HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Kostka

Old
02-23-2014, 09:44 PM
clydesdale line

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Brookbank is better positionally, more poised with the puck, and he brings an element of grit to our team that is lacking.
He also has better hockey sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
TB is planning on sending him to Syracuse it sounds like.

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/index..._flyout_sports
Well what a coincidence.. Rockford could also use a D-Man like Kostka down there for the stretch run. TB was better off sending the Hawks a late pick or something if that's what they were planning. I wonder if another team claims him though.

clydesdale line is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 09:46 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If that's the case Rockford will benefit from a great AHL defenseman and it gives us a guy with NHL experience as depth down the stretch.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

It's still interesting

This could mean Pirri sticks, they like a guy like Dahlbeck as Option if needed or they have a trade in the working and need that Cap Space.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:06 AM
hisgirlfriday

This Q quote makes me wonder if they will bother to try to get Kostka back for the organization.

“I think whether we’re looking at the business decisions or hockey decisions, sometimes they go hand in hand,” coach Joel Quenneville said following Sunday’s practice. “It definitely gives Mike a chance to play. We liked what he brought. I think getting picked up by his former coach (Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper), I’m sure they’re excited about him returning to that organization and for his coach as well. We just wish him the best.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks...kostka-waivers

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Excellent news, clearing a roster spot for someone else. We had enough D-men and still do.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
This Q quote makes me wonder if they will bother to try to get Kostka back for the organization.

“I think whether we’re looking at the business decisions or hockey decisions, sometimes they go hand in hand,” coach Joel Quenneville said following Sunday’s practice. “It definitely gives Mike a chance to play. We liked what he brought. I think getting picked up by his former coach (Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper), I’m sure they’re excited about him returning to that organization and for his coach as well. We just wish him the best.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks...kostka-waivers
That sounded more like a PC goodbye. I don't see anything leading to the thought of bringing him back.

Wasted Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 08:38 AM
hawksfan50

You mean our genius GM StanBo could not trade the great Kostka along with a prospect to TB for an org need like goalie KRISTERS GUDLEVISKIS? Instead we just waive Kostka? Not trying hard enough StanBo...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 08:45 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Never change fiddy.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:02 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
You mean our genius GM StanBo could not trade the great Kostka along with a prospect to TB for an org need like goalie KRISTERS GUDLEVISKIS? Instead we just waive Kostka? Not trying hard enough StanBo...
Let's see where this goes. Just the prospect of getting anyone via trade is ground breaking. If that means we had to waive Kostka to clear a spot, oh well.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:36 AM
hockeydoug

I'm not a fan of wasting assets. I wonder if they thought he would slide through, I can't imagine more than one other team would have had a good reason to snag him.

It looked like a bit of a timing gamble that failed. He was still the number 7/8. Losing two very cheap dmen that other NHL clubs had use for nothing is something I criticize any gm for. Should have had something for them or found a better window to waive them.

It may have been a dump, a way to catch a few more bucks saved against the year end number, or a way to just clear another roster slot to be flexible to take advantage of an opportunity near the deadline. Maybe he asked to be waived just to get a chance to play hockey somewhere. Right now, I don't like it, but I'll wait to see what happens before judging this.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Madhouse Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
And apparently Q thinks he can play wing.
This last bit made me laugh. Scores on the backhand!

Madhouse Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

wasting assets?

that's like saying Kostka had some value

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:08 AM
CertainAffinity*

I'm more upset that the Hawks let Stanton go for nothing than Kostka.

CertainAffinity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:13 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanDamned View Post
I'm more upset that the Hawks let Stanton go for nothing than Kostka.
Me too, that one still stings. And then everyone was going ga ga over how much better Kostka was and how it was such a smart move to cut Stanton loose in favor of Kostka. Personally, I've been waiting for this guy to hit the bricks since we got him, served no purpose on this team.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Hawkaholic

Both Stanton and Kostka are no big losses, big meh on both. Kostka was the better of the two for this team though.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:08 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
wasting assets?

that's like saying Kostka had some value
Yes, a small value. So did Stanton. Just about every teams dresses 8 to 10 dmen in a year so it's never a good thing to be giving them away for free unless they're on a bad contract.

As it stands right now, it's a waste but it's too early to say that it may not work out for the better. The contract slot, flexibility, or the minor space may have more value at the end of the day.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Yes, a small value. So did Stanton. Just about every teams dresses 8 to 10 dmen in a year so it's never a good thing to be giving them away for free unless they're on a bad contract.

As it stands right now, it's a waste but it's too early to say that it may not work out for the better. The contract slot, flexibility, or the minor space may have more value at the end of the day.
I'm sure Stan called around looking for trades on both.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:17 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
I'm sure Stan called around looking for trades on both.
Judging by where they were snagged, it looks like they thought they had a good shot at getting them through. I have no reason to suspect that it was just a foolish move or something like that. To me, it only looks like a small gamble with timing that failed.

As I mentioned before, it's still early and I don't have much information so I withhold final judgement on it for the end of the year or at least until after the deadline.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Judging by where they were snagged, it looks like they thought they had a good shot at getting them through. I have no reason to suspect that it was just a foolish move or something like that. To me, it only looks like a small gamble with timing that failed.

As I mentioned before, it's still early and I don't have much information so I withhold final judgement on it for the end of the year or at least until after the deadline.
Or that they are barely NHL talents and nobody wanted to trade anything for them when they could take the chance on snagging them for free.

Clearly they weren't good enough for teams to trade anything of value for them and those teams would rather gamble at grabbing them on the waiver wire. If they are/were as good as you think, then teams would of had no problem giving up a 5th - 7th round pick.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Invalid Username

Stanton and Kostka played a combined 10 games for the Hawks, so the attachment to them by fans is kind of bizarre. Sure it sucks to lose D depth (which they still have), but I think it is also fine to be happy that they are both now in better places to play/succeed. For one, Stanton, it just was not a good team feet anyway. Their situations were not going to improve here, and I think Bowman knows that better than anyone.

Invalid Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:42 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Clearly they weren't good enough for teams to trade anything of value for them and those teams would rather gamble at grabbing them on the waiver wire. If they are/were as good as you think, then teams would of had no problem giving up a 5th - 7th round pick.
Since the trade market is all balled up, I think gms have a tremendous problem trading for anything right now. I also think that's part of the reason why Kostka was waived now, I think the likelihood of teams picking him up was reduced since contract slots are so important.

I was thinking more along the lines of Rockford help or swapping rental depth if not a 6th or 7th at the deadline. Similar to a number of minor moves we've seen near the deadline. He was just depth, and likely rental depth at that but he's still in the top 9 on most rosters.

Don't mistake the value I'm putting on them because it's a relative value anyway. I react the same way when gms waste days reassigning players because of the cap implications. It's all minor stuff but it adds up over time. I'm getting ahead of myself anyway since we don't know how everything is going to play out.

If it sets up another move or helps Chicago squeak under the year end cap number by a few bucks for example, I won't even be questioning if it was a gamble or not.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:37 PM
hockeyjohns12
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
It could be so the team can recall Pirri from Rockford. Sending Kostka down gives the Hawks a little over 800k in cap space.
Or bring up Clendening and give him his chance...All-Star in his rookie season as a 19/20 year old. He was outscoring Leddy when they were paired together, by a lot. This year, he already has more than 40 points just over half way through the season...if the Hawks don't call him up soon they're crazy. Nothing left he can do in the AHL...time to bring him up and let him prove his worth in the bigs.

hockeyjohns12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjohns12 View Post
Or bring up Clendening and give him his chance...All-Star in his rookie season as a 19/20 year old. He was outscoring Leddy when they were paired together, by a lot. This year, he already has more than 40 points just over half way through the season...if the Hawks don't call him up soon they're crazy. Nothing left he can do in the AHL...time to bring him up and let him prove his worth in the bigs.
He has plently left to do in AHL

Like learn to play defense

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:53 PM
digdug41982

Seems like Clendening's ceiling is Adrian Aucoin.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
He has plently left to do in AHL

Like learn to play defense
His defense is OK, but ya, he needs to get a lot better before he makes the bigs.