HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2014, 06:55 PM
  #576
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Hall has spent just as much time with both Gagner and Nuge as his center as he did with Henrique in the 2 years they were linemates in Windsor. What makes you think he has any more chemistry with Henrique than he does with the guys we already have?
Same type of argument was made with Pouliot and Crosby when Oiler fans were trying to think he had value and occassionally with Gagner and Kane as well.

For some reason guys playing together for a year or two in junior no matter how long ago it was always makes people think they will have chemistry still.

Spawn is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 07:00 PM
  #577
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,541
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
A bottom pairing dman and a guy trying to find his game in the AHL (could be a 3rd liner or a complete bust)... not really much of a return imo.
You make it sound like a 20 year old finding his game in the AHL is a bad thing haha.

Recent first round pick scoring at a 50 point pace since his slow start(1 point in first 12 games) as an AHL rookie.


Seems like a perfect return when you include Fayne who is a capable middle pairing guy.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 07:00 PM
  #578
dyzfunctioned
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Hemsky @ 50% + Ference to BOS for.... ??

I am not sold on Ference.. way too expensive for a 3rd pairing Dman who isnt physically imposing nor an offensive threat. Steady Staios v2.0 .
We will get the best bang for buck for him from Bruins since they seem to love him. Maybe retain a million here as well to get a better return.
BOS let him go because they didn't want to pay a depth d-man too much. Then we signed him to a longer contract than anyone else would offer him. So why would BOS take him back?

dyzfunctioned is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 07:15 PM
  #579
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Ference would be a good pickup for a team looking for a decent depth dman with plenty of experience for a playoff run... unfortunately that contract is a killer and makes him hard to move.


2nd best option... Nick Schultz... moved for something small.
2015 Oiler problems: "We need a reliable bottom pairing D to stabilize the back end"

Ference needs to stay on the Oilers. A) He is an actual NHL D, something wed have few of if he was dealt B) He would fetch a low pick if traded

We should trading prospects for vets, not the other way around

topchowda is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 07:15 PM
  #580
HeavyHitter99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Gagner @ 1 mill salary retained for next year + Ales Hemsky @ 700k retained for the year

for

Adam Larsson + Damien Brunner
New Jersey would easily decline. Larsson has so much potential and they just drafted him 4th overall in 2011. Don't think they'll give up on him yet.

HeavyHitter99 is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
  #581
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Oilers would make great trade partners with the Devils, Predators, Canucks, and Blue Jackets.

All have ample D but need young offensive players. Canucks and Devils are aging and need youth.

I would love to try and get 2 or 3 of Larsson, Greene and Henrique from NJD for 2 of Gagner, Eberle, 1st (2014 or 15).

Greene is a criminally underrated D, close to top pairing

topchowda is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 07:23 PM
  #582
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
You make it sound like a 20 year old finding his game in the AHL is a bad thing haha.

Recent first round pick scoring at a 50 point pace since his slow start(1 point in first 12 games) as an AHL rookie.


Seems like a perfect return when you include Fayne who is a capable middle pairing guy.
Well I guess you value them higher than I do.

Maybe I undervalue Fayne somewhat but I don't see Matteau as any better than Pitlick who's basically in the same position (although a bit older).

I guess having both Matteau AND Pitlick does double the odds of having one of them play a bottom 6 role sometime in the semi-near future.

I'm not the biggest Gagner fan (far from it) but I was still hoping for a more impactful player than those 2.

Saying that... it may be a "realistic" return for Gagner.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 07:34 PM
  #583
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,541
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well I guess you value them higher than I do.

Maybe I undervalue Fayne somewhat but I don't see Matteau as any better than Pitlick who's basically in the same position (although a bit older).

I guess having both Matteau AND Pitlick does double the odds of having one of them play a bottom 6 role sometime in the semi-near future.

I'm not the biggest Gagner fan (far from it) but I was still hoping for a more impactful player than those 2.

Saying that... it may be a "realistic" return for Gagner.
I could see Matteau ending up a 2nd liner in the less talented/heavy lifting type of role.

He's definitely more talented than Pitlick. Much grittier too.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 07:56 PM
  #584
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I could see Matteau ending up a 2nd liner in the less talented/heavy lifting type of role.

He's definitely more talented than Pitlick. Much grittier too.
Didn't he also quit on his QMJHL team 2 games into a playoff series for being benched?

40oz is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 07:28 AM
  #585
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
How about Henrique + Merrill for Gagner plus something small?
You may not get either of those guys for Gagner straight up. Merril is basically their Klefbom but he is older and is already playing real minutes in the NHL.

Henrique for Gagner probably works for both teams but I am not sure that the Devils would do it. Henrique does not have Gagner`s skills but he is way better defensively.

Fourier is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 08:08 AM
  #586
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,100
vCash: 500
If we can't get scriven's autograph on a contract before the deadline, do we trade him? We could sign him in the summer, just like any other team.

With Miller possibly resigning in Buffalo, Scrivens may be the premium goaltender available at the deadline. There are a few teams like washinton and st louis who are not 100% confident in their goaltending.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
  #587
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,266
vCash: 500
I wonder if the Oilers claim Braken(sp) Kearns off waivers today? SJ waived him yesterday, I don't see this guy clearing.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 09:50 AM
  #588
HeavyHitter99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I wonder if the Oilers claim Braken(sp) Kearns off waivers today? SJ waived him yesterday, I don't see this guy clearing.
The Oilers never claim players we hope they will so I'll go with no I don't think they will. But also I don't see how Kearns would really fit on this team.

HeavyHitter99 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
  #589
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
The Oilers never claim players we hope they will so I'll go with no I don't think they will. But also I don't see how Kearns would really fit on this team.
If you think he's a 3rd line-ish player with size, he probably fits there with Hendricks and Gordon.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
  #590
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,136
vCash: 500
With all of the Dave Bolland talk, it may be possible that he's our Clarkson this summer. If he hits the UFA market, might MacT throw a $5m deal with term at him?

If we can move Gagner for another piece of the puzzle, it wouldn't be a bad fit. He's a Canuck killer and has played very well in his short time with the Leafs.

belair is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 10:23 AM
  #591
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
With all of the Dave Bolland talk, it may be possible that he's our Clarkson this summer. If he hits the UFA market, might MacT throw a $5m deal with term at him?

If we can move Gagner for another piece of the puzzle, it wouldn't be a bad fit. He's a Canuck killer and has played very well in his short time with the Leafs.
Makes sense, though I'd be happier at $4M~ish. I think the Oilers have high enough end talent on the wings to have a less "talented" center down the middle on the 2nd line if he's a solid two-way players.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
  #592
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
The big thing for me is why does a team like Toronto who has struggled to find good centers let their hometown boy go?

Answer is simple, he's made of glass and not worthy of a long-term deal.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
  #593
backhandsauce
Registered User
 
backhandsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 500
Do you think the Kings would part with Derek Forbort?

backhandsauce is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 02:18 PM
  #594
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I wonder if the Oilers claim Braken(sp) Kearns off waivers today? SJ waived him yesterday, I don't see this guy clearing.
32 year old with 28 career NHL games and 4 points to his name. Am I missing something? Too be honest I don't think I've ever even heard of him.

Spawn is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 02:20 PM
  #595
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
32 year old with 28 career NHL games and 4 points to his name. Am I missing something? Too be honest I don't think I've ever even heard of him.
I suspect 3 of those 4 points came against us

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 02:27 PM
  #596
HeavyHitter99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Do you think the Kings would part with Derek Forbort?
For the right price I definitely think they would. They're in win now mode.

HeavyHitter99 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 02:29 PM
  #597
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
I hope if Hemsky goes to DET we can find a way to scrape a package together for Abdelkader.

Perron - Gordon - Abdelkader would be a pretty ****ing sweet 3rd line.

armandh01 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 02:33 PM
  #598
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I hope if Hemsky goes to DET we can find a way to scrape a package together for Abdelkader.

Perron - Gordon - Abdelkader would be a pretty ****ing sweet 3rd line.
Andelkader is having a breakout offensive year. I can't see them trading him, especially because of the other traits he brings to the table.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 02:44 PM
  #599
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
With all of the Dave Bolland talk, it may be possible that he's our Clarkson this summer. If he hits the UFA market, might MacT throw a $5m deal with term at him?

If we can move Gagner for another piece of the puzzle, it wouldn't be a bad fit. He's a Canuck killer and has played very well in his short time with the Leafs.
I sure hope not. Bolland was an average 3c when he left Chicago, hes no longer the excellent 3c he used to be. Bolland was also tried out at 2c in Chicago and it didn't work out. His decline play plus his injury problems do not make him worth 5m to me

I am completely fine with Gordon as our 3c.

If we could somehow get Bolland for 3m thatd be great. Id be more comfortable putting 1 of Gordon/Bolland on the wing on the 3rd line rather than sending them to the blackhole that is the fourth line.

A 3rd line of Bolland-Gordon-Lander would work for me

topchowda is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 02:53 PM
  #600
MinnesotaFats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,983
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Andelkader is having a breakout offensive year. I can't see them trading him, especially because of the other traits he brings to the table.
Riley Sheahan is the guy I'd be pushing for, but that isnt happening.

MinnesotaFats is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.