HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hemsky talks about his future

Old
02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This needs to stop, like Yakupov is some frail flower or porcelain doll.
Yaks has been given PLENTY of top 6 time. Guess nobody wants to remember how he played on the top line against Toronto or Washington.
Your quote would be valid if you could explain to me how Hemsky was not handed a spot on the 1st line in training camp. Because since day one of practice and in every pre-season game he was placed on the 1st line, while Yakupov was played alongside Boyd Gordon and Jesse Joensuu. Yakupov didn't get into the top 6 until Hall's injury, and by then he'd already received a two game benching, hence the part about Yakupov's confidence being driven to the ground. It's funny how I'm supposedly the one with selective memory when all I'm doing is stating facts.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Your quote would be valid if you could explain to me how Hemsky was not handed a spot on the 1st line in training camp. Because since day one of practice and in every pre-season game he was placed on the 1st line, while Yakupov was played alongside Boyd Gordon and Jesse Joensuu. Yakupov didn't get into the top 6 until Hall's injury, and by then he'd already received a two game benching, hence the part about Yakupov's confidence being driven to the ground. It's funny how I'm supposedly the one with selective memory when all I'm doing is stating facts.
Totally outrageous that the 30 year-old veteran top sixer was gifted a spot in the top six over the 19 year old sophomore. No wait: it really isn't.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Hemsky started on the top line, with Smyth, in an attempt to insulate Hall who was thrust into the 1C role. The reason for this is because Smyth and Hemsky are two of the only veteran wingers we had, and are also two of the better defensively responsible ones.

As far as Hemsky not doing anything to deserve or earn top 6 icetime, he's been one of the most consistent skaters on this team over the last decade who can create chances at 5 on 5, so there is that.

And you're not stating facts at all with crazy speculative statements like "destroying Yakupovs confidence" - how is that a fact? Are you guys tight? Does he tell you this stuff in private?

You ever wonder why Yakupov was played with Gordon to start the season? Probably because he was and still is our best defensive center, and the coaching staff were probably trying to insulate hima little bit too...

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 05:37 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
If hemsky came across as an on ice leader, then his retention would be important. I look at hemsky as being productive and useful but not a necessary player. If hemsky was someone like MSL but with hemsky #'s I would be adamant that the oilers resign him because he is a leader on the ice and the oilers need that up front because right now we only have Perron up front and he probably wouldn't mind leadership from someone older as well.

gqmixmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
And which part of this is Hemsky's fault?

Quote:
There's a reason why MacT literally couldn't give him away.
Quote:
The guy is a lazy bum with no leadership skills or accountability who has polluted players like Hall/Eberle who have developed many of the terrible habits this guy had since the start of his career.
"Facts"

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Good Lord. Boyd Gordon, a third liner who who doesn't hit, fight or get a lot of points, makes $3 million. Matt Hendricks a borderline third liner who hits, sometimes fights and doesn't get a lot of points, makes $1.8 million. Ales Hemsky is more talented than both of those guys put together and you think he's worth a hair above league minimum?
1)Hendricks and Gordon are faaaar better than Hemsky in a checking role...
2)If Hemsky could play a tighter defensive game and contribute offense as a 1st or 2nd liner that's a different story, but he's not slated for that role here...
3)To the Oilers, Hemsky is worth $1.5M/yr. If another team has a bigger role for him in mind then they will likely trade for him and enjoy great success

His trade value has gone up lately because he has been able to stay healthy. Afaik he had a good Olympics so that should help quite a bit as well.

Who knows, maybe he will keep playing like he gives a **** in his own end and the Oilers will find they need to move Yak, similar to how the Canucks ended up keeping Luongo when they wanted to keep Crawford. If he's on the second line and doing more than waving his stick in his own end I'm ok with him as an Oiler. Fact remains tho that Hemsky and his legions of fanboys have made me puke more than any other Oiler/fan combo ever.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:14 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Hemsky has long been a favourite of mine. He's been a good warrior on some crap teams. But he's still a top 6 winger and doesn't have a role here anymore. I will be sad to see him go, and I will wish him the best of luck wherever he plays, but it's in both side's interest for him to move on.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:45 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Quote:
He's worth more than $1.5 million. That was my only point.
yes, but in the role he would be filling here he wouldn't be.

better for everyone involved to try move him to a team that can play him in the right spot, and fill our own 3rd line with a cheaper better suited alternative.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:37 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
After Gordon Hemsky is the best two-way forward on the team.
That's why this team is 29th.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:10 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
$1.5M is a joke. Hemsky will get 4 million. If not here somewhere else. Jeepers, Ference is making $3,000,000.00 USD! Hemsky can score if he is put on a scoring line. Some idiot thinks he should be on a checking line. Doh!
Pretty goofy to point out what Ference is making when the only team to offer him that kind of money was the Oilers. The same team that paid Hemsky much more than his market value on his current contract. Again, the same team to over pay Gagner as well. Not every team is throwing money away these days. Even with the cap going up, competitive teams are trying to get value for their money spent. The teams that aren't competitive aren't spending to the cap anyway. I don't doubt that Hemsky gets a contract next year but it isn't going to be any where close to being in the four million dollar range. It's been a very long time since he's put up the kind of numbers that warrant that.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:05 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Pretty goofy to point out what Ference is making when the only team to offer him that kind of money was the Oilers. The same team that paid Hemsky much more than his market value on his current contract. Again, the same team to over pay Gagner as well. Not every team is throwing money away these days. Even with the cap going up, competitive teams are trying to get value for their money spent. The teams that aren't competitive aren't spending to the cap anyway. I don't doubt that Hemsky gets a contract next year but it isn't going to be any where close to being in the four million dollar range. It's been a very long time since he's put up the kind of numbers that warrant that.
But we are talking about the oilers here. Worth 4 mil in his role but not worth another role at all. Somebody has to be moved that is top 6 potential without question.

I get you think if he plays fourth line he should get 1.5.

Maybe we can put him on d. Cant be worse than some we have had and gotta be smarter.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
After Gordon Hemsky is the best two-way forward on the team.
You just tested positive for banned substances by making that comment.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Joey Moss

You can tell Hemsky has lost his passion playing on a bottom feeder team for so long. Goes to the Olympics and seems rejuvenated, comes back to talk with the media in Edmonton and just seems dejected. I think it's a given that he's a goner but I hope he goes to a team that he can have fun and put up points again. We wasted a great talent here, IMO.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:33 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
2)If Hemsky could play a tighter defensive game and contribute offense as a 1st or 2nd liner that's a different story, but he's not slated for that role here...
3)To the Oilers, Hemsky is worth $1.5M/yr. If another team has a bigger role for him in mind then they will likely trade for him and enjoy great success

His trade value has gone up lately because he has been able to stay healthy. Afaik he had a good Olympics so that should help quite a bit as well.

Who knows, maybe he will keep playing like he gives a **** in his own end and the Oilers will find they need to move Yak, similar to how the Canucks ended up keeping Luongo when they wanted to keep Crawford. If he's on the second line and doing more than waving his stick in his own end I'm ok with him as an Oiler. Fact remains tho that Hemsky and his legions of fanboys have made me puke more than any other Oiler/fan combo ever.
lol
Just STOP it already!
You are so out to lunch.
Crawford plays for the Blackhawks.

Have you ever watched The Big Lebowski? You're Donny, and you're out of your element.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 05:31 AM
Endless Fade
BREAK YOSELF

vCash: 344
Don't know why people argue with Oi'll Say anyway, I've seen past posts on here where he's actually admitted to not watching most Oiler games. All one has to do is look at his neverending defense of Gagner and you'll have your answer about how he never watches any of the players.

Endless Fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Hemsky is a guy who can drive possession a lot more than either of those guys, which IMO makes him more valuable as a defensive player.

Quote:
He's proven he can play a third line role just fine. Given the choice, I'd rather they keep a guy on the third line who can play higher in the order than a guy like Hendricks for whom third line checking duties is the ceiling. That's depth.

Quote:
If the Oilers concur with that valuation, then it's no wonder they've had so much success over the past few years. I don't think they do. the fact that Hemsky is worth, at minimum, twice that is one of the reasons they are likely to part with him. If he was "worth" a piddling $1.5M, he'd be an Oiler for life.

Quote:
Fact remains tho that Hemsky and his legions of fanboys have made me puke more than any other Oiler/fan combo ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
yes, but in the role he would be filling here he wouldn't be.
That doesn't make sense.

Quote:
better for everyone involved to try move him to a team that can play him in the right spot, and fill our own 3rd line with a cheaper better suited alternative.
Because Edmonton has had such great success acquiring real NHL players?

Don't get me wrong, I hope for his sake he goes somewhere else (ideally here in the Pacific so he can cram it up some Oilers fans' backsides and maybe raise Stanley).

But expecting the Oilers to be better without him and to successfully fill yet another roster hole is just wishin' and hopin'.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
He's actually averaged 62 points/game over the last 5 seasons based on games played.

//edit: last 5 FULL seasons prior to this one
Given the fairly stupid game he plays, and basically putting a target on his back by not protecting himself why on earth would we prorate instead of actually counting games actually played and results actually accrued.

This is a guy that got nailed by Robin Regehr about 10 times in a season. When Regehr even let everybody know if the hit was there he'd nail him.

Hemsky is a pacifist playing a rough and tumble NHL game. If you can't protect your own head out there nobody else will.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Given the fairly stupid game he plays, and basically putting a target on his back by not protecting himself why on earth would we prorate instead of actually counting games actually played and results actually accrued.

This is a guy that got nailed by Robin Regehr about 10 times in a season. When Regehr even let everybody know if the hit was there he'd nail him.

Hemsky is a pacifist playing a rough and tumble NHL game. If you can't protect your own head out there nobody else will.
Guess your boy Sam should have learned how to duck in exhibition season.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

What does this even mean? It's wharrgarbl.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Guess your boy Sam should have learned how to duck in exhibition season.
Yeah because you know some idiot is going to take your face off with a stick swung sideways at head level as if your head is a baseball.

Theres maybe about a handful of pos players in the entire league that would pull crap like that and unluckily it was one.

Theres a difference between recognizing your're placing your head in an inopportune place along the boards when a hit comes vs a brutal play you see maybe once a season.

ps Theres an obvious difference in games/season/lost due to injury for the respective players. With Hemsky its not just bad luck. Hemsky has missed 120GP in past 5 seasons.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-26-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old
02-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
What does this even mean? It's wharrgarbl.
if you can't see it I can't help you. Hemsky doesn't protect himself from hits in anyway.

If you even look at Ryan Smyth he's taken 10 times the amount of hits than Hemsky has in his career and misses fewer games/yr due to injury. While being considerably older player.

I was saying Hemsky needed to protect himself and watch out out there a decade ago. Stating why.

Everything has unfolded with this player exactly as I thought. A guy that has willingly taken so much punishment its a wonder he plays the game to age 30.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Good Lord. Boyd Gordon, a third liner who who doesn't hit, fight or get a lot of points, makes $3 million. Matt Hendricks a borderline third liner who hits, sometimes fights and doesn't get a lot of points, makes $1.8 million. Ales Hemsky is more talented than both of those guys put together and you think he's worth a hair above league minimum?
What a lol post. Real NHL players capable of actually playing rugged hockey and honest hockey looking after both ends should be complaining about being saddled with a guy that only ever picks his spots and brings half an effort for 10 game stretches at a time.

Jebus, Hemsky has talent. WTF has he done with it the past half dozen seasons?

Oh, and that scrub Boyd Gordon actually has more goals than Hemsky, while being a roll and shutdown player and not being afforded top toi or PP time.

Hemsky has one roll on this team (if that) and doesn't perform it.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:37 AM
destro909

Quote:
Hemsky is a guy who can drive possession a lot more than either of those guys, which IMO makes him more valuable as a defensive player.

He's proven he can play a third line role just fine. Given the choice, I'd rather they keep a guy on the third line who can play higher in the order than a guy like Hendricks for whom third line checking duties is the ceiling. That's depth.
It's definitely good to have depth, but having depth on the wings is the worst position to have it in. The team would be much better with depth at center or defence.

Think of it this way - imagine the Oilers go into Free Agency without any of their current UFAs on the roster. MacT then signs a 2nd-line, injury prone, 0.62 ppg scoring winger. Would you have prefered he spent that money on a position where we currently have glaring holes? i.e., Center, defense, goal - pretty much any other position. I know what I would prefer.

destro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Wow, this post is signature worthy.

Hemsky more valuable as a defensive player. Somebody call Dave Tippet, we have a defensive ringer here..

Hemsky has FINALLY figured out that after nearly a dozen years in the NHL that turning the puck over repeatedly is perhaps a poor idea. This is who you are calling a Possession player. A guy that any Oiler fan can recount with horror how much of Hemskys career has been spent turning the puck over. I can't even comprehend how you would view Hemsky as a more valuable defensive player than Gordon.

Conversely Gordon is known for sounder play and always has been. Hendricks, for his part, has been performing quite well here. Not sure what your issue is with this player. At least Hendricks has cared enough to make a presence and impact here. Something Hemsky hasn't done a lot of for years.

Hemsky for some reason is a ghost here. Has been for a longtime and that's on him. Pretty much a career wasted.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-26-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old
02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
SoftDumps

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
lol
Just STOP it already!
You are so out to lunch.
Crawford plays for the Blackhawks.

Have you ever watched The Big Lebowski? You're Donny, and you're out of your element.
LOL, this post is amazing. Donny reference made my day.

EDIT: If Hemsky was going to take 1.5 million, there isn't a team in the league who wouldn't snap him up in a heartbeat. Saying that Hendricks has a larger role on this team, and that Hemsky should make less than him is truly boneheaded.

SoftDumps is offline   Reply With Quote