HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2014, 09:44 PM
tabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Bolland at 5M would be iffy.
We'd be switching Gagner at 4.8 to Bolland for say 5.2 for comparison. Both centers, both right hand shots, one can shut down other team's players.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post
Dreger was saying that Bolland wants 5+ mill to resign in TO but that they would want to resign him in the 4+ mill range. Also says that they would trade him for a player, not picks. Specifically, either a top 9 forward or top 4 dman. Would Gagner+ for Bolland make sense? Would Bolland at that price be reasonable? Would have to be agreed to extend prior to the deal.

Hell we can throw in NSchultz too
I think Bolland is a good return for Gagner, but I am in no rush to Gagner right now. I'd rather see a coaching change.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
A team with Michal Handzus as their #2C seems like a weird team to be crushing on for centers.
I thought Saad is winger/2nd line C for them along with Pirri.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
so mact wants to trade current nhlers for players who wont be ready for 5 years (most guys outside of the first round take about 5 years to get to the show) and that is to help the oilers turn things around? So the time Eberle, Hall and Nuges contracts are up--he thinks the oilers will turn things around
What is so hard to understand about this? It's a business. He's not going to just let guys like Hemsky, and Schultz go for nothing if he knows he's not going to bring them back next year anyways. Why wouldn't you get something for them? We are in 29th place.. the season is over. Time to focus on next year. Stock pile picks for the draft, allow some guys like Pitlick and Lander to play up here the rest of the year and see if they're ready, clear some cap + roster spots etc.. It's not like he's trading roster players away without replacing them. Obviously they will be replaced through Free Agency.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:02 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
so mact wants to trade current nhlers for players who wont be ready for 5 years (most guys outside of the first round take about 5 years to get to the show) and that is to help the oilers turn things around? So the time Eberle, Hall and Nuges contracts are up--he thinks the oilers will turn things around
Stay on target!

Old
02-25-2014, 10:03 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
What is so hard to understand about this? It's a business. He's not going to just let guys like Hemsky, and Schultz go for nothing if he knows he's not going to bring them back next year anyways. Why wouldn't you get something for them? We are in 29th place.. the season is over. Time to focus on next year. Stock pile picks for the draft, allow some guys like Pitlick and Lander to play up here the rest of the year and see if they're ready, clear some cap + roster spots etc.. It's not like he's trading roster players away without replacing them. Obviously they will be replaced through Free Agency.
Stay on taarget!!!!!

Old
02-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444655
It says MacT wants to get back their picks, and potentially more!
What an idiot, doesn't he know the Oilers track record at developing 3rd round picks?

Alexander Lyubimov 2000
Kenny Smith 2001
Brock Radunske 2002
Mikhail Zhukov 2003
Zack Stortini 2003
2004 no pick in 3rd round - 2nd round Roman Tesliuk & Geoff Paukovich 4th rnd Liam Reddox
Danny Syvret & Robby Dee 2005
Theo Peckham 2006
2007 Plante and Nash in the 1st rnd & no 3rd round pick
2008 Eberle in the 1st Motin in the 4th
Troy Hesketh & Cameron Abney 2009
Ryan Martindale 2010
Samu Perhonen & Travis Ewanyk 2011

Going back as far as 1988 the only 3rd rounders of note are Comrie, Poti and Maltby. 26 years, 32 picks counting the two from last year.

Getting Scrivens' jock strap for a 3rd round pick was brilliant, trading away anyone who can walk and chew gum at the same time for a 3rd round pick is an insult.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:10 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
What do you expect? The only guy who should return a roster player is Gagner.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:12 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I thought Saad is winger/2nd line C for them along with Pirri.
Saad has only played wing and Pirri is down in the AHL because Quennville isn't a fan of his.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:14 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
What an idiot, doesn't he know the Oilers track record at developing 3rd round picks?

Alexander Lyubimov 2000
Kenny Smith 2001
Brock Radunske 2002
Mikhail Zhukov 2003
Zack Stortini 2003
2004 no pick in 3rd round - 2nd round Roman Tesliuk & Geoff Paukovich 4th rnd Liam Reddox
Danny Syvret & Robby Dee 2005
Theo Peckham 2006
2007 Plante and Nash in the 1st rnd & no 3rd round pick
2008 Eberle in the 1st Motin in the 4th
Troy Hesketh & Cameron Abney 2009
Ryan Martindale 2010
Samu Perhonen & Travis Ewanyk 2011

Going back as far as 1988 the only 3rd rounders of note are Comrie, Poti and Maltby. 26 years, 32 picks counting the two from last year.

Getting Scrivens' jock strap for a 3rd round pick was brilliant, trading away anyone who can walk and chew gum at the same time for a 3rd round pick is an insult.
So you want us to stand pat? If he can unload some expiring contracts for picks its a win. Where does he state he plans on using them and not trading them?

Old
02-25-2014, 10:14 PM
jbean

I don't like how MacT talks to the media about what he wants to do. Hold your cards close to your chest MacT! He talked about making a bold move earlier, also said he would never trade Gagner yet he has been shopped around the whole league apparently. Just don't say anything, it doesn't help your cause and could hinder it.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Stay on taarget!!!!!
What are we not allowed to discuss about the rumors? The rumor is that the Oilers will look to add picks for their rentals (well it's actually kinda confirmed), he disagrees, I agree, we debate.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
I don't like how MacT talks to the media about what he wants to do. Hold your cards close to your chest MacT! He talked about making a bold move earlier, also said he would never trade Gagner yet he has been shopped around the whole league apparently. Just don't say anything, it doesn't help your cause and could hinder it.
I agree but you have to remember he's a rookie GM. I think MacTavish has great potential as a manager.. he's smart, well spoken and has shown he's not afraid to toss money/assets if it improves our team but he definitely needs to keep some things out of the media. He'll learn as he gains experience.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
So you want us to stand pat? If he can unload some expiring contracts for picks its a win. Where does he state he plans on using them and not trading them?
I want him to realise that setting a goal of getting the 3rd round pick back is like buying socks that already have holes in them. If they trade away players they need players or prospects back, not 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

Believe it or not their track record in the 2nd round is even worse than in the 3rd.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005632.html

It's a huge joke how poorly they have drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round, I know for a fact that Maggie the Macaque would have done better. It's statistically inpossible for her not to.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:23 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
What are we not allowed to discuss about the rumors? The rumor is that the Oilers will look to add picks for their rentals (well it's actually kinda confirmed), he disagrees, I agree, we debate.
That x-wing fighter was about to clip the wall and go spinning off into the daily "mgmt are idiots, fire MacT "discussion""

Old
02-25-2014, 10:28 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Yes, because surely no GM would be able to guess that MacT would want draft picks for his 5-6 d-men he dumps.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:33 PM
oilcountry17

Quote:
that was what bbo wanted a rumor thread only discuss rumors on the proposal thread....
so we don't have to weed the all the banter and bull crap to get the actual rumors not your opinions...

Old
02-25-2014, 10:36 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
I want him to realise that setting a goal of getting the 3rd round pick back is like buying socks that already have holes in them. If they trade away players they need players or prospects back, not 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

Believe it or not their track record in the 2nd round is even worse than in the 3rd.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005632.html

It's a huge joke how poorly they have drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round, I know for a fact that Maggie the Macaque would have done better. It's statistically inpossible for her not to.
Besides Gagner we don't have anybody who is going to fetch anything more than picks or a mid grade prospect combined with a pick.

Last edited by BleedingOil: 02-25-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old
02-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcountry17 View Post
that was what bbo wanted a rumor thread only discuss rumors on the proposal thread....
so we don't have to weed the all the banter and bull crap to get the actual rumors not your opinions...
That's simply unrealistic..

Old
02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Besides Gagner we don't have anybody who is going to fetch anything more than picks or a mid grade prospect.
Then keep them and develop them. It's better than trading them for picks that have no chance of getting to their current level of play.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:54 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Then keep them and develop them. It's better than trading them for picks that have no chance of getting to their current level of play.
The guys he's looking to move have no future here and are finished there development. We are a bottom feeder and you want to retain plugs like Schultz?

Old
02-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
I'll take Craig MacTavish over Steve "I'll sit on my cards and do nothing" Tambellini

02-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'll take Craig MacTavish over Steve "I'll sit on my cards and do nothing" Tambellini
If there was a real choice, it wouldn't be either of them.

A choice between Steve Twiddlethumbs and Clueless Mactransparent is just another way of saying "choose your poison".

Old
02-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
The guys he's looking to move have no future here and are finished there development. We are a bottom feeder and you want to retain plugs like Schultz?
Is the team better off with Schultz, or drafting another Kenny Smith, Alexander Lyubimov, Alex Henry, Sergei Yerkovich...?

I don't believe in change for the sake of change.

Old
02-25-2014, 11:50 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Is the team better off with Schultz, or drafting another Kenny Smith, Alexander Lyubimov, Alex Henry, Sergei Yerkovich...?

I don't believe in change for the sake of change.
It's not change for the sake of change, Schultz clearly has no future here. You move him for a pick, if possible. At this point he may have zero value, hopefully he does fetch a pick and we can upgrade via trade or free agency. Resigning him is not an option, he is waste of a contract/roster spot at this point.

Closed Thread