And so the renewals start

Old
01-21-2014, 12:18 PM
hockeyarena
is a great game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
One thing I'm not sure of but I read somewhere that Winnipeg is second highest in the league for tickets (behind Toronto), is this true?
Our average ticket price is 2nd on the planet for hockey yes. However Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc. have thousands more seats and more boxes every night and thus take in far more revenue. Their higher ticket price is higher and their lowest ticket price is lower but on average we are 2nd.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
allthisgold

Please people stop complaining about the deposit. You are committing to an additional term however the team is also allowing you to retain the seats for that term. The term is necessary as it protects the team from people cancelling their tickets if/when unpopular moves are made or the team has an extended period of time where it does not perform. The deposit is the thing that will prevent people from not renewing. If you are not truly committed then the team would rather sell the tickets to someone who is while there still are other people who would pony up.

Season ticket holders in the past term have fulfilled their end of the bargain by paying for the duration of the term. It is now your right to have the deposit refunded. However an additional deposit is rightly required for this new/next term.

Also, you pay a very reduced rate for seats compared to non-season ticket holders and also have the ability to make money from selling your tickets.

Ticket prices may/should rise every year... just like your wage or salary. This is not unique to sports tickets.

allthisgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:43 PM
allthisgold

...also if the team has about $9M or $10M in deposit cash sitting on hand I would hope that they are using the money and it is not just sitting there. The financial success of the team should be on the minds of every true Jets fan. Most importantly it helps to secure the future of the team in Winnipeg and also it will help to pay for upgrades to the building (I am looking forward to new screens on the score clock) and the signing of players.

allthisgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:42 PM
JetsTrueNorth

First off, I have no major complaints about the organization and plan on renewing my half season ticket either way, but this one issue kinda made me scratch my head a little.

I own one P6 half season and sit next to 2 friends who also own a half season. We're in the middle of the row and everyone in our row is a season ticket holder (minus 1 seat).

The seat directly next to my buddy is a single seat (not owned by anyone). For the 1st half of the inaugural season, the seat was always occupied by someone. As year 1 came to a close, the seat usually remained empty. In year 2, every other game the seat was empty. This season the seat has been empty most games.

Half way through season 2, I called my ticket rep who confirmed that the seat was a single seat used for the "random draws", and confirmed that it had been empty for many games. My 2 buddies and I discussed the single seat and thought it would only make sense to see if it was available for purchase as between the 3 people and our expanding families, one of us could use the extra seat every other game (at least it wouldn't be empty). Besides, the seat had been empty 75% of time, I fully doubt anyone on the "waiting list" is wanting just 1 ticket in P6 (and if there is someone on the waiting list that wants one they should get priority over us definitely), and the "random draw" idea has clearly fizzled as even I (a season ticket holder) get emails on most game days advising me of single seats available for discounted prices. At that time, our rep added our interest in the seat to our file and said they'd look into it at renewal time.

So now it's renewal time, and our rep said their main focus is on relocating people. Relocating to where?? There's very few people giving up their tickets, and the ones that are being given up should be going to "waiting list people" I'd hope. I'd be fine with the single ticket in our section going to a "waiting list" fan, but who wants to commit for 3+ years on a single seat by themselves. My rep further said the seat was for the "random draws", but they'd keep our interest documented in our file in case they changed their mind.

If the seat was occupied for every game, I wouldn't have even noticed it and we would've had no interest in same. So instead of having someone commit $1300 a year for 3 or more years in that seat, you rather sell it at a discounted price for half the year and have it empty for the other half???

I've been a Winnipeger my entire life and we are "bandwagon fans". Demand has clearly dropped off a little from year one and I knew it would. Tickets are readily available for almost every game through "Seat Exchange", Kijiji (for face value), and even Ticketmaster on game days.

Like I said, either way I'll be renewing my ticket, but those "random draw" single seats will soon add up and hit the Jets in the pocket book.

JetsTrueNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Tarks
True North

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsTrueNorth View Post
First off, I have no major complaints about the organization and plan on renewing my half season ticket either way, but this one issue kinda made me scratch my head a little.

I own one P6 half season and sit next to 2 friends who also own a half season. We're in the middle of the row and everyone in our row is a season ticket holder (minus 1 seat).

The seat directly next to my buddy is a single seat (not owned by anyone). For the 1st half of the inaugural season, the seat was always occupied by someone. As year 1 came to a close, the seat usually remained empty. In year 2, every other game the seat was empty. This season the seat has been empty most games.

Half way through season 2, I called my ticket rep who confirmed that the seat was a single seat used for the "random draws", and confirmed that it had been empty for many games. My 2 buddies and I discussed the single seat and thought it would only make sense to see if it was available for purchase as between the 3 people and our expanding families, one of us could use the extra seat every other game (at least it wouldn't be empty). Besides, the seat had been empty 75% of time, I fully doubt anyone on the "waiting list" is wanting just 1 ticket in P6 (and if there is someone on the waiting list that wants one they should get priority over us definitely), and the "random draw" idea has clearly fizzled as even I (a season ticket holder) get emails on most game days advising me of single seats available for discounted prices. At that time, our rep added our interest in the seat to our file and said they'd look into it at renewal time.

So now it's renewal time, and our rep said their main focus is on relocating people. Relocating to where?? There's very few people giving up their tickets, and the ones that are being given up should be going to "waiting list people" I'd hope. I'd be fine with the single ticket in our section going to a "waiting list" fan, but who wants to commit for 3+ years on a single seat by themselves. My rep further said the seat was for the "random draws", but they'd keep our interest documented in our file in case they changed their mind.

If the seat was occupied for every game, I wouldn't have even noticed it and we would've had no interest in same. So instead of having someone commit $1300 a year for 3 or more years in that seat, you rather sell it at a discounted price for half the year and have it empty for the other half???

I've been a Winnipeger my entire life and we are "bandwagon fans". Demand has clearly dropped off a little from year one and I knew it would. Tickets are readily available for almost every game through "Seat Exchange", Kijiji (for face value), and even Ticketmaster on game days.

Like I said, either way I'll be renewing my ticket, but those "random draw" single seats will soon add up and hit the Jets in the pocket book.
I always thought that TNSE was only allowed to sell a certain % of season tickets. Perhaps they are capped out?

Tarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 01:13 PM
CFN8TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Lets try and get a dollar value behind these rewards points!

So I looked on the jets rewards catalog and see that one of the options is a Jets Gear gift cards for 1250 reward points.....My guess is it is a $25 gift card? So $25/1250 pts=$0.02

Each point is worth 2 cents at jets gear store?

So if you spend $5000 per year on season tickets and choose to extend for 6 years to get the max bonus you could get (10,000 X $0.02) $200 a year is gift cards vs (5,000 X $0.02) $100 with a 3 year agreement?

Hope my math is close

I don't think it's that generous. Another Jets Reward is 2,500 points for VIP Cityplace Parkade parking. Given Cityplace event parking is currently $10.00., then each point is worth $0.004. ($10/2500). Using your example again, now we have (10,000 X $0.004) $40/year in bonus points vs (5,000 X $0.004) $20/year with a 3 year agreement.

An extra $20/year for locking in for 6. Personally, that is not enough incentive. I will hedge my bet and see if they up the ante another three years from now.

CFN8TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 01:22 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFN8TD View Post
I don't think it's that generous. Another Jets Reward is 2,500 points for VIP Cityplace Parkade parking. Given Cityplace event parking is currently $10.00., then each point is worth $0.004. ($10/2500). Using your example again, now we have (10,000 X $0.004) $40/year in bonus points vs (5,000 X $0.004) $20/year with a 3 year agreement.

An extra $20/year for locking in for 6. Personally, that is not enough incentive. I will hedge my bet and see if they up the ante another three years from now.
I don't think all rewards are calculated with that math but it would be interesting to figure it out. Some things you can only estimate retail value for, though, but I think the Jets gear gift cards are a good estimator

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Genova

How long has the Jets Reward website been up and functional? If there is no indication of the gift card $ amount, I find that peculiar.

Can we renew our tickets early? I want double/triple points now.

Genova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 03:07 PM
tbcwpg

Can't redeem points until march so there aren't any GC values up yet

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 03:13 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Can't redeem points until march so there aren't any GC values up yet
I have a feeling they will probably be $10 GC not the $25 that I used in my initial calculations....it would make each reward point worth less then 1 cent in terms of GC value.

This makes panda bear sad

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 05:13 PM
scopar
Oh Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I would have preferred a commitment to season ticket pricing over some coupons.
Actually going for a 6 year term is exactly what you just said. A 6 year term guarantees that your ticket prices won't increase beyond 3% per year. A shorter renewal means they can increase your price above the 3% at your next renewal.

I went with 6 years because I am okay with 3% per year (I am guaranteed that it won't exceed that, though I hope they don't do 3% every year). To be honest though, I don't see prices increasing above 3% until we make a deepish cup run. However I did the 6 years for the cost certainty. The rewards played little to no part in my decision.

scopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Repoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopar View Post
Actually going for a 6 year term is exactly what you just said. A 6 year term guarantees that your ticket prices won't increase beyond 3% per year. A shorter renewal means they can increase your price above the 3% at your next renewal.
I doubt that would happen. Could you have people paying different amounts for the same seats? Does any other team do this?

Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 10:59 PM
chancemc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsTrueNorth View Post

some people will likely be relocated as too make some of those single seats into pairs so they will sell much easiar

chancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 11:10 PM
JC Numminen
#goldrush

vCash: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancemc View Post
some people will likely be relocated as too make some of those single seats into pairs so they will sell much easiar
Exactly what I was thinking. The singles could start not selling in a year or two some nights but pairs will. If they can arrange it so there are no single seats it would be very smart.

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 02:10 AM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
I doubt that would happen. Could you have people paying different amounts for the same seats? Does any other team do this?
If you bought a condo 3 years ago, and someone buys the one next door with the exact same layout tomorrow, is it the same price?

I doubt they would do it, but they'll do a hard sell and that is basically the implied threat to get people to lock up for more years. The market for tickets is settling though, so in 3 more years the value of seats is unlikely to increase above a few percent a year.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Vapour Trails

My issue with the price increases is that they are above the level of inflation in the general economy (1-1.5%). So tickets are increasing faster than the price of everything else. 1% over inflation might not seem like much in the short term, but go out a couple decades and prices could be far beyond what most people could afford.

$100 ticket with 1.5% price inflation per year is 134.69 in 20 years

$100 ticket with 2.5% price inflation per year is 163.86 in 20 years, 22% more.

Don't even get me started on concession and parking price inflation, which runs at about 5% per year, over 3 times the rate of inflation.

Last edited by Vapour Trails: 01-26-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Vapour Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:00 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Renewal deadline has passed. It will be interesting to see the renewal rate numbers. Did anyone on the forum not renew their seats?

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:04 PM
seasontixholder*

There has been posts earlier on what a season ticket holder pays per game by dividing the whole season but that's not taking in the a, b, c game pricing. Anyone figure that out?

seasontixholder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:13 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
There has been posts earlier on what a season ticket holder pays per game by dividing the whole season but that's not taking in the a, b, c game pricing. Anyone figure that out?
How does A-B-C game pricing affect season ticket holders? Those are for walk-ups. You pay one price for the whole season. Only way it impacts you as a season ticket holder is if you are selling your tickets on Seat Exchange.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:41 PM
castle

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
How does A-B-C game pricing affect season ticket holders? Those are for walk-ups. You pay one price for the whole season. Only way it impacts you as a season ticket holder is if you are selling your tickets on Seat Exchange.
yeah... I'm not sure what there is to figure out. total$/#games. no a, b, or c

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 03:06 PM
seasontixholder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Going through a divorce. Trying to figure out what the tickets are by game. She just wants a few games. I just signed the new contract in my name (It was before too) but wanted to give her the games for what I pay for by game pricing minus the face value.

Old
03-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Gm0ney
Wet roads cause rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
Going through a divorce. Trying to figure out what the tickets are by game. She just wants a few games. I just signed the new contract in my name (It was before too) but wanted to give her the games for what I pay for by game pricing minus the face value.
Here's the STH pricing page: http://jets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=91590
And here's the Walk-up pricing page: http://jets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=91591

Rule of thumb:
A games = STH avg + 55%
B games = STH avg + 40%
C games = STH avg + 25%

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 03:22 PM
seasontixholder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Here's the STH pricing page: http://jets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=91590
And here's the Walk-up pricing page: http://jets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=91591

Rule of thumb:
A games = STH avg + 55%
B games = STH avg + 40%
C games = STH avg + 25%

Thank you my friend!

Old
03-03-2014, 03:58 PM
castle

vCash: 1000
just so you know that won't quite work for you. the C games will be below average. maybe even the B games depending on how many games are considered A games. i.e., the season ticket price for the various games can't all be above average! You'll have to do some more fancy math.

not so hard apparently

season ticket prices for

P2

$132.04
$119.21
$106.39

P3

$108.84
$98.27
$87.69

P4

$91.43
$82.55
$73.67

P5

$74.03
$66.84
$59.65

P6

A $60.22
B $54.37
C $48.52

P7

$45.03
$40.65
$36.28

so yes, even the B games are lower than the average price for a season ticket holder

P1 without the $500

$149.44
$134.93
$120.41

with the $500

$161.72
$146.01
$130.30

The half season packages can't really be estimated unless you want to go through the schedule and identify how many A B and C each half has.

Last edited by castle: 03-03-2014 at 04:12 PM.
castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 04:05 PM
seasontixholder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
just so you know that won't quite work for you. the C games will be below average. maybe even the B games depending on how many games are considered A games. i.e., the season ticket price for the various games can't all be above average! You'll have to do some more fancy math.

not so hard apparently

season ticket prices for P6

A $60.22
B $54.37
C $48.52
I'm in the poor section. P7. Anyone got the exact calculation?