Notices

Coyotes @ Jets | Thu Feb 27 | 7PM | MTS Centre | "Well Hello, Playoff Line"

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Why not Slater?

I am a bit puzzled that Slater can't find his way into the Jets line-up now that he is reportedly healthy.

One of the Jets major weaknesses is on face-offs, and Slater is easily their best at this.

I would put him in the line-up over Wright. I'm pretty sure that he, Kane and others can easily mop up Wright's PK minutes, and Wright doesn't really do much else right now.

The Jets have had a few goals scored late in periods on direct face-off losses. You can't afford that when you have no margin for error in the playoff race.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Probably because the coach doesn't believe he is game ready yet

Old
02-27-2014, 09:47 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I am a bit puzzled that Slater can't find his way into the Jets line-up now that he is reportedly healthy.

One of the Jets major weaknesses is on face-offs, and Slater is easily their best at this.

I would put him in the line-up over Wright. I'm pretty sure that he, Kane and others can easily mop up Wright's PK minutes, and Wright doesn't really do much else right now.

The Jets have had a few goals scored late in periods on direct face-off losses. You can't afford that when you have no margin for error in the playoff race.
because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. except for Kane. that, put in.
Slater in the line-up isn't that much of a positive, in my humble opinion.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:50 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
That, and they don't want to activate too many people off of IR at once. The trade deadline is approaching, and they can activate Halischuk and Slater after that if they need be.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:50 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:

I am pretty sure trouty got to Mo

I do understand Maurice's position that we were hot before the break and he wants to roll with the same group “initially” (plus Kane). This way hopefully they pick up where they left off and if they get schooled tonight then Slates is in next game (if he is fit). The tough part is if you make 3 or 4 changes (Kane, Slates, Hustle) then lose a few what next, it would be hard to bench Jimmy slates. Just adding Kane should be huge to start with then bring in Slates after our next loss and we are good to go.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

I do understand Maurice's position that we were hot before the break and he wants to roll with the same group “initially” (plus Kane). This way hopefully they pick up where they left off and if they get schooled tonight then Slates is in next game (if he is fit). The tough part is if you make 3 or 4 changes (Kane, Slates, Hustle) then lose a few what next, it would be hard to bench Jimmy slates. Just adding Kane should be huge to start with then bring in Slates after our next loss and we are good to go.
Hmmm...so if we're going with the 'hot' lineup, do you start the goalie who's .906 2-1-0 over his last 3 games, or the goalie who's .946 2-0-1 over his last 3? This may be more important that Slater in for Wright...

Old
02-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

Maybe Slater is not game ready, but I don't think that putting Slater in for Wright will affect the team's chemistry that much. The fourth line has been mix and match for a while now, and Wright's role has diminished to a few fourth line shifts and PK time.

I'm not that keen on re-inserting Halischuk right now. I just wasn't that impressed with him earlier this year.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
RonJon
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 122
Quote:
Maybe Slater is not game ready, but I don't think that putting Slater in for Wright will affect the team's chemistry that much. The fourth line has been mix and match for a while now, and Wright's role has diminished to a few fourth line shifts and PK time.

I'm not that keen on re-inserting Halischuk right now. I just wasn't that impressed with him earlier this year.
Am I correct in saying that if Slater and Halischuck are taken off IR, two players would have to be put on wavers to bring the roster limit in line? If so I believe that this is as much of a factor and possibly the biggest factor of keeping them on IR for the next week. After the trade deadline the roster expands.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Gotaf7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Hmmm...so if we're going with the 'hot' lineup, do you start the goalie who's .906 2-1-0 over his last 3 games, or the goalie who's .946 2-0-1 over his last 3? This may be more important that Slater in for Wright...
IMO Pavs gets the start, listening to the PoMo presser yesterday and hearing him call the goaltending "consistent" tells me he is ****ing blind and he will ride Pavs just like Noel did.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Aavco Cup

Slater might play after all

@WiebeSunSports: Looks like Paul Maurice had a change of heart about lineup. Jim Slater between Chris Thorburn and James Wright on fourth line #NHLJets

@ScottBilleck: Lines: 9-5-26, 16-18-67, 40-12-33, 22-19-17. Looks like 27, 15 & 14 are the three take a seat in the press box tonight. 31 in goal. #NHLJets

@ScottBilleck: Paul Postma looks like the odd man out on D. #NHLJets

Last edited by Aavco Cup: 02-27-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old
02-27-2014, 10:35 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Slater back in!

Yay!

Old
02-27-2014, 10:36 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

So I guess Halischuk stays on the IR for now.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:40 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
IMO Pavs gets the start, listening to the PoMo presser yesterday and hearing him call the goaltending "consistent" tells me he is ****ing blind and he will ride Pavs just like Noel did.
Consistent != good. If you're consistently good, that's excellent. You can also be consistently bad.

I think there's something more subtle taking place with regards to Maurice's comments (although I could very well be reading too much into it).

Old
02-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Skidooboy

Start Pavs?!?!?!
Why not , he screwed up in Sochi, Is jet lagged, and basically stinks.
Perfect decision when fracking a divisional opponent with playoff implications.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:50 AM
impastabowl

Who does Wright have pictures of?? Guy has no business in an NHL lineup.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Its been a long time since we had a game day thread!

22 games to make the playoffs!

Go JETS Go!

Old
02-27-2014, 10:54 AM
buggs
A storm is coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Well that's obvious. You go with the .906 guy. I don't know why, but it shall come to pass.

For all the heat the guy takes, I really wish he'd turn it around and make everyone eat crow. I haven't worn my bloody Pavelec jersey to a game since November and it's the only Jets jersey I own.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJon View Post
Am I correct in saying that if Slater and Halischuck are taken off IR, two players would have to be put on wavers to bring the roster limit in line? If so I believe that this is as much of a factor and possibly the biggest factor of keeping them on IR for the next week. After the trade deadline the roster expands.
No. They'd only be one player over. Slater has been activated so now they are at the roster limit. Hali coming off would put them over.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Aavco Cup

@NHLJets: The #NHLJets are proud to announce that @HC_Women member, Gold Medalist & Manitoban Jocelyne Larocque will drop the puck at tonight’s game.

@NHLJets: We are equally excited to announce that Gold Medalists and Winnipeg’s own @TeamJJonesCurl will drop the puck at Tuesday’s #NHLJets game.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:07 AM
RonJon
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
No. They'd only be one player over. Slater has been activated so now they are at the roster limit. Hali coming off would put them over.
That's why I rely on my good looks and not my intelligence

Old
02-27-2014, 11:18 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't worry guys, the jets are going to win.
At least they better I put all my Olympic winnings on them! C'mon vcash!

02-27-2014, 11:23 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
I'll put it here because the Olympic thread was closed. I think the Greeks invented triangles as well.
I believe they were also the first peoples to chisel OT statements on tablets as well.

Pavs tonight, eh? Let's hope he plays as well as the last time the Jets met them.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post

@WiebeSunSports: Looks like Paul Maurice had a change of heart about lineup. Jim Slater between Chris Thorburn and James Wright on fourth line #NHLJets

@ScottBilleck: Lines: 9-5-26, 16-18-67, 40-12-33, 22-19-17. Looks like 27, 15 & 14 are the three take a seat in the press box tonight. 31 in goal. #NHLJets

Wow, Stuart is centering our top line now??

1st hat trick, Mark Stuart!!! It's going to be all toe drags and dirty dangles from Stu tonight!

(<--- did I really need this?)

Old
02-27-2014, 11:29 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post

Mark Stuart for first-line center

Closed Thread