HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do we get better moving forward? No pun intended

Old
02-25-2014, 10:24 AM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
There are plenty of "Blockbuster" trades that only involve 1 star player: Ryan, Nash, Richards, Carter, etc.
Who do the Preds have to get that 1 star player in a "blockbuster" trade??

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:29 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
Josi would be the top player I would think (assuming Weber and Jones are off the table).

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Jim Matheson weighs in again

Quote:
Maybe you don't have to think of giving up Hall or RNH if you make a bold play for Weber.

When the Oilers dealt for Pronger in August of 2005, when he was 28, they only gave up Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch in a fair bit of highway robbery but for Brewer.

But when the Oilers moved Pronger to Anaheim in July of 2006, they got two good young players Joffrey Lupul and Ladi Smid, two first-rounders and a second-round pick. Five pieces for Pronger.

I know one thing: the Predators have not had a high-end centre, ever. David Legwand has put up points, but heís never been considered a first-line centre and a borderline top six guy around the league. They crave a centre.

I also know the Oilers' first-round pick this June is definitely in play if they canít get Barrie Colts defenceman Aaron Ekblad (41 points in 45 games, 21 goals, 79 PIMs). He could be the only junior in this yearís draft who can play in the NHL next season.

And they could give the Predators a defenceman (everybody but Justin Schultz, I'd surmise) in a Weber deal.

The Flyers were more than willing to give up four first-round picks as compensation for their 14-year, $110-million offer sheet for Weber that the Predators matched.

After this season, Weber will have 12 years and $82 million left on his Predators' contract.

He is due $14 million in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 ($13 million of that in a signing bonus) and $12 million in 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 ($8 million of that in a signing bonus).

His cap hit is $7.857 million over the term of the contract. He does not have a no-trade clause, so he canít thumb his nose at the Oilers.

I suspect the Flyers, who would still die to have Weber on their back-end, would give up centre Brayden Schenn and winger Jake Voracek and a defenceman or a first-round pick for Weber in a deal.

Admittedly, Schenn is not RNH. Voracek is not Hall. But the Flyers are well aware that Jones can be a franchise type blueliner and Josi is, at worst, a No. 3 NHL defender so Weber could be in play.

So, the Oilers have to get on this because the Predators have been hanging on for years with very little offensive juice.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Wilson, Smith, Forsberg, Josi, and our 2014 1st are all valuable potential trade chips.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Josi would be the top player I would think (assuming Weber and Jones are off the table).
Wilson and Smith may be considered blockbuster from within our organization, but it's completely possible that scouts and other GMs love their games and feel like they could get a lot of offensive prediction in their system.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:28 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

8 days till the deadline.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:43 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Wilson, Smith, Forsberg, Josi, and our 2014 1st are all valuable potential trade chips.
2014 1st and Josi have the most value but i am not sure they can bring in what the Preds really need.

Personally i wouldn't trade Smith or Forsberg the only two guys who give the offense hope.

I doubt Wilsons value is more than a late 2nd round pick at most.

Thoughts on who Josi and 2014 1st could bring?

Old
02-25-2014, 11:44 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
The Edmonton media and fans want Weber bad.. Bidding war incoming?

Old
02-25-2014, 11:55 AM
RCola88

vCash: 459
Quote:
2014 1st and Josi have the most value but i am not sure they can bring in what the Preds really need.

Personally i wouldn't trade Smith or Forsberg the only two guys who give the offense hope.

I doubt Wilsons value is more than a late 2nd round pick at most.

Thoughts on who Josi and 2014 1st could bring?
Eberle + Marincin would be ideal. Get that scorer and a potential top-4, big and LEFT HANDED. Very nice..

Eberle >= Josi
Marincin < top 10 pick

Oilers might add? Or take some cap from Eberle's contract which would be even sweeter.

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
The Edmonton media and fans want Weber bad.. Bidding war incoming?
I will say from the Flyers perspective some of us were willing to give up the price in the article for him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:03 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I will say from the Flyers perspective some of us were willing to give up the price in the article for him.
I would think long and hard at Voracek + B. Schenn + 2014 1st + Hagg

Now adding Hagg would be a stretch but we could throw in a pick or something, and this would help our D-depth some more. Which would be enticing.

Unless EDM offered Hall + 2015 1st + prospect

Old
02-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Does trading an elite Norris caliber defender ever work out?

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
I would think long and hard at Voracek + B. Schenn + 2014 1st + Hagg

Now adding Hagg would be a stretch but we could throw in a pick or something, and this would help our D-depth some more. Which would be enticing.

Unless EDM offered Hall + 2015 1st + prospect
I just find it hard to part with our number 2 center and out top line winger. I understand why it would cost that much but I don't think they could do it from a depth perspective. It would be a major pill to swallow.

Also, I don't think we include much after B. Schenn+Voracek+1st, especially not Hagg. The Flyers are extremely high on him and that would be a lot to give for any player in the league.

One other point, I do not think Edmonton would offer RNH or Hall. It would defeat the purpose of getting Weber. There offense wouldn't produce enough I would think for them if they traded Hall or RNH.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:11 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Does trading an elite Norris caliber defender ever work out?
Nope, that is why the Preds are demanding so much for him. It's not like we want him gone, not even in the slightest.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:17 PM
RCola88

Quote:
I just find it hard to part with our number 2 center and out top line winger. I understand why it would cost that much but I don't think they could do it from a depth perspective. It would be a major pill to swallow.

Also, I don't think we include much after B. Schenn+Voracek+1st, especially not Hagg. The Flyers are extremely high on him and that would be a lot to give for any player in the league.

One other point, I do not think Edmonton would offer RNH or Hall. It would defeat the purpose of getting Weber. There offense wouldn't produce enough I would think for them if they traded Hall or RNH.
Ah, I see. Didn't know much about his value, but it makes sense to not want to give away that muc. Nashville isn't looking to get rid of Weber, we have one of the highest potential defenses, so it only makes sense to shoot for the moon in a proposal

Old
02-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
My question is...in the picture, why is "Weber" left-handed and looking like Jonathan Toews?

Old
02-25-2014, 12:24 PM
glenngineer

The only team that has the depth and what we need, a number 1 center, for Weber is Colorado. They have 4 centers on the roster, one of which is a number 1 and three others that are really good players. If we weren't in the same division I'd make a trade for Duchene or MacKinnon as it helps both clubs. Unfortunately I don't see that deal happening. No other team in the NHL has the center depth to absorb the type of hit that it would cause. Unless a team like Washington is going to revamp and Backstrom is on the table, what other young number 1 center might be available?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Preds33

Quote:

Well trading Weber without that kind of return defeats the purpose of trading him.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I'm not trying to downplay the likelihood of them really, really wanting Weber, but how much of this is a product of how the Olympics played out, and he's basically a national hero right now. This will pass in time and he'll go back to just being another guy that any team would love to have. Edmonton has no real reason to make a move for him right now IMO

Old
02-25-2014, 12:44 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Well trading Weber without that kind of return defeats the purpose of trading him.
Yep. I keep bringing this up in all the "value of Weber" threads. The bottom line is, we want to keep him. So unless some real talent comes our way, then we'll keep our superstar D.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I get what you're saying and this is where the Weber debate gets beat into the ground constantly. There are people who believe it would require a #1 center back to get Weber. Just looking at recent trades though, #1 centers are very rarely traded. The one exception being Jumbo Joe. When Weber was being discussed with the Flyers the first time you guys wanted Schenn+Couts+++, which indicated you wouldn't be looking for a star center back, but one who could develop into one. That's pretty much how trades are done anymore in the NHL.

From my perspective, If Nashville ever moves Weber, it will be an indication they are going into a retooling process. Not necessarily a rebuild, but they would be gearing up for some offensive tools. You have the depth on the blue line that can sustain the group and grow together, it's just about finding that depth in your forward group.

Old
02-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I get what you're saying and this is where the Weber debate gets beat into the ground constantly. There are people who believe it would require a #1 center back to get Weber. Just looking at recent trades though, #1 centers are very rarely traded. The one exception being Jumbo Joe. When Weber was being discussed with the Flyers the first time you guys wanted Schenn+Couts+++, which indicated you wouldn't be looking for a star center back, but one who could develop into one. That's pretty much how trades are done anymore in the NHL.

From my perspective, If Nashville ever moves Weber, it will be an indication they are going into a retooling process. Not necessarily a rebuild, but they would be gearing up for some offensive tools. You have the depth on the blue line that can sustain the group and grow together, it's just about finding that depth in your forward group.
And we know why he was traded ... that was an ownership trade, not a hockey trade

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:

We're already in the middle of a retooling process and we just finished building our Defense up with the Klein trade. Trading Weber right now or in this off-season doesn't make sense and the article is no more than wishful thinking on his part.

If we ever move Weber it'll be because two teams were stupid enough to start a bidding war(Edmonton and Philly) and offered us a first line center and a top 4 defenseman and a 1-2 1st rounders and potentially more. We have literally no reason to trade him otherwise.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
We're already in the middle of a retooling process and we just finished building our Defense up with the Klein trade. Trading Weber right now or in this off-season doesn't make sense and the article is no more than wishful thinking on his part.

If we ever move Weber it'll be because two teams were stupid enough to start a bidding war(Edmonton and Philly) and offered us a first line center and a top 4 defenseman and a 1-2 1st rounders and potentially more. We have literally no reason to trade him otherwise.
I agree here but the fact we treaded for MDZ really only supports moving one of the top three. The logical choice would be Weber. Why? Because if a bidding war does start between say Philly and the Oil and perhaps Tampa wanting in as well. The haul Weber would bring would solidify the offense in a couple years and the blueline would begin to peak at this same time. Our fanbase has never been thru this, and while we would not want to actively market Weber there are teams out there that have the pieces to put together a offer that has to be considered.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:57 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Rarely does logic dictate trading away your best and really only franchise player.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote