HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darnell Nurse takes top spot in Edmonton Oilers Top 20

Old
02-25-2014, 10:49 PM
BleedingOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Nurses numbers "more than anyone could have imagined"... Seriously?

.6 to .8 ppg is pretty much exactly what you would expect.

Take those homer goggles off. You're putting an overly positive hf fanboy spin on all of those players.
haha no kidding, Nurse is about right where he should be. I was hoping for a ppg pace but that was probably hoping for too much.

BleedingOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:13 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
good skater for his size yes, but, good skater over all? not so sure. He is pretty lanky. I hope he grows into his body.

I am not trying to get down on him at all. I really like him. Just think Klefbom has higher upside and will be a more complete player.
I feel like the last time I heard this exact criticism, someone was defending Lowe for trading Weight for Hecht, Reasoner and Horacek. The poster didn't think that the package of "lanky Slovak" and a 2nd overall that Ottawa got for the (inferior) comparable Yashin was a better package.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:13 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
haha no kidding, Nurse is about right where he should be. I was hoping for a ppg pace but that was probably hoping for too much.
Does not mean it will transfer over with men in the nhl... But its what you expect from a guy drafted and of his size playing against undrafted players.

oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:22 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
What ever happened to Taylor Fedun? Played 4 games got 2 goals and seems to have disappeared off everybody's radar. In the 4 games he was only -1 which at that time was awesome for an oiler.
if you want to have fun look back over the last ten years of lists and see what was said about the guys who were busts and they guys who the list said never had a shot--

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:51 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I feel like the last time I heard this exact criticism, someone was defending Lowe for trading Weight for Hecht, Reasoner and Horacek. The poster didn't think that the package of "lanky Slovak" and a 2nd overall that Ottawa got for the (inferior) comparable Yashin was a better package.
HE is no where near as big as Chara or as mean. Hey, I am not down on him. Just think Klef is still the better prospect.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:56 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Does not mean it will transfer over with men in the nhl... But its what you expect from a guy drafted and of his size playing against undrafted players.
No doubt and I hope he isn't rushed here next year.

Old
02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
if you want to have fun look back over the last ten years of lists and see what was said about the guys who were busts and they guys who the list said never had a shot--
Look at the Blackhawks list back in 06/07. Barker was the #1 prospect (similar to Nurse in terms of hype, maybe more)

Duncan Keith was ranked #12 in the system a 6.5 prospect I believe, similar to a Dillon Simpson or Laleggia.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:37 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I get Hamilton, but why would you want to move Musil? I get making him available if a team wants him, but to try and deal him? That makes no sense
Our strength is defense, so I would flip him for an offensive prospect straight up.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:58 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
No he is not.. Nurse isnt suppose to be an offensive Dman.. Look at Griffin Reinhart's stats since his draft. That is what I expected from Nurse + a lot of physical nastiness.
PPG from a defensive Dman was crazy.. Even Mitch Moroz isnt putting up PPG numbers.
There are not many Dmen that put PPG numbers especially if they bring more than just offense.
post draft season: Pietrangelo had 29pts in 36 games. Subban 46pts in 58GP

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Roof Daddy

The list is fairly accurate, though I would have had Gernat higher. I've only watched one Barons game this year (the most recent game was televised on SN360), but Gernat looked better than Musil or Klefbom. Way more confidence handling the puck (occasionally to a fault) and a better first step (not surprising he'd be better than Musil, but he looked quicker than Klefbom whose skating is his biggest strength).

Also curious why Khaira is so much further ahead of Chase? Haven't watched either, maybe it's warranted, but Chase just seems like an Andrew Shaw type, an all effort guy who will not be denied an NHL roster spot at some point. Is it because of upside? Both seem like bottom 6ers to me.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
DousedInOil

Lander already graduated?

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:08 PM
IV XIV XCI

semi related comment - i have this crappy feeling that the flames will win the lottery and steal Ekblad from us.

And laugh about it for 1.5 decades

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:52 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Our strength is defense, so I would flip him for an offensive prospect straight up.
Ah, I gotcha. I thought you were saying you wanted to get rid of him, not that you wanted to use him as a trade chip.

02-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Dabomb

Nurse has all the tools in the toolbox to be a very good Dman - size, good feet and speed, good hands, tough, fights, great defensively, and now good offensively as well. He's still pretty RAW though but if he can develop the way I think he can, watch out.

Between Moroz, Chase, and Khaira.. I really hope one of them can turn out into a very useful powerforward for the Oilers.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 05:15 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
No he is not.. Nurse isnt suppose to be an offensive Dman.. Look at Griffin Reinhart's stats since his draft. That is what I expected from Nurse + a lot of physical nastiness.
PPG from a defensive Dman was crazy.. Even Mitch Moroz isnt putting up PPG numbers.
There are not many Dmen that put PPG numbers especially if they bring more than just offense.
post draft season: Pietrangelo had 29pts in 36 games. Subban 46pts in 58GP
Reinharts a stay at home dman that didnt get a ton of PP time like Nurse has. Nurses skating and offensive abilty is also way better than Reinharts. Like I said obviously a PPG was an unrealistic expectation but he should easily exclipse that next year if he goes back.

Old
02-26-2014, 05:29 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Nurse has all the tools in the toolbox to be a very good Dman - size, good feet and speed, good hands, tough, fights, great defensively, and now good offensively as well. He's still pretty RAW though but if he can develop the way I think he can, watch out.

Between Moroz, Chase, and Khaira.. I really hope one of them can turn out into a very useful powerforward for the Oilers.
You missed the most important attribute Hockey IQ. Nurse doesn't have a lot IMO. I still say we'll be lucky if he ends up as a middle pairing dman, has higher potential but so have lots of other guys.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You missed the most important attribute Hockey IQ. Nurse doesn't have a lot IMO. I still say we'll be lucky if he ends up as a middle pairing dman, has higher potential but so have lots of other guys.
Can you go into a little more detail as to why you think Nurse has low hockey IQ?

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 06:00 PM
topchowda

Quote:
The only knock against Nurses hockey IQ is that he makes bad decisions with the puck from time to time making risky plays. Most of those habits come from being the #1 go to defense on your OHL who is relied up to do multiple things (shut down and score points), this often results in hanging on to the puck to long

Those bad habits can be fixed with some added coaching and film watching. And in the NHL he will be making simpler decisions as the game is faster. Marincin for example was risky in the WHL and AHL but simplified his game in the NHL.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 06:07 PM
SoftDumps

vCash: 450
Quote:
Of course he isn't a sure fire top pairing guy; almost zero dmen at his age are..you really went out on a limb there

Anyways, I'd like to know how you figure he lacks hockey sense? Have you seen him play very much, if at all?

SoftDumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 02:06 PM
No Good Names Left

Not liking the fact that Moroz is our top rated forward. That doesn't bode well. Does anyone know why Lander isn't in there?

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 02:18 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Good Names Left View Post
Not liking the fact that Moroz is our top rated forward. That doesn't bode well. Does anyone know why Lander isn't in there?
He's over the 65 game limit to be considered a prospect by HF.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 03:21 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Can you go into a little more detail as to why you think Nurse has low hockey IQ?
I'll answer this for all 3 guys who addressed my post. I haven't seen a lot of Nurse this year but last year I watched him a bit leading up to the draft. I was not very impressed to me he's a guy who would have been a late 1st, early 2nd rounder if he was 6'1" instead of 6'4". His slapshot is weak, his skating is decent but not great and his hockey IQ is average at best. I say his hockey IQ is average to low because of the pinches I seen him take as well as going out of position to make hits. Maybe he has improved in that area this year, I'm not sure but Im hopeful that he's going to be a better dman then from what I've seen from him.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Good Names Left View Post
Considering we have Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Perron up front all in the age of 20-25 we shouldn't worry much about not having a stud forward prospect.. we've been drafting gritty, goal scoring forwards with size and that's exactly what we need more of.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 05:46 PM
TheNugeeToHall*
Draft Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
You might as well go post this to every big player that was drafted that still plays in the CHL. Awful logic

TheNugeeToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 05:49 PM
SoftDumps

vCash: 450
Quote:
I'll answer this for all 3 guys who addressed my post. I haven't seen a lot of Nurse this year but last year I watched him a bit leading up to the draft. I was not very impressed to me he's a guy who would have been a late 1st, early 2nd rounder if he was 6'1" instead of 6'4". His slapshot is weak, his skating is decent but not great and his hockey IQ is average at best. I say his hockey IQ is average to low because of the pinches I seen him take as well as going out of position to make hits. Maybe he has improved in that area this year, I'm not sure but Im hopeful that he's going to be a better dman then from what I've seen from him.
That's interesting. You didn't mention how he takes care of the puck/anything about his decision making with it, which is imo the most important aspect regarding hockey IQ. After all, the puck is kind of important in the context of playing hockey.

By all accounts I've heard he is pretty darn good playing without the puck, so I'm not worried re: chasing hits/positioning like you seem to be.

Anyways, I think he has the tools to be pretty awesome, it is his puck management as he transitions to pro that I will be keeping an eye on most closely. I hope he can put it all together.

SoftDumps is offline   Reply With Quote