HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Petrovicky knocked Newburry OUT

Old
02-11-2007, 06:50 PM
mytor4*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
Oh, the irony.
well at least he's using his fist on his face istead of taking a cheap shot with a goalie stick.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 09:10 PM
HarborYardSec109

Pretty one sided fight...bad result with the way Newbury went down. Thankfully, that report from TSN is good news on Newbury's condition.

But, wow...never knew Petro had that in him. Put that one in the "KTFO" file.

HarborYardSec109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 03:04 AM
clefty
What?

Maple Leafs winger Kris Newbury is expected to be out about a week after taking a fierce beating from Penguins right winger Ronald Petrovicky in a third-period fight. The two had a 10-minute phone conversation Sunday. "I told him it wasn't his fault," Newbury told reporters yesterday. "He felt bad about what happened."

Good thing about hockey and sports in general, these two will probably now be friends the rest of their careers.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 03:34 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
I love fighting but I hate it when someone gets hurt.
at this point, i'm not anti-fighting in pro hockey since it can serve a role...but i think the statement above is what most hockey ppl think, and its also the reason why the debate over fighting in hockey exists...after all, what's the point of a fight if the goal is not to hurt the opponent...its a contradiction...its like me firing rights at a guy's unprotected face while yelling "i dont want to hurt you!!!"...seemed like every Pens fan in the building that night went from ecstatically cheering over the opponent's beat down, to quickly being forced to reconsider whether this is at all in accordance with natural, decent behavior...

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 03:48 AM
Nordic*

Players should only fight cause they´re pissed, not to please the audience.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
The only thing he's going to do is cheap shot other players and increase the chance someone runs Crosby.

The only thing...

You're a real expert, aren't you... Or just not paying attention.

Please give me a list of 5 Ruutu cheapshots this season.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:44 AM
LuigiStone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
at this point, i'm not anti-fighting in pro hockey since it can serve a role...but i think the statement above is what most hockey ppl think, and its also the reason why the debate over fighting in hockey exists...after all, what's the point of a fight if the goal is not to hurt the opponent...its a contradiction...its like me firing rights at a guy's unprotected face while yelling "i dont want to hurt you!!!"...seemed like every Pens fan in the building that night went from ecstatically cheering over the opponent's beat down, to quickly being forced to reconsider whether this is at all in accordance with natural, decent behavior...
I don't mind the players getting their noses broken, or get black eyes or even having their faces look like bloody messes...but I don't want the players to lay on the ice half-dead. There is a big difference and I'm sure the players when they fight even when they're pissed only try to hurt the players a little and not try to kill them which usually is pretty much an accident anyway. This happens very rarely.

Think about MMA. Most fighters are really good guys...I mean really good guys. They try to hurt each other during a fight but they never want to see their opponent get hurt. Same goes in a hockey fight. Do you know what I mean ?

LuigiStone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Platapie

Quote:
I was referring to the tag team of Orpik, Malone, Petrovisky, Thorburn, and Armstrong. Between these guys I do not see the need to get a guy who can do nothing more than go out there and fight.
Well, it's debatable that such was required even without them. I suppose the question is, how much harrasment are your star kids taking every game, and is it worth getting someone who might tone it down. Another question, I suppose, is do pure fighters tone anything down anymore?

Quote:
I just do not see the need for an enforcer when that roll has been covered by the team as a whole.
Nailing Koivu, taking down Newbury etc is pretty small stuff. You may be right, I don't see the Penguins often, but if your stars, who are all pretty young have people leaving them alone a bit more, then you're right. If not, it wouldn't hurt but I agree it's not overly necessary in todays NHL.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:57 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
this was a wildly entertaining game by the way

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:11 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
I don't mind the players getting their noses broken, or get black eyes or even having their faces look like bloody messes...but I don't want the players to lay on the ice half-dead. There is a big difference and I'm sure the players when they fight even when they're pissed only try to hurt the players a little and not try to kill them which usually is pretty much an accident anyway. This happens very rarely.

Think about MMA. Most fighters are really good guys...I mean really good guys. They try to hurt each other during a fight but they never want to see their opponent get hurt. Same goes in a hockey fight. Do you know what I mean ?
yeah i know what you mean...and in no way was i singling your post out to pick on you...and yet, i just dont buy this whole idea of "a player wanting to hurt another, but not really"...when a guy who's 6'4, 230lbs is doing what he's paid for, punching a guy in the face, its hard to also tell him to control the amount of damage he does with his fists...if he does his job well, and connects flush with a face, then there's no telling how badly you can hurt the other guy...but again, i dont think the amount of damage done is the true issue...

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Maple Leafs winger Kris Newbury is expected to be out about a week after taking a fierce beating from Penguins right winger Ronald Petrovicky in a third-period fight. The two had a 10-minute phone conversation Sunday. "I told him it wasn't his fault," Newbury told reporters yesterday. "He felt bad about what happened."

Good thing about hockey and sports in general, these two will probably now be friends the rest of their careers.
Classy act by Petro. Hockey is also this.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:18 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Good fight, nasty knock but nice to hear everything will be ok.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:42 AM
dok101

I love fighting but that is tough to watch. I can't recall the last time someone was knocked out in a fight.

dok101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:51 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok101 View Post
I love fighting but that is tough to watch. I can't recall the last time someone was knocked out in a fight.
Souray have knocked out a couple in the past.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Dextrous*

Great fight and the kid got destroyed. Tough to see but the fans LOVE this. American ones especially. Honestly market this knockout and youll make yourself a new fanbase in the states!

Dextrous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post
When watching the Fox replay in slo-mo several times, it looked like one of the final punches knocked him out.

Hope he is ok.
I think you're right. Newbury goes limp after one of those punches and starts to go down.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
FlowerPower

definately is out on his feet... but the hitting the back of the head on the ice is the scary part.

i enjoyed the fight and the pens not getting pushed around but i dont want to see guys knocked out on their feet to end up slamming their heads on the ice. im glad he is ok

talbot was on a local radio show yesterday being asked how great that fight was... his replied was that it just was pretty scary. like the guy above said americans might like knockouts but these guys play hockey they arent boxing. while fighting is apart of the game i dont like seeing guys career close to being ended for a hockey fight.

FlowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Scary scary stuff!!!!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote