HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills driving Bruins tix increase?

Old
02-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Squirrell71
Offensive

vCash: 500
Buffalo Bills driving Bruins tix increase?

Its not a conspiracy theory. I bring this discussion up with great interest (I'm a Bills fan also) in finding out and trying to learn what it would take for Jacobs to rid himself of the Bruins and going after the Bills.

We all know Jacobs is from and lives in Buffalo
We've all seen the links where he states he's interested in the Bills if/when they become available.
Bills owner Ralph Wilson Jr. is 95 years old
Ralph and his family have always stated the Bills would be for sale upon his death

So I'm wondering what the NFL owners would require from Jacobs as far as the Bruins go? I do know you can't own separate sports franchise's in other cities. But would the NFL be ok with Jeremy selling to Charlie?

Is Jacobs trying to purge as much $$$$$ as possible from the Bruins while they're still successful in preparation for a Bills purchase?

Squirrell71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:41 AM
DropkickMurphy

You can own teams in different cities. The owner of the Philadelphia 76ers owns the New Jersey Devils.

DropkickMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:41 AM
duckchobbins

While I don't know details, the motivations behind owning the Boston Bruins are simply to make as much money as possible. Otherwise he shouldn't be owning the team.

So in that case, yeah sure, maybe you're right.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Squirrell71
Offensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickMurphy View Post
You can own teams in different cities. The owner of the Philadelphia 76ers owns the New Jersey Devils.
You sure about that? And that this isn't/wasn't a "grandfathered" situation?

Squirrell71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:44 AM
DropkickMurphy

It just happened this past fall.

DropkickMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:47 AM
qc
#TeamClode

vCash: 69

Just keep the payroll flowing and I'm content.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:54 AM
hoss75

I don't think it's as much as putting resources together for the Bills as it is following the other franchises in the area. Given the strong bandwagon culture, you can charge nearly anything you want if a team is popular.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:03 AM
TCL40

Yeah I think this is about making as much money off the team as he can while he can. I so think he's figured out when it comes to hockey people will pay astronomical prices for tickets if the team is good. This is the downside of winning the cup and going to a cup final. I don't think it has anything to do with the Bills but more trying to take in as much money as he can as long as their are people who pay the prices.

I have never been able to afford season tickets but the last hockey game I could afford to attend was the year they won the cup. I just can't afford to take my kids to a game if the tickets are almost 100 per seat and not very good seats. I can take my family to a Monarch's game for the price of one Bruins ticket. I think the sad thing with the ticket increases is that a lot of hard core hockey fans can't afford to go.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:06 AM
RussellmaniaKW

I would actually be worried if Jacobs sold the Bruins. For all the "Jacobs is cheap" rhetoric, he allows Chiarelli to do his job and spend to the cap and we have a cup to show for it. There are much worse ownership scenarios out there...just ask Islanders fans.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Dtb1381

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I would actually be worried if Jacobs sold the Bruins. For all the "Jacobs is cheap" rhetoric, he allows Chiarelli to do his job and spend to the cap and we have a cup to show for it. There are much worse ownership scenarios out there...just ask Islanders fans.
Boston Media would crush ownership day in and day out if we were the islanders. Remember when we couldn't get 14000 in the building to save our life? And I'd say 4 or 5000 of those seats were filled with drunk college/high school students who paid 10$ a seat. I remember because I was one of them. We won't go back to that. To much money in the market. I'm sure there will be a down couple of years, but not like that. I'm going to enjoy this success, but I want them to be terrible for a couple of years in the near future (5-10 years from now)so I can swoop up season tickets for life. (Sorry gents)

Dtb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:32 AM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I think the sad thing with the ticket increases is that a lot of hard core hockey fans can't afford to go.
I think long term it will bite all these teams in the rear.. In our lifetime sporting events have gone from affordable entertainment to a very special treat for the average working guy. If the prices keep going up, they'll make money but start to lose out on new lifetime fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
In the current cap environment, Jacobs is a good owner. There are set costs and he doesn't seem to have a problem playing them.. His family is historically hands off which allows the Chia and Cam to succeed.. It's working.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Jacobs is trying to earn as much money off the Bruins as possible and not doing this for charity?

Oh the humanity!
You can actually be some place in between, make money and not try and wring every cent out of the fanbase.

I'n sure winning the cup and going to another finals has brought JJ some extra cash.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Therick67

Quote:
He's in the supply and demand business. Consumer controls how much money Jacobs makes...

We are in a salary cap world where he is spending as much as possible on the roster, hired a fantastic coach, a great GM, and some very damn good professional scouts. What are the rest of your expectations? Free ticket wednesdays?

Thanks for the economics lesson, I had no ideal how business works.

My expectations as a Bruins fan of 35 plus years is to be able to take my kids to a game or two. I've supported this team when it was a joke owned by the very same guy.

Didn't say anything about free

Old
02-26-2014, 10:12 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

The NFL is usually picky about who buys their teams in the approval process. The league usually does not want someone buying an NFL team to own another team in another sport. I think Paul Allen (Seahawks/Trail Blazers) and Stan Kroenke (STL Rams/Avalanche) are the only guys who own an NFL team and another major US team (MLB/NBA/NHL)

I'd imagine the NFL would make an exception for Jacobs; pretty sure they'd love another hardliner around for the next CBA negotiation.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:17 AM
NinthSpoke06

Stan Kroenke owns 4 sport franchises in California and he owns the St. Louis Rams.

Because the Colorado teams are owned in the name of his son Josh Kroenke.

NFL would be extremely hypocritical if they didn't allow Jeremy Jacob to buy the Buffalo Bills.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:17 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
Those statements back to back are interesting, mocking me for saying its a supply and demand business and then stating that your expectation is for them to ignore supply and demand.
Well, they pretty much forgot there was a four month lockout 14 months ago, so the hope was there that they might also forget the laws of economics.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Those statements back to back are interesting, mocking me for saying its a supply and demand business and then stating that your expectation is for them to ignore supply and demand.
I mocked you? I guess the free ticket Wednesday remark wasn't mocking on your part?

Anyway, yeah. He's done very well financially owning this team and I have no problem with it.

I'm not sure where I said he should ignore supply and demand.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Thanks for the economics lesson, I had no ideal how business works.

My expectations as a Bruins fan of 35 plus years is to be able to take my kids to a game or two. I've supported this team when it was a joke owned by the very same guy.

Didn't say anything about free
If the prices were such that every working stiff could take their kids to a game, given the popularity of the Bruins, every other working stiff with kids in NE is going to jump on tickets, making them even more rare than they are today. So paying face value means you are essentially entering a lottery, where only the fastest dialers/clickers get the cheap price. And then if you really want to go to a game, that means you pay the (even more) astronomical prices at Stub Hub.

Supply and demand isn't called a Law for nothing.

jgatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:00 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
You can actually be some place in between, make money and not try and wring every cent out of the fanbase.

I'n sure winning the cup and going to another finals has brought JJ some extra cash.
The market sets the price. Jacobs simply acts accordingly. If the place is a sell-out, or close to one, night in and night out, then as much as you might not like it he is doing what most successful business men do: match the market price.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Bruinfan5470

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post
The NFL is usually picky about who buys their teams in the approval process. The league usually does not want someone buying an NFL team to own another team in another sport. I think Paul Allen (Seahawks/Trail Blazers) and Stan Kroenke (STL Rams/Avalanche) are the only guys who own an NFL team and another major US team (MLB/NBA/NHL)

I'd imagine the NFL would make an exception for Jacobs; pretty sure they'd love another hardliner around for the next CBA negotiation.
You must add Thomas Benson he owns the New Orleans Saints-NFL and the Pelicans of the NBA.

Bruinfan5470 is offline   Reply With Quote