Notices

Paul Maurice Q&A at University Of Manitoba

Old
02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
troubabooster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Gotta think that Buff is one of the players on his way out. Aside from that, who knows? Maybe Setoguchi since he never really worked out here.
Buff, Oli, Seto & Pavs all gone by draft day this summer - wouldn't that be really building for the future.

Keep hearing Kane's names in trade rumours though - that would somewhat surprise me (perhaps there is more going on behind the scenes than we realize).

troubabooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
Buff, Oli, Seto & Pavs all gone by draft day this summer - wouldn't that be really building for the future.

Keep hearing Kane's names in trade rumours though - that would somewhat surprise me (perhaps there is more going on behind the scenes than we realize).
I think you keep hearing Kanes name for the same reason you hear anyone' name...they're good enough at hockey that people want them.

add in the fact it took the winnipeg media three years to get over the novelty of a young black hockey player not acting like a 60 year old white banker and it's not really a suprise.

I can't see how anyone who watches the games could want Kane gone. Kid has no quit and buckets of talent. Can't see our GM wanting to deal him either.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I think you keep hearing Kanes name for the same reason you hear anyone' name...they're good enough at hockey that people want them.

add in the fact it took the winnipeg media three years to get over the novelty of a young black hockey player not acting like a 60 year old white banker and it's not really a suprise.

I can't see how anyone who watches the games could want Kane gone. Kid has no quit and buckets of talent. Can't see our GM wanting to deal him either.
Not to mention that all we keep hearing about is young, fast and big. He's all of those.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Thanks so much for this OP. I'm really getting a good vibe about Maurice. Not sure how long he'll be here, but he seems like such a ridiculously good fit for our team right now.

We're probably still min 3-4 years away from being looked at as a team expecting to win a playoff series. But the sooner we get the experience of losing the more it will harden our young players' resolve not to lose. Maurice seems like the right guy to get us to the dance as soon as we can.

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
Thanks so much for this OP. I'm really getting a good vibe about Maurice. Not sure how long he'll be here, but he seems like such a ridiculously good fit for our team right now.

We're probably still min 3-4 years away from being looked at as a team expecting to win a playoff series. But the sooner we get the experience of losing the more it will harden our young players' resolve not to lose. Maurice seems like the right guy to get us to the dance as soon as we can.
OT: Happy Birthday Rick Flair.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:51 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Falk View Post
All I can say is what a refreshing read this post was!!!!

Now was it the university setting that allowed Maurice to get so descriptive or was he actually getting asked questions that Winnipeg's media seems incapable of?
I think a big part of it was he was asked questions about specific problems (in terms of "when a player has an attitude issue" or something, never about specific players) and difficult situations, and how you resolve them.

He brought up jets examples as much, or more, than those asking the questions. Nobody was looking for a soundbite, (much the opposite, he talked for almost 2 hours) everybody wanted to know how an NHL coach goes about fostering culture change in a dressing room of multi million dollar players, and were asking much deeper questions than "how are you going to win more games?"

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:55 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

When he talked about people no longer being with the jets, did you get the feeling that a trade is imminent?

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:05 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
When he talked about people no longer being with the jets, did you get the feeling that a trade is imminent?
Moreso just that Status Quo is not okay when we are not winning the Stanley Cup and the Presidents trophy every year. That if there is a player or coach who is not contributing to the organization then they will see the door, be it through trade, UFA, firing, etc.

He stressed that it is not fair to the other 20 guys if a small group of players is not being held accountable for their level of play while the others are. So you have to put a bit of pressure on those players, and tell them you need improvement, and if you legitimately give them a chance to improve, and tell them in what ways you need to see improvement, and they don't get any better or change at all, then you need to part ways with them eventually.

So yeah, what I got out of it wasn't "I'm coming in with a battleaxe to make a lot of cuts". It was that if a player isn't working out, he's going to try and help them figure out how to do what they need to do, but if they can't or wont do it, then there is no place for them on the team in the long run.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard chuck View Post
ot: Happy birthday rick flair.
whooooo!!

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:38 PM
troubabooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
Moreso just that Status Quo is not okay when we are not winning the Stanley Cup and the Presidents trophy every year. That if there is a player or coach who is not contributing to the organization then they will see the door, be it through trade, UFA, firing, etc.

He stressed that it is not fair to the other 20 guys if a small group of players is not being held accountable for their level of play while the others are. So you have to put a bit of pressure on those players, and tell them you need improvement, and if you legitimately give them a chance to improve, and tell them in what ways you need to see improvement, and they don't get any better or change at all, then you need to part ways with them eventually.

So yeah, what I got out of it wasn't "I'm coming in with a battleaxe to make a lot of cuts". It was that if a player isn't working out, he's going to try and help them figure out how to do what they need to do, but if they can't or wont do it, then there is no place for them on the team in the long run.
Gotta hope he was talking about Pavs when he was talking about players holding the whole team back. Lets hope they've told him exactly what he needs to change, and given him the rest of the year to prove he is making significant progress. Given that, & knowing how resistant Pavs is to really changing, = its been great to know you Pavs - have a nice time in the KHL.

troubabooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:22 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

To be fair to Pavs, he seems to lack the talent, but he always comes off as a guy who is liked in the room.

(This is based on the times I've seen him and bunch of other Jets hanging out outside of the rink).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:14 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 415
Great OP. Great read. Thanks.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Thank you for sharing this!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:45 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
people always have to remember that Maurice has a wicked sense of humour. he did an interview with the FAN590 right when he accepted the Jets job. he talked about how when he was in Toronto, he kept most of his jokes in his head due to the market, and how he really wanted to use his dark, sarcastic humour more.

him saying that he could name the players that he wants to trade is, in my opinion, his version of a joke. of course he won't name players and most teams have players they would want to trade. no coach would ever admit to it.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:51 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I asked him about stats, and about how he makes sure that he is setting standards for players on the basis of inputs, and not outputs, and he said that they have their own stats guys who do analytics on the things they are looking for, and that they have their own metrics for what drive success (I think he said "shots on net coming out of our zone" as an example which could mean how well we push out to their end of the ice for a shot, or, just reducing shots in our zone) and they look at videos of instances of things to evaluate players, and how they are performing in the system.

He said if there is missed coverage, there is missed coverage, goal against or not, and the answer is fixing that coverage, and if the players are in the right places, and properly doing the tasks they are supposed to do, the results should follow. Essentially he said that he doesn't care about how many giveaways a player makes that end up in the back of the net, he cares about the number of giveaways that player makes period. He talked about looking at a player and saying "well, he's not too hot right now, but his winger isn't helping him at all." So it seems he is input focused, which I like.
I like this.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:44 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
He also mentioned "inconsistent goaltending" as an issue, and fixing the system in front of it so that the goal tending issue could be evaluated. EDIT/ for clarity, he said that you couldn't evaluate the goaltending properly until the D-zone coverage was cleaned up. He didn't say that he was fixing the defense for the purpose of evaluating goaltending. He used it as an example for making sure you can hold people to the standards you set, basically that he can't hold the goalie accountable unless he knows it's on the goalie.
Well then he should be fired because everyone here knows it's all Pavs' fault all the time.

Funny I say our defense is terrible and everyone is quick to jump down my throat. And now it comes right from the coaches mouth.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:05 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
Well then he should be fired because everyone here knows it's all Pavs' fault all the time.

Funny I say our defense is terrible and everyone is quick to jump down my throat. And now it comes right from the coaches mouth.
I just think he's trying to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that Pavelec is terrible, but to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I like this.
I thought you might. Basically to sum up what he said was that you can label it however you want, but he has certain things from the players that he is looking for, and he is going to make sure those things are done properly, regardless of the end result of whatever those mistakes were.

If Stuart makes a bad pass that almost gets picked off for a goal, and Trouba goes on an end to end rush with the puck, and Stu gets an assist on the play, it's still a bad pass. And he has people looking through tape to find those isolated moments that are issues, regardless of whether or not they end up in a net.

Old
02-27-2014, 12:06 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
people always have to remember that Maurice has a wicked sense of humour. he did an interview with the FAN590 right when he accepted the Jets job. he talked about how when he was in Toronto, he kept most of his jokes in his head due to the market, and how he really wanted to use his dark, sarcastic humour more.

him saying that he could name the players that he wants to trade is, in my opinion, his version of a joke. of course he won't name players and most teams have players they would want to trade. no coach would ever admit to it.
Someone asked him how a person could identify their own weaknesses and where they need to improve as a leader.

He deadpanned right at the guy and said "Get Married"

Old
02-27-2014, 12:23 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Someone asked him how a person could identify their own weaknesses and where they need to improve as a leader.

He deadpanned right at the guy and said "Get Married"

Truer words were never spoken

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:34 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

broinwhyteridge will attest to that.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:32 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
broinwhyteridge will attest to that.
Me three.
Sounds like this is as close to consensus as we'll ever get on this board.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:06 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
The first boldest part is very interesting. We will get to see at least 2 roster moves this week it sounds like

And love the comment about Trouba. Guys a complete stud and he knows it.
Well... They all but have to send two players down to St. John's.

If those are the moves, this will be kinda anticlimactic.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
On cutting players, requesting trades, benching, roster moves etc:
"There are 2 or 3 guys that aren't going to be around much longer and I could tell you exactly who they are"

"Don't underestimate the amount of work it took to get this young"

He talked about it being hard to get rid of a player, but you have to do it, because you care so much about all of the other guys that the one who is an issue needs to go.
I really liked this part.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:24 PM
AlphaLackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
whooooo!!
Are you even allowed to have birthdays anymore? I thought your ex-wives got them all in the divorces.

AlphaLackey is offline   Reply With Quote