HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2014, 11:51 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Is the team better off with Schultz, or drafting another Kenny Smith, Alexander Lyubimov, Alex Henry, Sergei Yerkovich...?

I don't believe in change for the sake of change.
The idea is moving out Schultz, getting an asset for him and then hopefully improving that spot in the offseason.

Why not get an asset when you're going to let him walk and bring in a better player anyway?

Old
02-26-2014, 12:12 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The idea is moving out Schultz, getting an asset for him and then hopefully improving that spot in the offseason.

Why not get an asset when you're going to let him walk and bring in a better player anyway?
How about not playing a ton of rookies over the last 20 games and possibly allowing the guys to try and make a playoff run in OKC. I think that would be better for a guy like Klefbom's development then having him up here playing in meaningless games. Same with guys like Pitlick, Lander, Horak, etc... No reason to move guys out for 3rd rounders and potentially set back their development or not have them develop properly.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:12 AM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444655
It says MacT wants to get back their picks, and potentially more!
It rumours Gagner, Smyth and Hemsky, so, I think this rumour is easy:
Gagner for 2nd.
Smyth for 3rd.
Hemsky for 4th.

Boom. Give me millions and make me GM.
I'd be livid if we only got a 2nd for Gagner and a 4th for Hemsky.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:22 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
How about not playing a ton of rookies over the last 20 games and possibly allowing the guys to try and make a playoff run in OKC. I think that would be better for a guy like Klefbom's development then having him up here playing in meaningless games. Same with guys like Pitlick, Lander, Horak, etc... No reason to move guys out for 3rd rounders and potentially set back their development or not have them develop properly.
We don't have that problem, say we move Schultz and Belov. We still have Schultz, Ferance, Petry, Fraser, Larsen, Potter, Grebs, Hunt and Fedun
Edit. Forgot about MM who would likely go down for a playoff run anyways

Old
02-26-2014, 12:24 AM
BleedingOil

Really hope we can dump Bryz for a pick but I doubt anyone takes him. Would like to see LB and Bunz see more time in OKC

Old
02-26-2014, 12:29 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
We also have older forwards we can plug in if Hemsky, Smyth or Jones go for picks.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:31 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
We don't have that problem, say we move Schultz and Belov. We still have Schultz, Ferance, Petry, Fraser, Larsen, Potter, Grebs, Hunt and Fedun
Edit. Forgot about MM who would likely go down for a playoff run anyways
And who plays forward if we dump Hemsky, Jones, and Smyth(Doubt he gets traded)?

Old
dnicks17

Quote:
Like BleedingOil said, they have plenty of bodies.

18 forwards and 12 defenseman who have played games with the big club already this season are in the organization right now.

Old
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
We also have older forwards we can plug in if Hemsky, Smyth or Jones go for picks.
Yea but those older forwards play a role in OKC.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:34 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Yea but those older forwards play a role in OKC.
Sure they do but wouldn't you rather see young blood playing a larger role instead of a vet?

Old
02-26-2014, 12:40 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
And who plays forward if we dump Hemsky, Jones, and Smyth(Doubt he gets traded)?
Arcobello Eager Acton Hamilton. Obviously not ideal but we're clearly not going anywhere this year. I also don't think bringing up Lander or Horak would be bad for there development.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:57 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
minus Hemsky

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Gagner-Eberle
Hendricks-Gordon-Jones
Joensuu-Smyth-Gazdic/Pitlick

minus Hemsky + Jones

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Gagner-Eberle
Joensuu/Pitlick-Gordon-Hendricks
Pitlick/Joensuu-Smyth-Gazdic

minus Hemsky + Jones + Smyth

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Gagner-Eberle
Joensuu/Pitlick-Gordon-Hendricks
Pitlick/Joensuu-Lander/Arcobello-Gazdic
Lander/Arco

So to answer your question, Lander or Arcobello come up if Smyth gets traded, Pitlick comes up if Hemsky or Jones gets traded.

Old
02-26-2014, 01:31 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I'd definitely like to see more of Fedun on the Oilers. If the Oilers dump one or two of their (many) bottom pairing dmen I'd want him up as he's looked good in OKC and decent in his short stint with the Oilers.

Fedun is turning 26 in a few months so it's not as if he's completely green. Even for a dman that's old enough to be given a shot by now. We need to see if he's got what it takes at the NHL level... and this is a good time to give him 10+ games.

Old
02-26-2014, 01:34 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Sure they do but wouldn't you rather see young blood playing a larger role instead of a vet?
I'd rather have young blood having a reason to compete. To me having an extra 3rd rounder doesn't offset the potential development of guys like Pitlick, Klefbom in a playoff push/playoffs. If OKC gets lucky and makes it in then we could actually see Nurse in a few games in the A as well. What the Oilers should be concentrating on is trying to get OKC into the playoffs and leave the present club alone until the draft.

Old
02-26-2014, 01:41 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
I'd rather have young blood having a reason to compete. To me having an extra 3rd rounder doesn't offset the potential development of guys like Pitlick, Klefbom in a playoff push/playoffs. If OKC gets lucky and makes it in then we could actually see Nurse in a few games in the A as well. What the Oilers should be concentrating on is trying to get OKC into the playoffs and leave the present club alone until the draft.
It would be a massive mistake if Hemsky wasn't traded and walks in the offseason. I highly doubt he has any interest in an extension. Schultz wouldn't be as bad but why keep him if he garners interest? Fedun can come up and easily replace him.

Old
02-26-2014, 01:51 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
It would be a massive mistake if Hemsky wasn't traded and walks in the offseason. I highly doubt he has any interest in an extension. Schultz wouldn't be as bad but why keep him if he garners interest? Fedun can come up and easily replace him.
Which basically kills OKC's chance for a playoff spot since Ive been told he's playing top pairing. And look into Hemsky and if you can get a roster player for him + a pick or a 1st great. If all your getting is a low 2nd in a weak draft you might as well keep him to.

Old
02-26-2014, 02:50 AM
oilman9482

Trade Hemsky, Gagner, and a prospect for Callahan. Draft Sam Bennett. 1st and 2nd lines are great for the next 7 years at least.

Then the team still needs a couple top 4 dmen to be a solid playoff team.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Ghostbuster

I really think Nick Schultz will be the only player traded this deadline.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Some teams have a rep for drafting and developing great d-men - like StL, Nash, NJ...

Det has been the only team that I noticed drafting/developing centers at a crazy rate in recent years but I just took notice of how they have been developing centers in Chicago.

Say what you want about Toews having great potential and being a high draft pick at 3rd overall (he was actually the 2nd center taken that year after Jordan Staal) but Chi has developed him into one of the top 3 centers in the world.

Dave Bolland was an awesome shut down center there and he was a 32nd overall pick. If the Oilers had him in their lineup they would have held the Sedins off the scoresheet in at least one game over the past ten years.

This Markus Kruger they got was taken in the 5th round, and he's the reason I was even looking at Chi. He was just excellent against Canada in the Gold game. Whenever he touched the puck in the d zone the play just disintegrated for Canada. How many centers like that have the Oilers drafted/developed in the 1st round in the last 20 years? Todd Marchant, that's about it.

Look at the 2011 draft, there are 2 kids who have played over 100 games from the 11th overall pick and lower - Brandon Saad at 43rd overall and Andrew Shaw from the 5th round, both from Chi.

The Hawks have 2 developing centers in Teuvo Teravainen (Fin Elite League 42gp-8g-32a-40pts +/-0) and Brandon Pirri who lead the AHL in scoring last year at 22 yrs old.

It's obvious that they don't have room for all their centers and if their recent history is proof of anything, a center taken from that org is gold. I don't have a lot of faith in MacT but if he gets a center from Chi I will be impressed.

I'm not pimping Pirri as a 2nd line c here, but I bet he would make the roster here and stand out like a sore thumb due to a lack of suckiness.

I wish I had the center ice pkg now, I decided not to get it this year when RNH and Gagner started off the season injured and I'm too cheap to pay $200 for the last 22 games. I'd love to see some Chi games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
A team with Michal Handzus as their #2C seems like a weird team to be crushing on for centers.
I agree with dnicks. CHI is always looking for centers and playing guys out of position. Last time we took a center from them the guy turned out to look horrid here and then went to a contender and looked good again.

Good teams can make average guys look good.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:48 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcountry17 View Post
that was what bbo wanted a rumor thread only discuss rumors on the proposal thread....
so we don't have to weed the all the banter and bull crap to get the actual rumors not your opinions...
Then he needs to lock it and only have mods posting like they do on the main boards when it gets busy. A rumor thread doesn't work because people want to discuss said rumor.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:52 AM
the tikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I believe Stauffer referenced the Montreal Canadiens when he said that they'd be looking for a 2nd or a 'B' rate prospect
Unfortunately, "B-rate" almost certainly means no Beaulieu or Tinordi - unless the Oil maybe add a Gernat or something...

As for the Pittsburg Despres rumour, you have to think they'll be far less likely to part with D now that Letang's status is up in the air. It'll likely be draft picks, like the man himself said.

By the way - in case a mod reads this - is the above post appropriate? I mean - I'm discussing the reported rumour, but kind of wondering about what names would be involved, too. So it's like a rumour-based half-proposal or something. Does this fit?

Old
02-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Mr Sakich

If Hemsky's value is a very late first or second round pick, I wonder if we can bump that up a bit by including another asset like Lander or Simpson. IMO, backup goalies, 4th line players and bottom 3 defencemen are very easy to replace via free agency or trade. I like Lander but would rather have an improved shot at a difference maker.

Mact could sell the deal as a playoff rental plus a replacement for the first round pick. The other team get s a playoff rental plus a prospect that will probably play in the NHL. This might get Phx or Nashville to bite

Old
02-26-2014, 09:09 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I want him to realise that setting a goal of getting the 3rd round pick back is like buying socks that already have holes in them. If they trade away players they need players or prospects back, not 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

Believe it or not their track record in the 2nd round is even worse than in the 3rd.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005632.html

It's a huge joke how poorly they have drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round, I know for a fact that Maggie the Macaque would have done better. It's statistically inpossible for her not to.
Ugh.

Mediocre rentals like Hemsky, Schultz, Bryz, Jones or Smyth almost always net draft picks at the deadline. It's almost as if some of you just starting following hockey and have no idea what usually transpires at trade deadlines.
Teams that are in playoff races aren't going to give up roster players or even good prospects for decent rentals so generally, the return will be draft picks or mediocre prospects and i'd rather they get picks because those are more valuable in a trade scenario.

Also, the chances are that MacT is looking to package these picks for roster players at the draft so don't be so sure that he's acquiring them to draft more longshot prospects although if the last draft is any indication, he'll strike out on player trades and acquire a bunch of 5th and 6th rounders.

I'm usually not one to defend MacT, but i don't see anything wrong with him looking to acquire picks for his UFA's.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Jesse Joensuu

vCash: 450
I don't understand the anger towards MacT about wanting to attain picks. For the last few years we've been drafting top 10, thus not allowing us to build up a pool of secondary prospects. Schultz, Hemsky, Smyth, and Jones aren't going to be part of our future, and if we don't keep them we will likely release them in the offseason anyway. So getting picks isn't a terrible thing, we would be able to stock the cupboards with prospect depth.

Not many teams are gonna give up roster players for what were offering.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:26 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
I don't understand the anger towards MacT about wanting to attain picks. For the last few years we've been drafting top 10, thus not allowing us to build up a pool of secondary prospects. Schultz, Hemsky, Smyth, and Jones aren't going to be part of our future, and if we don't keep them we will likely release them in the offseason anyway. So getting picks isn't a terrible thing, we would be able to stock the cupboards with prospect depth.

Not many teams are gonna give up roster players for what were offering.
How does drafting in the top ten not allow us to build a pool of secondary prospects? We still had 2nd and 3rd rounders. I also don't know that we haven't built a pool of secondary prospects. It might not be the best, but there are guys in there such as Lander, Pitlick, Kledbom, Marincin etc...

However I don't see nothing wrong with getting picks for guys that aren't going to be here next year.

I guess though if we are worried about giving up players and then being forced to get rookies that MacT probably could just get plugs from teams along with picks. Hypothetically if LA is offering a 2nd for Hemsky, is it going to break them to ask for Colin Fraser or some 25-27 year old from their AHL team to fill that spot?

Closed Thread