Northern Europe Norway, Denmark, Iceland

Danes in the NHL 2013-14

Old
02-12-2014, 01:40 PM
admire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Haha, well at least we can always find some way to blame the Norwegians.
Best winter olympic nation in medal production, while the this flat-land have 1 curling medal and it certainly doesn't look like they will be anywhere close to a medal this year.
They do have some advantages like mountains and snow.....and boredom

admire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by admire View Post
They do have some advantages like mountains and snow.....and boredom
But Holland is as flat and they just rack up speed skating medal after each other. So why don't we try it also. Actually Speed skating used to be big in Denmark from 1890-1914.
Apparently Denmark specialized in backwards skating and had multiple world records (some might even stand). Vilhelm Hastrup ran 500 meter in 59 seconds in 1912, only 15 seconds slower than the 500 meter forward world record (by a Norwegian off course).
So some pressure for exciting new olympic disciplines and Denmark could reclaim old glory.

Scan down this link and read everything from Karsten about KSF Danish hockey and speed skating history and even Bandy was played in Denmark from 1895 to 1924.

http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ockey-60-years

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Bagge

Quote:
But Holland is as flat and they just rack up speed skating medal after each other. So why don't we try it also. Actually Speed skating used to be big in Denmark from 1890-1914.
Apparently Denmark specialized in backwards skating and had multiple world records (some might even stand). Vilhelm Hastrup ran 500 meter in 59 seconds in 1912, only 15 seconds slower than the 500 meter forward world record (by a Norwegian off course).
So some pressure for exciting new olympic disciplines and Denmark could reclaim old glory.

Scan down this link and read everything from Karsten about KSF Danish hockey and speed skating history and even Bandy was played in Denmark from 1895 to 1924.

Thank you, this is the type of knowledge that will win you the all time Trivial Pursuit championship

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 12:59 AM
admire

Quote:

But that is only one discipline. I think we are developing okay. Could see us getting better on snow in the future. And as long as we qualify for 2018 in icehockey i dont care

Old
02-13-2014, 04:33 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

I remember hearing that the reason why these Dutch are great speedskaters, is because the canals used to freeze and they would skate on them to get around.

The mass in the canals is small enough to freeze at lower temps than for eks. Peblinge lake.

I don't think Denmark will ever be a winter olympics nation, but I find it weird that we are sooooo bad at winter sports when flat countries around us have more success. Even countries that are warm.

Goes to show how much we could use some mountains here in Denmark.

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 07:15 PM
admire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
I remember hearing that the reason why these Dutch are great speedskaters, is because the canals used to freeze and they would skate on them to get around.

The mass in the canals is small enough to freeze at lower temps than for eks. Peblinge lake.

I don't think Denmark will ever be a winter olympics nation, but I find it weird that we are sooooo bad at winter sports when flat countries around us have more success. Even countries that are warm.

Goes to show how much we could use some mountains here in Denmark.
The primary reason is the same reason that we are so successful at handball and badminton. We have a ******** of indoor areas. At least one in every single town with a population of 1000+. I grew up in a town of 4500 and we had small gymnastik sale at each of the schools and two rather big arenas that were connected with tons of dressing rooms and the like. Ski sports are far down the list.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:21 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by admire View Post
The primary reason is the same reason that we are so successful at handball and badminton. We have a ******** of indoor areas. At least one in every single town with a population of 1000+. I grew up in a town of 4500 and we had small gymnastik sale at each of the schools and two rather big arenas that were connected with tons of dressing rooms and the like. Ski sports are far down the list.
That's true, there are at least 8 school indoor arenas here where I live + 2 bigger indoor arenas besides the icehockey arena. That makes 10 in a town of just 35.000.

Old
02-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Bank

2014 seems to be a better year for Nicklas Jensen. He scored a lucky goal tonight, and well helped by a hattrick last weekend he has now put up 11 goals since new years. That's actually not bad. One could hope he ends the year strong and turn up at the WC(Pending an early Vancouver exit) motivated, in form and with confidence.

Bank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 01:38 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
2014 seems to be a better year for Nicklas Jensen. He scored a lucky goal tonight, and well helped by a hattrick last weekend he has now put up 11 goals since new years. That's actually not bad. One could hope he ends the year strong and turn up at the WC(Pending an early Vancouver exit) motivated, in form and with confidence.
Jensen has really been on fire since new years. Seems like he had lost all confidence, and when you lose confidence nothing seems to go your way. Now he has confidence back, and goals like the one today goes in. If he continues to play good this year, he should be a WC player. I think Vancouver will miss the playoffs, and Utica will miss the playoffs. As a Dane, I would like to see Dallas take the 8th place.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 06:14 PM
tokr

vCash: 50
Blackhawks have high hopes for Regin at center

tokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:21 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokr View Post
The Blackhawks will be disappointed.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:40 AM
andersej

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
The Blackhawks will be disappointed.
Most likely, yes. But I and my fellow Danes populating this forum have seen Regin at his best, and will know that he has a top level not far behind that of a Frans Nielsen. Still, it doesn't appear that he will reach that level in the NHL. In part due to the injuries he has sustained and in part because he doesn't cope with the physical nature of the NHL nearly as well as Nielsen.

Still, for a 4th rounder, I think he is worth the gamble.

andersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Justinov

Since it seems that Chicago really want to give him a 2C chance and might play with Patrick Kane next match against Rangers, then it's really like an orange falling into the turban for Regin!
His chance for finally turning his career back on track would never be greater! Seems he will be giving reins to concentrate on offense!

Last edited by Justinov: 03-01-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old
02-28-2014, 05:15 AM
Justinov

GW goal from Jannik Hansen for Vancouver and also a goal from Peter Regin last night though Chicago ended up losing 2-1.
Good to see that these two that has been struggling with production so far this season gets a great start after the olympic break.

Both Mikkel Bødker and Lars Eller were without points, and both missed their shootout attempts.

Old
02-28-2014, 06:13 AM
Remi

Feel a bit sorry for Eller at this moment. Alot of flame on HFBoards Habs section around his performance, which has not been good enough.

But I also think it is a display on Therrien as a coach. Eller gets horrible teammates to play with, and not like Gallagher and Galchenyuk in the first 20 games.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1612479

Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 05:40 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

I don't know. Im not that high on Eller tbh. He seems very one dimensional at times, and it looks like he lacks hockey sense.

But, I also feel he is mistreated by Therrien, so it could be that he just doesn't want to play for that moron for lack of better words.

And don't take too much notice to the Habs board. 3 months ago, they were raving him.

I think Eller is somewhere in between, He will never be an elite 2nd line C, but he is much better than what he is showing in Montreal.

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 03-01-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old
03-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I don't know. Im not that high on Eller tbh. He seems very one dimensional at times, and it looks like he lacks hockey sense.

But, I also feel he is mistreated by Therrien, so it could be that he just doesn't want to play for that moron for lack of better words.

And don't take too much notice to the Habs board. 3 months ago, they were raving him.

I think Eller is somewhere in between, He will never be an elite 2nd line C, but he is much better than what he is showing in Montreal.
It seems that either Eller will be a good defensive 3C guy for the rest of his career, or that with two excellent wingers he can produce as a 2C. So he needs some kind of luck again to have a coach that puts him there as the start of this season (and the luck Peter Regin currently has in Chicago).

Apparently he is not capable of producing (anything) with less good wingers around him.
Whether it is hockey sense or his is still meandering back and forth in his confidence level remains to be seen.
But even when not producing he is still useful defensively.

Old
03-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Bank

Quote:

IMO the times I've seen him that's been the least of his problems.

EDIT: Unless the missing dimension is the offensive one.

Old
03-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Justinov

Actually the sunshine on Regin lasted a very short time.
In yesterdays match Chicago - Pittsburgh (5-1) he wasn't even on the roster.

Eller didn't produced anything (again) and was -1, but they won over Toronto so it can't be all bad.

Old
03-03-2014, 04:33 AM
Bank

Quote:
Actually the sunshine on Regin lasted a very short time.
In yesterdays match Chicago - Pittsburgh (5-1) he wasn't even on the roster.

Eller didn't produced anything (again) and was -1, but they won over Toronto so it can't be all bad.
Didn't he also get shifted around the lines in the game he scored in?

But hey, they traded Brandon Pirri, so there's one less to compete with.

EDIT: Also... I had a thought this morning. Looking at this with purely with the Danish eyes: Where would you want Ehlers to get drafted? As high as possible? Or is there some clubs you'd like him to avoid?

Going with a pick in the 5-10 department that leaves almost 2/3 of the league within 10 points of that territory.

There's the teams that seems to be permanently rebuilding(Florida, Islanders, Edmonton)
There's the teams where he'd have to fit into a defensive system(Phoenix, Nashville)
There's the teams just entering their rebuild and there for lack identity(Buffalo, Calgary)
There's the teams that seems trapped going nowhere fast(Carolina, New Jersey, Ottawa)
There's the teams on the rise(Columbus, Dallas, Toronto, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia)
There's the teams facing a "retool"(Vancouver, Winnipeg, Washington, Detroit, New Rangers)

You'd want him to end up on a team that's easy to fit into(Read: Not to bad), yet one where the path is not to hard(Read: Not to good). You'd want it to be a team where he'll be surrounded with players to that can help covers his weaker areas(Size(Not to be confused with playing psychical), two-way game etc.), yet you'd want him to fit with the team identity.

So... I'm looking at:

Florida(Top 5) - Seems to have patience(Kulikov, Gudbranson, Bjugstad, Trochek etc.) and be able to help transition to the NHL(Barkov, Huberdeau). Young team. Hasn't gotten elite talent out of their boatloads of talent. But seems like place where Ehlers might get a good entrance to the NHL. Success in the league on the other hand...

Columbus(7-20) - Seems to be on the way forward. Could do with another Dane in the system Seems to have a great future ahead build on a good mix of North Americans(Murray, Jenner, Johanson) and European(Wenneberg, Dano, Dansk, Bjorkstrand) talent. Great GM. And they are not afraid of having to take time to fix some bumps in a young players game.

Dallas(7-20) - His favorite team. Due to Mike Modano(He might not want to talk to much with him though). A team that has earlier mishandled 1st round picks and gotten most of the developed talent from later rounds. Now former Detroit ass. GM Jim Nills is in charge and his first draft got them Valeri Nichuskin who's gone right into the team and made a perfect transition.
Dallas' has an game plan that dictates speed, speed, speed. Ehlers fits in well there. He also needs to find a good two-way center he can play with. Cody Eakin's your guy. He has a top notch consistency in both ends of the rink, he's had NO talent what so ever to work with but with Ehlers he might grow into the 2C Dallas needs. He would be fighting Alex Chiasson and Brett Ritchie(And perhaps Val Nichuskin) on the RW but offers something they don't in his tremendous speed. He actually could force Dallas to trade one of the others. He just fits their identity better. His time table for arrival in the NHL fits Dallas' plans well to. They're looking at competing within 2-3 years. Ehlers - I suspect - could need a year more in junior and than a year of transition. But puts his ETA right when Dallas would be looking for him to contribute.

Also keen on:

Detroit(10-20) - They have heavy experience taking their time and getting good results out of Scandinavians(Swedes).
Vancouver - They need to have someone after the Sedin. Time frame wise a retool could play right into Ehlers hands. Third Dane in the club might also help the settling.
Phoenix(7-20) - Max Domi sound like a player Ehlers could do well with. Same speed, offense. There's the Tippett system demanding hard defensive work but Bødker got into it - and he can perhaps help Ehlers crack the code quicker than he did himself.

Meh on:

Islanders(Top 5) - Continue to be in rebuild mode. I'm concerned of a culture of losing. But hey: Tavares, Strome and a Danish mentor in Frans Nielsen. Some nice ingredients. Kinda the same as Florida.
Calgary(Top 5) - Starting over after Iginla. Stars with Monahan and that Swiss guy I won't try and spell. Could be a nice place to go.

Not really pumped for:

Winnipeg(7-20) - Seems to go for size. Ehlers plays above his height so it might be a good fit but I'm not counting on it. And then there's Carl Klingberg stranded in their system.
Nashville(5-10) - Looking at Colin Wilson doesn't really make me excited for Nashville and offensive production. There's Hornqvist I know but their system is like Phoenix x 5. Do. Not. Want.
Carolina(5-10) - Looks to be going nowhere in a hurry. The Staal brothers and Faulk will keep them from high picks most years but there's a severe lack of talent all around them. Elias Lindholm is a two-way center - I know - but his transition hasn't been silky smooth.

Last edited by Bank: 03-03-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old
03-03-2014, 06:28 AM
tokr

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
Didn't he also get shifted around the lines in the game he scored in?
Yeah, Regin played ~ half the game on the 2nd line with Kane and Versteeg, without much happening. Then he had a very good shift on the 3rd line.
But all in all he had an ok game, didn't make any big mistakes (unlike Toews). And the goal was nice too.

tokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Bank

With his goal last night(Scored 17 seconds in to the game) Nicklas Jensen is now 2nd in goals on his team and moving fast towards top 50 in the league.

2014: 14 goals in 27 games. Now he needs to add some assists and that'll be some nice numbers.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Bank

Philip Larsen waived... Lets see if there's any takers

Old
03-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Justinov

It would like Ehlers to go on a team that is used to Scandinavians. So Detroit and Vancouver sounds good. Off course if Dallas is his own favourite team, then offcourse it should give him extra motivation.
Phoenix and Columbus sounds solid and Columbus have already drafted Oliver Bjørkstrand.

I would be a bit skeptical to Florida, that probably also belong in the always rebuilding phase.

Philip Larsen waived - he really needs a team that want's to pair him with a heavy guy and using him offensively. Sounding like a broken record I think he would be great in KHL with his skillset

Otherwise Frans Nielsen was back with 1A and Jannik Hansen also got 1A. Frederik Andersen added another win and saved 49 out of 52 shots, so that is pretty good. Mikkel Bødker was without points and -2 so not a good day for his line.

NB: Good to see that Nicklas Jensen finally has rediscovered his own talent in scoring.
General trend is one great and one awful half of the season.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Bank

Quote:
It would like Ehlers to go on a team that is used to Scandinavians. So Detroit and Vancouver sounds good. Off course if Dallas is his own favourite team, then offcourse it should give him extra motivation.
Phoenix and Columbus sounds solid and Columbus have already drafted Oliver Bjørkstrand.

I would be a bit skeptical to Florida, that probably also belong in the always rebuilding phase.

Philip Larsen waived - he really needs a team that want's to pair him with a heavy guy and using him offensively. Sounding like a broken record I think he would be great in KHL with his skillset

Otherwise Frans Nielsen was back with 1A and Jannik Hansen also got 1A. Frederik Andersen added another win and saved 49 out of 52 shots, so that is pretty good. Mikkel Bødker was without points and -2 so not a good day for his line.

NB: Good to see that Nicklas Jensen finally has rediscovered his own talent in scoring.
General trend is one great and one awful half of the season.
I told you Philip Larsen would be racing Peter Regin back to Europe But the fact that he's been waived doesn't really constitute anything new in terms of his placement on the depth chart. The funny thing is - it would actually be nice if he really stunk it out in the AHL. Oklahoma is a bubble playoff team - right now just on the outside looking in. So if he could pick up some confidence while NOT getting his team into the playoffs... that's be great for the WC-team