HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
You want the Oilers to resign him out of spite or something?

His value is low because he doesn't fit on the Oilers anymore, and won't produce or recoup his value playing on the 3rd line. Nor does he help the Oilers win games, and has a high probability of walking in the offseason to a team that won't play him like a checker short of the Oilers offering another stupid contract.

The only thing the Oilers do by passing on a 3rd round pick is end up with nothing instead of the draft pick.
Well fun fact, when Oiler fans place David Moss or Kyle Clifford in place of Hemsky, that also doesn't help the Oilers win games. At least Hemsky can have the puck on his stick for some of the game and put up a bit of offense (Moss sometimes can, but he's not as good as Hemsky).

His value is low because he's playing 3rd line time here in a different role. He does help us win games, but his scoring is down because of the role. On another team, I think he'll rebound big and be the steal of the deadline.

Besides, I didn't say don't trade him. I said re-sign him because I believe he's useful, but if he just doesn't want to stay here (I don't blame him), then trade him at the last minute and get the maximum return.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:08 PM
tv14

Myers, Nurse, Marincin, Gernat, Petry would be a huge defensive corps. Chances are at least one would become "the next Chara"

Old
02-27-2014, 10:28 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Well fun fact, when Oiler fans place David Moss or Kyle Clifford in place of Hemsky, that also doesn't help the Oilers win games. At least Hemsky can have the puck on his stick for some of the game and put up a bit of offense (Moss sometimes can, but he's not as good as Hemsky).

His value is low because he's playing 3rd line time here in a different role. He does help us win games, but his scoring is down because of the role. On another team, I think he'll rebound big and be the steal of the deadline.

Besides, I didn't say don't trade him. I said re-sign him because I believe he's useful, but if he just doesn't want to stay here (I don't blame him), then trade him at the last minute and get the maximum return.
He made is clear before he signed this contract that being turned into a 3rd line checker would be his worst case scenario, he's not resigning in Edmonton. He'd probably be putting up more of a fuss about it if it wasn't just easier to let the contract ride out, and take a reclaimation contract in the offseason with an offensively challenged team that will give him the role he wants.

Even if that wasn't the case, having hemsky in a checking role clearly isn't a benefit to the team anyways. He contributes to the problem of the team being easy to play against, doesn't produce much offense without the cushy powerplay minutes, and doesn't help the team win games as the team clearly has no real ability to win hockey games unless they catch the opposing team snoozing.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Myers, Nurse, Marincin, Gernat, Petry would be a huge defensive corps. Chances are at least one would become "the next Chara"
You forgot Ekblad.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:30 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Semin and Brunner both with lower body injuries... market for Hemsky gets a bit better as more teams run into injury problems.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:50 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Semin and Brunner both with lower body injuries... market for Hemsky gets a bit better as more teams run into injury problems.
I don't see NJ or Car buying at the deadline

Old
02-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
If Hemsky's value is really a third round pick....re-sign him.

If he tells MacT there is a zero percent chance he wants to come back...then I guess you're waiting until 2:59 PM ET to get maximum return.

He's a real hockey player, so this has to be done correctly.
Yeah re-sign Hemsky, bring back Gagner and then wonder why we're at the bottom of the league again. I would sooner have a guy like Hendricks or Clifford in tonight's game than Hemsky or Gagner. We have enough skill guys up front and besides Hendricks and Gazdic we don't have anyone to play physically on a consistent basis.

02-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Soo with Myers potentially available, would you be taking a risk on him?
Yes. The Oilers have to take some chances back there, Myers is as good of a reclamation project as any.

Gagner + Musil or something for Myers?

Old
02-28-2014, 12:18 AM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
When asked if NJ would be a buyer Lou Lamoriello replied "absolutely"

They have to forfeit their 1st this year so I can see why.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:38 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
When asked if NJ would be a buyer Lou Lamoriello replied "absolutely"

They have to forfeit their 1st this year so I can see why.
They are closer than I thought, maybe Hemsky finally gets to play with Jagr. Can't see them giving up much for a rental though.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:42 AM
BleedingOil

Stefan Matteau would be ideal, do the devils give up on him?

Old
02-28-2014, 12:42 AM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yes. The Oilers have to take some chances back there, Myers is as good of a reclamation project as any.

I'd do Gagner and Petry for Myers+.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:43 AM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:

Myers is having a good year. If I'm running buffalo I don't even answer the phone for that offer.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:03 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I'd do Gagner and Petry for Myers+.
That would be stupid. You don't trade your best dman when your defense is this bad

02-28-2014, 01:41 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
That would be stupid. You don't trade your best dman when your defense is this bad
Myers, Schultz and Ekblad on the right side. I'd be OK with that deal. Just gotta work on the left side.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:56 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Well my comment was more "general" about more teams being hit by injuries around the deadline maybe pushing the market for rentals up a bit more.

As to Carolina and NJ specifically, they are both within striking distance of a playoff spot.. I see no reason why either wouldn't take a stab at a decent rental player if it helps them in their battle to get to the second season. Playoff money alone will easily pay the money a rental will cost for those last 20 games of the season.

Old
02-28-2014, 04:04 AM
Ice Whole

I would target Myers at the draft. If Weber becomes available, he should be our number 1 target. Since I highly doubt that'll happen though, I wonder if Buffalo would trade him for out first if we are drafting fourth? I would do it. Myers has turned his game around this season, has been playing like how he did in his rookie season and would easily be our best dmen right now. Plus we need all the help we can get immediately and Myers is the type of player that fits in with this core long term and can provide that.

Old
02-28-2014, 04:06 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well my comment was more "general" about more teams being hit by injuries around the deadline maybe pushing the market for rentals up a bit more.

As to Carolina and NJ specifically, they are both within striking distance of a playoff spot.. I see no reason why either wouldn't take a stab at a decent rental player if it helps them in their battle to get to the second season. Playoff money alone will easily pay the money a rental will cost for those last 20 games of the season.
No doubt what I should of said is I dont believe they have much of a chance this year. It does make more sence for NJ though since there time in running out with that core.

Old
02-28-2014, 04:11 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
I would target Myers at the draft. If Weber becomes available, he should be our number 1 target. Since I highly doubt that'll happen though, I wonder if Buffalo would trade him for out first if we are drafting fourth? I would do it. Myers has turned his game around this season, has been playing like how he did in his rookie season and would easily be our best dmen right now. Plus we need all the help we can get immediately and Myers is the type of player that fits in with this core long term and can provide that.
Myers isnt close to what he once was. The Sabres would want to much for damaged goods.

Old
02-28-2014, 04:28 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Myers isnt close to what he once was. The Sabres would want to much for damaged goods.
I disagree, I don't think he is damaged goods. He is only 24, drafted same year as Ebs and Dmen generally take longer to develop. He has been playing well this season and would be our best dmen. This team needs help now and Myers is young enough to help us now and moving forward. It's a risk but I would rather have Myers instead of a guy like Dal Colle, Draisaitl or Ritchie. All are great prospects but our biggest weakness is D.

Old
02-28-2014, 04:34 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:

Buffalo wouldn't touch that deal. They already have Hodgson and Girgensons down the middle and Myers has been playing well this season. They would get a better offer than that from a different team.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:29 AM
BleedingOil

Myers is -25, injuries have gotten the best of him. Wouldnt give up alot for him.

Old
02-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Myers is -25, injuries have gotten the best of him. Wouldnt give up alot for him.
I hate the +/- stat haha, yak is a -29, would you not want a premium if you were to trade him? I know Yak is younger, second year etc. but my point is Myers plays on a terrible team and that effects his +/-. He is still a quality dmen that will eventually be a number 1 IMO.

Old
02-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Soundwave

If our pick isn't one of Ekblad or Reinhart ... I can see some logic in a

Gagner + EDM 1st (Draistl?)

for

Myers + Grigorenko

swap.

Old
02-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Bergeron47

I get the feeling that we'll have a disappointing deadline, like most other years.
I predict Weber, St. Louis, Kesler, Miller and Gagner all stay put.
I guess the trading of Moulson and Vanek will be exciting.

Closed Thread