Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2014 Winter Olympics

Old
02-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Joe Zanussi

vCash: 500
The big ice promotes collapsing in the middle of the ice and around the net, imo. It looks pretty because guys have room to skat up the boards but its often impossible to move the puck from the boards to the middle of the ice.

Joe Zanussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Fossy21
Nobel Prize Deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zanussi View Post
The big ice promotes collapsing in the middle of the ice and around the net, imo. It looks pretty because guys have room to skat up the boards but its often impossible to move the puck from the boards to the middle of the ice.
It's a different play style for sure. I don't know if it's necessarily automatically bad hockey if you have good defencemen on that surface. The SHL is one of the most defensive leagues in the world and I watched a physical, playoff atmosphere:y 6-5 game earlier between the top team and one of the bottom ones (which has a much better team on the paper than what you'd think when looking at the standings, especially a great offence), and in contrast you also get really boring NHL level games. There are just different offensive opportunities, and a lot of NHL players aren't going to find them in the 2 ½ weeks the Olympics went on for - so most of the teams stacked with NHL players looked to their D for offensive production. Teams like Finland, with some NHL talent mixed with KHL and FEL players, seemed to manage producing a lot of goals in more varied manners consistently (except perhaps against a team Sweden that shut them down but also dominated possession and offensive zone time by a staggering amount).

If the NHL implemented IIHF rink sizes, it wouldn't look anywhere near like what the Olympic matches which for example Team USA, Canada, and Sweden were involved in, especially not in the long run. Having said that, I don't think it would necessarily make for a better/equally good product (I'm much more inclined to say the opposite). We just wouldn't know unless they actually went there. And I hope we won't know.

Fossy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:30 AM
qc

vCash: 69

Oh, and DK's take on the elite Czech coaching display..

Quote:
I thought we were all over the place. … We didn't even know what we were doing at some points,” Krejci said. “It was fun. I had a good time, but I'm glad I'm back here and playing Boston hockey.”
http://www.milforddailynews.com/arti...3/11523/SPORTS

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:32 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post

Oh, and DK's take on the elite Czech coaching display..

http://www.milforddailynews.com/arti...3/11523/SPORTS

way funny

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Fopppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossy21 View Post
People in Sweden complain about there even being a World Championship because Sweden and Russia are the only teams that are competitive (think Sweden won their quarterfinal this year by 30-4 or something like that, while resting four key players). Seems like quite a fun sport to watch, though I've never got into it. Hybrid between hockey and football (soccer), but seemingly much more eventful than the latter. Competitiveness doesn't seem to be a huge factor when it comes to what sports to include, with the way some countries still dominate sports which have been around for long and which they have a strong history in (Norway in all cross-country events and other skiing events most of which they invented, Netherlands with their skating, etc.). It seems a little arbitrary, or at least political.
Bandy is a fantastic sport, but one that is very difficult to take in if you're not involved. I grew up in one of the great Swedish bandy hotbeds, Sandviken, so I've taken in a couple hundred games (or something like that) and have played a bit myself. Which means I can read the game without having eyes on the ball at all times. But I know plenty of people that are into sports that are completely nullified when trying to watch bandy because they can't see the ball when the play moves quickly. Which is understandable with the ball being tennis-ball sized on a football-sized sheet of ice. Getting whacked with sticks using golf-swings it can and does travel pretty fast most of the time.

It's a fascinating game to watch though, and pretty darn hard to play as a wrong turn here or there can leave you 30-40 yards away from the play in an instant as the players are pretty much never standing still, the skate blades having freakishly long "flat parts" (there's probably a technical term for this, but I hope you get the gist, hockey blades generally have no "flat part" at all but rather a continuous curve if I'm not mistaken) meaning the players glide around in circles rater than starting and stopping most of the time. For an untrained eye it might just look like a jumble of bodies going in different directions most of the time, but there's an aesthetic to it that's really hard to describe. That video didn't do it any justice really. Neither does televised games in general actually, which is probably another stumbling block in any attempt to get it into the Olympics, which is a bit of a shame as something like that might raise the status of the sport a bit and make some other nations take note and make the game more competitive on an international level eventually.

Fopppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:52 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
It was horrendous. Little hitting. Easier to play defensively. Made the game more like soccer.

The entire tournament was generally boring. I mean, you had Sweden/Finland and US/Canada as the final four, and those four games sucked. Sucked. Boring as ****.

I hated the bigger ice.
I actually thought the games looked slower-and I have long been told big ice is faster.

Maybe I would have a different opinion if the ice surface wasn't so terrible (and it's pretty clear the ice was rarely optimal in Sochi and ranged more from bad to terrible). But the games even the close ones were kind of dull at times.

I think the best game I watched was probably the US/Canada women's game (I did miss the Friday games for the men). That game doesn't allow body checking but I missed the hitting in the men's game.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 10:42 AM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

vCash: 444
[IMG][/IMG]

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote