HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Losing confidence in MacT

Old
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
If you look at what he did not including Eakins its fairly impressive.

Dub Barb turned out to be a disaster but really he had to play the cards he was dealt and did try to improve that area preseason.

He made up for those mistakes with Byrz and Scrivens... As long as he sign one, both, or someone better moving forward.

Perron for MP + draft = great

Hendricks for Dub = great

Signing Gordon = great

Signing Ferrence = great

Trading away Horcoff and not retaining salary = amazing

Scrivens for a 3rd = great

Smid for bag of pucks = weak but needed for cap space

Fewer contracts = good.

Hiring Eakins = Dangerously stupid. Was thinking potential superstar coach and ended up with a terrible rookie coach who doesn't belong in the NHL. Signing him long term (4 years) and firing Krueger before he even had a full season is terrible mismanagement. Pretty much ruined this hockey club with that one move.

I really hope Mac T does let his pride get in the way of seeing things for what they are. Right now Eakins is a complete and total failure. If 20 games into next year he hasn't at least figured out how to make this team not embarrassing Mac T needs to cut him loose quick and not look back.

I suppose if we want to tank for McDavid he could be our guy but I think I speak for everyone when I say ^&*# McDavid if getting him means another embarrassing year.
I was gonna say how the hellis those trades **** then when I quote it, it says great LOL. Nice one to fool the folks

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:24 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
What i gather from this is that if we had much better goaltending earlier in the season we wouldn't be in this predicament. However, that's stating the obvious.
The goaltenders on the Oilers have a 94.2% save pct over the past 10 games. If they had put up those types of numbers all season the team would definitely be in a playoff race instead of in 29th... problem is those numbers are not sustainable. That's basically Hasek at his best type numbers.

Shows you how important solid goaltending can be though... it can almost completely cover for how many other flaws a team has... at least until the goalies burn out under that load and fall back to human levels.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
I was gonna say how the hellis those trades **** then when I quote it, it says great LOL. Nice one to fool the folks
lol. I had written something that I ment as one step up on great but apparently that word is not acceptable on these boards.

When you win a trade that overwhelmingly it's common to say you ****** them on that deal.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
DeathbyCheerios

I don't understand why people think it's so easy for a team to make trades to fill gaps really easily. Teams don't give up top 4 defensemen easily, or number 1 goal tenders. It just doesn't happen at a drop of a hat. The fact that MacT sees our flaws and can acknowledge them is great cause it shows that if a trade that helps pops up he knows what to do.

He has been the most active GM in the league and doing every trade he can that doesn't ruin the team. Yes some trades have been bad but he has been active and the majority have panned out. The Perron, Hendricks and Scrivens trades have made the team better easily and that's something that Tambo never did.

It's his first year as a GM, wait until trade deadline and free agency before you lose all faith

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
I don't understand why people think it's so easy for a team to make trades to fill gaps really easily. Teams don't give up top 4 defensemen easily, or number 1 goal tenders. It just doesn't happen at a drop of a hat. The fact that MacT sees our flaws and can acknowledge them is great cause it shows that if a trade that helps pops up he knows what to do.

He has been the most active GM in the league and doing every trade he can that doesn't ruin the team. Yes some trades have been bad but he has been active and the majority have panned out. The Perron, Hendricks and Scrivens trades have made the team better easily and that's something that Tambo never did.

It's his first year as a GM, wait until trade deadline and free agency before you lose all faith
Its not the trades the OP is worried about it's hiring and supporting Eakins.

Which I think is safe to say was a terrible move. Continuing to support Eakins is terrible as well but we all got to realize he doesn't have any choice in that. Right up to the day he gets fired Eakins will receive Mac T's support.

I really don't see Eakins lasting a full year next year. He has been proven inept at this level and short of a huge change over the summer is pretty much a goner.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
DousedInOil

MacT has been the most active GM in the entire league but he's still be crapped on? Okay then...

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:54 PM
vespa99

I am pretty happy with the moves he has made so far. If you expect a Gm to be able to make a bunch of trades and to fleece the other team every time you are dreaming. It is much harder to make deals to improve the team than most people realize. There are no teams out there that have the depth to trade away a top pairing Dman. And if they did they would want the moon. You want to move Rnh or Hall?
The crappy signings he has made cost nothing in the way of assets which made them a good gamble. (Grebs for example)
As for hiring our new coach I think the jury is still out. It takes some time to break players of bad habits and get them to commit to playing D when they have never had to do it before

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:18 PM
manningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Looking at the last 10 Oilers games compared to their season averages:

Goals per game over last 10 games: 2.40
Season average goals per game: 2.52
They are worse recently.

Goals against per game over last 10 games: 2.10
Season average goals against per game: 3.28
Goaltending has been MUCH better recently.

Shots for per game over last 10 games: 26.5
Season average shots for per game: 27.1
They are worse recently.

Shots against per game over last 10 games: 36.1
Season average shots against per game: 32.4
They are worse recently.

PP% over last 10 games: 11.4%
Season average PP%: 16.9%
They are worse recently.

PP shots per power play opportunity over last 10 games: 1.17
Season average PP shots per power play opportunity: 1.37
They are worse recently.

PK% over last 10 games: 87.9%
Season average PK%: 81.3%
They are better recently (again this is in large part due to the much better goaltending as well).

PK shots against per penalty kill over last 10 games: 1.55
Season average PK shots against per penalty kill: 1.58
Essentially the same.

Basically if you look at the stats (and of course watch the games)... it's obvious that the MUCH better goaltending is the only area where this team is better.

Eakins, MacT or anyone else pointing to the "improved play" over the last 10 games should ONLY be referencing the MUCH better goaltending... anything else is a bias towards the reality of what has actually been going on.
How has the defence looked over those games? Are they keeping teams to the outside and preventing good chances from the slot?

manningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I agree that we've not improved.We're winning more now just because of the tandem of Bryzgalov and Scrivens.

This team would be 30th in the league without the tandem of Bryzgalov and the ''God of the NHL'' Scrivens.
We'd probably be 20th without the tandem of Dooby and LOLbarbera

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:29 PM
oilphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Looking at the last 10 Oilers games compared to their season averages:

Goals per game over last 10 games: 2.40
Season average goals per game: 2.52
They are worse recently.

Goals against per game over last 10 games: 2.10
Season average goals against per game: 3.28
Goaltending has been MUCH better recently.

Shots for per game over last 10 games: 26.5
Season average shots for per game: 27.1
They are worse recently.

Shots against per game over last 10 games: 36.1
Season average shots against per game: 32.4
They are worse recently.

PP% over last 10 games: 11.4%
Season average PP%: 16.9%
They are worse recently.

PP shots per power play opportunity over last 10 games: 1.17
Season average PP shots per power play opportunity: 1.37
They are worse recently.

PK% over last 10 games: 87.9%
Season average PK%: 81.3%
They are better recently (again this is in large part due to the much better goaltending as well).

PK shots against per penalty kill over last 10 games: 1.55
Season average PK shots against per penalty kill: 1.58
Essentially the same.

Basically if you look at the stats (and of course watch the games)... it's obvious that the MUCH better goaltending is the only area where this team is better.

Eakins, MacT or anyone else pointing to the "improved play" over the last 10 games should ONLY be referencing the MUCH better goaltending... anything else is a bias towards the reality of what has actually been going on.
Exactly the point of my OP. But I was much lazier.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:34 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Exactly the point of my OP. But I was much lazier.
So you are suggesting we fire our general manager and head coach both 1 year into their contracts?

Not sure what your end goal is here.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:34 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
I don't know, from what I've seen they've done a better job the last 10 games in terms of letting the opposition have the outside shots and taking away the chances from the better scoring areas. Something they were having a lot of trouble with at the beginning of the year.
The only difference ive seen is that our goaltender has been stopping wrist shots from the blueline in the past 10 games. those shots had 50\50 chance of going in with Dubnyk in net.
The team is the same minus the Dubey stinkers.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:36 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by manningite View Post
How has the defence looked over those games? Are they keeping teams to the outside and preventing good chances from the slot?
no they are not.. D is still bad.. not sure if it is the system or the personelle.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
So you are suggesting we fire our general manager and head coach both 1 year into their contracts?

Not sure what your end goal is here.
When it's a situation like this I always Assume it's an attempt to get more say in day to day Organizational decisions.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
IV XIV XCI

We all agree that rookies need time to adjust.
The same is true for head coaches.

It's been 60 games.
Calm down.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
We all agree that rookies need time to adjust.
The same is true for head coaches.

It's been 60 games.
Calm down.
Then maybe they shouldn't have filled the 2 most important management positions with rookies. I get that everyone has to start somewhere, but is this really the team that should be loaded up with inexperience not only on the ice but in management as well?

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Its funny how people get extremely defensive about a sophomore Yakupov being called a "bust" after a 100 games but they're so quick to call a rookie GM/Coach a "bust" after 60 games.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:27 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Its funny how people get extremely defensive about a sophomore Yakupov being called a "bust" after a 100 games but they're so quick to call a rookie GM/Coach a "bust" after 60 games.
if you arent twisting the arguements to favor you while ignoring the rest you are doing it wrong

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Halibut

Quote:
MacT has been the most active GM in the entire league but he's still be crapped on? Okay then...
He's made one move that accomplished something, acquiring Perron. The rest were adequate at best. Shuffling deck chairs is really what he's been up to, make work stuff to look like he's doing things without actually accomplishing something.

It's his own fault if we expect more when he came in talking about making bold moves didnt achieve much and then had the results we've seen this season. Sure he's more active but what has he achieved that's any different than what Tambellini did? Bring in some d-men who are on the outs but might have potential, Cam Barker/Grebeshkov/Belov. A respected defensive minded center Belanger/Gordon. It hasnt looked much better and the results arent there. Changing the coach sure looks like a failure at this point.

I'm not calling for him to be fired at this point but I do think he has failed to improve this team in any meaningful way so far and he suggested that was something he planned on doing. Instead we took a step back. If we're in this same spot next season at this time I think it's going to be pretty hard to keep from burning the whole org to the ground and starting over. MacT, Klowe, Eakins, Bucky, SSmith, Howson, Acton, the whole lot of them will be out on their ***** if we're not at least competing for a playoff spot next year.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:54 PM
SephF
Visually Better

The Oilers "improvement" over the past 10 games is an illusion due to unsustainable goaltending.

This team is drastically worse then last year in almost every recordable category with a better roster / more mature players.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
The Oilers "improvement" over the past 10 games is an illusion due to unsustainable goaltending.

This team is drastically worse then last year in almost every recordable category with a better roster / more mature players.
Or better then average goaltending, as opposed to the below average goaltending they were seeing for the majority of the season. But I guess we can always hope it's what you're saying.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:04 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
We're so used to the Dubnyk/LaBarbera tandem letting in floaters from the point that better goaltending is considered unsustainable.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:18 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
And let's not forget, everyone in the entire world knows the Oilers weren't expected to be this craptastic, and so he has no real leverage to pull off a steal.

I think, other than the Eakins move, he's been pretty great.

And judging by comments Eakins made at the season ticket holder event, it sounds like there was a power struggle of a sort earlier in the season, players not buying in to what he was saying. He says that's changed now.

We'll see.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:37 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
So ****ing what?

Last I checked, points were awarded for wins, not how many deck chairs you manage to shuffle.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:47 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
So ****ing what?

Last I checked, points were awarded for wins, not how many deck chairs you manage to shuffle.
Yeah, Perron and Scrivens are nice chairs, aren't they.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote