HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Will the Combines make any differance in who we draft?

Old
02-14-2007, 12:07 AM
rockinghorse

vCash: 500
Will the Combines make any differance in who we draft?

There are tests for strength and stamina. The fat gets pinched and muscles or lack of is noted. The boys are looked at without their shirts. To see body, bones and potential for growth They are interviewed.

Will this influence their draft position?

rockinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimie View Post
There are tests for strength and stamina. The fat gets pinched and muscles or lack of is noted. The boys are looked at without their shirts. To see body, bones and potential for growth They are interviewed.

Probably.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:47 AM
koncepts

Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimie View Post

of course it plays a part if it didnt why would they do it

koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncepts View Post
of course it plays a part if it didnt why would they do it
I think that it was more of a rhetorical question for the purpose of generating discussion. It's a good idea for a topic, IMO. We know that it'll play a factor, possibly for the Kings. If, for example, Kane shows that he can bench-press 300lbs like Cammalleri, then that could go a long way toward dispelling fears over size. If, on the other hand, he can barely do 100lbs, then that might add to the concerns. We really don't know how things will go, but I think that pointing it out as a variable, as Aimie has done, is a good addition to the discussion and a worthwhile thing to speculate about.

Last edited by Osprey: 02-14-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Venom_17

Kane better hope that he hits puberty before the combine rolls around.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:34 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Kane better hope that he hits puberty before the combine rolls around.

why? Briere obviously still hasn't.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:35 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

A guy named Gretzky finished dead last in every strength training exercise at every training camp he ever attended and he had a pretty decent career....just sayin'.

And no, I'm not talking about Brent.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:40 AM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
why? Briere obviously still hasn't.
, good point.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:03 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Lombardi will draft a major junior kid, I guarantee it.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:41 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Not a whole lot. It's not as crucial as the NFL combine. The main thing that a lot of GM's look at are the interviews. It was the interviews in 05 that sold Burke on Ryan over Johnson for example.

Kessel threw up last year during the combine during the bike excercise, and couldn't even do 5 reps of 180 lbs(I think that's the weight they test them with) during the bench press.

The poor showing did not seem to effect his draft stock too much. While he was one time hailed as the "American Sidney Crosby" by the time he finished his season at Minny and not produced "eye popping" numbers his stock had already fallen a bit.

Since we like to talk about Kane(Spongebob specifically) I can tell you that he won't do that great on the bench, but could make that up with a really solid bike and sit-ups(the endurance testing). However, the main thing with a kid like him will be the interviews. This will address any character questions/issues(if he has any), that many team may or may not no about.

Personally, I think if they're going to do an NHL combine, they really should do it as more of a skills competition. Strength and conditioning are great, but getting some raw numbers(other than from the top prospects game) would help scouts to get an even clearer picture

Last edited by Legionnaire: 02-14-2007 at 04:55 AM.
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:46 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Nice little article on the combine and what the scouts are really look at.

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/te...rts/1903.0.php

Quote:
This event certainly provides the teams with a chance to see these guys off the ice,” said Brandon Pridham, Manager of Central Scouting. “A big part of it is the interviews that go along with the fitness testing. The teams will meet with these guys one-on-one and have their strength and conditioning coaches down here watching them, while the teams are up in their rooms with their psychologists talking to other players and seeing what they are like off the ice. Everybody sees them with their equipment on all year and this provides them with a really good chance to see them without it. So, it’s very valuable for them.”
Quote:
“It gives us the opportunity to see the guys from a different perspective. When you’re going through a draft, you want to cover every base,” said Penguins strength and conditioning coach Stephane Dube, who was busy throughout the event jotting down notes in a portfolio. “That’s one of the reasons why I am here – to give the scouts what my thoughts are on different guys that we think could make it physically, the potential these guys have to make it to the NHL in the near future.”
Quote:
“We’re looking at general performance. Yes, we’re looking at the numbers they are giving, but also the way the guys are handling themselves through all the testing and how they want to compete because the winning edge is not only on the ice,” Dube said. “We’re looking to see if guys going through the testing want to be the best they can be. We’re also looking at the physique they have and if they can get stronger and all those little details that give us information about what type of player they are going to be in four or five years from now.”
Quote:
“It’s really good. It gives you the chance to see a lot of players in a few days. It’s also good for the strength coaches because we had our meetings [with the NHL] and talked about what we’re going to do to improve the combine and how we can improve the testing and all those little details that help us do a better job,” Dube said. “The league is really open to how we can make this event even better. It’s really fun for us because they are open-minded and want to improve.”

Old
02-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Kessel threw up last year during the combine during the bike excercise, and couldn't even do 5 reps of 180 lbs(I think that's the weight they test them with) during the bench press.

The poor showing did not seem to affect his draft stock too much.
I was going to say the same thing, and point out that Toews was just as mediocre, but then I found one of the old articles and it reminded that college players, in general, didn't perform well because they hadn't played in months. I think that that's why conditioning problems didn't affect the stock of Toews and Kessel much (if any).

Old
02-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I was going to say the same thing, and point out that Toews was just as mediocre, but then I found one of the old articles and it reminded that college players, in general, didn't perform well because they hadn't played in months. I think that that's largely why Toews and Kessel were given passes on their conditioning problems.
I don't think they were given passes based on that as much as on their talent. I mean, yeah, you're not in peak shape after a month off, but still should be in really good shape for a 17/18 year old; and there's no real way to excuse not being able to put up 180 more than 5 times.

Old
02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Reaper45

180, 5 times? ****, I'd do 180 like 30 times. But as soon as we started skating, I'd throw up too.

Old
02-14-2007, 11:26 AM
johnjm22

Cammy can bench 300? I'm thoroughly impressed.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:02 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
180, 5 times? ****, I'd do 180 like 30 times. But as soon as we started skating, I'd throw up too.
Ya it is kind of sad that he can not do that yet at the same time doesn't mean he isn't strong. In theory/reality some of the strongest people or most ripped people never even touch weights the entire time in their exercise. Also doing 150 30 times correctly is A LOT harder then say doing 250 a few times. Some people are power some are endurance. Furthermore some people are just not great at maxing or doing a lot of weight but do what they do correctly and are stronger/more ripped then anyone else doing more weight.

Also I think the interview can effect some players greatly. The biggest case can/could be Cherepanov. Figure out what his intentions are with coming over, money, etc.

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Matt13

all this strength and conditioning talk has got me thinking..........

chocolate cake.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Cammy can bench 300? I'm thoroughly impressed.
Yeah, a few years ago at training camp, little Mike benched more than anyone else on the team. I think that that's an important part of why he's been able to survive in the NHL. If you're 5'10" or under, you need to compensate by being built like a tank.

Old
02-14-2007, 07:56 PM
jobberdobber

Quote:
Yeah, a few years ago at training camp, little Mike benched more than anyone else on the team. I think that that's an important part of why he's been able to survive in the NHL. If you're 5'10" or under, you need to compensate by being built like a tank.
I think he started lifting weights at a young age also. That definatly stunted his growth. If you look at him. Hes got a normal top half. And his bottom half is short. Its pretty funny actually. No wonder my pops use to wack me if I lifted weights standing up when I was training.

jobberdobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
If you're 5'10" or under, you need to compensate by being built like a tank.
Ha, I'm 5'6, 230lbs. My max bench press is 445lbs. Do I qualify?