HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

CCM RBZ Skates - Long Term Review

Old
02-25-2014, 10:31 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlebair View Post
AIREAYE, you wrote:

"You can and should bake them with the desired insole in them, but to be safe, you might not want to put the insoles in the oven with the skates. Reasoning is simple; your foot adopts a different shape with the support than without."

Sorry to sound dense, but are you saying to leave the arch supports (not stock) in while oven baking?
Best not to have any insole (except for the flimsy cheap stock insoles) with structure in the oven with the skates. This includes the CCM Arch ones and Superfeet for example. Put them in after they come out of the oven.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Wlebair
Rookie User

Buying new skates is overwhelming...

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand now what to do. Now I just need to pick out the right skate.

I've read your RBZ long term review- it provided a lot of good information. I haven't been out to my local hockey store here in Maryland (TotalHockey), but I've done a good bit of research on the types and models available in my price range. I think I've narrowed it down to the Bauer Supreme One.6 or
RBZ 70. They're in my price range which is key. Not to state the obvious, but I won't know if either are any good for me until I try them on. I just hope the "experts" at the store know what they're talking about. In a quick conversation with them on the phone they seem to think they are knowledgable because they've been there a year and a half already. Hmmmmm- I'm skeptical.

Any advice?

Wlebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 05:17 PM
AIREAYE

If they don't know what they're talking about, I'm sure you'll be able to pick up in it

Old
02-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Wlebair
Rookie User

Going to the skate shop tomorrow....

You seem pretty knowledgable about the RBZs. I've seen several postings (including yours) they indicate certain aspects of the boot are breaking down- eyelets, toecap and outsole separation, tendon guard stitching. I really have no frame of reference, but this relatively new line seems like it's got some significant issues. Can you comment? Do you know if CCM has addressed these in any way yet, or is just the nature if the beast with skates today?

I love the looks of these, but if they're gonna breakdown after average use I'm inclined to look elsewhere. Do the Bauer Supremes have a better track record?

Thanks in advance for responding....

Old
02-28-2014, 08:56 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlebair View Post
You seem pretty knowledgable about the RBZs. I've seen several postings (including yours) they indicate certain aspects of the boot are breaking down- eyelets, toecap and outsole separation, tendon guard stitching. I really have no frame of reference, but this relatively new line seems like it's got some significant issues. Can you comment? Do you know if CCM has addressed these in any way yet, or is just the nature if the beast with skates today?

I love the looks of these, but if they're gonna breakdown after average use I'm inclined to look elsewhere. Do the Bauer Supremes have a better track record?

Thanks in advance for responding....
To be honest with you, I was going to wait for the end of my season to comment on durability, because based on the number of skates that I see everywhere and my understanding that durability is relative, I was inclined to wait and be fair.

But since you asked, I'll try and summarize.

Yes I've had some stitching come out in key areas and the beginnings of what seems like separation of the outsole. Structurally, the skate is still sound and I have not had any issues on breakdown.

Then again, I'm a lightweight playing 1-2 a week and I've had these skates for 7 months with no issues and I take really good care with my skates.

I've heard the same complaints that you have and am inclined to extrapolate my own experiences in the sense that there would be cases of people who are bigger than I am and play more often that would experience worse.

That being said, I have not heard widespread complaints from different bases (colleagues, teens, beer leaguers, rep players, younger kids etc.) that would indicate to me that this could be a widespread issue.

I would still advocate for fit first and any consideration of durability after.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I've had no issues with durability so far, great skates all around, no complaints.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Wlebair
Rookie User

Off to the skate shop....

So I went skate hunting. I didn't buy anything today as I'm still honing in on what fits best. What I did discover was that the RBZ felt weird and not as comfortable as I imagined they'd be. Maybe a baking might help, but if they still felt odd then I'd be stuck with them.

I then tried the Bauers. First the One.6's, then the One.7's. They felt nice. The EE's for both fit we'll, 2 sizes smaller than my shoe size- that threw me. But whatever- fit and comfort are paramount. With the D I had several pressure points (front sides of my foot) that reminded me of my Micro Mega 10-90's. Yes, it's been a long time since I've bought new skates. What a difference 20 years makes! So the One.x's were pretty good.

Then the sales guy suggested I try the Nexus series. He brought out a pair of 400's. Wow, they felt fabulous. Better fit than the One.x's- what I noticed was the fact that there was some unique structure in the ankle area that appeared to lock me in more. Nice feel overall. The only problem was the sizing. These were 9.5D. Yes, the Nexus runs wider which in my case meant a great feel/fit. That said, my toe was brushing up against the front a bit much for me. So I need another 1/2 size up. They've contacted another one of their stores and are bringing in a 10D and 10EE. I hope one of these does the truck. I'm pretty psyched!

So, hopefully this is my last question for folks: I've read that Bauer does not consider/recommend that the 400 skates be baked. True or false? This guy Jeremiah at HockeyGiant.com wrote, "Bauer does not consider the Nexus 400 to be a thermo-formable skate. Baking the Nexus 400 Skates will probably soften the boot a little, but it really shouldn't be necessary because the boots are soft enough to break in within a matter of just a few hours of skating". Anyone agree with this or not? This guy goes on to say that the Nexus 600 skates are thermo-formable and can be baked.

Thoughts? Am I looking at damaging the 400's if they are baked? Maybe I should error on the cautious side and consider the 600's. They're only a few dollars more.

Anyhow, thanks again in advance for helping me through this maze....take care.

Old
03-01-2014, 04:56 PM
AIREAYE

Jeremiah's right.

You won't damage the skates.