HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 MLB Season Thread

Old
01-22-2014, 09:42 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 29th Pick View Post
most of those "great" Japanese pitchers come over here and get shelled
The only one I really consider a failure is Dice-K. Given the hype of the gyro ball and all that jazz, I truly expected him to be good. I died a little on the inside when the Sox snagged him.

But I didn't know baseball as well back then as I know it then. You look back at Dice-K and his usage in high school, the velocity fluctuation in NPB, the reliance on an assortment of breaking balls high in the zone, and of course is poor control and you realize he wasn't going to be all that great. It was truly a ton of hype.

Kei Igawa was the strikeout king in Japan and he made a living throwing 84 mph changeups letter high. I mean those pitches aren't going to get even AAA hitters out.

Yu Darvish is filthy. His stuff and his deception is just quality. Tanaka looks to be that guy too. Look at Hu in LA too, I mean that's a pitcher who isn't a world beater but you can tell he can succeed in the bigs because he keeps the ball low in the zone and has some sink and velocity on his pitches. Kuroda is fine as well due to his ability to keep the ball low and locate.

You could be from the moon - if you have decent velocity, can locate your breaking ball, and work low in the zone you can get anyone out.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Hot damn.

Now lets see what this guy can do.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:55 AM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
The only one I really consider a failure is Dice-K. Given the hype of the gyro ball and all that jazz, I truly expected him to be good. I died a little on the inside when the Sox snagged him.

But I didn't know baseball as well back then as I know it then. You look back at Dice-K and his usage in high school, the velocity fluctuation in NPB, the reliance on an assortment of breaking balls high in the zone, and of course is poor control and you realize he wasn't going to be all that great. It was truly a ton of hype.

Kei Igawa was the strikeout king in Japan and he made a living throwing 84 mph changeups letter high. I mean those pitches aren't going to get even AAA hitters out.

Yu Darvish is filthy. His stuff and his deception is just quality. Tanaka looks to be that guy too. Look at Hu in LA too, I mean that's a pitcher who isn't a world beater but you can tell he can succeed in the bigs because he keeps the ball low in the zone and has some sink and velocity on his pitches. Kuroda is fine as well due to his ability to keep the ball low and locate.

You could be from the moon - if you have decent velocity, can locate your breaking ball, and work low in the zone you can get anyone out.

there might be a few that worked out, but the ones I remember out here in the East were disappointments, Yanks gave Igawa 26 mill, he was demoted to AAA and then waived = fail, Hideki Irabu ( I rob you ) I dont know what he was payed exactly but it was a lot, he was bad, pitched only 1 post season game (no decision) another fail, Dice-K yeah with all that hype he didnt pan out either

look I'm a Yankee fan and hope Tanaka pans out, but I dont have too much hope, I mean they are just throwing tons of money at him.

The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:58 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 29th Pick View Post
there might be a few that worked out, but the ones I remember out here in the East were disappointments, Yanks gave Igawa 26 mill, he was demoted to AAA and then waived = fail, Hideki Irabu ( I rob you ) I dont know what he was payed exactly but it was a lot, he was bad, pitched only 1 post season game (no decision) another fail, Dice-K yeah with all that hype he didnt pan out either

look I'm a Yankee fan and hope Tanaka pans out, but I dont have too much hope, I mean they are just throwing tons of money at him.
Research is a lot different and Igawa really wasn't paid all that much. I mean, it was a dead contract because he was in AAA basically but he was just a reactionary move by Cashman to try and match the Sox. Stupid.

I think scouts know a lot about these guys now. Tanaka has been on radars for years. He's legit. I mean he can fail like any other top prospect but he's basically on the same level as Yu was when he came here. If not a bit more polished.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:
Research is a lot different and Igawa really wasn't paid all that much. I mean, it was a dead contract because he was in AAA basically but he was just a reactionary move by Cashman to try and match the Sox. Stupid.

I think scouts know a lot about these guys now. Tanaka has been on radars for years. He's legit. I mean he can fail like any other top prospect but he's basically on the same level as Yu was when he came here. If not a bit more polished.
Agreed, the Yankees did their homework on this guy.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:33 AM
StvBroDan
vPLAY WITH HEARTv

Tanakaaaaaaaa Nice. I'm getting excited for some Baseball.

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

According to Jeter's FB page next season will be his last. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of $$ on bleachers.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

I hate the Yankees but I'll probably go catch a game there to see Jeter.. I only have 1 baseball autograph despite being a big Mets fan growing up, and that's a Jeter autograph

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Aaaand just as I suspected. Cheapest last home game tickets against the Orioles are now $180.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:56 PM
MadDog172430
The Best of All Time

Once Marty retires, my childhood is officially dead.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
As a redsox fan..... I cant do anything but applaud Jeter

living legend

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 09:38 PM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

I loved the 90's, Devils were awesome, Yanks were awesome, music was awesome
now Jeter and Marty are all thats left....and they'll be gone soon

The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 10:25 PM
rtr1105
1995 2000 2003

My two favorite baseball players of all-time retiring in back-to-back years. And I'm sure Marty isn't too far behind either. Damn.

rtr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 10:26 PM
rtr1105
1995 2000 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
Aaaand just as I suspected. Cheapest last home game tickets against the Orioles are now $180.
Up to $290. It's ******** considering that the Yanks actually have pretty good playoff chances this year.

rtr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Yikes, glad he's not our problem anymore and that so far all signs have pointed towards well with Pineda in spring training, would be nice to see him make the rotation

Quote:
Coming off an injury and a Biogenesis suspension, former Yankees prospect Jesus Montero reported to Mariners camp 40 pounds overweight this spring, and the team’s general manager has been blunt in his assessment.

“I have zero expectations for Jesus Montero,” Jack Zduriencik told the Seattle Times. “Any expectations I had are gone. … I’m not counting on him. I’m not expecting anything. Whatever he does, he’s got to get our attention — that’s how I’m looking at it.”

Early this spring, Montero said that after playing winter ball, “all I did was eat.” Obviously that comment didn’t go over well, and apparently it’s added to the Mariners existing frustration. There were always rumblings of makeup and motivation concerns when Montero was in the Yankees organization, and those seem to have carried over.

Of course, it’s also worth remembering that Montero is still just 24 years old. He hasn’t performed nearly up to expectation since getting to Seattle. Michael Pineda, meanwhile, has not yet thrown a major-league pitch for the Yankees. That trade is still a long way from defining itself in terms of a winner and a loser.

“I can’t want it for him,” manager Lloyd McClendon said. “At some point, the light has to come on for all of us. When I talked with him, I told him he’s at a crossroads. It’s time to put up or shut up.”

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
MadDog172430
The Best of All Time

4 year, 52 million dollar extension for Gardner. Club option for a 5th year. I'm very happy.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:57 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog172430 View Post
4 year, 52 million dollar extension for Gardner. Club option for a 5th year. I'm very happy.
Eh. I still think they should trade Gardner. I don't think he's very good at baseball. Heck of a defender though.

Also I was big Jesus Montero fan and had big expectations. It's disappointing to see this.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:16 AM
NC107*

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils trap View Post
as a redsox fan..... I cant do anything but applaud jeter

living legend
+1000

NC107* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:29 AM
MadDog172430
The Best of All Time

Quote:
Eh. I still think they should trade Gardner. I don't think he's very good at baseball. Heck of a defender though.

Also I was big Jesus Montero fan and had big expectations. It's disappointing to see this.
We will agree to disagree on Gardner.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:43 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

One month to prepare for the most important draft of my year - fantasy baseball. I'll only brag a little bit about finishing top 2 in each of the past 7 years (5 championships). Massive amounts of rule changes this year all aimed at leveling the playing field. For example I "stream" my starters in my weekly, roto league. So I draft a bunch of hitters and just stack up on premium positions. Now there's an acquisition limit and a bidding system.

Old
02-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Few Yankees scouts were watching a Johan Santana throwing session today

Topped out at 81

Feel bad for the guy, such a promising solid start to his career only killed by injuries

Old
02-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
One month to prepare for the most important draft of my year - fantasy baseball. I'll only brag a little bit about finishing top 2 in each of the past 7 years (5 championships). Massive amounts of rule changes this year all aimed at leveling the playing field. For example I "stream" my starters in my weekly, roto league. So I draft a bunch of hitters and just stack up on premium positions. Now there's an acquisition limit and a bidding system.
Ugh, I hate people who stream starters. We have weekly start limits and FA acquisition budgets to prevent that. Turns it into a game of who has more time to check the matchups than who made good calls in the draft.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:16 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Ugh, I hate people who stream starters. We have weekly start limits and FA acquisition budgets to prevent that. Turns it into a game of who has more time to check the matchups than who made good calls in the draft.
I've been doing it for the past 7 years. 14 team league so closers run thin. I monopolize the closers (I take 6 typically) and monopolize the scarcest positions. So it takes a lot of research and it does take good drafting. If I missed on position players I would be screwed.

Come the deadline I'm usually up about 60 in saves. I pawn closers to teams for studs. I'm talking shutdown pitchers, stud hitters, etc...

This year we have an acquisition budget like I said but no transaction limit. So I just have to be one step ahead of the game and I can still stream.

I'm going to take the day at work to prep for my draft actually . Trying to identify the weakest position his year. Torn between SS/2B/3B. 3B is pretty top heavy and has a ton of intriguing prospects. SS is top heavy as well, but Tulo (who I had last year) and Hanley are injury prone and I don't know how I feel about investing a high pick at SS this year. 2B is Robbie or bust pretty much. I feel like whoever has Robbie has a solid advantage.

I like going "up the middle" early. 2B/SS/C/OF. But this year, with how deep the OF is, I'm not too sure that I'm going to go that route. Might go 3B early.

Last edited by ThePSEGPowerPoster: 02-28-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old
03-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Aroldis Chapman got drilled in the face with a line drive, carted off the field and game postponed

Scary stuff, the fact that the game was postponed worries me even more

edit: he's good, never lost consciousness, just lacerations and contusions

Last edited by Wingman77: 03-19-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old
03-21-2014, 07:42 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

C: Joe Mauer
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Matt Carpenter
SS: Everth Cabrera
3B: Miguel Cabrera
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Matt Kemp
OF: Jayson Werth
OF: Desmond Jennings
UTIL: Christian Yelich
UTIL: Erick Young Jr.
BENCH: Kole Calhoun
BENCH: Kolten Wong
BENCH: Nick Castellanos

SP: Stream
P: Bobby Parnell
P: Jonathan Papelbon
P. Jonathon Broxton
P. David Robertson
RP. Casey Janssen
RP. Nate Jones

Most controversial decision was likely passing on Bryce Harper, who fell, for Giancarlo Stanton. I absolutely love Stanton this year. I was going to take Billy Hamilton but he was taken 2 picks before me. Was planning on Hamilton carrying the steals category for me. My league is a 5x5 ROTO (we use OPS). My offense should win every category except steals. Hoping EY and E-Cab (with some Jennings, Yelich and Kemp along the way) get me some points there and then I can pull a trade for a speed guy later in the year.

My plans completely changed when Votto dropped. Initially, I planned on Miggy and Kipnis/Kinsler to shore up 2B. But you cannot pass on Votto in the 2nd round of a 14 teamer. Then I planned on going Reyes for some speed at SS and realized Stanton could be had (with Cabby there later). I must have done 10 mock drafts and none of them went as good as my real one.