HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scathing Avery article

Old
02-14-2007, 12:16 AM
dynamoovechkin

vCash: 500
Scathing Avery article

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/colum...bernstein.html

Wow. I knew he had a reputation, but this...

I still feel he can be a force for good and not evil.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Onion Boy

Problem there is that by all accounts Shanny was consulted by management before the deal and gave it his seal of approval.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Pizza

........I guess he doesn't like Avery.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:38 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Guy just sounds like a bitter ******* if you ask me.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:51 AM
swedishfish

as Avery said, dont believe in everything you read.

He has a reputation, but if the team plays as well as it has since acquiring him, who cares?

swedishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:53 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

an scathing article by a bitter Kings fan, oh no.

I'd love to know where he got his information about how hated he was in Detroit because Scotty Bowman said 'no' to trading Avery for Schneider (but was over-ruled), Avery wore #19 in LA in honor of Yzerman, and Shanahan probably could have squashed the deal.

and I love how he demeans Avery's skill, saying he a third liner who doesn't belong on the PP, yet he was 6th for forwards scoring on the team, almost double the production of the 7th.

and apparently Laperriere pursued Avery for two seasons for the french comments he made one and a half seasons ago.

and he respects Bruce Garrioch

in case you haven't picked up on it, I don't care what this ass-clown says

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:55 AM
dank

wow, how scathing is this?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont care if he fried puppies on a grill and ate them for dinner, hes been GREAT here, and i dont care what he did in LA or DET.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:17 AM
eco's bones

Well--this is one of those articles to seem to say more about the writer than the subject. I can't say that I don't have any concern about how Avery is going to fit in.
That Shanny likes him to me is a positive. A lot of the same may have been said before Barnaby came to town. The media tends to focus around Jagr anyway. Or Lundqvist at times. The culture of the team seems to be fairly stable. At this point in time Avery has been a welcome addition.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Balej20*

Wow, Avery must have kicked this guys dog or something.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:24 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Everyone knows that Avery is a nut. He's the T.O. of the NHL, and the guy who wrote the article is a bitter jerk.
The last line sums it up for me...

"If you're a Kings' fan, you should be saying two words right now: Good riddance. I know I am."

Just seems like a pissed off Kings fan. Half the people in LA were saying how great Avery was but now that he's traded they're all jumping off the bandwaggon. Fact of the matter is that he's a nut...but he has talent and anyone who thinks he doesn't is either just pissed off or in denial. Same thing will probably happen in NY once he gets traded, it's just human nature I suppose.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:39 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
He's the T.O. of the NHL
Oh my God! Bite your tongue! Owens is a genuine talent, and his numbers show that. If the Rangers are getting an Owens-caliber head case without the Owens-caliber talent, we're screwed. (I'd say we're screwed anyway if Avery really is another Terrel Owens.)

As for the article, time will tell. Eagles fans tended to poo-poo or offer up the "I-don't-care-about-his-attitude-as-long-as-he-produces" argument to Niners fans and beat writers. And then they learned that those fans and writers were correct. I'd offer that Dallas fans are beginning to learn the same.

We'll see but for the Rangers' sake I hope your comparison is off.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:11 AM
lotus

Sounds like a bitter kings fan to be honest. It seems like another all too common scenario of scapegoat. Im pretty sure their problems run alot deeper than Avery.

Besides he's been amazing here. So far. Pretty disciplined for the most part....or atleast getting away with alot. I'd like to think disciplined. 2 goals in 3 games + a few assists, some scrumminess(its a word I promise) and energy. Yes please can i have some more?

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:59 AM
DutchShamrock

There may be some truth here, we just don't have the know to refute it, but there is definitely some lies. The Shanny comment for one. The comments on his decision making and special teams for another. I thought he makes good decisions out there, better than alot of our guys which doesn't say much, but we are higher in the standings than the kings.

I still get a sense of Barnaby in this deal. A few bad runs with a couple of teams, the marginal roles lead to him upping the antics. He is dealt for a marginal player but once here he is looked at to be an important player. The leadership role and sense of importance coupled with the fresh start refocus his game.

Avery is 26, I'm 27. I am barely grown up but I feel lightyears ahead in maturity compared to say 3 years ago. Maybe he is a cancer and there is nothing that can help him. Maybe my image here is a pipedream. But maybe he does turn the corner and he grows up a little bit. The deal is done and he is a Ranger now so his past is irrelevant when we have to form an opinion. I'll let his tenure here (like Barnaby and Jagr) dictate my opinion.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:15 AM
bubba5

Its easy to piss people off when your team sucks like the kings do.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:26 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Oh my God! Bite your tongue! Owens is a genuine talent, and his numbers show that. If the Rangers are getting an Owens-caliber head case without the Owens-caliber talent, we're screwed. (I'd say we're screwed anyway if Avery really is another Terrel Owens.)

As for the article, time will tell. Eagles fans tended to poo-poo or offer up the "I-don't-care-about-his-attitude-as-long-as-he-produces" argument to Niners fans and beat writers. And then they learned that those fans and writers were correct. I'd offer that Dallas fans are beginning to learn the same.

Thing is - TO only gets away with it because he's talent-wise one of the best WRs in the universe. Avery would have to be about the level of Forsberg or greater to be that much of an ass and still be desired. He isn't and he isn't.

Avery is (was) a yappy, controversial spark plug. He has said all the right things since being here, including comments that he used to be more of an idiot and that he's more focused on fitting in and winning these days. Shanny (one of the best lockerroom guys in hockey over the last decade) wanted him here and he's been immensely successful with no negative repurcusions since coming here.

Maybe he's not the hockey equivalent of TO so much as the hockey equivalent of Paul O'Neill...?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Speedtrials

It does sound like this reporter has an axe to grind. I am sure a lot of what he says is true, but it also sounds like he is probably stretching things a bit, a few times in the article. While part of me is still worried about how Avery will due in the long-term future here, as of now he has been a great pickup by Sather.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:50 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

Alright well you know what I mean. Who else has been these contraversial on the ice and off in the last few years? That's where the comparison is coming from.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:16 AM
julitog

This guy has an axe to grind, what a jerk !

I have been a Kings fan for almost 30 years; most Kings fans will miss Avery. Avery has good speed, huge heart, back checks, draws a lot of penalties and has decent hands. He is no saint, and sometimes takes ill advised penalties. The Kings are rebuilding and my understanding is the Kings loved Cliche, I guess every time they went to see Bernier the Cliche kid impressed the scouts. My son is a mite travel player and celebrates a goal by doing "Avery pushups on the ice" when he heard Sean was traded he was not happy! I met Sean last year in Montreal and spoke to him for a few minutes he was so psyched up to play and seemed to enjoyed the Canadian crowd booing him, he also made a point of throwing warm up pucks to almost all the fans wearing Kings jerseys at the Bell Center during warmups.

Sean will be missed!!

Good Luck !!

julitog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Leprechaun

Pretty brutal article....

I think that time and experience have brought Avery a higher level of maturity than he posessed at the start of his tenure in LA. So far he's been nothing but a boon for the Rangers.

Only time will tell though.

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Too bad that Avery is exactly what the Rangers need. Its a different conference all together, a totally different team dynamic, thats why trades are made. Ward was let go, but they picked up Dupuis which IMO is an upgrade in that department.

But he doesnt live in New York im sure and he hasnt watched this team play every night for the last 7 years, so who is he to say what the Rangers need and dont need?

Sounds like a bitter man to me who is extremely bias and hasnt done enough homework on both sides of the story.

he uses phrases like "Avery (was) a cult figure of sorts", "Avery became part of a little mafia", "season ticket holders were enamored with Avery's antics", "the legion of Avery's loyalists" - sounds like someone likes him.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 02-14-2007 at 08:47 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
On Monday afternoon, Dean the Dream fooled a team, the New York Rangers, into taking Sean Avery off his hands and actually gave back a player off its NHL roster (RW Jason Ward) and a couple of mid-level prospects to boot (junior Marc Andre Cliché and European Jan Marek).
Thats my favorite line from the enitre thing. I guess an assist your first game, a goal your second, and drawing a penalty that leads to a goal to put your team up by one is the work of useless player this guy is a tool.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 09:32 AM
NYROrtsFan

WHere he loses credibility in my opinion is the mention of Shanahan when we've all read plenty regarding Shanny's approval and obvious like of Avery. I think that puts it into the bitterness category more than anything.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 09:34 AM
bleedrngrblue

Seems to me this guy has alot of sour grapes and an axe to grind! Time will tell if Avery is a cancer in the locker room and suffers from foot in mouth disease, but to trivialize his hockey ability and then in the same breath, state that he was part of a power triumverate in LA smacks of gossip and not journalism. This guy is putting personal feeling ahead of his journalistic integrity. All the early signs point to Avery being the opposite of this article.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
he uses phrases like "Avery (was) a cult figure of sorts", "Avery became part of a little mafia", "season ticket holders were enamored with Avery's antics", "the legion of Avery's loyalists" - sounds like someone likes him.
Seriously.

Dude sounds like a ****ing bitter ex boyfriend who is just trashing on his ex to marginalize her and make himself feel better about what transpired. This is some of the worst writing I ever ever read in the history of sports journalism.

Absolutely pathetic.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote