HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do we get better moving forward? No pun intended

Old
02-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
He is also coming off both shoulders being operated on and the team acquiring 3 new forwards in the offseason with him playing multiple positions. This year was always going to be a down year for Wilson. To expect him to come into the season with a limited training camp, rehabbing offseason, with new parts/pieces, on a team with pathetic goaltending, and Barry Trotz the headcoach, is too much to ask IMO. We saw Wilson hit a groove last year. He has shown the offensive ability this year. I still maintain that he will be a productive forward. The key is finding a linemate with some offensive ability that Trotz is willing to let play with Wilson, oh ... and powerplay time would help.

And by the goaltending/Trotz comments I am insinuating that the poor goaltending caused Trotz to shore up the defensive game even more then he has in the past.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. Just a lot of leeway being given. I'm not so sure he's going to wind up being much more than he has been, but I'd be thrilled to see the opposite.

Iron Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:30 PM
PFL615

If Wilson is going to get a pass for still not panning out due to linemates, coach, and injuries then every Predator who has not lived up to expectations should get the same

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
If Wilson is going to get a pass for still not panning out due to linemates, coach, and injuries then every Predator who has not lived up to expectations should get the same
While I agree with the sentiment there is just this nagging feeling that the minute we trade him this guy pops loose and here we sit once again listening to people moan and groan cause we let him go. Hell even if its 5 years down the road you would hear it.

For me there is just something about the guy that still seems to be there that hasn't come out. I'm not sentimental in any way shape or form so letting someone go doesn't bother me in the least. This one though just keeps bothering me.

Smith would give me the same feeling tbh.

I could understand going either way with him, it logically makes sense. Gut feeling doesn't always though.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
While I agree with the sentiment there is just this nagging feeling that the minute we trade him this guy pops loose and here we sit once again listening to people moan and groan cause we let him go. Hell even if its 5 years down the road you would hear it.

For me there is just something about the guy that still seems to be there that hasn't come out. I'm not sentimental in any way shape or form so letting someone go doesn't bother me in the least. This one though just keeps bothering me.

Smith would give me the same feeling tbh.

I could understand going either way with him, it logically makes sense. Gut feeling doesn't always though.
Yeah, remember the backlash from when Peverley started tearing it up in Atlanta? It'd be like that except multiplied by five. I think trading Wilson now would be a bad move, let's move some vets and see where he is next season. We're most likely not going to be contenders next year, so why don't we move him to center full-time next year and see what we have? If it doesn't work out we can let him go, but if it does we'll be glad we waited.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think Wilson can be a 20/30 guy somewhat consistently. I would be happy with that.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:59 PM
PFL615

I like Wilson don't get me wrong. With that said though he really hasn't shown a whole lot other than a couple of spurts of having great games. He has nothing to really show for the rest of the time. I think he is the biggest disappointment of the season. I think management put a lot of success riding on him and Smith. Smith showed up in just his 3rd year and again Wilson has not.

How long has Wilson been given a chance and how much longer is he going to disappoint?

Old
02-26-2014, 09:59 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
I like Wilson don't get me wrong. With that said though he really hasn't shown a whole lot other than a couple of spurts of having great games. He has nothing to really show for the rest of the time. I think he is the biggest disappointment of the season. I think management put a lot of success riding on him and Smith. Smith showed up in just his 3rd year and again Wilson has not.

How long has Wilson been given a chance and how much longer is he going to disappoint?
I don't really understand the nuances between being successful as center vs a winger. But Trotz's comments about Willy playing center recently have been overwhelmingly positive. Maybe Wilson has peaked as a winger, but has a higher ceiling at the center position. I haven't heard or read anything that would indicate management is ready to move on from Wilson. Maybe they believe he'll be a productive center. That was the position he was drafted to fill. He was pegged as Arnott's successor.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Playing center is nothing like playing wing. The center's positioning pretty much dictates the system.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:27 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Playing center is nothing like playing wing. The center's positioning pretty much dictates the system.
So since he hasn't played much at center, it's reasonable to assume he needs more time at the position to evaluate his potential?? Does Trotz's glowing praise give you hope for his growth as a center?

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 03:05 AM
Armourboy

I think he's looked better playing center than he has playing wing all season. Some of that may be health, but some guys are just comfortable playing certain positions. I really wonder if that hasn't been part of his problem, maybe his game just suits the center position far better than a winger.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 05:41 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
So since he hasn't played much at center, it's reasonable to assume he needs more time at the position to evaluate his potential?? Does Trotz's glowing praise give you hope for his growth as a center?
Some what. I don't have a lot o fun faith in Trotz developing any offensive center.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:29 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I don't really understand the nuances between being successful as center vs a winger. But Trotz's comments about Willy playing center recently have been overwhelmingly positive. Maybe Wilson has peaked as a winger, but has a higher ceiling at the center position. I haven't heard or read anything that would indicate management is ready to move on from Wilson. Maybe they believe he'll be a productive center. That was the position he was drafted to fill. He was pegged as Arnott's successor.
It's been rumored that Legwand is not the only one being shopped. I have heard Wilson as well as Ellis. Wilson is who the Gagner trade is centered around.
If putting Wilson at center is the possible magic move then why did it not happen years ago?

Old
02-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Drake744
#HeyHeyPekkaRinne

vCash: 325
Quote:
It's been rumored that Legwand is not the only one being shopped. I have heard Wilson as well as Ellis. Wilson is who the Gagner trade is centered around.
If putting Wilson at center is the possible magic move then why did it not happen years ago?
As far as last year is concerned, Trotz said it didn't happen then because of the lockout and shortened training camp and lack of preseason.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:43 AM
wentz22

Quote:
I'll be happy if we land Gagner, but not at the cost of Wilson. If the talks around LA were accurate it was Clifford and picks for Gagner at 50% retained. Wilson seems like alot more than that IMO.

Deep down I wish GMDP would pull out a surprise for Eberle but Wilson/Elis/Prospect/1st probably wouldnt be enough. We'd have to involve Weber or Josi or Jones. Which I'm also not a fan of.

Should be an interesting deadline day.

wentz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:41 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
As far as last year is concerned, Trotz said it didn't happen then because of the lockout and shortened training camp and lack of preseason.
He has been with the team since the 2009-2010. He had training camp and preseason this year and two years before the lockout season. Why after 56 games into this season does Trotz move Wilson to center??
I think they are drawing at straws with him.

Old
02-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
He has been with the team since the 2009-2010. He had training camp and preseason this year and two years before the lockout season. Why after 56 games into this season does Trotz move Wilson to center??
I think they are drawing at straws with him.
Because we had allot more center depth.. He was never going to replace fisher or legwald and trotz demands more from his centers. I think the plan was always let him develop on the wing and move him back to center i dont think its a new plan for him at all and think it shows trotz is starting to trust him on 2 sides of the ice.

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Persona5

We lack the number one center a team needs and there isn't anyone in the system that will be that player. We will have to get lucky in the draft in order to find one in either winning the lottery or finding the next diamond in the rough. Wilson is at best a number 2 center. Smith can play center but again would more than likely be a number 2. Forsberg is more than likely going to play wing and while he has potential I am not sold on him ever becoming a number one center.

Our best plan imo would be to suck like we have never sucked before next season and pray we can land Mcdavid. We would have our top line center then....

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 04:29 PM
GeauxPreds

There are quite a few centers available at this draft and one could easily fall to us if we draft between 6-9. Dal Colle/Draisaitl/Nylander are all realistic options to fall to us in that range depending on how highly valued the wingers are and all of them have 1st line potential with great offensive skill, though each of them has a different play style the preds would be happy to see any of them available when they come to pick I think. Though if management feels center isn't so much a need as opposed to scoring or BPA forward Nick Ritchie is also a likely target(big, a mean streak, good skating, quick release and a great shot in general, knows how to use his size). This draft may not have as many gamebreakers or surefire talent as 2013 or 2015 but it really looks like there's at least a lot of potential in it.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:39 AM
PFL615

You guys are forgetting about Spaling..lol

Old
02-28-2014, 08:27 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
We don't HAVE to have the elusive #1 center - of which there are maybe 15-20 anyway and multiple teams have 2 of them (Pits, SJ, Dal - if you buy Seguin's breakthru which is powered by an almost 20 S%, Col - if you believe in McKinnon) - what we have to have is a pair of top 3 scorer's. We could get by just fine with Wilson centering a stud scorer and Smith, for example, with another scorer on the 2nd line and FF coming along.

Personally, I firmly believe Barkov/McKinnon was our chance to get one - it'll be a while before we get another chance to pick up an arnott and we simply aren't going to suck enough to have a reasonable chance to draft one without some kinda' Datsyuk foresight/luck. But a scoring wing or 2 doesn't seem so far-fetched to me with the kids we got on the backend led by Webs and a healthy Rinne - even with our meager longterm talent up front that is gonna' look enticing to someone in a year or two.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
We don't HAVE to have the elusive #1 center - of which there are maybe 15-20 anyway and multiple teams have 2 of them (Pits, SJ, Dal - if you buy Seguin's breakthru which is powered by an almost 20 S%, Col - if you believe in McKinnon) - what we have to have is a pair of top 3 scorer's. We could get by just fine with Wilson centering a stud scorer and Smith, for example, with another scorer on the 2nd line and FF coming along.

Personally, I firmly believe Barkov/McKinnon was our chance to get one - it'll be a while before we get another chance to pick up an arnott and we simply aren't going to suck enough to have a reasonable chance to draft one without some kinda' Datsyuk foresight/luck. But a scoring wing or 2 doesn't seem so far-fetched to me with the kids we got on the backend led by Webs and a healthy Rinne - even with our meager longterm talent up front that is gonna' look enticing to someone in a year or two.
The teams that win cups have that top end number one center. Until the Leafs win a cup with Bosak centering Kessel I do not think that is the way to go about building a cup team. The main problem for the Predators is they have never been a really bad team. Last season was a start but of course we picked 4th and with the talent available we got stuck with Jones. I'm not saying jones isn't going to be really good if not great but the fact of the matter is we didn't need him. We needed one of those forwards to be there at 4 and it didn't happen. This year’s draft isn't all that great and I do not see a big difference between picking 3rd through 12. Next year’s draft there will be a huge difference and getting that number one spot would be huge for any organization. Mcdavid is going to be the best player to come out since Stamkos. If I were a GM I would load up on as many 2015 1st's I could get my hand on without blowing up my team and pray. Whoever gets Mcdavid will be a cup contender for years to come.

Old
02-28-2014, 09:40 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
The teams that win cups have that top end number one center. Until the Leafs win a cup with Bosak centering Kessel I do not think that is the way to go about building a cup team. The main problem for the Predators is they have never been a really bad team. Last season was a start but of course we picked 4th and with the talent available we got stuck with Jones. I'm not saying jones isn't going to be really good if not great but the fact of the matter is we didn't need him. We needed one of those forwards to be there at 4 and it didn't happen. This year’s draft isn't all that great and I do not see a big difference between picking 3rd through 12. Next year’s draft there will be a huge difference and getting that number one spot would be huge for any organization. Mcdavid is going to be the best player to come out since Stamkos. If I were a GM I would load up on as many 2015 1st's I could get my hand on without blowing up my team and pray. Whoever gets Mcdavid will be a cup contender for years to come.
I agree we need Mcdavid but it will take an answered prayer for us to get him.
With Wilson moving to Center I am also worried about our LW dept moving forward.
Stalberg
Beck
Moser
Spaling-LW/C
Bourque
Clune
Nystrom
Aberg
Nothing on this list excites me.
I like Moser and Beck has size. Aberg is coming over next year,I quess. But will any of these players become a top six?
Does anyone know if Salamaki,Vesey,or Leipsic actually play LW like the top of this page says?

Last edited by predshabs: 02-28-2014 at 09:47 AM.
predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
I agree we need Mcdavid but it will take an answered prayer for us to get him.
I am also worried about our LW dept moving forward.
Stalberg
Beck
Moser
Spaling-LW/C
Bourque
Clune
Nystrom
Aberg
Nothing on this list excites me.
I agree that none of those players you listed should be counted on for our future. You never know with Aberg but he is a long shot at best to be a top 6 NHL player. I can see Forsberg playing on the left side though. He is a right shot but I could see it working. You are right though that our LW depth is lacking while our RW depth is a bit cluttered.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Instead of trading Weber, what about trading Seth Jones for a young forward such as RNH?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 03:45 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Instead of trading Weber, what about trading Seth Jones for a young forward such as RNH?
Poile did back-flips when Jones fell to 4. Weber and Jones seem like the two most "untouchable"

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote