HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2014, 09:23 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Is it just me or is this a little petty from St. Louis? The GM of your team is also the GM of team Canada and he leaves you off. So you request a trade?

They should be independent from each other and it screams unprofessional for a guy to request a trade for not (initially) making the best team in the world.
I don't think it's all petty. His GM basically spit last years top scorer in his face. I would have done exactly the same thing. No confidence, no trust.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:34 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
I don't think it's all petty. His GM basically spit last years top scorer in his face. I would have done exactly the same thing. No confidence, no trust.
It has nothing to do with that. Yzerman had to go with the rest of the staff on the team. What is he going to say,You all want another player but I am going to put my player on the team. If he did that it would of showed that he is not a professional and can't make the hard decisions.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:37 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
It has nothing to do with that. Yzerman had to go with the rest of the staff on the team. What is he going to say,You all want another player but I am going to put my player on the team. If he did that it would of showed that he is not a professional and can't make the hard decisions.
It's hardly a hard decision to put Marty St. Louis, his own captain, on Team Canada. That's a giant snub. All bonds of trust are broken at that point.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:03 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Why do people just assume Hemsky will want to resign here?

He's not going to play in the top six here, the organization has to make a commitment to Yakupov and stick with it.

He's not going to make the playoffs here and he's wasted most of his prime years.

He hasn't played in a single meaningful game in an Oilers uniform in like six years. We saw what he did at the Olympics when the game's actually meant something ... for his own sake he needs to get the hell outta here and fast.
If he wants to play meaningful games this year, he's likely gonna get a chance to. But there's a good possibility that he's bought in to the whole 'rebuild' that our management has gone head first into.

If he sees himself as a piece of the puzzle that gets us there, why doesn't he sign?

The financial situation is the big factor for me though. Because the years of him being a $5m player are long gone and rarely have we seen players take a pay-cut when re-signing with a team.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:51 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
It's hardly a hard decision to put Marty St. Louis, his own captain, on Team Canada. That's a giant snub. All bonds of trust are broken at that point.
but it's obvious looking at the way that team played that offensive numbers weren't the primary focus there. They wanted a specific type of team there, one that could just own the puck and win physical battles and all that stuff. St.Louis was getting pushed off the puck fairly regularly when he played and I really don't think he fit what they were looking for in this team. Probably was added after Stamkos was ruled out just to try and smooth things over. I lost a lot of respect for St.Louis after he threw a fit. Even in the post game comments he seemed upset that he didn't play more... I just don't get it. Team Canada is the hardest team to make and they have the luxury of selecting not just the best players but guys who fit what they're looking for, it's not the kind of thing that a guy should get bent out of shape over.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:57 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
So then Hall and Eberle should complain that Lowe didn't get them on the team? Leading the league in scoring doesn't mean you're a fit for the team. And watching that team, you could tell he didn't quite fit the style of play they were trying to build.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:04 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
I am shocked there has not been more trades

Old
02-25-2014, 12:25 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Teams tight to the cap might be waiting until right to the deadline to make additions.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:29 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
That's overkill for 2-way centers, then people would be saying "why do have all that talent on the wings and no big time center for them to play with?". Couturier + Bozak/Gordon would be more than good enough.

They should have traded up in the draft to take both RNH and Couturier.
Hey, has anybody seen the Rumour thread? Can you point me in the right direction please.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:28 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Hey, has anybody seen the Rumour thread? Can you point me in the right direction please.
Me too.... Seems the link is broken and it took me to the mainboard where they are kvetching about MSL

Old
02-25-2014, 07:49 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Old
02-25-2014, 08:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Pretty much. People complain about nepotism and favoritism all the time with the Oilers, but they want it to be there for the selection process of team canada?

My other question is does MSL now not want to go to the other teams who's GM's/coaches were apart of the selection process?

Old
02-25-2014, 08:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
You know how your mom or dad use to say "would you jump of the bridge if so and so did"? Well NHL Gm's wait for that first guy to jump and then they all take the plunge.

There is something about waiting until the bitter end to make a deal that makes the GM's feel so smart.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Pretty much. People complain about nepotism and favoritism all the time with the Oilers, but they want it to be there for the selection process of team canada?

My other question is does MSL now not want to go to the other teams who's GM's/coaches were apart of the selection process?
It's not nepotism when the player deserves to be on the team. Has actual merit. That kind of stuff.

It's not like we're talking about a scrub. This guy has art ross trophies and is always sniffing around the top of the league scoring.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:24 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
You know how your mom or dad use to say "would you jump of the bridge if so and so did"? Well NHL Gm's wait for that first guy to jump and then they all take the plunge.

There is something about waiting until the bitter end to make a deal that makes the GM's feel so smart.
i think it also has to do with the top guys available.

ex. Ryan Miller - buffalo holds out as long as possible to get the best possible offer for miller. in the meantime teams that want miller say ANA or NYI are sitting on that deal. Maybe Ana has a deal for hiller but they wont make it until a miller trade happens ex ex like a domino effect. my guess is teams are waiting to see the price on Miller, Callahan, Vanek, Girardi and then when those pieces fall the dominoes all fall quick.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:25 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It's not nepotism when the player deserves to be on the team. Has actual merit. That kind of stuff.

It's not like we're talking about a scrub. This guy has art ross trophies and is always sniffing around the top of the league scoring.
exactly if daryl Katz kids was scotty bowman no one would be crying about nepotism if he became our coach

Old
02-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444622

Quote:
Blue line help in Philly?

Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com writes that the Philadelphia Flyers will need an 'impact defenceman' if they want to make the playoffs, thinking that a player like Andrew MacDonald of the New York Islanders, Winnipeg Jets blueliner Dustin Byfuglien, Nick Schultz of the Oilers, Calgary's Dennis Wideman and Dallas Stars defenceman Trevor Daley could be a fit.
It's speculation, but it's at least a possible destination for Nick Schultz. What can we expect in return? low picks? prospects, salary dump?

Old
02-25-2014, 09:37 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post

It's speculation, but it's at least a possible destination for Nick Schultz. What can we expect in return? low picks? prospects, salary dump?
It's odd they mention an "impact" d-man and mention Nick Schultz..

Old
02-25-2014, 09:40 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
It's odd they mention an "impact" d-man and mention Nick Schultz..
to be fair they didnt say positive or negative impact.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post

Honestly, I would love to see Schultz with a retention for Mezsaros and a pick, then flip Mezsaros to someone for something. It's like a 2 for 1

Old
02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
to be fair they didnt say positive or negative impact.
Good point...haha

Old
02-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Oilerz

Quote:

I think it's thot most everybody knows that a GM will never give his best offer until the last minute because thats when he's afraid he may lose the player to another team. Thats the feeling the selling GM wants the other to feel I'd imagine.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Dave

interesting
Quote:
Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 3m

Craig MacTavish will be watching practice. Some point during/after he's expected to address the media.Will be interesting to hear MacT speak

Old
02-25-2014, 12:26 PM
joestevens29

Honestly I don't know why Gene thinks it will be interesting. If there was anything worth while to talk about we would've heard about it by now. It's probably the normal pre-TDD talk?

Old
02-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
interesting
Craig Mactavish - "I decided to watch the Oilers practice, and I felt we need to make a few changes, so before TDD, Daryl Katz and I have decided to trade the Oilers for the Flames. Daryl and I felt we shouldn't stop the rebuild so we want to make it longer."

Closed Thread