Carl "Yeti" Soderberg

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2014, 07:25 PM
s3antana5757

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmontMcSlewfoot View Post
Carl has been excellent. And considering Erikkson had a slow start here and has 2 concussions its really nice that he has a fellow elite Swede to play with.

The lack of Soderberg in the Olympics is sad and a black eye on Swedish hockey. Sweden goes huge every other Olympics so this was their one to contend or win and they screwed up not having one of the games best.

Carl is a Forsberg-lite. Him and Loui as our third line is a winner. I just want to get them a better linemate than Kelly.

Bergeron-Krejci-Soderberg is extremely deep and balanced up the middle. Even though he can play wing well I think I keep Carl at center its a good role for him its like having another Bergeron.
Soderberg's been a really nice surprise but Kelly is not the worst player ever. He's a good penalty killer and checker and good in the face-off dot.

Old
02-19-2014, 07:31 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
Soderberg's been a really nice surprise but Kelly is not the worst player ever. He's a good penalty killer and checker and good in the face-off dot.
Was a good player first year and a half here.

Sadly right now hes sort of like Paille but a cold Paille and Paille when Paille is snakebit and blowing breakaways.

Hed be fine on the fourth line but hes just sapped a lot of offense from our third line in his current role.

If you watched the Sweden game late last night you'd have seen how good Erikkson can be and the fact its sad our Swedes will be held back by Kelly. Think we need a guy like Hemsky there.

Old
02-19-2014, 07:45 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:

Sadly right now hes sort of like Paille but a cold Paille and Paille when Paille is snakebit and blowing breakaways.

Hed be fine on the fourth line but hes just sapped a lot of offense from our third line in his current role.

If you watched the Sweden game late last night you'd have seen how good Erikkson can be and the fact its sad our Swedes will be held back by Kelly. Think we need a guy like Hemsky there.
Playoffs are a different animal.I have more faith in Kelly playing reasonably well in the post season than I do Erikkson.I really don't know what to expect from Loui.

Old
02-19-2014, 07:49 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Carl has been excellent. And considering Erikkson had a slow start here and has 2 concussions its really nice that he has a fellow elite Swede to play with.

The lack of Soderberg in the Olympics is sad and a black eye on Swedish hockey. Sweden goes huge every other Olympics so this was their one to contend or win and they screwed up not having one of the games best.

Carl is a Forsberg-lite. Him and Loui as our third line is a winner. I just want to get them a better linemate than Kelly.

Bergeron-Krejci-Soderberg is extremely deep and balanced up the middle. Even though he can play wing well I think I keep Carl at center its a good role for him its like having another Bergeron.
If you throw the stat sheet out the window,you could make an argument that Soderberg has been one of the best Bruins all year.For long stretches this year,he has been put in situations that have almost made it impossible for him to contribute offensively.

Old
02-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Sea Bass Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
If you throw the stat sheet out the window,you could make an argument that Soderberg has been one of the best Bruins all year.For long stretches this year,he has been put in situations that have almost made it impossible for him to contribute offensively.
I think Yeti managed to transition to the NHL game without any major bumps on the road, playing half the season with a then-unknown Reilly Smith and not exactly offensively gifted Chris Kelly... Soderberg was the key that made that line click. In fact, i think Soderberg and Smith (just as we see on the 2nd PP unit) have great chemistry and were each lucky to start out playing on Kelly's line together.

The chemistry helped make the transition easier, and the return on investment more quickly evident. I would imagine Kelly contributed significantly with his experience and cool-headed leadership, even if he's not a great offensive force. But Soderberg/Smith seemed to have clicked right off the bat, both have great hockey IQs.

So many of Smith's goals have been assisted by Yeti... and not even just those back-door PP goals. Yeti's effectiveness was, IMO, a major factor in realizing exactly what we have in Reilly Smith. Not that we really know just yet, but we know that he is good enough to perhaps lead the team in scoring by season's end, it's anyone's guess at the moment.

I have said (and you can look at the very first post of this thread, i started it) that Soderberg -- in hindsight he has 30 pts on the year but only 9 goals -- from the very beginning that Soderberg deserves to be around more skilled line-mates. I'm glad he's playing with Loui, Smith is fitting Bergy's line better than Loui was (just styles, not a knock on Loui)... and i'd prefer to have Paille on 3rd line wing but Clode will insist on Kelly and that's OK it's not that big a difference and CK has his advantages so it's a wash i suppose.

It just turned out that Smith fit Bergy's RW and that line as a unit really found their stride once Reilly got his promotion, you don't go fixing thing that aren't broken. And right now Bergy's line is not broken. And besides, Soderberg and Loui (+Kelly or Paille) give us tremendous depth with a great 3rd line. I think Smith and Soderberg would still play well together even if Smitty didn't fit Bergy's line well. But what a revelation Smith playing with Bergy has been.

I watched the most recent episode of Behind the B the other night. At the very end of the Senators game, close to the end of the episode -- when the guys were telling each other not to let their foot off the gas, just before reaching "the Bruins high-water mark for the season (7 goals)" -- i recalled as it showed Soderberg bursting through the seam and sniping the high stick-side corner so effortlessly.

Looking at the clip of that final goal before the Olympic break... you'd be shocked that only 9 of Yeti's 30 pts are goals. He made it look so easy and it just looked natural. If only he could get the puck in the high slot like that more often... i'm not saying he's Ilya Kovalchuk but he's definitely got some nice torque on his shot.

As you said, he hasn't exactly been skating most of the season with guys who can help maximize his talents. If you look at the very first post #1 of this thread, this is exactly what i was openly wondering about. Since he's not moving to the top-6 (even though he could play there on a number of teams), at least we can see what the move to his natural position will bring.

I think it will be higher production, and he seems to really enjoy playing center... he's playing like he wants to stay there. Even if his goal-scoring clip doesn't spike, he'll get even more assists being able to handle the puck more. But i think he will be scoring more goals just like that one.

Methinks Yeti is going to have a monster season next year. With a year under his belt, more comfortable, and hopefully playing center from the get-go. Not sure what this would mean for Spooner, but it's nice having depth down the middle.

Old
02-20-2014, 06:27 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:

That's a load. Good players get it done and don't get "held back" by linemates. Loui will get it done, no doubt, with or without Kelly.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:33 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Donaghy View Post
That's a load. Good players get it done and don't get "held back" by linemates. Loui will get it done, no doubt, with or without Kelly.
I agree ,unless there is a dramatic difference in skill level.In Soderberg's case for many stretches this year,he did not have comparable linemates with him.

Old
02-20-2014, 09:28 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
I agree ,unless there is a dramatic difference in skill level.In Soderberg's case for many stretches this year,he did not have comparable linemates with him.
I don't think so. I think he was just getting used to the NA game, this system and his teammates. The linemates excuse usually holds little water. Remember how Nash was going to light it up in NY? Heatley in San Jose? Team freaking Canada with those stacked lines? And how Kessel was going to struggle when he didn't have Savard and then had Tyler freaking Bozak? Players will produce if they're good. Yes, there will be a minimum increase/decrease in points based on linemates but to say that Kelly is "holding back the Swedes" is such a load of crap.

Old
02-20-2014, 11:06 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Kelly's a black hole offensively. Hopefully the Bruins find someone who can contribute some grit and offense via trade so we can get Kelly away from Eriksson and Soderberg.

Old
02-21-2014, 09:53 AM
s3antana5757

Quote:

Paille brings a speed element that we really lack as a team. And we're talking about a 4th line guy here. There's nothing wrong with our 4th line.

In regards to Kelly, he was hurt for a large portion of the year and clearly wasn't back to full health before the break. I think he'll be back to himself, and playing C in the final stretch of the season. I think all 4 of our lines are excellent, and would prefer to not see anyone move. The only think I hope for at the deadline is a defenseman.

Old
02-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 50
I'd prefer to see Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson. I thought all three of them mixed really well. Paille and Eriksson are great defensively, Soderberg and Paille are physical/strong, Eriksson and Soderberg have 1st/2nd line offensive skillsets. Soderberg and Eriksson draw a lot of attention, Paille gets left alone and uses his speed to get chances. They looked so strong whenever they were on the ice together.

I don't buy that Kelly does or will "kill" Eriksson/Soderberg, they're both way too good to be killed by a defensive center. Sure, Kelly botches a lot of chances and isn't great or even good offensively, but he has a defensive role. I'd prefer to see Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't.

If we can get a Hemsky/Whitney/Boyes type player for cheap at the deadline, sure, that'd be great. X-Soderberg-Eriksson Paille-Kelly-Campbell is just a crazy bottom 6. But I think we can run with what we have.

Old
02-21-2014, 07:31 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I'd prefer to see Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson. I thought all three of them mixed really well. Paille and Eriksson are great defensively, Soderberg and Paille are physical/strong, Eriksson and Soderberg have 1st/2nd line offensive skillsets. Soderberg and Eriksson draw a lot of attention, Paille gets left alone and uses his speed to get chances. They looked so strong whenever they were on the ice together.

I don't buy that Kelly does or will "kill" Eriksson/Soderberg, they're both way too good to be killed by a defensive center. Sure, Kelly botches a lot of chances and isn't great or even good offensively, but he has a defensive role. I'd prefer to see Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't.

If we can get a Hemsky/Whitney/Boyes type player for cheap at the deadline, sure, that'd be great. X-Soderberg-Eriksson Paille-Kelly-Campbell is just a crazy bottom 6. But I think we can run with what we have.
Paille likely would excell playing with the two Swedes but as you suggest.we would need to acquire another body to strengthen the bottom 6,before moving him up.

Old
02-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Paille likely would excell playing with the two Swedes but as you suggest.we would need to acquire another body to strengthen the bottom 6,before moving him up.
Why is that?

Old
02-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Mainehockey33
HF Boards Founder

Florek looked good on the 4th

Old
02-21-2014, 09:02 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Why is that?
In my opinion Paille is the one who holds the 4th line together.I don't think a line of Kelly-Campbell-Thornton would be strong enough.It is only my opinion but I feel Paille is still the best two way player in the bottom 6,particularly when it comes to the playoffs.

Old
02-22-2014, 06:55 AM
OnTheFly12

Quote:
In my opinion Paille is the one who holds the 4th line together.I don't think a line of Kelly-Campbell-Thornton would be strong enough.It is only my opinion but I feel Paille is still the best two way player in the bottom 6,particularly when it comes to the playoffs.
I agree Paille is key, that's why he needs to move to the 3rd. I hope they move Paille up and then get away from the "Roll 4 lines" mentality. It's fine for regular season but we need to get the best players/lines more ice time as we wind down the season and head into the Cup run. I would like to see if Paille can "stretch the ice" making more room for the skill of Yeti and Louie. I believe it would work well.

side note - Chris Kelly has had to come back from two broken legs. I think it's safe to say that has affected his conditioning and play during these last two seasons. He's a very good player and will be again I am sure.

Last edited by OnTheFly12: 02-22-2014 at 06:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
02-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
I get what you're saying and I 100% agree. Campbell has lost a step this year, probably due to his injury, and Thornton hasn't been the same since the Scott fight. Paille, though, has been better and better every year.

I think Kelly can be that lines Paille. Maybe even a better fit for both players.

Old
02-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Sea Bass Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I get what you're saying and I 100% agree. Campbell has lost a step this year, probably due to his injury, and Thornton hasn't been the same since the Scott fight. Paille, though, has been better and better every year.

I think Kelly can be that lines Paille. Maybe even a better fit for both players.
I agree. We hardly get any production -- not that we should be expecting it -- from our 4th line anyhow, they are a checking line. Kelly can play that role without being all that much of a downgrade from Paille.

Paille has great speed and can actually score, even if his hands aren't great. The way i see it, swapping Paille and Kelly does little to change the overall effectiveness of our 4th line... but makes the [Soderberg/Eriksson] 3rd line much more of an offensive threat without having to sacrifice any defense.

In the end, such a swap (Paille to 3rd, Kelly to 4th) would be a net gain for the Bruins. Paille can get open in spots and make better use of Soderberg's offensive prowess, while at the same time maximizing his own offensive prowess by playing with linemates that can make him more productive.

Whatever the case, Paille is the jewel on the 4th line. But for a line that isn't expected to score hardly at all, contrasted with a 3rd line that -- especially with Paille on Yeti's LW -- has the chance to be among the very best 3rd lines in the entire NHL... it just seems to make more sense letting Kelly center the 4th line.

This way, the 3rd line's potential is maximized, without reducing the effectiveness of what we expect of our 4th line. In fact Kelly might even prove to be a better fit for Merlot... who knows??

Paille at least deserves a longer look at 3rd LW... he looked great there the couple games Claude had 20-34-21 playing together. Time will tell.

Old
02-22-2014, 10:13 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bass Neely View Post
I agree. We hardly get any production -- not that we should be expecting it -- from our 4th line anyhow, they are a checking line. Kelly can play that role without being all that much of a downgrade from Paille.

Paille has great speed and can actually score, even if his hands aren't great. The way i see it, swapping Paille and Kelly does little to change the overall effectiveness of our 4th line... but makes the [Soderberg/Eriksson] 3rd line much more of an offensive threat without having to sacrifice any defense.

In the end, such a swap (Paille to 3rd, Kelly to 4th) would be a net gain for the Bruins. Paille can get open in spots and make better use of Soderberg's offensive prowess, while at the same time maximizing his own offensive prowess by playing with linemates that can make him more productive.

Whatever the case, Paille is the jewel on the 4th line. But for a line that isn't expected to score hardly at all, contrasted with a 3rd line that -- especially with Paille on Yeti's LW -- has the chance to be among the very best 3rd lines in the entire NHL... it just seems to make more sense letting Kelly center the 4th line.

This way, the 3rd line's potential is maximized, without reducing the effectiveness of what we expect of our 4th line. In fact Kelly might even prove to be a better fit for Merlot... who knows??

Paille at least deserves a longer look at 3rd LW... he looked great there the couple games Claude had 20-34-21 playing together. Time will tell.
I agree about Paille improving the 3rd line but am not entirely convinced Kelly can replace what Paille brings to the 4th line.Time will tell what eventually happens but a 4th line of Kelly-Campbell-Thornton getting significant minutes doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence but ,obviously,overall,the bottom 6 is significantly better than it was last year with the additions of Soderberg and Loui.

Old
02-27-2014, 12:01 AM
gillesgilbert

Soderberg again made some slick plays against Buffalo and he loves to throw his body around.He continues to impress.

Old
02-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Soderberg again made some slick plays against Buffalo and he loves to throw his body around.He continues to impress.
I like when Ott angrily lined him up w/ everything he had, then basically bounced off. I know Ott isn't the biggest dude out there, but when he wants to, he can lay a hit. Hardly moved him. Then tried to make up for it by adding an extra forearm. But Soda just ignored him as if to say, "ja, ja...you are like the buzzing flies, ja? I go get the puck, then I'm taking shower!".

Old
02-27-2014, 12:17 AM
RussellmaniaKW

love the dude, but I can see his dumb penalties costing us a playoff game or two. I really hope they can tighten up that aspect of his game.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:33 AM
Fossy21
Himalayan Goal King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bass Neely View Post
in hindsight he has 30 pts on the year but only 9 goals -- from the very beginning that Soderberg deserves to be around more skilled line-mates.
It's fun to read the thread with predictions for his season. No idea why my post is gone in that thread, but I'm sure I predicted something like 15 goals and 35 assists, and that's pretty much spot on what he's on pace for... though if he continues like he has since January, he'll exceed that by far.

Actually, come to think of it, I probably predicted 15 goals, 25 assists, or 12 goals, 28 assists. So, I guess I was way off.

Last edited by Fossy21: 02-27-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old
02-27-2014, 07:44 PM
MAINE-IAC

Carl can pass the puck man!!

Closed Thread