HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills driving Bruins tix increase?

Old
02-26-2014, 11:08 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinfan5470 View Post
You must add Thomas Benson he owns the New Orleans Saints-NFL and the Pelicans of the NBA.
Oh right, forgot that he bought the Hornets/Pelicans.

The question is: Why would Jeremy Jacobs want to own the Buffalo Bills? For concessions? Not exactly a marquee franchise.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:11 AM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post
Oh right, forgot that he bought the Hornets/Pelicans.

The question is: Why would Jeremy Jacobs want to own the Buffalo Bills? For concessions? Not exactly a marquee franchise.
Buffalo people are fiercely loyal to their city for some reason...

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:23 AM
TCL40

I am not demanding free tickets or even $40 tickets. I understand why tickets are high now.

That doesn't mean I don't think it is sad that a lot of people like me just can't afford to go anymore.

My live hockey ticket money goes to the monarchs and I catch Bruins games in TV.

Up until this year we also would take a trip down and attend a practice which thankfully is still free and open to the public. Haven't had a chance this year to go to a practice.

Success in the Boston market generally means prices go up and the guy who works pay check to paycheck likely won't be taking his family to a Bruins game.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Just got my pricing for next season- each ticket is up 25% from this year. Take in mind that takes into account that this season I was locked in for last season's rate still. My wallet still doesn't like it but it's much better than going per game where the tickets are 2x what I'll be paying.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Is this for real?

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
C77

I can happily say...that as far as I know "Mr." Jacobs doesn't receive a cent from me.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:06 PM
beaverjc

Not only did prices go up but they stuck us with another preseason game that we have to pay full price for. Ouch. Thanks loyal fans!

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Not only did prices go up but they stuck us with another preseason game that we have to pay full price for. Ouch. Thanks loyal fans!
Hey, supply and demand

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:50 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
Buffalo people are fiercely loyal to their city for some reason...
Bars stay open until 4 there Buffalo is good stuff!

Personally Im more outraged at the extra preseason game (which I have been dreading and known was coming for years) than the price increases.

I think if Jeremy wants to own an NFL team he'd have to sell us to Charlie.

Im not sure the NFL doesn't move Buffalo when Wilson dies to LA, London, or Toronto. I can see the Bills being stolen from them. Shame thats a fun place to go to games.

I met an NFL exec back in the fall (the guy Harbaugh reamed on TV in the super bowl after the light failure) he told me London and LA will get teams within the next 5 years. Jacksonville, St Louis, and Buffalo are the only teams who can move. Zero chance they'd ever expand past 32 teams.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:31 PM
C77

Old
02-26-2014, 03:35 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
The most pathetic thing ever.

Reminds me of Colin Cowherd during the last lockout

Paraphrasing "NHL fans are easily the most loyal and most screwed over of any sport"

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
The most pathetic thing ever.

Reminds me of Colin Cowherd during the last lockout

Paraphrasing "NHL fans are easily the most loyal and most screwed over of any sport"
Bend over, JJ will drive

Old
02-26-2014, 04:14 PM
NinthSpoke06

vCash: 50
If you guys are so ********, why do you continue to follow hockey and the Bruins?

Pick another team with an owner who appreciates their fans more if you hate ours.

Seriously, whats the point if you hate it so much?

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
To each his own.

He has put in a staff committed to competing . Has spent to the Cap since it's implementation.
I have no qualms as long as that's the case.

Anything in life is supply and demand. Anything. As a business man if he can earn more because he has a desirable product or service, more power to him.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthSpoke06 View Post
If you guys are so ********, why do you continue to follow hockey and the Bruins?

Pick another team with an owner who appreciates their fans more if you hate ours.

Holy moly...it's "you can love it or leave it" time.

Like Wally said, to each his own.

Old
02-26-2014, 04:30 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
To each his own.

He has put in a staff committed to competing . Has spent to the Cap since it's implementation.
I have no qualms as long as that's the case.

Anything in life is supply and demand. Anything. As a business man if he can earn more because he has a desirable product or service, more power to him.
Amen.

As much as I love the Bruins, and it's fans...if offered the opportunity, I certainly wouldn't own them out of charity and the good of my heart. As long as the team is elite, the staff is elite, and they are spending to the cap...I have no complaints

Old
02-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Tuukka Time

the nfl rule is that you can only own another pro team in a different city if said league does not have a team in your nfl city.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 06:08 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Hey, supply and demand
This is so simple: give up the tickets!

Or not. That's the basis for supply and demand. If you won't release them, the demand is met. If you do release them because you are not interested in paying the price, someone else will take them. If they don't, and enough tickets remain unsold, the price will have to go down. That's the market setting the price.

It doesn't get any more basic than that.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 06:36 PM
bb74

2 debates here.

One is about the "sport" and how it's unfortunate that the cost associated with seeing NHL calibre athletes live is prohibitive - thereby reducing the connection with the team / logo / culture of the game, and not allowing that tribal connection with the sport and logo to be established.

Two is about the "business" and how it's supply and demand and given the "sport" is just window-dressing for the "entertainment" side...which is just window-dressing for the "business" side, it's tough **** for you while the bubble continues to float and shine if you can't afford the tickets.

Different lenses...

bb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
the nfl rule is that you can only own another pro team in a different city if said league does not have a team in your nfl city.
Well that would rule Jacobs out then wouldn't it? Both cities have NFL and NHL teams.

Besides, the Bills are moving to Toronto!

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:00 PM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

I can't afford to go to games anymore either, but it's hard to complain about a rich guy taking advantage of a fanbase that is willing to pay money and the general rules of supply-demand.

Might as well complain about capitalism in America at this rate. That's really the issue.

If ticket prices are too high, people should band together and stop paying. It would look embarrassing, but in a league that takes in about 4 billion dollars a year in revenue and sells millions of tickets, there isn't sympathy for the little guy. That's just the way it goes. I've accepted it, for better or worse.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:03 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
This is so simple: give up the tickets!

Or not. That's the basis for supply and demand. If you won't release them, the demand is met. If you do release them because you are not interested in paying the price, someone else will take them. If they don't, and enough tickets remain unsold, the price will have to go down. That's the market setting the price.

It doesn't get any more basic than that.
Yup, these things like everything else in the consumer world are only worth what people are willing to pay.

Old
02-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthSpoke06 View Post

I was following this team before he bought it and I'll be a fan after he's been planted.

Suggesting i have to pick another team is silly, I root for the Bruins, not the owner to make more money off the fans he didn't give a crap about for 30 plus years.

Why is expressing a little disappointment in a decent size increase in ticket prices mean you're butt hurt, a hater and you need to pick a team???

Old
02-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Fossy21
Himalayan Goal King

So "only" 3 NFL team owners own another franchise in a different city? Why is that considered few? It's not a must that you own a franchise from another sport, and some, if not most, of those who do must own franchises in the same city (usually the city they grew up in or whatever)? 9.4% seems to not be a staggeringly low amount?

Fossy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:09 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Yeah I think this is about making as much money off the team as he can while he can. I so think he's figured out when it comes to hockey people will pay astronomical prices for tickets if the team is good. This is the downside of winning the cup and going to a cup final. I don't think it has anything to do with the Bills but more trying to take in as much money as he can as long as their are people who pay the prices.

I have never been able to afford season tickets but the last hockey game I could afford to attend was the year they won the cup. I just can't afford to take my kids to a game if the tickets are almost 100 per seat and not very good seats. I can take my family to a Monarch's game for the price of one Bruins ticket. I think the sad thing with the ticket increases is that a lot of hard core hockey fans can't afford to go.
For me it's cheaper to drive to Boston and get a hotel room (in Woburn) than it is to get tickets to the Bruins when they play here in Toronto against the leafs.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote