HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

More puck time with a bad team or less puck time with a sort of bad team?

Old
02-26-2014, 03:51 PM
mzm119

vCash: 500
More puck time with a bad team or less puck time with a sort of bad team?

Do you prefer more puck time with unskilled teammates or less puck time with slightly more skilled teammates?

I currently play on two teams. A low B team which is competitive with solid teammates who I'm able to move the puck around fairly efficiently, score some goals, etc.

My second team is a C team playing against low B competition. There are some decent guys on my team as well as some who can't skate at all. I still score somewhat regularly but unless I get the puck myself, I'm not going to touch it since not many on the team can pass or receive. Scoring isn't everything, but it is a good measure of puck movement.

My buddy is on a third team that he's asked me to join, a D team contracted into a high C league. A lot of them are beginners and they got destroyed this season (0-18). The one time I did sub for them, I got a lot of puck time and had 2 goals and 2 assists (which was pretty fun) while still doing my best to distribute and not be a puck hog. Even though they are very much beginners, the competition is a little slower since they're true C teams so it's easier to make up for a lack of passing. I don't think I'd be considered a ringer since we still lost 10-4 and I only had 2 of the goals and probably wouldn't be capable of scoring 4-8 goals a night like true ringers, mostly because I'm an average player.

Thinking about dropping my second team for the new team. Any thoughts on this? I know better competition makes you a better player but I have that with the first team I mentioned. I also don't want to be a jerk by playing against players slightly lower than me in skill even if my team would probably still get run every night but it sure was fun handling the puck so much.

mzm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
MattGTI

You shouldn't be playing in a league where you are noticeably better than your teammates or opponents.

I understand that skill levels vary somewhat between leagues, and while every level has different caliber players, if you stick out, you shouldn't be there.

I am not implying that this is what you are looking for, I am just saying to stick to whatever league you feel gives you the best overall challenge, and where your skill level is best suited.

I wouldn't play on a horrible team, just because I could be Wayne Gretzky out there. On the flip side, while I feel it is good to play against better opponents, you also don't want to play above your skill level either.

I am guessing you know which league best suits you, and should stick to that one.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 05:20 PM
mzm119

Well, I would say I stuck out on the team I was playing with (the D team in a C league) but that the other team (C team, which is what the rest of the league is comprised of) had one player noticeably better than me and three or four comparable to me.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:10 AM
Pacifist Goon

I go to scrimmages with two different groups each week, one where there are plenty of players better then me and where their passes hit their targets and everyone can skate; and another where I'm a little more dominant, where some struggle with their skating and where passes too often go anywhere but on the end of your stick; at your feet, behind you, twenty feet in front of you, etc.

It's the biggest frustration, but get a little more puck time.

I say go for the higher level, more challenging and less frustrating providing you won't be frustrating others. May get a bit less ice time, but your bound to benefit more from running training drills with better players.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 03:30 AM
jazzykat

I just want to play ice hockey, so my initial response is go with whatever get's you more ice time. I would find a team that I was making second line on so I can get almost as much ice as the first line and still have something to shoot for. If I was good enough for first line of a team but not dominant I would stay on it, but if I was ever too dominant (never going to happen) I would definitely go up a level.

I love the sport and just want to play it. I don't enjoy beating up on people/teams who are too weak.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:25 AM
mzm119

I just wish there were more days in the week so I could play on all three. Although, my wife isn't too pumped when I get home at 1am from hockey on a Tuesday night.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:10 AM
sanityplease

I'd stay with the two best leagues. Maybe go out once in a while with the lower one, when they're short of players.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 03:40 PM
goonx

Hockey is about having fun at this lvl.

So if you like playing with your friend then play with him. But I wouldn't be too flashy about it if you feel you're a bit better

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 07:48 PM
chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzm119 View Post
Well, I would say I stuck out on the team I was playing with (the D team in a C league) but that the other team (C team, which is what the rest of the league is comprised of) had one player noticeably better than me and three or four comparable to me.
story of my beer league life, bro...

chapel is offline   Reply With Quote