HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yeah re-sign Hemsky, bring back Gagner and then wonder why we're at the bottom of the league again. I would sooner have a guy like Hendricks or Clifford in tonight's game than Hemsky or Gagner. We have enough skill guys up front and besides Hendricks and Gazdic we don't have anyone to play physically on a consistent basis.
Do you honestly think replacing guys like Gagner and Hemsky with guys like Hendricks and Gazdic is an improvement or is this hyperbole?

Old
02-28-2014, 09:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I get the feeling that we'll have a disappointing deadline, like most other years.
I predict Weber, St. Louis, Kesler, Miller and Gagner all stay put.
I guess the trading of Moulson and Vanek will be exciting.
If people are really expecting a lot of guys with contracts to be moved then they really only have themselves to blame. The media has even said that most of the guys with contracts might be dealt, but it far from a sure thing.

Old
02-28-2014, 09:42 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 374
While I'm not a fan of blogger interviewing blogger on local radio I caught a clip of Lowetides show last night and it made sense to me.

Instead of just taking a mid-round pick for a guy like Hemsky, wouldn't we be better to try get a UFA and a pick for Hemsky?

NJ for instance do we take a 3rd rounder or maybe take a Ryan Carter and a 5th rounder? Give a guy a trial run. It's not like a 3rd is going to pay any dividends anytime soon, heck by the time a 3rd rounder turns out Hemsky might be out of the league.

Chicago with Bollig and a pick for Hemsky could work as well.

Old
02-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Gagner looked like **** last night. We'd be lucky to get a 2nd based on his play there.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:05 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Gagner looked like **** last night. We'd be lucky to get a 2nd based on his play there.
there was at least 5 forwards worse than gagner last night to be fair.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
there was at least 5 forwards worse than gagner last night to be fair.
Yeah and they wouldn't fetch more than a 3rd or 4th.

Not a good night for raising trade value.

We won't come out of this deadline with anything greater than a glorified plug or a 3rd rounder.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yes. The Oilers have to take some chances back there, Myers is as good of a reclamation project as any.

Gagner + Musil or something for Myers?
I'd take Myers too. I think a change of scenery would do him some real good. I still think he can be a top-pairing guy.

XXXX-Myers
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

Get him someone who can move the puck and solid defensively (Edler if we're dreaming out loud) and I don't think that's a half bad D.

02-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
tbh what was your response when you saw the a line composed of Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle?

I'm thinking fantastic disaster.

Gagner has been pure ***** this season but putting 3 guys together that don't check, don't battle for pucks, don't work corners together is mysterious.

But not any worse than putting 3 number 1 picks together on the same line against the Minny wild. Won't that be fun..yikes

ps In fairness to Gagner the 3rd period tip was a pretty good scoring chance. Really got all of it and a dangerous play.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Musashi

The only teams that will be interested in getting Gagner will be looking to buy very low

Trying to package him with our first rounder will result in a package that has less value than the pick by itself. Buffalo will want nothing to do with Gagner.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
tbh what was your response when you saw the a line composed of Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle?

Gagner has been pure ***** this season but putting 3 guys together that don't check, don't battle for pucks, don't work corners together is mysterious.

But not any worse than putting 3 number 1 picks together on the same line against the Minny wild. Won't that be fun..yikes

ps In fairness to Gagner the 3rd period tip was a pretty good scoring chance. Really got all of it and a dangerous play.
A line that wants to play itself off of this team?

Looks like we got some solid keepers instead.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:22 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

We are in the worst position. We can't succeed with players like Gagner and Hemsky, mixed with the guys we built around them. So we let them get down to their lowest value. But we still have to trade them because the team badly needs a new identity.

I'm one who's usually optimistic about these things. But say goodbye to Gagner Hemsky and Schultz, say hello to Clifford and 3 3rds.

The good thing about this cleanout is atleast guys like Pitlick, Lander, Fedun and Klefbom can get a real look. Let them play their hearts out.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:42 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
That would be stupid. You don't trade your best dman when your defense is this bad
What is with this attachment to Petry? If anything, he has regressed this season.
If you get a chance to trade for Myers without giving up any core players, you do it ten times out of ten.
Not only is he having a nice bounceback year (i wouldn't put too much stock into his +/-) but he still has loads of upside and as a righty, would nicely compliment all the lefties we have coming up through the system.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

If Myers is on the block, Eberle+Khaira might be a decent package for him.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:46 AM
dnicks17

Myers and Petry are essentially the same player right now minus Myers' Horcoff-sized contract.

There's a lot of people falling in love with the idea of Myers and not the actual Myers.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Myers and Petry are essentially the same player right now minus Myers' Horcoff-sized contract.

There's a lot of people falling in love with the idea of Myers and not the actual Myers.
Agreed. I would rather have Erhoff. Myers is just terrible.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:53 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

No, they aren't.
The only thing they have in common is inconsistency with the difference being that when Myers is on, he's leaps and bounds better than Petry.

I know that you're a big Petry fan, but i honestly don't see what you and some others see in him. I see a player who now has more bad games than good, who has completely abandoned the physical game that he was starting to show the previous 2 seasons, can't get the puck out of his own zone and never hits the net with his shot.

Myers is a bit of a reclamation project and i'm not sure that i would part with somebody like Eberle or the 2014 1st rounder for him, but if the package if Gagner+Petry, i think it's a no brainer and a very worthwhile gamble to buy low.
I don't know why some of you are saying that Myers is terrible. Unfortunately, i've been watching a lot of Buffalo games this season for Oilers draft purposes and Myers has played well more often than not and certainly doesn't suck like some of you are saying.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Myers is a bit of a reclamation project and i'm not sure that i would part with somebody like Eberle or the 2014 1st rounder for him, but if the package if Gagner+Petry, i think it's a no brainer and a very worthwhile gamble to buy low.
Taking on a reclamation project with a $5.5 million contract until eternity at the cost of your #2C and nominal #1D is not buying low in any sense of the term.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Do you honestly think replacing guys like Gagner and Hemsky with guys like Hendricks and Gazdic is an improvement or is this hyperbole?
For THIS team yes. We have too many of their types of player on THIS team and not enough of guys like Hendricks and Clifford. For a team like say Nashville I would probably prefer Hemsky and Gagner due to what they have and don't have there. Think about this for a minute we are paying $9.8 million in cap for these two this season for 101gp. 13-35-48 and a -33 with 51 hits from these two combined.

That is fugly. When they aren't scoring they aren't helping this team win, they aren't giving the team a spark and they aren't wearing down the opposition. We have too many of those types as it is and Gagner and Hemsky are the first 2 of that group that needs to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I'm sure this is what the Wild were thinking.

02-28-2014, 12:01 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
No, they aren't.
The only thing they have in common is inconsistency with the difference being that when Myers is on, he's leaps and bounds better than Petry.

I know that you're a big Petry fan, but i honestly don't see what you and some others see in him. I see a player who now has more bad games than good, who has completely abandoned the physical game that he was starting to show the previous 2 seasons, can't get the puck out of his own zone and never hits the net with his shot.

I don't know why some of you are saying that Myers is terrible. Unfortunately, i've been watching a lot of Buffalo games this season for Oilers draft purposes and Myers has played well more often than not and certainly doesn't suck like some of you are saying.
That's Myers to a T.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Musashi

Quote:
No, they aren't.

Gagner and Petry will not get you close to Myers. Myers has more value and more potential than Petry but right now, there really isn't too big of a difference in the impact these two players are playing on their teams. Both lack the consistency due to playing in roles above their heads.

Petry is the only defenseman on this team to show any success in carrying his own pairing while everyone else on this team can only compliment one. Replacing Petry with Myers and making him take the #1 defensive position on this does nothing to net any positive results.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:02 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
has anyone bashing Myers even watched him this season? besides miller he is the only bright spot on the whole team. he is already a great dman and still has the potential to be Elite.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:03 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Taking on a reclamation project with a $5.5 million contract until eternity at the cost of your #2C and nominal #1D is not buying low in any sense of the term.
Buffalo fans dont seem to see Myers as a reclamation project.... saying he's turned a page under Nolan. If Myers is available I want him I'd put Petry+ Yakupov or 1st on the table for Myers+Foligno

Old
02-28-2014, 12:05 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
It's a risk for sure, but the Oilers are going to need to take risks at some point to further the process. I really like what i've seen of Myers this season and think that he's on the cusp of getting back to his form of several seasons ago. Those who think otherwise, haven't seen much of him this season or just make a judgment based on +/-.

I'd rather package Gagner in a deal for Myers than for Clifford and Petry being a #1D here means very little. I'm not a fan at all of the player that Petry has turned into and i came into this season thinking that he was a bit underrated but not anymore.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Lindo

Ehrhoff would do wonders for this team. A legit top-pairing guy, probably could go Ehrhoff-Petry but realistically he's not gonna waive for Edmonton.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Buffalo fans dont seem to see Myers as a reclamation project.... saying he's turned a page under Nolan.
If he's playing well under Nolan, why would Buffalo trade him? And how would we know he'd maintain that level of play here in a tougher conference with a different coach?

Let's not forget he's looked good before (which is how he ended up with such a ridiculous deal in the first place) and then fallen off a cliff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
For THIS team yes. We have too many of their types of player on THIS team and not enough of guys like Hendricks and Clifford.
This team has plenty of bad hockey players, they don't need more.

If we were talking about guys with size and some snarl who can play a competent two way game, that's a different story. Replacing top sixers with third and fourth liners doesn't end well (or do you not remember JFJ on the first line?)

Closed Thread