HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What is Prucha's role...

Old
02-14-2007, 08:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
Derek Armstrong for Peter Prucha?
Counter offer: Kopitar for Betts

02-14-2007, 08:37 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
Sopel and Pushkarev to NYR for Prucha? or Derek Armstrong for Peter Prucha?
Such tempting offers. Have you met JORt41?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Fletch

Back to Prucha...

obviously, his whole situation bothers me a bit. And this isn't because I think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread; I recognize his faults, had my doubts, and understand that players are somewhat responsible for their actions. But what bothers me is how far a kid fell from 30 goals in 68 games, while very often playing in a more limited role (10+ ES minutes with Betts).

Some people give credit to coaches who get the best out of a player. When you go the other way, very often people will ssay he was given every chance and he (or whatever player) didn't take the bull by the horns. I do blame Renney a bit for not being able to get more out of Prucha this season. I do blame him a bit for not finding the right niche for him (as he's struggled with most every player on the roster). I do scratch my head and wonder why he was stuck on the second PP unit when Shanny struggled mightily and last season Prucha had more PP goals in less PP minutes, by a good amount, than Shanny this season which was at a time the Rangers struggled too. At some point, you do point to coaching.

If he gets traded, I'm fine with that, although the Rangers would do themselves a disservice since his value could very likely be down from last season, and that's a bit of a shame.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 09:11 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
If he gets traded, I'm fine with that, although the Rangers would do themselves a disservice since his value could very likely be down from last season, and that's a bit of a shame.
It would be no different than when Amonte, Weight or Marchant got traded. Or Ridley & Miller. Or Norstrom & Lapperriere. Or Middleton for that matter.

Old
02-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Fletch

Perhaps...

I do believe that Prucha would need the right situation to be successful though. He's not going to score goals on his own, like others may be able to do. But I think he'd score more than your average Joe playing with a decent playmaker. Renney wants to see a guy that doesn't need help - which is fine, and hopefully Avery's that guy, and that guy who can bring a little more.

Old
02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
bleedrngrblue

I personally think trading Prucha would be a mistake. While his position on this team is in question , his hockey ability is evident. The coaching staff has tinkered with everyone they possibly can on this roster not named Shanahan or Jagr. I can't complain about Pruchas bouncing around, but I don't have to like it. There is far too much shuffling of lines going on. That is the one complaint I can have with Renney! I think he's a good coach, I just think he is in a position where he is constantly trying to find the right combination to appease certain people in the organization. Take that last comment as you will. Prucha has dissapointed according to the numbers, but I don't think all the blame lies at his feet, and I think as good a team guy as he's been, the moving around has been his biggest problem. That said, for the most part , the guy works his butt off out there, and I stil think last season was what he will be as an NHLer, and not a mirage. this is his second season as a Ranger, I hope he has several more, and i think we'll all see a heck of a player if that happens.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I loved Prucha last season. His performance was a large part of what made last season so enjoyable.

That said, I'm really not sure what his role is on this team now. He's not going to beat out any of the top six forwards. And now he seems like he can't take a spot from anyone on the third line.

He doesn't kill penalties. He needs to play a much bigger players' game in order to be effective. And I have to wonder how that is going to effect him long-term. He reminds me a bit like Turcotte and Granato.

I think he's trade bait at this point.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
In The Flesh

You can't give up on Prucha yet, I mean he scored 30 goals last season. He's not had a good season this year, for various reasons, but I would like to see what he does next season, if he has the same kind of year as this year, then we can all consider him a one year wonder.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
You can't give up on Prucha yet, I mean he scored 30 goals last season. He's not had a good season this year, for various reasons, but I would like to see what he does next season, if he has the same kind of year as this year, then we can all consider him a one year wonder.
Of course you also run the risk of lowering his trade value.

Old
02-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Fletch

SBoB...

I think it's been lowered already...

But I agree that his role is a ? now - which is why I started the thread. Still believe that other measure could've been taken to see if he could rebound, but we're past that now. Would love to see how he'd do if he actually played with a playmaking centerman, and was used a bit more on the PP, just to satisfy my curiosity.

The kid could still net 15 goals or so in what essentially was a third line role. Goal-wise, that's not too bad; of course he doesn't have other third line attributes, but I'm focusing on production from him.

Old
02-14-2007, 10:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think it's been lowered already...

But I agree that his role is a ? now - which is why I started the thread. Still believe that other measure could've been taken to see if he could rebound, but we're past that now. Would love to see how he'd do if he actually played with a playmaking centerman, and was used a bit more on the PP, just to satisfy my curiosity.

The kid could still net 15 goals or so in what essentially was a third line role. Goal-wise, that's not too bad; of course he doesn't have other third line attributes, but I'm focusing on production from him.
The first line is the finesse squd.
The second line is now a grittier, more N-S, dare I say North American unit.
The third line is a fast, engery line.
The fourth line is a mishmash of hustle, hitting and occasional fighting.

Prucha is not a fourth liner. He's not playing on the top three lines. The Rangers have already resigned Straka. They seem wedded to going with Hossa.

So, if the song remains the same, Prucha's trade bait. Especially in that they already have a smaller winger in Dawes and it seems like Callahan should challenge for a spot next season. I really don't know what you do with him.

Old
02-14-2007, 10:47 AM
mrhockey193195

One stat that sticks out at me quite a bit.

As of last year, Prucha had more career goals per minute of ice time than Wayne Gretzky....in fact, I think someone compiled a list, and Prucha was top 20 all time.

You can't give up on this kid now, I highly doubt his first year was a fluke. Limited ice time this year has hurt him, and I still think he's recovering mentally from the injury against philly last year. Until about a month ago, Prucha, while always giving 110%, wouldn't be skating at his full speed, and I think it's b/c he is worried about his leg from last year. Hopefully, he gets over that, b/c his biggest asset when playing on a line w/out jagr (who could set him up) is his speed to beat a dman one-on-one.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:56 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
I just think he is in a position where he is constantly trying to find the right combination to appease certain people in the organization. Take that last comment as you will.
I have no idea of what that means.
Quote:
Prucha has dissapointed according to the numbers,
Numbers are kind of funny. The Devils have had no issue with Parise playing most of his rookie year on the 2nd line, despite the fact that he totaled 14 goals & 18 assists. Now, they have no problem of playing Zajac on the 2nd line, despite the fact that he has 10 goals (less than Prucha) and 16 assist (only 4 more than Prucha). One cannot compare the young players developed by the Devils to that of the Rangers. Nor can one compare the overall excellence of the organization of the Devils to that of the Rangers. Meanwhile, here we are hearing and reading excuses as to why a 30 goal scoring rookie has no place now on the top 3 lines, let alone the top 2.

In Colorado, Svatos had no issues playing on the 2nd line last year. And has played a good deal on it again this year. He scored less goals than Prucha both last year and this year. It all comes down to the fact that some organizations can develop their own players and some are still scratching their head as to how it has been over a decade since the last top-6 forward was develped.

Old
02-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Fletch

Good call on Zajac, TB...

Zajac averages about 2:30 more ES time than Prucha, and a bit more PP time too, which may talk more about the way in which Renney divvies up ice time more than anything else.

Old
02-14-2007, 02:22 PM
McRanger

Forget the numbers. Prucha has spent more time sliding around on the ice than he has making things happen in the offensive zone. Blame whoever or whatever you want; his linemates, his fluxuating ice-time, Renneys use of him etc... when he has been out there he simply hasnt looked that good. Even when he was on a line that looked good and was socring, he was still fanning on pucks, missing the net or putting his shot into D-mans legs, spending half the shift on his ass...

Im not concerned about production, Im concerned about the way hes playing.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote