he's our Clarkson this summer. If he hits the UFA market, might MacT throw a $5m deal with term at him?

If we can move Gagner for another piece of the puzzle, it wouldn't be a bad fit. He's a Canuck killer and has played very well in his short time with the Leafs.
Makes sense, though I'd be happier at $4M~ish. I think the Oilers have high enough end talent on the wings to have a less "talented" center down the middle on the 2nd line if he's a solid two-way players.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
The big thing for me is why does a team like Toronto who has struggled to find good centers let their hometown boy go?

Answer is simple, he's made of glass and not worthy of a long-term deal.

Old
02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
backhandsauce

Do you think the Kings would part with Derek Forbort?

Old
02-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
32 year old with 28 career NHL games and 4 points to his name. Am I missing something? Too be honest I don't think I've ever even heard of him.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
32 year old with 28 career NHL games and 4 points to his name. Am I missing something? Too be honest I don't think I've ever even heard of him.
I suspect 3 of those 4 points came against us

Old
02-25-2014, 02:27 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Do you think the Kings would part with Derek Forbort?
For the right price I definitely think they would. They're in win now mode.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:29 PM
armandh01

I hope if Hemsky goes to DET we can find a way to scrape a package together for Abdelkader.

Perron - Gordon - Abdelkader would be a pretty ****ing sweet 3rd line.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:33 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I hope if Hemsky goes to DET we can find a way to scrape a package together for Abdelkader.

Perron - Gordon - Abdelkader would be a pretty ****ing sweet 3rd line.
Andelkader is having a breakout offensive year. I can't see them trading him, especially because of the other traits he brings to the table.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:44 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

I sure hope not. Bolland was an average 3c when he left Chicago, hes no longer the excellent 3c he used to be. Bolland was also tried out at 2c in Chicago and it didn't work out. His decline play plus his injury problems do not make him worth 5m to me

I am completely fine with Gordon as our 3c.

If we could somehow get Bolland for 3m thatd be great. Id be more comfortable putting 1 of Gordon/Bolland on the wing on the 3rd line rather than sending them to the blackhole that is the fourth line.

A 3rd line of Bolland-Gordon-Lander would work for me

Old
02-25-2014, 02:53 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Andelkader is having a breakout offensive year. I can't see them trading him, especially because of the other traits he brings to the table.
Riley Sheahan is the guy I'd be pushing for, but that isnt happening.

Closed Thread