HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Losing confidence in MacT

Old
02-26-2014, 07:00 AM
oilphan

vCash: 500
Losing confidence in MacT

First off. I love the guy. I loved him being hired. But, I am getting concerned with him given his support for Eakins. If he is just publicly supporting him, but truly concerned about him, then I understand. But the things he is saying are delusional.

We have not been improving over the last 10 games. I think we have been getting worse. We are getting lucky to be propped up by great goal tending. I am very concerned about Hall's impact on games because of the dump and chase mentality. I am very concerned that he has alienated Yak. I am very concerned about the atrocious PP.

How can MacT actually believe in this guy? We are in for a long and crappy next couple of year with Eakins at the helm. I just hope that we don't lose our core because of it.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Oilerz

No. Just No.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Oil80

vCash: 300
what I find strange is that you had confidence in him

Oil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:27 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
he publically showed confidence in ralph before he skype slashed him

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

How are we not improving I mean, if we were under .500 in 10 games I'd understand but we are 5-3-2. He has shown IMPROVEMENT. Your point is invalid along those lines. As for confidence to Eakins, didn't we jump on Kruger and say he was a horrible coach then at the end we were kind of like "ok, lets try him one more season since it does take time to kink out the bad stuff going on", and we haven't even given him 1 full season. I would like to see if MacT can rehire Kruger as an associate Coach (Doubt he will take it, but weirder things have happened).

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
How are we not improving I mean, if we were under .500 in 10 games I'd understand but we are 5-3-2. He has shown IMPROVEMENT. Your point is invalid along those lines. As for confidence to Eakins, didn't we jump on Kruger and say he was a horrible coach then at the end we were kind of like "ok, lets try him one more season since it does take time to kink out the bad stuff going on", and we haven't even given him 1 full season. I would like to see if MacT can rehire Kruger as an associate Coach (Doubt he will take it, but weirder things have happened).
They are 29th in the league and get outshot and outchanced heavily every night.
If it wasn't for the unsustainably hot goaltending over this latest stretch, they would likely be neck and neck with Buffalo for last in the league so i fail to see where this improvement is coming from.

Lets face it. MacT thus far isn't an upgrade on Tambo. Making a bunch of moves with minimal results to show for it doesn't mean that he's doing a good job. In fact, the team has regressed under his watch.
It's nice that he's searching all avenues to attempt to improve the team, has identified the team weaknesses and that he has a bunch of "lines in the water", but results are what matter and the results haven't shown out yet.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
If it wasn't for the unsustainably hot goaltending over this latest stretch, they would likely be neck and neck with Buffalo for last in the league so i fail to see where this improvement is coming from.

Lets face it. MacT thus far isn't an upgrade on Tambo. Making a bunch of moves with minimal results to show for it doesn't mean that he's doing a good job. In fact, the team has regressed under his watch.
It's nice that he's searching all avenues to attempt to improve the team, has identified the team weaknesses and that he has a bunch of "lines in the water", but results are what matter and the results haven't shown out yet.
Have you read what I posted? I didn't say ALL SEASON. I said in 10 GAMES. I think all of us know the season is a write off, but his argument was the last 10 GAMES. So I am responding towards the last 10 GAMES. Plus you can't be all that serious when it comes to him be sub-par to Tambo. You even said he is realizing the weaknesses and is trying to improve it. Tambo did no such thing. He sat on his hands and just did lateral moves or moves that wouldn't help us. At least MacT MADE trades. Tambo was too scared to even touch his phone for crying out loud.

I understand the team hasn't improved in the standings, but you gotta give it time. Look what a simple Dubnyk for Hendricks trade did. It boosted the morale of the oilers. Imagine what a star talent like Thornton or Marleau (examples, not going to happen) or someone who knows about winning and can make a difference to our team. If the Oilers are struggling again by the 15 game mark of next season, change it up. But you can't wait too long into the season (like we did this season) to finally make a change.

Last edited by Paralyzer: 02-26-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old
02-26-2014, 09:27 AM
gqmixmaster

No matter what lowe or MacT say about their feelings on Eakins, they are no way obliging themselves to act in a way that is consistent with those feelings in the future.

We have seen it lots, I think that if the Oilers finish the season in a positive way that Eakins needs to be brought back next season 100% and given until the end of December for sure before making any changes. It would be nice to have coaching stability so long as it is showing progress.

If you can't improve from the bottom year over year with a better team on paper then there is an issue with the messenger.

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:28 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Have you read what I posted? I didn't say ALL SEASON. I said in 10 GAMES. I think all of us know the season is a write off, but his argument was the last 10 GAMES. So I am responding towards the last 10 GAMES. Plus you can't be all that serious when it comes to him be sub-par to Tambo. You even said he is realizing the weaknesses and is trying to improve it. Tambo did no such thing. He sat on his hands and just did lateral moves or moves that wouldn't help up. At least MacT MADE trades. Tambo was too scared to even touch his phone for crying out loud.

I understand the team hasn't improved in the standings, but you gotta give it time. Look what a simple Dubnyk for Hendricks trade did. It boosted the morale of the oilers. Imagine what a star talent like Thornton or Marleau (examples, not going to happen) or someone who knows about winning and can make a difference to our team. If the Oilers are struggling again by the 15 game mark of next season, change it up. But you can't wait too long into the season (like we did this season) to finally make a change.
I acknowledged the last 10 games which i feel are a fluke due to unsustainably hot goaltending. They are getting outchanced by a healthy margin every game even in the wins so i personally don't see the improvement outside of Scrivens and Bryz playing out of their skin.

I'll give credit to MacT for identifying the weaknesses and making some solid deals but he has also made some bad moves to offset the good ones which sunk this season.
Also, identifying weaknesses and actually addressing them are two completely different things. Actions speak louder than words.
MacT can go on and on about what ails the team but until he fixes what ails the team, they will continue to flop.
I understand that he's less than a year into the job, but i can only really grade him on the results thus far, not what might happen down the road.

The Perron, Gordon, Scrivens and Hendricks moves are a start, but they need much more and more impactful moves. He also needs to get Scrivens re-signed before i consider that a good move otherwise, it was moving a pick for nothing.
He's talking a good game, but i'm at the point where i'm sick of hearing talk and want to see results. The results this season haven't inspired a lot of confidence.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
I acknowledged the last 10 games which i feel are a fluke due to unsustainably hot goaltending. They are getting outchanced by a healthy margin every game even in the wins so i personally don't see the improvement outside of Scrivens and Bryz playing out of their skin.

I'll give credit to MacT for identifying the weaknesses and making some solid deals but he has also made some bad moves to offset the good ones which sunk this season.
Also, identifying weaknesses and actually addressing them are two completely different things. Actions speak louder than words.
MacT can go on and on about what ails the team but until he fixes what ails the team, they will continue to flop.
I understand that he's less than a year into the job, but i can only really grade him on the results thus far, not what might happen down the road.

The Perron, Gordon, Scrivens and Hendricks moves are a start, but they need much more and more impactful moves. He also needs to get Scrivens re-signed before i consider that a good move otherwise, it was moving a pick for nothing.
He's talking a good game, but i'm at the point where i'm sick of hearing talk and want to see results. The results this season haven't inspired a lot of confidence.
See, that I can understand 100%. But I am the kind of person who waits and sees if they do something. I'll tell you now, If I don't see any trades done by MacT from now until Free Agency and he just sits there and says garbage like "I tried but no one is listening" crap, then yes, he has to go. I would like to wait until I see what MacT is doing before jumping on him. Eakins is the same story. If I don't see a MASSIVE improvement by end of this season/beginning of next season, I'd be inclined to fire Eakins and if no other coach with NHL experience is available, put Kruger back in the spot. He seemed to be doing very well before leaving.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:59 AM
russ99

We'll see if there's any change in Eakins after the break. I'd assume he and MacT did a good deal of talking about what's working and what isn't.

I'd be OK giving him another year with new assistants to see if he can develop into a more controlled coach with some advice from quality coaches, and preferably one who was an NHL head coach before.

For good or bad, he's MacT's guy, and with MacT's comments they'll probably both be shown the door if things get worse, plus maybe if Lowe ever gets fired, the new guy will want his own people in.

russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:03 AM
oilersfan11

I agree that we've not improved.We're winning more now just because of the tandem of Bryzgalov and Scrivens.

This team would be 30th in the league without the tandem of Bryzgalov and the ''God of the NHL'' Scrivens.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:10 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Have you read what I posted? I didn't say ALL SEASON. I said in 10 GAMES. I think all of us know the season is a write off, but his argument was the last 10 GAMES. So I am responding towards the last 10 GAMES. Plus you can't be all that serious when it comes to him be sub-par to Tambo. You even said he is realizing the weaknesses and is trying to improve it. Tambo did no such thing. He sat on his hands and just did lateral moves or moves that wouldn't help us. At least MacT MADE trades. Tambo was too scared to even touch his phone for crying out loud.

At this point it's obvious that this team is going too.

There is just so many things wrong with the roster that it's a guarantee that this team is not going to turn it around for a long-time.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Asher

Quote:
See, that I can understand 100%. But I am the kind of person who waits and sees if they do something. I'll tell you now, If I don't see any trades done by MacT from now until Free Agency and he just sits there and says garbage like "I tried but no one is listening" crap, then yes, he has to go. I would like to wait until I see what MacT is doing before jumping on him. Eakins is the same story. If I don't see a MASSIVE improvement by end of this season/beginning of next season, I'd be inclined to fire Eakins and if no other coach with NHL experience is available, put Kruger back in the spot. He seemed to be doing very well before leaving.
MacT has been better than Tambo but that isn't saying much.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:48 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:

You can flip that around and say that without uncharacteristically horrible goaltending to start the year (Dubnyk was the worst he's ever been), we wouldn't have been that far in the hole in the first place.

ManofSteel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Dabomb

truthfully, as bad of a season that the Oilers have had, I have good confidence in MacT and have liked most of his moves since becoming GM.

Dabomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:53 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Looking at the last 10 Oilers games compared to their season averages:

Goals per game over last 10 games: 2.40
Season average goals per game: 2.52
They are worse recently.

Goals against per game over last 10 games: 2.10
Season average goals against per game: 3.28
Goaltending has been MUCH better recently.

Shots for per game over last 10 games: 26.5
Season average shots for per game: 27.1
They are worse recently.

Shots against per game over last 10 games: 36.1
Season average shots against per game: 32.4
They are worse recently.

PP% over last 10 games: 11.4%
Season average PP%: 16.9%
They are worse recently.

PP shots per power play opportunity over last 10 games: 1.17
Season average PP shots per power play opportunity: 1.37
They are worse recently.

PK% over last 10 games: 87.9%
Season average PK%: 81.3%
They are better recently (again this is in large part due to the much better goaltending as well).

PK shots against per penalty kill over last 10 games: 1.55
Season average PK shots against per penalty kill: 1.58
Essentially the same.

Basically if you look at the stats (and of course watch the games)... it's obvious that the MUCH better goaltending is the only area where this team is better.

Eakins, MacT or anyone else pointing to the "improved play" over the last 10 games should ONLY be referencing the MUCH better goaltending... anything else is a bias towards the reality of what has actually been going on.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 02-26-2014 at 10:59 AM.
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
No kidding, that jerk didn't make a single roster movement over the last couple week, so lazy.

Frankly his biggest insult is not consulting us in regards to roster and asset management, I mean it's so easy and we have it figured out, so he really just needs to differ at this point.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

Eakins, MacT or anyone else pointing to the "improved play" over the last 10 games should ONLY be referencing the MUCH better goaltending... anything else is a bias towards the reality of what has actually been going on.
I honestly think there are 3 distinct segments of the Oilers season. The start where they weren't playing THAT bad as a team but couldn't get a save for the life of them, that huge stretch in the middle where their confidence was completely shattered and they couldn't do anything right, and the most recent stretch after a couple of those trades.

I really do think that the crappy goaltending to start did more harm to this team than people realize. I think it shattered the fragile confidence of the team and it is only just now starting to come back. When every mistake winds up in your net (and sometimes not even mistakes) it can negatively impact a team this young and this used to losing. Who knows what happens if they get some saves early on and start out with some more wins.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
You can flip that around and say that without uncharacteristically horrible goaltending to start the year (Dubnyk was the worst he's ever been), we wouldn't have been that far in the hole in the first place.
But you see, it's MacT's fault for running with those goalies. The goalies that are doing well now were acquired by elves.

That said the team has been pretty terrible outside of the two goalies.

Moose Coleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
When they allow 59 shots on goal and still get the win that's not the sign of an improved team, like the op said their results over that period were propped up on unrealistic goaltending.

Oi'll say! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
When they allow 59 shots on goal and still get the win that's not the sign of an improved team, like the op said their results over that period were propped up on unrealistic goaltending.
I know that...But a win is a win. I could care less HOW they do it. As long as I see a WIN...

Old
02-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Looking at the last 10 Oilers games compared to their season averages:

Goals per game over last 10 games: 2.40
Season average goals per game: 2.52
They are worse recently.

Goals against per game over last 10 games: 2.10
Season average goals against per game: 3.28
Goaltending has been MUCH better recently.

Shots for per game over last 10 games: 26.5
Season average shots for per game: 27.1
They are worse recently.

Shots against per game over last 10 games: 36.1
Season average shots against per game: 32.4
They are worse recently.

PP% over last 10 games: 11.4%
Season average PP%: 16.9%
They are worse recently.

PP shots per power play opportunity over last 10 games: 1.17
Season average PP shots per power play opportunity: 1.37
They are worse recently.

PK% over last 10 games: 87.9%
Season average PK%: 81.3%
They are better recently (again this is in large part due to the much better goaltending as well).

PK shots against per penalty kill over last 10 games: 1.55
Season average PK shots against per penalty kill: 1.58
Essentially the same.

Basically if you look at the stats (and of course watch the games)... it's obvious that the MUCH better goaltending is the only area where this team is better.

What i gather from this is that if we had much better goaltending earlier in the season we wouldn't be in this predicament. However, that's stating the obvious.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Aerchon

If you look at what he did not including Eakins its fairly impressive.

Dub Barb turned out to be a disaster but really he had to play the cards he was dealt and did try to improve that area preseason.

He made up for those mistakes with Byrz and Scrivens... As long as he sign one, both, or someone better moving forward.

Perron for MP + draft = great

Hendricks for Dub = great

Signing Gordon = great

Signing Ferrence = great

Trading away Horcoff and not retaining salary = amazing

Scrivens for a 3rd = great

Smid for bag of pucks = weak but needed for cap space

Fewer contracts = good.

Hiring Eakins = Dangerously stupid. Was thinking potential superstar coach and ended up with a terrible rookie coach who doesn't belong in the NHL. Signing him long term (4 years) and firing Krueger before he even had a full season is terrible mismanagement. Pretty much ruined this hockey club with that one move.

I really hope Mac T doesn't let his pride get in the way of seeing things for what they are. Right now Eakins is a complete and total failure. If 20 games into next year he hasn't at least figured out how to make this team not embarrassing Mac T needs to cut him loose quick and not look back.

I suppose if we want to tank for McDavid he could be our guy but I think I speak for everyone when I say ^&*# McDavid if getting him means another embarrassing year.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Tw0Shoes

I don't know, from what I've seen they've done a better job the last 10 games in terms of letting the opposition have the outside shots and taking away the chances from the better scoring areas. Something they were having a lot of trouble with at the beginning of the year.

Tw0Shoes is online now   Reply With Quote