HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Newer OT Thread

Old
02-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
OT -Rotoworld Stats

Has anyone ever been to this site?

They have a really cool interactive stat thingy - and I have no idea what it is. Right in the middle of the page.

There are numbers on the y axis but no title or explanation of what that number means. Goalies have it too.

Any guesses what the hell that is?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/3316/taylor-hall

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 08:02 PM
40oz

vCash?

edit: I think it's a roto value sort of thing.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
vCash?

edit: I think it's a roto value sort of thing.
heh, not being a baseball fan I had to google this up. Still don't know what its about.

Silly really that they have no breakdown of what the graphs mean. Without that the numbers are of course meaningless.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Ghostbuster

I think it's fantasy hockey.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 05:29 AM
goggog

My graduating class is trying to plan a 7 day all-inclusive vacation to somewhere in Mexico, Dominican, or Cuba. Unfortunately we've been struggling to make some decisions!
We are trying to keep our group of ~25 cost under $1200 (Calgary depart) but I am wondering what experiences all you HF'ers have had?
What are some good sites to book vacations? (I know of Redtag, Expedia, Air Canada, and WestJet).
Which specific resorts have you experienced and would recommend?

Any other information is appreciated!

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggog View Post
My graduating class is trying to plan a 7 day all-inclusive vacation to somewhere in Mexico, Dominican, or Cuba. Unfortunately we've been struggling to make some decisions!
We are trying to keep our group of ~25 cost under $1200 (Calgary depart) but I am wondering what experiences all you HF'ers have had?
What are some good sites to book vacations? (I know of Redtag, Expedia, Air Canada, and WestJet).

First thought is that an All Inclusive in Mexico ends up being a drunkathon that nobody remembers much of, a couple people get lost somewhere, people that shouldn't end up hooking up do, all kinds of drama, and you end up not having that much of an experience and what you do have is spent with an all day blazing hangover spent in the heat. Just could never figure why that's an attractive thing.

Second thought is the whole idea of a "resort" is kinda lame. Why travel all that distance to waste any of that time at a generic resort?

Next being that Cuba and Dominican Republic are cheaper destinations for Eastern travellers. Being that its just as easy from Edmonton why not go to Kauai instead which is a much better time, better destination, not loaded with sickening tourist crap and where you can get off the beaten track. With the Napali coastline trail probably being one of the best experience I've had in my life. Hanelei being one of the most beautiful bays I've ever witnessed in my life. So much to do in Kauai but an island that isn't too large and is pretty explorable within that kind of time frame.

Kauai is the least visited of the main Hawaiian islands but the most beautiful and unspoiled (although this unfortunately changing as well in recent decades) All the movies can't be wrong. This is virtually the best shoot location for movies on the planet. For some reason its not over run, a good thing.

WestJet flies right to Lihue I believe

http://vacationbookings.westjet.com/...ep=82&star=2.5

ps not a great hotel and mixed reviews but if limiting cost is important its alright but in a pretty good location.

Go to Kauai and you'll be lining up to thank me.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-16-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old
02-16-2014, 09:29 PM
goggog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
First thought is that an All Inclusive in Mexico ends up being a drunkathon that nobody remembers much of, a couple people get lost somewhere, people that shouldn't end up hooking up do, all kinds of drama, and you end up not having that much of an experience and what you do have is spent with an all day blazing hangover spent in the heat. Just could never figure why that's an attractive thing.

Second thought is the whole idea of a "resort" is kinda lame. Why travel all that distance to waste any of that time at a generic resort?

Next being that Cuba and Dominican Republic are cheaper destinations for Eastern travellers. Being that its just as easy from Edmonton why not go to Kauai instead which is a much better time, better destination, not loaded with sickening tourist crap and where you can get off the beaten track. With the Napali coastline trail probably being one of the best experience I've had in my life. Hanelei being one of the most beautiful bays I've ever witnessed in my life. So much to do in Kauai but an island that isn't too large and is pretty explorable within that kind of time frame.

Kauai is the least visited of the main Hawaiian islands but the most beautiful and unspoiled (although this unfortunately changing as well in recent decades) All the movies can't be wrong. This is virtually the best shoot location for movies on the planet. For some reason its not over run, a good thing.

WestJet flies right to Lihue I believe

http://vacationbookings.westjet.com/...ep=82&star=2.5

ps not a great hotel and mixed reviews but if limiting cost is important its alright but in a pretty good location.

Go to Kauai and you'll be lining up to thank me.
Thanks Replacement.

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

The service industry in the Dominican Republic has gone downhill pretty bad. The (president?) of that Country has taken it upon himself to deport those of Haitian descent en masse, and unfortunately, they made up the bulk of the service industry. It's not the same place anymore, I'm not sure if you remember but there was a story a few weeks ago of two Canadian women who were accosted by resort security in their own resort.

Mexico is pretty okay. I've only been once and I'll never go back. I've never been to Cuba so I can't comment on that. I've also been to Costa Rica, and we stayed off resort in a little surfing village called Hermosa, and honestly, that was the best experience I've ever had in central America.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Thanks Replacement.
You're welcome. Just to wet your appetite a list of some of the gorgeous films that have been shot on Kauai. Basically a film makers paradise because beautiful backdrop and scenery is guaranteed and pretty much from any angle. The odd thing about Kauai is everybody has seen it, everybody recognizes it, but without perhaps realizing it. That's the effect of the countless Movie/TV productions filmed there.

http://filmkauai.com/movies-made-on-kauai/

To me when you travel its not about where you're staying, its about where you're going. Theres lots of beauty to go to in Kauai.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-17-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old
02-19-2014, 03:46 PM
40oz

Thought this was hilarious...
Ashley Wagner (famous for this great gif) posted this on twitter:

Seems like Frolik has a new fan hahaha

Last edited by 40oz: 02-19-2014 at 03:52 PM.
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Dave

Quote:
Thanks Replacement.
Thinking of going to hawaii? Watch out for the locals.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Hi everyone,

Is anyone from Peace River, Alberta here?

My friend is moving there. Any tips about Peace River?

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Thinking of going to hawaii? Watch out for the locals.

Meth is a hell of a drug I guess.

Too bad the Reagan and Bush administration waged the war on Maui wowie and basically eradicated any grow supply on the islands and now the drugs of choice are crap like meth and crack. Go figure.

No way that family would be dealing with any of this with some local with a good skunk buzz on.

Anyway things are changing on the islands but kind of what you get when all of mainland has dreams of moving to the islands. pushes up real estate prices astronomically, spoils much of the islands with developments, golf courses, resorts encroaching on the beauty one bay after another.

My own approach to Hawaii is to visit it, not to possess or own it. The millions of people trying to own Hawaii are perhaps being part of the problem. That Hawaii real estate program is a nice looking dream that a lot of people seem to be chasing but maybe it should only be a dream.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-22-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old
02-24-2014, 01:12 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

vCash: 50
For fun I went on kijiji to look for phones, almost every second ad is someone selling their phone with Flappy Bird on it in the thousands.

smh

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/ed...ationFlag=true

Really hope someone doesn't get suckered into buying one when downloading the flappy bird .apk is just as easy as going to the app store lol.

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:09 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
For fun I went on kijiji to look for phones, almost every second ad is someone selling their phone with Flappy Bird on it in the thousands.

smh

Really hope someone doesn't get suckered into buying one when downloading the flappy bird .apk is just as easy as going to the app store lol.
I thought that app didn't exist anymore that's why phones are going for so much with it?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:20 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I thought that app didn't exist anymore that's why phones are going for so much with it?
Well yeah, I guess I mis-worded my original post. But who in their right minds would be suckered into buying one?

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:24 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Well yeah, I guess I mis-worded my original post. But who in their right minds would be suckered into buying one?
Suckers.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 03:41 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Paco de Lucia passed away yesterday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/paco-de-...t-66-1.2551717

I had the good fortune to see him live a few years ago.

RIP.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:

I have been to one resort located in Cabos San Lucas, Mexico on the southern tip of the Baja California Peninsula off the Pacific Ocean. I really enjoyed my time there and I would go back again if I could. I paid about $1774 for the whole trip but it was during Christmas, when it usually is more expensive.

One tip of advice I was given in picking a resort, remember that 5 star resorts in any tropical place is usually a 3-4 star hotel in Canada/US. Don't pick anything lower than 3 star. You might regret it.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Slats432

Guys, as you can see in my signature, my son Kevin is in the ATB Show your stuff contest. The deadline is tomorrow at noon, so if you would be so kind as to vote for Kevin, that would be great. (Winner gets a meet and greet with Eberle.)

Slats432 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Guys, as you can see in my signature, my son Kevin is in the ATB Show your stuff contest. The deadline is tomorrow at noon, so if you would be so kind as to vote for Kevin, that would be great. (Winner gets a meet and greet with Eberle if he doesn't get traded before trade deadline.)
Sorry, had to add that lol. I voted.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Sorry, had to add that lol. I voted.
I said that to my wife yesterday, and that look of sheer confusion came on her face. (From years past we have a signed Eberle puck, and he bought an Eberle rookie card to sign) So, if Eberle by chance got moved, I think it would be interesting to see what they would do.

And thanks for voting.(And anyone else who voted) Ends today at noon, and it looks like he is a lock to win.

Slats432 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Dabomb

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nded-1.2555762

Edmonton warehouse attack leaves 2 dead, 4 wounded

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nded-1.2555762

Edmonton warehouse attack leaves 2 dead, 4 wounded
3 hours later they got the guy thanks to the public. Take that ******* off the streets!

Old
02-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
3 hours later they got the guy thanks to the public. Take that ******* off the streets!
Well, okay, not too much to cheer on IMO... 2 people killed and 4 more injured. Let's not pat ourselves on the back for something like this yet, it's what should be done.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote