HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hemsky talks about his future

Old
02-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumps View Post
EDIT: If Hemsky was going to take 1.5 million, there isn't a team in the league who wouldn't snap him up in a heartbeat.
All the more reason to sign him for $1.5M

Quote:
Saying that Hendricks has a larger role on this team, and that Hemsky should make less than him is truly boneheaded.
The Oilers are harder to play against when Hendricks is on the ice. The level of intensity on the entire team goes down after Hemsky's wimp shifts, that's why the games when he was out of the lineup recently were entertaining.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Wow, this post is signature worthy.

Hemsky more valuable as a defensive player. Somebody call Dave Tippet, we have a defensive ringer here..

Hemsky has FINALLY figured out that after nearly a dozen years in the NHL that turning the puck over repeatedly is perhaps a poor idea. This is who you are calling a Possession player. A guy that any Oiler fan can recount with horror how much of Hemskys career has been spent turning the puck over. I can't even comprehend how you would view Hemsky as a more valuable defensive player than Gordon.
What can I say: if you haven't learned by now that the guy who loses the puck a lot at the other teams blueline because he has the puck so much is more valuable than a guy who never touches the rubber, there's probably no hope for you. (Talking in general here, not about Gordon specifically).

Honestly "how can you call that guy a possession player when he loses the puck so much" is one of the dumber things I've ever seen.

Quote:
Conversely Gordon is known for sounder play and always has been. Hendricks, for his part, has been performing quite well here. Not sure what your issue is with this player. At least Hendricks has cared enough to make a presence and impact here. Something Hemsky hasn't done a lot of for years.
Hendricks is a guy who has to care and bust his ass because he lacks the talent to stay in the league otherwise.

Quote:
What a lol post. Real NHL players capable of actually playing rugged hockey and honest hockey looking after both ends should be complaining about being saddled with a guy that only ever picks his spots and brings half an effort for 10 game stretches at a time.
This isn't a thread about Sam Gagner.

Quote:
Jebus, Hemsky has talent. WTF has he done with it the past half dozen seasons?

Oh, and that scrub Boyd Gordon actually has more goals than Hemsky, while being a roll and shutdown player and not being afforded top toi or PP time.

Hemsky has one roll on this team (if that) and doesn't perform it
A Gagner fanboy calling out Hemsky for being inconsistent. Lordy. What a tire fire of a post.

Also: it's "role."

Last edited by Moose Coleman: 02-26-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
What can I say: if you haven't learned by now that the guy who loses the puck a lot at the other teams blueline because he has the puck so much is more valuable than a guy who never touches the rubber, there's probably no hope for you. (Talking in general here, not about Gordon specifically).

Hendricks is a guy who has to care and bust his ass because he lacks the talent to stay in the league otherwise.

This isn't a thread about Sam Gagner.

In anycase I'll let the reader decide on the inanity of you calling Hemsky a better Defensive player than Gordon. Really nothing at all to even discuss given that's your deluded viewpoint. (did I use the right your there? )

A Gagner fanboy calling out Hemsky for being inconsistent. Lordy. What a tire fire of a post.

Also: it's "role."
Gagner has played like **** this year. ftr.

Wow, excuse me typing roll instead of role at 8am on a fanboard. Somebody call the presses, the grammar police have arrived.

You're a little snippity today..

ps I'll let the reader decide about your inanity in calling Hemsky a better Defensive player than Boyd Gordon. I don't even....

Last edited by Replacement: 02-26-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Fade View Post
Don't know why people argue with Oi'll Say anyway, I've seen past posts on here where he's actually admitted to not watching most Oiler games. All one has to do is look at his neverending defense of Gagner and you'll have your answer about how he never watches any of the players.
When the Oilers started off the season with their top 2 centers injured I knew better than to pay to watch the games but a lot of Oiler fans never figured that out.

I also knew that Gagner wouldn't be playing at 100% coming off that injury with a full face shield on. It's shocking that so many people couldn't predict that, and what's even more surprising is that they can't even see it in hindsight.

This reminds me of the first time the Oilers played in the playoffs during the Hemsky era (surprisingly they only made it 3 times in all those years with that awesome 2-way player) and all his fanboys were predicting his dominance lol. He finished last on the team in points (with zero) and had the worst +/- in the league after 1 round and I still couldn't convince people that he was not our best player in that series.

If you can't see, with the benefit of hindsight, that Gagner wasn't even close to 100% after coming off his injury then you might want to keep your opinions to yourself so as not to tip your hand.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
All the more reason to sign him for $1.5M

The Oilers are harder to play against when Hendricks is on the ice. The level of intensity on the entire team goes down after Hemsky's wimp shifts, that's why the games when he was out of the lineup recently were entertaining.
Yeah, hard to discount the club was playing better, and getting results with Hemsky out of the lineup.

Hendricks, like him or not, has definitely made an impact out there and has been hard to play against and bringing it in every game.

Hemsky has been pretty content to make his occasional contribution and be a bit player on a team that requires veteran help, assistance, feedback, and leadership.

A void more filled by Boyd, with Hendricks adding his motivational tricks..

Old
02-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Gagner has played like **** this year. ftr.
This year he's been drizzling baby ****, which is indeed a step down from his usual level of mediocrity.

Quote:
Wow, excuse me typing roll instead of role at 9am on a fanboard. Somebody call the presses, the grammar police have arrived.
It's one of my pet peeves like lose/loose.

Quote:
You're a little snippity today..
You might want to check the tone of your little series of posts there bud.

Quote:
ps I'll let the reader decide about your inanity in calling Hemsky a better Defensive player than Boyd Gordon. I don't even....
If you strip things of their context, anything can look silly. I was pretty clear in my parameters.

Since it needs to be said, I have nowt against Boyd Gordon, he's one of the better pick ups the Oilers have made. I'd also be a bit cautious if I were you of playing up his goal scoring touch this year as a contrast to Hemsky since Hemsky was in on half of Gordon's legitimate tallies this season (I'm not counting the fluke empty net SHG against Chicago and the other ENG).

Old
02-26-2014, 11:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

You might want to check the tone of your little series of posts there bud.

Nah, virtually every post you've made in this thread has been caustic, dismissive, and combative.

I just responded in kind.

ps the following is hilarious considering your rewrite misdirections;

Quote:
if you strip things of their context, anything can look silly. I was pretty clear in my parameters.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Nah, virtually every post you've made in this thread has been caustic, dismissive, and combative.

I just responded in kind.
Man, I wasn't even talking to you before you steamed in with your "what an lol post" and "call Dave Tippet" business, so you can **** right off with this.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Man, I wasn't even talking to you before you steamed in with your "what an lol post" and "call Dave Tippet" business, so you can **** right off with this.
You might want to take a look back at that.

Perhaps your Whargarbyl post?

That was prior to me even replying to any of your posts.

So what on Earth are you babbling about?

Maybe adjust your own tone considering you're the one telling me to **** off. lol

Self awareness and all..

Last edited by Replacement: 02-26-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old
02-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

nvmind

Last edited by Replacement: 02-26-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old
02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
You might want to take a look back at that.

Perhaps your Whargarbyl post?

That was prior to me even replying to your post.

So what on Earth are you babbling about?

Maybe adjust your own tone considering you're the one telling me to **** off. lol
The post I was responding to initially was essentially blaming the guy for doing the dirty work he seldom gets credited for doing and paying the price. I guess he could be a Gagner type and protect himself by not engaging and staying on the perimeter, but that would feed into the "soft" myth. But yeah, it's all Hemsky's fault Regher was a dirty p.o.s.

Wharrgarbl was being kind.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
The post I was responding to initially was essentially blaming the guy for doing the dirty work he seldom gets credited for doing and paying the price. I guess he could be a Gagner type and protect himself by not engaging and staying on the perimeter, but that would feed into the "soft" myth. But yeah, it's all Hemsky's fault Regher was a dirty p.o.s.

Wharrgarbl was being kind.
No, its being dismissive. Which I correctly labelled.

To wit before I even responded to you once in the thread these are your collective responses to posters in the thread and contained in successive posts.

"Good Lord"

"irrational hate"

"Whargarbyll"

All of these being your inferences about other posters.

I'm being patient in even responding after that.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-26-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old
02-26-2014, 01:42 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Just for info, no apparent reason. (Give-aways for the Oilers are real real scary bad though RNH is not too bad)

Hall plays with better players most of the time

Taylor Hall
Points per 60 minutes 3.20
Give-aways per 60 minutes 4.29, 3rd in the league
Takeaways per 60 minutes 2.91, 10th in the league

Ales Hemsky
Points per 60 minutes 1.73
Give-aways 2.53 per 60 minutes, 82nd in the league
Takeaways per 60 minutes 2.09, 109th in the league

from these stats (of course stupid to use selected stats) Hemsky should get a little over half of what Hall makes though would be way more productive on a line with Hall I would suspect.
Also Hall should be punished much like Yak was because of his very bad give-away stat. Though he is near the top in takeaways the difference in takeaways to Hemsky for example isn't huge but the give-aways are horrendous (Petry is up there as well as Schultz).

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:56 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Just for info, no apparent reason. (Give-aways for the Oilers are real real scary bad though RNH is not too bad)

Hall plays with better players most of the time

Taylor Hall
Points per 60 minutes 3.20
Give-aways per 60 minutes 4.29, 3rd in the league
Takeaways per 60 minutes 2.91, 10th in the league

Ales Hemsky
Points per 60 minutes 1.73
Give-aways 2.53 per 60 minutes, 82nd in the league
Takeaways per 60 minutes 2.09, 109th in the league

from these stats (of course stupid to use selected stats) Hemsky should get a little over half of what Hall makes though would be way more productive on a line with Hall I would suspect.
Also Hall should be punished much like Yak was because of his very bad give-away stat. Though he is near the top in takeaways the difference in takeaways to Hemsky for example isn't huge but the give-aways are horrendous (Petry is up there as well as Schultz).
i would wonder how many of those takeaways for hall are directly related to a giveaway from hall. as in i wonder how many of those he gets back after he loses it. It also tells me that one way or another being in the top 10 in both categories means he is driving the play every time he is on the ice.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:

Honestly "how can you call that guy a possession player when he loses the puck so much" is one of the dumber things I've ever seen.
Quoted for the truth.

Edit:
I see we are taking the Dubnyk tug of war v2.0 between Replacement and Moose to the Hemsky thread again haha
Keep on it boys, it's a good read.

Dare someone make a "Gagner needs to be resigned" thread?

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:50 PM
SoftDumps

vCash: 50
Quote:

But wait! Hemsky should make less than Hendricks! After all, he touches the puck! What an absolute no-no..

To the guys chatting up Hendricks: when you are paid to muck around and NOT ACTUALLY TOUCH THE PUCK, you don't make as much as players who are actually allowed to play with it. Pretty simple.

$1.5M for Hemsky...

SoftDumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Aerchon

I like Hemsky but with his play this year 5 mill atrocious.

1.5 way to low.

5 way too high.

I think he will sign somewhere next year for 3.5ish. Very hard to imagine him making 4 or higher the rest of his career. Even with the cap going up.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Qrispy

Gagner fans trashing Hemsky...

..oh the ironing.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

FWIW I never said 1.5M.

But what should Hemsky be worth here now? Legitimately?

Right now Ryan Smyth, at age 38, is somehow a better hockey player than Hemsky at prime of life 30.

Smyth makes appreciably less than the 3.5M figure bandied about and quite frankly the Oilers would be nuts to extend Hemsky for that much.

Some team might, not discounting that, but it shouldn't be this club. Hemsky doesn't represent anything close to that value here for what he's bringing and whatever role he's playing(I don't even know). This would perhaps be a project for the Hemsky fans. What is he actually bringing, what is he doing well, what benefit is he serving to the Oilers?

I saw more individual effort, creative rushes with the puck in a few games for Czechs than what Hemsky has brought much of the season here. With actions perhaps speaking louder than words. Wasn't surprised in the slightest either, and I called it, that Hemsky would play much better for the Czechs than Oilers.

Sure Hemsky has had different roles on the respective clubs but Hemsky is largely a break out score on the fly player. When he's on he doesn't always require great service. Most of his goal scoring tends to be individual rushes anyway. Hemsky had 3 goals in 4 games in Oly. He has 3 goals in his last 30GP here. lol

Its too bad.

Hemsky isn't even breaking out a sweat here. The moneys been good though.

Old
02-26-2014, 07:00 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Right now Ryan Smyth, at age 38, is somehow a better hockey player than Hemsky at prime of life 30.
Well that's just not true

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i would wonder how many of those takeaways for hall are directly related to a giveaway from hall. as in i wonder how many of those he gets back after he loses it. It also tells me that one way or another being in the top 10 in both categories means he is driving the play every time he is on the ice.
Exactly.

Hall is the one creating chances, rushing the puck, driving the production.

While Hall is giving the puck away he's flying at full speed, generating chances, production. Hemsky isn't really generating anything.

I keep repeating this too. Hemsky is 30. prime of life. Its been amazing the last 5yrs how content he is not to be the big kahuna on this club. For the last 5yrs instead of being the teams points leader he's been content to be an also ran. A guy that flirted with ppg while younger hasn't been anything close in years in what should be his best years.

Old
02-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Well that's just not true
Isn't it? How far from the truth would it be?

On what basis?

Smyth is still playing greasy, fighting for pucks, stimulating offense and making linemates better while getting 3rd and 4th line rotations and most games out there he's a warrior. In a handful of games this season he's looked like the best player on the club. Can you name ANY game this year where Hemsky has looked like the best player on the club?

Old
02-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrispy View Post
Gagner fans trashing Hemsky...

..oh the ironing.
LOL. The irony has been noted before.

The view from 10,000 feet looks like this:

1 camp believes that Hemsky's toe-drags make him an elite 1st line player despite being defensively inadequate & not caring about it for his first ten seasons
1 camp believes that Gagner, when healthy, is good enough to become a good 2nd line center here despite his defensive shortcomings because of the offense that he provides and the fact that he does care and should be able to get better.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
There are other "skills" aside from toe-drags. Hendricks is a tremendous asset and his style of play is conducive to winning whether or not you appreciate his particular skillset.

Quote:
Difference being that the people defending Gagner are saying that he is capable of becoming a good 2nd line center here and is worth substantially more than a 2nd round draft pick.

People are talking about Hemsky making $3.5 to $5M on the 3rd line, and saying that he is a better 3rd liner than Hendricks or Gordon. Utter ********.

When was the last year that Hemsky earned his pay, and if you really think about it how many extra millions has he made over the past 6 seasons or so? Gagner earned his pay last season and was injured by a freak "accident" or a deliberate stick infraction, not just from being a wimp. That stick would have put Shea Weber in the hospital.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:19 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Isn't it? How far from the truth would it be?

On what basis?

Smyth is still playing greasy, fighting for pucks, stimulating offense and making linemates better while getting 3rd and 4th line rotations and most games out there he's a warrior. In a handful of games this season he's looked like the best player on the club. Can you name ANY game this year where Hemsky has looked like the best player on the club?
Smyth has looked like the best player on the club? I've watched every game in its entirety this year but one. I must've fallen asleep or something.

Hemsky is drastically better at hockey than Smyth. I can't believe I'm even typing this out.

When we trade Smyth at the deadline for a 4th but trade Hemsky for a 2nd will you believe me?

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote