HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2014, 01:32 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I doubt Kreuger's coaching career can be considered over unless he decides he doesn't want to pursue it anymore. He has a lot of respect both in and outside of the NHL. He isn't dependant on his best buds for jobs(like our current GM), nor is he out of touch and past his prime(like Quinn).
Yeah, I bet dealing with the being backstabbed by the old boys club here just made him feel like he needed a break from the NHL. I think he will be back, and who knows, maybe he ends up climbing a ladder to higher up management positions. He's a pretty intelligent guy. It would be just wonderful to see him rise in the ranks of another team and do a good job...

Old
02-24-2014, 02:25 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
I could definitely see Krueger being back in the NHL.

One thing nobody has ever doubted about him was his intelligence.

He had a crappy squad in his brief stint as head coach and still managed to be better than 6 other NHL teams... better than the Oilers have done in years... (low bar I know).

I think Krueger would be an excellent GM/advisor type of individual as he's seen hockey at both the international and NHL levels and with his positivity and "guru" reputation I think he could be a big part of helping push an organization forward to another level.

I could see him being brought into a team looking to make that next step up... contenders trying to make legit stabs at a Stanley Cup... he could probably be the guy to give that final push needed to deliver the big prize.

Honestly his talents and abilities are probably somewhat wasted on a team perennially rolling around in the basement.

Old
02-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I think Krueger is being overrated here because Canada won gold. Maybe he was that good, but everyone is assuming that Canada owned the big ice because of him.

Old
02-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Dabomb

I didn't really like Eakin's comments today about you shouldn't be comparing this year's powerplay to last year's powerplay and how every year its different. Sure teams change their strategies and adapt, but thats true for any part of the game. Its your job to adapt to that and find success. The Oilers still have relatively the same players from last year, so I think its fair to compare and wonder why the PP isn't as good this year.

Old
02-24-2014, 05:52 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

There is NO reason the PP shouldn't be as good or better this year.

They've been relatively healthy (except for Gagner early on)... and have added Perron who is a sniper.

There is no reason this team can't ice at least one absolutely lethal PP unit and another very decent one.

That's one area where Eakins gets no benefit of the doubt. If Krueger had a great PP last year with lesser personnel... the regression this year is squarely on the heads of the coaching staff in not getting the most out of those offensive assets that they have out there.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
There is NO reason the PP shouldn't be as good or better this year.

They've been relatively healthy (except for Gagner early on)... and have added Perron who is a sniper.

There is no reason this team can't ice at least one absolutely lethal PP unit and another very decent one.

That's one area where Eakins gets no benefit of the doubt. If Krueger had a great PP last year with lesser personnel... the regression this year is squarely on the heads of the coaching staff in not getting the most out of those offensive assets that they have out there.
Absolutely. Common sense explains the problem. The 1-3-1 is a PP for an experienced unit that doesn't cough up the puck or makes bad decisions. The oilers r no where near ready for only one dman on the point. How can anyone not see this? The only explanation is he is practicing for the future.

Like the swarm defence, he seems to decide on these complicated systems without any regard for the personnel. The Oilers should be playing the simplest of systems.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:45 AM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I didn't really like Eakin's comments today about you shouldn't be comparing this year's powerplay to last year's powerplay and how every year its different. Sure teams change their strategies and adapt, but thats true for any part of the game. Its your job to adapt to that and find success. The Oilers still have relatively the same players from last year, so I think its fair to compare and wonder why the PP isn't as good this year.
Cmon man they only have the entire PP unit back from last year aside from Horcoff.

Gotta love Eakins "We should just ignore the statistics that easily prove my incompetence"

Not to mention we've given up what? 11 SH goals?

Old
02-25-2014, 12:07 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
that would hold more water as an argument if we were talking about dropping to a middle of the pack PP, but the fact that it went from the most dangerous aspect of the team to a liability that actually loses games for the team is quite another story entirely.

Old
02-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Pressure
Tier 1 fan..lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
I think Krueger is being overrated here because Canada won gold. Maybe he was that good, but everyone is assuming that Canada owned the big ice because of him.
OR you can look back to every single message posted in this thread PRIOR to February 23, 2014.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
that would hold more water as an argument if we were talking about dropping to a middle of the pack PP, but the fact that it went from the most dangerous aspect of the team to a liability that actually loses games for the team is quite another story entirely.
No doubt. we'll put. They give up a breakaway almost every PP.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:29 PM
armandh01

Getting rid of Krueger will prove to be a error that sets this club back significantly. The guy would of been great imo. Krueger had all the tools to be a great coach. Adaptability, likability, intelligence and most important, little to no ego.

We'll see what this mini camp does but I have low expectations for Eakins.

Old
02-25-2014, 03:16 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
It's completely non-sensical. Obviously you should compare your teams performance in different areas from one year to another to spot progress and regress. If a strength is turned into a weakness, considering the number of shorthanded goals against you could even talk about a disaster, you need to look to reasons why. If you don't you're just not doing your job.

And if the guys on the ice are pretty much the same or arguably better you need to look at the systems. And if you look at the systems, the spotlight ofc falls on the coaching staff.
How isn't this clear to him? If he thinks it's unfair to say it's due to the coaching change, fine there might be reasons that are less obvious, but saying you shouldn't compare, that's just plain stupid. I mean he isn't shy to talk about changes he's made in other areas compared to previous years, why is it so wrong comparing the PP.

Old
02-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
It's completely non-sensical.
Not really. Say last year we were playing a team that had a horrible pk and due to the schedule we played them 8 times. If in those games they took a lot of penalties and we ended up scoring on them our pp looks really good. Now this year the schedule changes and we dont play them as often or they dont take as many penalties against us. Now our pp doesnt look as good.

I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that you cant really tell how a PP is doing just by comparing with last season or rankings. Having said that I do agree that you should be working on making it better.

Old
02-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Not really. Say last year we were playing a team that had a horrible pk and due to the schedule we played them 8 times. If in those games they took a lot of penalties and we ended up scoring on them our pp looks really good. Now this year the schedule changes and we dont play them as often or they dont take as many penalties against us. Now our pp doesnt look as good.

I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that you cant really tell how a PP is doing just by comparing with last season or rankings. Having said that I do agree that you should be working on making it better.
There some truth to what you say, but these things tend to balance themselves out over the course of a season. Some teams get better, some teams get worse. All in all though, when you go from near the top of the league on the PP to bottom 10 in the league while giving up the most SH goals against, it is very valid and fair to compare to previous years and wonder why the PP has gotten worse.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Halibut

Quote:
There some truth to what you say, but these things tend to balance themselves out over the course of a season. Some teams get better, some teams get worse. All in all though, when you go from near the top of the league on the PP to bottom 10 in the league while giving up the most SH goals against, it is very valid and fair to compare to previous years and wonder why the PP has gotten worse.
Definitely and those SH goals against is definitely a specific thing they have to work on cutting down but there are other specifics that make things not so cut and dried. Like missing Horcoff who did go to the front of the net and cause problems even if he didnt get points. We are missing him and we are using different players on the backend so you cant really say it's the same team and simply blame it on the coaching. Coaching deserves some blame for sure but there are other factors.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Aerchon

I really think the Oilers need simplify their PP. Go back to 2 d-men and 3 forwards.

The Shultz Ferrence pairing and the Petry Maracin pairing both have good puck moving abilities.

I think the shortened season helped to keep teams from anticipating our 4 or 5 forward PP units. Now that teams are used to seeing it they can read and react... by scoring against us SH at will.

I think Krueger would have ran into this problem as well... Of course he probably would of adapted much better to the problem than Eakins.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:46 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Look... just using logic... the PP is the one area this team should by rights be near the top of the league in.

If they aren't... then either the offensive talent on this team just isn't as good as we think it is (disturbing thought for the future of this team) OR it falls on the head of the coaching staff.

You can try to use all the rationalization you want about stats and maybe this... maybe that... but in the end the PP has regressed badly and the team is in 29th spot even after MacT has tried to "fix" obvious issues with the roster during the season.

That's on Eakin's head and his staff. He can't insinuate that he needs better players when there HAS been personnel changes and the only thing he's been able to make this team into is a squad that might stay ahead of 30th (if they are lucky). Most of their meagre success recently is because of obviously better goaltending... the defense and offense is still performing as mediocre as always.

Old
02-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
OR you can look back to every single message posted in this thread PRIOR to February 23, 2014.
No thanks...

Old
02-25-2014, 05:27 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Look... just using logic... the PP is the one area this team should by rights be near the top of the league in.

If they aren't... then either the offensive talent on this team just isn't as good as we think it is (disturbing thought for the future of this team) OR it falls on the head of the coaching staff.

You can try to use all the rationalization you want about stats and maybe this... maybe that... but in the end the PP has regressed badly and the team is in 29th spot even after MacT has tried to "fix" obvious issues with the roster during the season.

That's on Eakin's head and his staff. He can't insinuate that he needs better players when there HAS been personnel changes and the only thing he's been able to make this team into is a squad that might stay ahead of 30th (if they are lucky). Most of their meagre success recently is because of obviously better goaltending... the defense and offense is still performing as mediocre as always.
You missed the 3rd option, we have no PP defencemen. Schultz and Petry are alright but we don't have a guy with a huge bomb that other teams have to watch. Gives the opposing team a little leeway to collapse down and prevent the passes through the slot, as they don't have to worry about pressuring the points quite as much.

Old
02-25-2014, 05:37 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You missed the 3rd option, we have no PP defencemen. Schultz and Petry are alright but we don't have a guy with a huge bomb that other teams have to watch. Gives the opposing team a little leeway to collapse down and prevent the passes through the slot, as they don't have to worry about pressuring the points quite as much.
Well I'd certainly like to have a Karlsson/Weber/Subban back there on the PP point as well... but unless Whitney was that player in disguise last season... I still see no valid reason why this PP should have regressed as much as it has.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:01 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Well I'd certainly like to have a Karlsson/Weber/Subban back there on the PP point as well... but unless Whitney was that player in disguise last season... I still see no valid reason why this PP should have regressed as much as it has.
Whitney despite his skating issues had no problems moving the puck and had a half decent shot from the point. We need a guy with a bomb who is a threat to score at least 10 goals/30 points a season. Right now the entire Oilers blue line combined with callups has produced 75 points. That's not good enough when you compare it to playoff teams. For example Boston has 118 points from their d, Anaheim has 106 points, LA 95 points, Chicago 151 points, St. Louis 147. Another way to look at it is that the Blues two highest scoring dmen Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk have more points then the entire Oiler defensive core.

Last edited by raab: 02-25-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old
02-25-2014, 09:37 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

It's actually a sad state of affairs that MacT hasn't really been able to replace what the 1-footed (at best) Whitney brought to this team on the PP.

Still no excuse for the PP decline though.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Mitch ‏@MitchLiddell 11m
Eakins basically just said the players hate him...
Reply Retweet Favorite More Details
mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 10m
@MitchLiddell Where was this?
Reply Retweet Favorite More Details
User Actions
Follow

Mitch
‏@MitchLiddell
@mc79hockey season seat holder event. He's giving a speech"I came in, and there was conflict. It's been a process but they've bought in now

Mitch ‏@MitchLiddell 51s
"I came in asked what team are we? I kept hearing 'skilled'. What does that mean? I want us to be tough to play against, a winning team"
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Mitch ‏@MitchLiddell 5m
@mc79hockey also something about how there were several voices in charge at first, now everyone knows who's in charge (him I bet)

Apparently Eakins said some real dumb stuff at the season ticket holders event. Sorry for the shoddy copy and paste. Basically these are the key parts.

Quote:
Eakins basically just said the players hate him...
Quote:
season seat holder event. He's giving a speech"I came in, and there was conflict. It's been a process but they've bought in now
Quote:
"I came in asked what team are we? I kept hearing 'skilled'. What does that mean? I want us to be tough to play against, a winning team"
Quote:
also something about how there were several voices in charge at first, now everyone knows who's in charge (him I bet)

Old
02-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Oi'll say!

They bought in now lol. Or at least Scrivens did. "Chop wood, chop more wood, carry some water chop some more wood and carry water, carry and chop at the same time, chop with one axe in each hand while I'm carrying water on top of my head, chop and carry, carry and chop, hey wait, what the **** is everybody else doing?"

Old
02-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Up the Irons

We'll, MacT couldn't have praised him more today. He thinks the team has improved rapidly and immensely (notwithstanding the regression from last year. For that Eakins gets a pass).

It sounded like MacT is well aware that everyone thinks he blew it on this coaching change but is convinced time will prove him right.

We shall see if his hunch (and that's all it was) was a good one. It cost him this season. Will it cost him the next?

Closed Thread