HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

hatcher??

Old
02-13-2007, 04:56 PM
serum114

vCash: 500
I've hated Hatcher for many moons (liked his brother though), however if he's coming with Pitkanen I'll pick him up from the airport. Besides, wouldn't it be fun to see him teach Greene how to be a vicious little bastid?

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Oil_Magic

Send a message via MSN to Oil_Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Let the record show that it is 10 minutes and counting from Stauffer's inevitable "I just talked with the leprechaun on my shoulder as of 15 minutes ago and he said the Oilers have NOTHING ON THE FRONT BURNER! NOTHING!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"
Truer words have never been spoken!
too bad

Oil_Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
oiler4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the CuP View Post
Harvey was a good Oiler and played his role well. I don't regret the Oilers picking him up one bit. The guy is the definition of class, and one hell of a role player. He's the type of player we could have used this year, with Moreau being out.
that was one devilish post you had 666. Yes I do agree with you, Harvey was a role player and he did a fine job for us.

oiler4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Mr Sakich

since clarke left, the new GM has to put his mark on the team. He will be shown the door if Philly fortunes don't turn around next year because Philly fans aren't real patient.

Trading Pitkanen and Hatcher frees up a lot of salary for next year. They will be under 25 million with 16 guys signed. Assuming a 48 million dollar cap, they can chase a lot of ufa. This number inlcudes gagne's 5.25 mill.

While it seems impossible that anyone would trade a Pitkanen, the circumstances in Philly might allow this to happen.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Matts

How many years left on Hatcher's pact?

Lupul plus Gilbert for Pitkanen just wouldn't be a fair trade so maybe the Oilers have to take back the Hillbilly and his money owed just to make it worth Philly's while as they chase some of Drury, Briere and Timmonen come July 1st.

BTW..when it is that Hatcher became too slow to play in the NHL? Is it because the Sabres owned the Flyers last spring? Well guess what Buf was on their way to knocking off the champion Canes in the same manner before they lost all their dmen and couldn't get the puck out of their own end. I think both Hartcher and Ratje get a bad name because it's the "new" NHL and some of the mites up front like Briere and St. Louis are starting to score. That doesn't mean that big savvy guys still can't play. Hatcher was +2 last year and wouldn't you guess he was playing tough min? And he's -16 this year but he's +7 in his last five games. Personally I'd welcome the guy as it would be great to shelve two of 2-5-47 heading down the stretch. My problem with this move is that the EIG is so $$$$$$$ cheap that there's no way I see them committing to the rest of Hartcher's pact.

But as an on ice move? I say bring it.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:35 PM
alanschu

Couldn't the Oilers (especially with the money some feel they are making) take on the Hatcher contract, and then just buy him out?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:36 PM
stangconv

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
Lupul plus Gilbert for Pitkanen just wouldn't be a fair trade so maybe the Oilers have to take back the Hillbilly and his money owed just to make it worth Philly's while as they chase some of Drury, Briere and Timmonen come July 1st.

BTW..when it is that Hatcher became too slow to play in the NHL? Is it because the Sabres owned the Flyers last spring? Well guess what Buf was on their way to knocking off the champion Canes in the same manner before they lost all their dmen and couldn't get the puck out of their own end. I think both Hartcher and Ratje get a bad name because it's the "new" NHL and some of the mites up front like Briere and St. Louis are starting to score. That doesn't mean that big savvy guys still can't play. Hatcher was +2 last year and wouldn't you guess he was playing tough min? And he's -16 this year but he's +7 in his last five games. Personally I'd welcome the guy as it would be great to shelve two of 2-5-47 heading down the stretch. My problem with this move is that the EIG is so $$$$$$$ cheap that there's no way I see them committing to the rest of Hartcher's pact.

I believe he has 2 years after this

so 7 mill

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Spawn

Philly wouldn't trade pitkanen just to get rid of hatcher. From all reports hatcher hasn't been that bad this year, he is just really slow. He doesn't fit with what the Oilers need, our PK is already #2 in the league, and Smith, Staios, Greene are all better than hatcher, and all play a slightly similar game. I don't see why the Oilers need hatcher.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Hemsky4PM

Think of this...

Philly manages to lose over $7M from dumping Hatcher and Rathje (eventually retires) and sign Timonen AND a guy like Salo/Brewer/Stuart/Phillips. Then the draft Alzner with their high pick this summer. They lose Pitkanen but pick up a solid forward like Lupul, some more picks and a defenseman like Jason Smith.

Honestly, Hatcher and Pitkanen for J. Smith, Lupul, 1st and prospect would be fine and dandy IMO.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Oilerz

This is eirily like a thread I started 2 months ago and was laughed at so hard I had to change my avatar!!

Oilerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

the reason the oilers are not in position to make the playoffs is because of D..that is the bottom line.

and as a Canucks fan i really really hope you guys pick up hatcher because he wont make it that much better.......maybe he'll make it a bit better..but still wont be good enough to beat out van cgy or mini

Popcorn_Shrimp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:38 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post

I'm not as much of a hater of Hatcher as many of the posters on HF by a long shot. In fact, I think he still brings a lot of good things to the table. But to answer your question about when Hatcher became too slow for the NHL, it was long befor the "new NHL". He had noticeably lost a step after signing with the Redwings (even before the knee injury).

The biggest problem with him isn't that he can't help your team, rather, that he isn't a $3.5M defenceman anymore. The contract is what makes him so invaluable.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by polish_flyboi View Post
the reason the oilers are not in position to make the playoffs is because of D..that is the bottom line.

and as a Canucks fan i really really hope you guys pick up hatcher because he wont make it that much better.......maybe he'll make it a bit better..but still wont be good enough to beat out van cgy or mini
It's funny one cannot really call you a troll. But you seem to like coming on here once or twice a week to nicely remind us we are not as good as this team or that team or your fave team. Plus our D sucks and we will not make the playoffs. Just wondering how many times you think is enough to keep coming on here and saying this sort of stuff? We got the message on your opinion of our team after the first couple times at least.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
since clarke left, the new GM has to put his mark on the team. He will be shown the door if Philly fortunes don't turn around next year because Philly fans aren't real patient.
He's going to be shown the door regardless. He's the temp GM who many believe will soon be replaced by Don Luce.
Quote:
Trading Pitkanen and Hatcher frees up a lot of salary for next year. They will be under 25 million with 16 guys signed. Assuming a 48 million dollar cap, they can chase a lot of ufa. This number inlcudes gagne's 5.25 mill.
Say they do manage to free up "a lot of salary" by dumping Hatch. Now they need to sign another top-four defenseman to replace him at a going rate that is significantly higher. Trading Hatcher really isn't doing the Flyers a favor as much as some like to believe.
Quote:
While it seems impossible that anyone would trade a Pitkanen, the circumstances in Philly might allow this to happen.
Because Washington is going to miss the playoffs again, Ovechkin is available? I'm going to say this once, they aren't going to trade a top-pairing 23 year old defenseman with no.1 potential unless another defenseman (or two) is/are going back their way.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote