HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

vCash: 500
Anybody else find this quote interesting?

Flyers director of scouting Chris Pryor said "at least Morin isn't one of those guys you have to drag the emotion and fire out of."

I think that is something that was an issue with JvR and the Flyers. They wanted him to have some more snarl in his game, but he just doesn't have it. Never had it, and never will.

Old
02-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Hiesenberg

I'm not even bothering with that article. The back page title is stupid and all it does is attention grab and throw stuff on the fire.

He's 18, anybody who thought he would be here next year is a chump and knows nothing about hockey.

Old
02-25-2014, 03:54 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Anybody else find this quote interesting?

Flyers director of scouting Chris Pryor said "at least Morin isn't one of those guys you have to drag the emotion and fire out of."

I think that is something that was an issue with JvR and the Flyers. They wanted him to have some more snarl in his game, but he just doesn't have it. Never had it, and never will.
Yeah JVR never seemed to be in any hurry to become a good playerre. I dont think JVR felt enough pressure being a local kid, who was everyones pride and joy so to speak. He had a very relaxed style about him on the ice in Philly.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Yeah JVR never seemed to be in any hurry to become a good playerre. I dont think JVR felt enough pressure being a local kid, who was everyones pride and joy so to speak. He had a very relaxed style about him on the ice in Philly.
JVR wasn't a local kid, he's from Middletown which is closer to NYC than Philly.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:02 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
JVR wasn't a local kid, he's from Middletown which is closer to NYC than Philly.
Yeah I was thinking more of Jersey.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:12 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
When you consider traffic, it's about the same.

JVR lived in Haddonfield anyway.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Ryker

How about considering that he lived or came from was irrelevant to his attitude and performance?

Old
02-25-2014, 04:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Sadly it took another coach to make JVR realize what he needed to do. Same with Bob and his goalie coach in Columbus. Instead in Philly we just turn on our talent...

Old
02-25-2014, 04:22 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
How about considering that he lived or came from was irrelevant to his attitude and performance?
Considering where he came from and the school he went to, it's not that irrelevant actually.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:24 PM
SolidSnakeUS

It took Lavy and Berube to get Voracek going on the right track. It took Lavy and Berube to get Simmonds on a better track (better offensively than in LA). Lavy and Berube starting to realize that Schenn has been doing better here than in Toronto. Lavy, Berube and Reese fixing Mason's issues and making him a better goalie since coming here.

You give some away, you get some back.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
It took Lavy and Berube to get Voracek going on the right track. It took Lavy and Berube to get Simmonds on a better track (better offensively than in LA). Lavy and Berube starting to realize that Schenn has been doing better here than in Toronto. Lavy, Berube and Reese fixing Mason's issues and making him a better goalie since coming here.

You give some away, you get some back.
We should be more greedy....

Old
02-25-2014, 04:31 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
When you consider traffic, it's about the same.

JVR lived in Haddonfield anyway.
All I'm finding is he went Christian Brothers High in Middletown before heading off to Ann Arbor with the US team.

This is from his Wikipedia page:
Quote:
James Frederick van Riemsdyk attended Christian Brothers Academy in Lincroft, New Jersey before transferring to Ann Arbor, Michigan for his sophomore year to play for the U.S. National Team Development Program. Prior to that, he played from Mite to first year of Midgets for the Brick Hockey Club in Brick, New Jersey. As a youth in the greater New York area, van Riemsdyk was an avid New York Rangers fan.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 02-25-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old
02-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Schmidty324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I'm not even bothering with that article. The back page title is stupid and all it does is attention grab and throw stuff on the fire.

He's 18, anybody who thought he would be here next year is a chump and knows nothing about hockey.
The back page picture/title is pretty bad but the article itself wasn't bad.

Old
02-25-2014, 05:50 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
All I'm finding is he went Christian Brothers High in Middletown before heading off to Ann Arbor with the US team.

This is from his Wikipedia page:
Yeah, I'm just saying he lived in Haddonfield when he played here. Could jump right on 295 and hit the turnpike from there. Not too bad of a ride as long as you aren't trying to go home on a Friday during summer.

Old
02-25-2014, 05:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Yeah, I'm just saying he lived in Haddonfield when he played here. Could jump right on 295 and hit the turnpike from there. Not too bad of a ride as long as you aren't trying to go home on a Friday during summer.
Oh yeah it's not uncommon for athletes here to live in South Jersey.

The OP was talking about JVR having pressure playing for the Flyers as a local kid, I was just pointing out he had no attachment to the Flyers prior to being drafted here.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty324 View Post
That back page is horse **** and very misleading. Sadly, that isn't very surprising coming from a Philly sports page.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:42 PM
tymed

What do our Phantoms goaltenders project to looks like next season? Re-sign Heeter and have Stolarz play as his backup? It seems like a fast track for development which is nice in theory, and from all I've heard this season Heeter looks comfortable carrying a heavy load.

SanFilippo mentioned in a prospect article today (http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home) that he wouldn't be surprised to see him backing up in the NHL next year. I would be. I also don't know whos going to be backing up Mason otherwise.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
What do our Phantoms goaltenders project to looks like next season? Re-sign Heeter and have Stolarz play as his backup? It seems like a fast track for development which is nice in theory, and from all I've heard this season Heeter looks comfortable carrying a heavy load.

SanFilippo mentioned in a prospect article today (http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home) that he wouldn't be surprised to see him backing up in the NHL next year. I would be. I also don't know whos going to be backing up Mason otherwise.
I think you'll see Chubak and Stolarz as the goaltenders with the Phantoms next season and that Stolarz will more than likely be the starter (I very much doubt that the Flyers are going to use Stolarz in a back up role there and that they'll want him to get in as much playing time as he can with the Phantoms).

If Stolarz is the backup, it will only be to start out the season. By season's end, he should be firmly entrenched as the starter with the Phantoms. Of course, depending on what kind of NCAA free agents are available this off season, that might change the development plan for Stolarz, but I really doubt it.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
I guess with Heeter they'll either move on or give the guy at shot at the backup role behind Mason next year. He's at least proven himself to be a solid starter at the AHL level so I don't see him wanting to stay there with Stolarz coming in (who should get the bulk of the starts).

Old
02-26-2014, 12:40 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Goulbourne scored his 13th, 14th, & 15th goals of the season tonight (33 points in 58 games).

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 02-26-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old
02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Morin: Part II

Interesting comments from the scouts..

Hopefully his chair is not a folding one....

Quote:
"We all see him as a really good prospect in this league," Blainville-Boisbriand general manager Joel Bouchard told the Daily News last weekend. "He's got a lot of potential, I think that is the key word. How it's going to turn out 4, 5, 6 years from now when I turn on my television? I don't know. No one knows. He's got a good package.

"He could end up as a No. 2 [defenseman] in the NHL. He could end up as a No. 6. It all depends."

....Junior hockey scouts concede Morin was not the safest pick at No. 11 for the Flyers last June. There were other junior hockey players, at various positions, who were more polished and ready to play in the big league sooner. They are much easier, cleaner to project.

Yet, the Flyers took a longer view with Morin, a defenseman with a much higher ceiling. His brief flashes of brilliance in games make scouts giddy with excitement.

"All these months later, I'm still surprised the Flyers took a guy like Samuel Morin that high," said one NHL Eastern Conference scout, perched up in the corner of Palais des Sports Leopold-Drolet in Sherbrooke on Saturday afternoon for a game between the Oceanic and the host Phoenix.

The longtime scout asked to remain nameless, since he did not have permission from his organization to speak publicly about another team's property.

"Philadelphia usually wants a guy that is NHL-ready, someone they can count on now," the scout said. "The NHL is a results business. Morin may bring real results, but it won't be right now. It's easy to see why they wanted him. You cannot buy his kind of size."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...3VdQ6wcfZvw.99

Old
02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm still not worried regardless. The kid just keeps getting better and even more so that his offensive game has been finally showing up this year. Leave him in juniors next season and let him get a lot more chances offensively and grow as a player. More responsibility should also mean more spot light, which also means it should teach him to be a more mature player, on and off the ice. If need be, I'd even give him a year in the AHL before coming up to play with the big club.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty324 View Post
Frank S responded to my tweet and I forget that editors write titles, so of course they are going to sensationalize it.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Hiesenberg

We have seen a ton of promise in the first year. I for one am excited, because we can see a potential ceiling, but we also see a floor. To me it doesn't look like he's gonna bust. He will be a player.

Old
02-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Sadly it took another coach to make JVR realize what he needed to do. Same with Bob and his goalie coach in Columbus. Instead in Philly we just turn on our talent...
Jvr had to go. Way to many off nights and he always seemed to be nicked up. There is no reason to cry about the past. Try Tums that may help you.

Closed Thread