HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

My view from in front of the big screen

Old
02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
It wasn't only that though, it was also Tim Thomas not even having to make a save due to the Oilers not even getting a shot on goal with some grade A chances.

Horcoff set up for a one timer on the PP from 15 feet away, misses the net.
Lupul sent in all alone by a rare deft pass from Torres, goes backhand, misses the net.
Pouliot hits the crossbar.
True enough. That could be due to a couple of things...bad luck and a lack of intensity (not bearing down). I am inclined to go with the latter.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
True enough. That could be due to a couple of things...bad luck and a lack of intensity (not bearing down). I am inclined to go with the latter.
I don't know know if it was lack of intensity, or too much intensity brought on by desperation.

Meh, what does it matter...a loss is a loss no matter the excuse.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I don't know know if it was lack of intensity, or too much intensity brought on by desperation.

Meh, what does it matter...a loss is a loss no matter the excuse.
If your suggesting they were too uptight then that doesn't bode well for this team down the stretch.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
If your suggesting they were too uptight then that doesn't bode well for this team down the stretch.
That's exactly what I'm suggesting, in fact I think it's much more likely than them coming into a game at this point of the season being too loose and relaxed.

And yeah, none of that is a good sign considering this was supposed to be one of the 'easier' games.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

This team just doesn't have, for lack of a better term, "it".

They'll find ways to lose games instead of the other way around.

I don't think it's something that can be fixed over the course of one trade deadline. I think there's deeper issues with the makeup of the roster and chemistry between players. These are abstract concepts that are nearly impossible to quantify, but nevertheless I think sometimes things just click. And things aren't clicking this year, and there isn't really any potential for things to click in the near future.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
jiggyman

Would it really surprise anyone here to watch the Oilers blow the "easy" game, then go on to beat the top team in the league? Sure as hell wouldn't surprise me one bit.

jiggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:09 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
100%

HA101 is being way to tough. I thought they played excellent, the bounces didn't go their way, like you said, those things happen. The Oilers were constantly in the Boston D zone. Tim Thomas just happened to play unreal.
Than Mactavish is just as tough.

His quote on Thomas's shut out was this. "How many of those saves were difficult?

Sounds like the exact thing I said.

Not saying that he or I am right but I am inclined to think his opinion of the game would hold some water.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:54 PM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Than Mactavish is just as tough.

His quote on Thomas's shut out was this. "How many of those saves were difficult?

Sounds like the exact thing I said.

Not saying that he or I am right but I am inclined to think his opinion of the game would hold some water.
Although I disagreed with your original assessment, I'd have to agree with you that MacT's opinion holds a lot more weight than either yours or mine. And I would tend to agree that our offensive game didn't seem particularly spectacular; perhaps if we had our 2nd or 3rd lines going as well, we might've equalized the score and made Thomas look a little more mortal.

That being said, I still disagree with the notion that we lacked emotion and passion and effort in the game. We lack some skill (due to players being injured--Stoll is really missed) so we had some difficulty getting goals, but we were in their zone most of the night and didn't seem to be loafing much. I think we won just about every race for a loose puck in their zone in the 3rd period...there were plenty of shifts where the Oilers (especially the 1st line) seemed to be in their zone for long stretches. That's not the hallmark of a team playing a lazy game.

I'll also say that I'm not sure what MacT is talking about when he says they need to play a more boring, defensive-minded game. The only two non-EN goals we gave up were in the space of three minutes in the 1st period....both PP goals! It's not like we got lit up for seven goals because we had five cherry-pickers on the ice all night....

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 05:30 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
Although I disagreed with your original assessment, I'd have to agree with you that MacT's opinion holds a lot more weight than either yours or mine. And I would tend to agree that our offensive game didn't seem particularly spectacular; perhaps if we had our 2nd or 3rd lines going as well, we might've equalized the score and made Thomas look a little more mortal.

That being said, I still disagree with the notion that we lacked emotion and passion and effort in the game. We lack some skill (due to players being injured--Stoll is really missed) so we had some difficulty getting goals, but we were in their zone most of the night and didn't seem to be loafing much. I think we won just about every race for a loose puck in their zone in the 3rd period...there were plenty of shifts where the Oilers (especially the 1st line) seemed to be in their zone for long stretches. That's not the hallmark of a team playing a lazy game.

I'll also say that I'm not sure what MacT is talking about when he says they need to play a more boring, defensive-minded game. The only two non-EN goals we gave up were in the space of three minutes in the 1st period....both PP goals! It's not like we got lit up for seven goals because we had five cherry-pickers on the ice all night....
I think I now understand where our disagreement stems from.

I would agree that we are missing some integral parts of our lineup which means we must make it difficult for the opposing goaltender to see the puck, we must go hard to the net on every play. We have to work smarter!

There was not enough desire to get to the net and getting to positions where the puck is going to go on a rebound.

The Oilers had lots of shots and were shooting from the net but they did not pay the price in order to get to rebounds, or get in front of the net.

Thus my comment and MacT's. There is no excuse for that when you fighting for your life for a playoff spot.

It was an easy shut out for Thomas and that it is inexcusable no matter the reason!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote