HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The price for moving Ryan Smyth...

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 07:37 AM
Slapshot

vCash: 500
The price for moving Ryan Smyth...

It has come to the time of year that most teams know if they are out of the playoffs or have a shot at the top 8 spots in their conference. For the teams that are contending, it's the time of year that you start trying to improve your current roster through trades as other teams start the rebuilding process.

I've heard that several Oiler players are possibly on the move and I was wondering what it would take an EASTERN CONFERENCE team to acquire Ryan Smyth. I'm not going to specify an particular team because I know that several people (Fans of other teams) would be interested in an assessment of Smyth's trade value.

I'm not sure what the Oilers are looking for in the near future, so feel free to tell me what you think their needs are in a fair trade for Smyth. i.e. Current NHL players, prospects, picks, cash or whatever.

For example:

To the Oilers: Your top forward, your #1 goalie, the top prospect in your system,
this years first round pick and a bucket of cash.

To the other team: Ryan Smyth and sweetner

Yeah, I know it's a horrible examble, but i'm just curious as to what it would take to acquire Smyth and don't want to offend the Oil fanbase. So instead, I'll just get their honest opinion.

Thanks in advance...

Old
02-01-2004, 07:49 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I'd be willing to trade Ryan Smyth +++++ for Vinny from Tampa.

In a smaller deal, I'd accept a young and talented player, with a prospect/very high pick thrown in.

I'm personally in favor of the blockbuster right now

Ryan Smyth + Eric Brewer + Shawn Horcoff

FOR

Someone who actually has talent and gives a damn.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:11 AM
OilerMania83

I'd trade Ryan Smyth ++++++

for

Jason Spezza

or maybe just Smyth for Havlat straight up. I really like those two Sens.

Smyth for:
-Frolov
-Horton/Bouwmeister(sp?)/Luongo (No chance for those guys I don't think)
-Lecavalier (we'd have to throw something in)
-Pitkanen

Smyth for a REALLY good already in the NHL prospect I would probably do.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:16 AM
momentai

Not sure I care *if* Ryan Smyth is traded. If it needs to happen, so be it. But the one thing in all trades I look for is for Kevin Lowe to get fair value for a player - something I firmly believe he did not do last season at the deadline. Whatever needs to be done is fine but maximize your assets...

Old
02-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Oiltalk

Ottawa would be on top of the list of course.

Ottawa
Phillips
Vermette
1st

Edmonton
Smyth
2nd

OR
Havlat
Vermette
3rd

Laraque
Smyth
2nd

Old
02-01-2004, 01:46 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot
It has come to the time of year that most teams know if they are out of the playoffs or have a shot at the top 8 spots in their conference. For the teams that are contending, it's the time of year that you start trying to improve your current roster through trades as other teams start the rebuilding process.

I've heard that several Oiler players are possibly on the move and I was wondering what it would take an EASTERN CONFERENCE team to acquire Ryan Smyth. I'm not going to specify an particular team because I know that several people (Fans of other teams) would be interested in an assessment of Smyth's trade value.

I'm not sure what the Oilers are looking for in the near future, so feel free to tell me what you think their needs are in a fair trade for Smyth. i.e. Current NHL players, prospects, picks, cash or whatever.

For example:

To the Oilers: Your top forward, your #1 goalie, the top prospect in your system,
this years first round pick and a bucket of cash.

To the other team: Ryan Smyth and sweetner

Yeah, I know it's a horrible examble, but i'm just curious as to what it would take to acquire Smyth and don't want to offend the Oil fanbase. So instead, I'll just get their honest opinion.

Thanks in advance...
Trade Smyth for #1 overall and trade the rest of our picks for #1 next year.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:04 PM
metallicat

Not long ago I suggested trading Smyth, and I was shunned! Now look at the support it has gained. Lowe should have traded him three months ago.

"Hi I'm Ryan Smyth and me and my wife just bought a new car!"

GOOD TAKE IT ELSEWHERE!

Old
02-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Allan

Smyth for Gagne

Old
02-01-2004, 03:54 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Smyth for Gagne
ok.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:59 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
ok.
The paper said Philly's interested in Smyth, and that it would take Gagne to get him.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Allan

Sweet. I'm glad it's not just me. How realistic is that?

Old
02-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
The paper said Philly's interested in Smyth, and that it would take Gagne to get him.
As frustrated as I am right now I am contempating all the Smyth trade ideas. Gagne would be great. However I am not convinced that Lowe is going to move him. Smyth signed for less to be here. I am sure that Lowe loves him and would keep him here for post CBA. Smyth is having a tough year. But can we look at the coaching staff to blame? We all did at the beginnging of the year when Smyth was playing centre. Then they put him with Oates, who hasnt done a damn thing either! Its funny, I remember every one of us on this board was flying high after Lowe signed Oates. I for one, thought that they were going to easily make the playoffs.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:27 PM
windowlicker

Its not that difficult....

Ottawa needs grit and toughness to round out a nice contending line-up (Smyth, maybe Laraque, maybe Smith)

Edmonton needs actual skill (Bonk, Havlat, maybe Phillips)

For goaltending they may have to look elsewhere, but considering how both of those teams performed last nite (Ottawa bullied by the Big Bad Leafs, Edmonton unable to have any sort of finish against a depleted LA lineup coinciding with Shawn Horcoff emerging as our ice time leader for forwards), I still think these guys make good trading partners.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Hemsky4PM

Looking at the Markov for Williams deal, do you guys think Lowe would have moved Smith or Staios for Williams if Philly still had him? Just a thought.

I think Smyth might end up staying here. If only for the fact that our team has a history of overrating our players and also getting hosed when we trade veteran players (Weight). Smyth for Gagne would be a win, but Philly would definately think twice. We would definately need a capable offensive talent, young and affordable if Smyth were dealt. No fire sales this time.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Hydroponic Harold

If Smyth gets traded ..mark my words ..at this time next year the Oilers will be crying " we need more players like ........Ryan Smyth" ..i doubt hes going anywhere .

Old
02-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Maybe if the Isles are looking for a lw RS would be a good fit there. Basically any team with a top rated center who is within a year of playing an offensive role.

Robert Nilsson & ???

or

Mapletoft & ???

Phi

Gagne

or

Mike Richards &

or

Jeff Carter &

Bos:

Patrice Bergeron

SJ:

Brad Boyes &

Old
02-01-2004, 08:04 PM
SerbianEagle

Edmonton should NOT trade Ryan Smyth. He is having a off year, but he isn't the only one is he? Brewer started playing well only recently, before that he was crap and we saw what we are seeing now for Smyth: Trade proposals. Trading and trading some isn't how teams are made.

The number one (1) problem with the team is Mactavish (MacT). If he is gone this team goes from 12-13 to easily making the playoffs next year. His coaching has killed the team this year. If you've seen Colorado play you know that after they score they attack and try and put the game away. When Oilers take a lead they defend and counter-attack. Offence is the best Defence, unless you play trap.

We either have to a) play trap and defend or b) go for a total attack system. The inbetween will get us noplace.

Smyth stays, MacT goes, and if Lowe can't fire his buddy, then Lowe should go too even though he's done a tremendeous job with the players hes aquired in trades.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:12 AM
hunter orange

(See officeglen's proposal on the Trade Board -- Smyth/Smith package deals)

If Lowe DOES pull the plug on the season, would the following not be a very attractive package deal for Edmonton:

To Ottawa:

Smyth
Smith
(Ottawa choice of) Chimera, Salmelainen or 2nd

To Edmonton:

Emery
Volchenkov
Mirnov

Edmonton would have arguably the best back end in the post-CBA NHL, a premier starter-to-be and an underrated up-and-coming center in Mirnov

Torres York Dvorak
Isbister Horcoff Hemsky
Rita Stoll Laraque
Moreau Reasoner Pisani/ Salmo

** Niinamaki, Pouliot, Mirnov, Mikhnov

Brewer Semenov
Staois Volchenkov
Cross Woywitka

** Bergeron, Ulanov, Lynch

Roster players, **assets and picks could also be used to trade for a big center with 1st/2nd line ability (ie. Jokinen, Antropov, Vasicek, Arkhipov)

Thoughts?

Old
02-02-2004, 02:28 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
well, first off - it would be dumb to trade Smyth. Lowe would NEVER EVER again be able to play the loyalty card, and that is something the Oilers organization will probably need for ever. Not to mention Smyth's value is at an all time low. Compound that with the fact that the Oilers WILL again have the goal of going for the playoffs. The other Smith should be traded for sure - I'll be completely disapointed if he isn't.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Le depisteur

What do you think of this offer from the Montreal Canadiens:

Markov
Hossa
2004 2nd round pick

for

Smyth

Old
02-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur
Markov
Hossa
2004 2nd round pick

for

Smyth
I bet Lowe asks for Hainsey or Komisarek in any trade from Montreal and picks to even it out.

Old
02-02-2004, 11:39 PM
hunter orange

YUP!

Smyth could easily land Komisarek, Hossa and (a little more)...

...perhaps

Smyth, Chimera ----------- for ---------- Komisarek, Hossa, Garon

Old
02-03-2004, 02:00 AM
tmacneil

If Ryan Smyth is traded we better get alot for him!!!

If Smyth is traded he will be going to a eastern conf team. My best guess is the Flyers or Leafs maybe ott

to the Flyers Smyth,Salo

to Oilers Jeff Carter,Jim Vandermeer or Mike Richards. If its a roster player Simon Gagne and one of thses young players.

to the Leafs Smyth, Smith, draft pic
to Oilers Coalaiacovo,Stajan, Willwood would be a good guy to get to

Old
02-03-2004, 04:19 AM
Hemsky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
If Smyth gets traded ..mark my words ..at this time next year the Oilers will be crying " we need more players like ........Ryan Smyth" ..i doubt hes going anywhere .
AGREE!!! We are short on Gritty Hard working players as it is.

Closed Thread