HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XIX)

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I'm kind of on the fence about it myself, but the point I would put to you I this:

How much is the playoffs worth to you? IMO a better goaltender will get us there, would it not be worth trading the first for it?

I mean we can be as high minded as we like about not trading valuable assets for goalie...but the fact is that it does happen. Unless your trying for inexperienced tenders...and that can be a real risk.
Even with a top goalie, I'm not sure the Jets will make the playoffs. They have a brutal schedule and a bunch of other teams that they need to navigate through.

So, I would definitely trade a first round pick simply to try to get into the playoffs.

I also think that without a 2nd round pick, the Jets need to hang onto their first this year to keep the pipeline filled with quality prospects. A top 12-14 pick this year should yield a very strong forward prospect.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
@DarrinBauming: #NHLJets scouts among. RT @JoshuaCooper: Tonight's scouting manifest... 13 listed http://t.co/5eEiUNa2rW

Something up between Winnipeg & Tampa?
.... or maybe just scouting for tomorrow's game against the Predators. It is a pretty key game.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
.... or maybe just scouting for tomorrow's game against the Predators. It is a pretty key game.
I am pretty sure for team scouting they watch video. Usually an in person scout is there to focus on 1 or 2 players

Old
02-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 50
Quote:
They had 2 scouts watching our game we had 2 watching theirs. Could be coincidence. Just interesting.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
This is what I thought in the Trade Deadline thread.
Get Kucherov and Namistnakov and bring back Burmi for an all russian OV line

Old
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Get Kucherov and Namistnakov and bring back Burmi for an all russian OV line
That would be great.

I do like Palat and Killorn though.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
I like Purcell, but I would rather one of the younger guys. The TB board really wants to get rid of Purcell.
Tampa fan looking for some more info on Big Buff value here and will answer on the Tampa Comments:

Purcell is a great player, but he doesn't fit our system anymore and isn't a player that is gonna succeed in a team with a Deep offense. He brings playmaking, points and good Zone entering. But thats all he can. For a team looking to get more offense amazing, for a team like Tampa that does not have to look for offense not so good, cause a defensivly responsible winger is a far better us for us.
We have those guys waiting in the AHL, so he does take away there spot...

Palat, Kucherov and Koekkoek are absolutly no Starters at this point for Tampa and we would most likely need to get a really really great offer to consider trading Johnson or Namestnikov just for the high ceiling (both have average first line center ceiling IMO), but we will soon have to many Centers, so We might be willing to trade either within two seasons.
Killorn is the one we would most likely trade first. Last year he was untouchable, but Palat and Johnson really outplayed him, so I could see him gone for the right guy. Absolute 200 foot player, can EVERYtHING, but isn't exceptional well in anything. But definitly a player many teams would love to have.

Panik and Connolly are available, but there are questionmarks around there future. But Panik should be able to at least find his niche on the third line die to his playing style, Connolly will be either top6 or bust.

Last edited by Jacko95: 02-28-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old
02-28-2014, 11:06 AM
troubabooster
Bring on the saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Tampa fan looking for some more info on Big Buff value here and will answer on the Tampa Comments:

Purcell is a great player, but he doesn't fit our system anymore and isn't a player that is gonna succeed in a team with a Deep offense. He brings playmaking, points and good Zone entering. But thats all he can. For a team looking to get more offense amazing, for a team like Tampa that does not have to look for offense not so good, cause a defensivly responsible winger is a far better us for us.

Palat, Kucherov and Koekkoek are absolutly no Starters at this point for Tampa and we would most likely need to get a really really great offer to consider trading Johnson or Namestnikov just for the high ceiling (both have average first line center ceiling IMO), but we will soon have to many Centers, so We might be willing to trade either within two seasons.
Killorn is the one we would most likely trade first. Last year he was untouchable, but Palat and Johnson really outplayed him, so I could see him gone for the right guy. Absolute 200 foot player, can EVERYtHING, but isn't exceptional well in anything. But definitly a player many teams would love to have.

Panik and Connolly are available, but there are questionmarks around there future. But Panik should be able to at least find his niche on the third line die to his playing style, Connolly will be either top6 or bust.
Like I said on the trade forum discussion, I think you guys definitely need a guy like Buff for your PP & he would be sorely missed for that contribution here (not sure how or if we could replace his 20 points in 28 PP goals!!). I love Buff, but his talents are wasted at forward unless he is put with more skilled line-mates. On defense, he had unreal advanced stats, but all that people remember are his occasional giveaways. Jury is still out whether he is better at forward or D, but has extremely strong points at either.

We definitely won't give a guy like that away. Not sure if Purcell is the guy we build on for a return. If we're doing the deal now (at the deadline) we need a top 6 back so don't know that Purcell is that guy.

You proposed Purcell + a first on the trade (ignoring the goalie swap which we can't do now because we need Montoya for the stretch run and Lindback won't work for us). Whether we can do the deal depends on what that + is -- some of the guys you say are off the table would have to be considered.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Huffer

Quote:

Thanks for your reply, very well explained. Troubabooster seems to be ok with moving Buff and getting Purcell +. I would not. I wouldn't say no to Purcell on the Jets, but I wouldn't have him as a piece (not a main one) in a Buff trade myself.

If TB wanted Buff (not saying they do), some of those untouchable guys would have to be involved (for me anyway). A player like Buff doesn't get moved for players that are getting passed over by other players in that teams system.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:43 PM
bazaaa*

I much rather have Buff on this team in his new role than strictly defense. I was all for trading him in the past, now I don't mind him where he is. I'd like to see him somehow get more ice time. We seem to have three pretty solid lines. Defense could use a small upgrade. But I'm pretty comfortable with this team goign into every game.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
I much rather have Buff on this team in his new role than strictly defense. I was all for trading him in the past, now I don't mind him where he is. I'd like to see him somehow get more ice time. We seem to have three pretty solid lines. Defense could use a small upgrade. But I'm pretty comfortable with this team goign into every game.
I'm actually pretty comfortable with Buff in his current role as well. Tonnes of utility with him there. Helps improve our forwards, but can also play D on 4 on 4 and the PP. Plus, he could go right back to D if someone gets hurt.

That being said, as Lawless alluded to last night, if some team gets interested enough and offers enough I think Chevy would listen.

Which is why, if TB is the discussion point, I wouldn't be looking for Purcell +. They would need to offer pieces that really make it so I can't say no.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Every time we talk about Chevy trading Buff, I think of this article I read about him in Chicago and how his son would react now....

At the NHL entry draft in Los Angeles, Cheveldayoff and his boss, Chicago GM Stan Bowman, struck a deal to send several of the team's looming contract problems, including blossoming forward Dustin Byfuglien, to the Atlanta Thrashers for future picks and prospects that helped Chicago stay within the cap.

Cheveldayoff thought he'd had a great and successful day, and shortly after midnight returned to the hotel suite he had rented for his family to join him.

I opened the door, Cheveldayoff remembers, and out of the dark my son suckers me to the side of the head and says, I can't believe you traded Buff!'

Old
02-28-2014, 01:15 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Any thoughts on the Jets going after Christian Ehrhoff?

Buffalo sucks, but he is among their best players, plus he is a relative bargain.

His cap hit is big, but his actual salary for the remaining 8! years of his deal are:
$4,000,000
$4,000,000
$4,000,000
$3,000,000
$1,000,000
$1,000,000
$1,000,000

That isn't horrible money for any team that won't be pressing the Cap.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:17 PM
troubabooster
Bring on the saviour

Quote:
I'm actually pretty comfortable with Buff in his current role as well. Tonnes of utility with him there. Helps improve our forwards, but can also play D on 4 on 4 and the PP. Plus, he could go right back to D if someone gets hurt.

That being said, as Lawless alluded to last night, if some team gets interested enough and offers enough I think Chevy would listen.

Which is why, if TB is the discussion point, I wouldn't be looking for Purcell +. They would need to offer pieces that really make it so I can't say no.
I agree that Purcell does not seem to be the top 6 we would need coming back as a starter for trading Buff. Seeing a couple proposals from our guys saying they'd trade a first for Purcell, however, and there is no way I'd do that either.

The thing about Buff is he is nearing the end of his contract (not sure if its one more year after this one), & he's no longer a young pup. Playing like he does, and in the shape he often plays at, I can't see him getting better & there could be a big fall off soon.

I think a fall-off is already starting to show so in my mind Chevy has to make a big push to trade him in the offseason or at the draft. Failing that, he'll be nearing the end of his contract next year & his value will plummet significantly.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:21 PM
troubabooster
Bring on the saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

Buffalo sucks, but he is among their best players, plus he is a relative bargain.

His cap hit is big, but his actual salary for the remaining 8! years of his deal are:
$4,000,000
$4,000,000
$4,000,000
$3,000,000
$1,000,000
$1,000,000
$1,000,000

Problem with Ehrhoff is he's 31 and he's Buffs best offensive defenseman. Can't see them giving him away & at 31 not sure he works into our long-term plans.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Whileee

Quote:

$4,000,000
$4,000,000
$4,000,000
$3,000,000
$1,000,000
$1,000,000
$1,000,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
Problem with Ehrhoff is he's 31 and he's Buffs best offensive defenseman. Can't see them giving him away & at 31 not sure he works into our long-term plans.
Enrhoff has a no-trade clause - he has apparently submitted a list of 8 teams on his "no trade" list. I expect that Winnipeg might be on that list.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:30 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Enrhoff has a no-trade clause - he has apparently submitted a list of 8 teams on his "no trade" list. I expect that Winnipeg might be on that list.
Might be, might not.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:48 PM
almostawake

Quote:

$4,000,000
$4,000,000
$4,000,000
$3,000,000
$1,000,000
$1,000,000
$1,000,000

The potential of recapture penalty makes him essentially untradeable from their point of view. If they were even willing to expose themselves to that risk, they would need a premium to be paid.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
I agree that Purcell does not seem to be the top 6 we would need coming back as a starter for trading Buff. Seeing a couple proposals from our guys saying they'd trade a first for Purcell, however, and there is no way I'd do that either.

The thing about Buff is he is nearing the end of his contract (not sure if its one more year after this one), & he's no longer a young pup. Playing like he does, and in the shape he often plays at, I can't see him getting better & there could be a big fall off soon.

I think a fall-off is already starting to show so in my mind Chevy has to make a big push to trade him in the offseason or at the draft. Failing that, he'll be nearing the end of his contract next year & his value will plummet significantly.
Agreed. I wouldn't even consider trading our 1st for Purcell (and said that on that thread).

I agree with most of what you are saying about Buff too. He'll soon be 29 and has 2 years left. His value will probably only get lower as his age goes up and years left on his contract go down. But that's how I think it goes for everyone. His health maybe a concern moreso than most I agree with you there.

I do think there is a premium on top pair D, and especially RHD though.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

it's good to hear a fans POV on this, but lets be honest. IF Tampa was looking for buff (and as others have said, that's not given at all) a player that quality doesn't move for just "b" selections. One of those higher end guys has to be in the discussion.

It's just how the game gets played.

FWIW i think buff would be amazing with Headman. Hedman's steady approach would really allow Buff to wheel.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
it's good to hear a fans POV on this, but lets be honest. IF Tampa was looking for buff (and as others have said, that's not given at all) a player that quality doesn't move for just "b" selections. One of those higher end guys has to be in the discussion.

It's just how the game gets played.

FWIW i think buff would be amazing with Headman. Hedman's steady approach would really allow Buff to wheel.
My thoughts exactly. When I first thought about TB, I really do think that Hedman and Buff would be a good pair.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:49 PM
BigZ65

I don't think we'd get a return good enough to move Byfuglien at the deadline...but I wouldn't mind being surprised.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:14 PM
troubabooster
Bring on the saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
I don't think we'd get a return good enough to move Byfuglien at the deadline...but I wouldn't mind being surprised.
Like many have said, TB and Wpg are pretty good trading partners.

I think they would also be very interested in trading for Montoya (Lindback's save % is really bad), but I'm not sure we could afford to ship him out at the deadline unless we can make a quick trade for anther back-up or unless we can call up a AHL goalie

Old
02-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Hero of Canton
My very own riot?

vCash: 466
Quote:
I don't understand why people always assume this. People all have different priorties when making decisions like this. Winnipeg has a crazy atmosphere as well as some solid pieces right now as well as developing for the future. They have a fairly new building, nice pratice facilities, and a downtown core that is being revitilized by the Jets being back in the area.

The city is a little on the smaller side with not as many things to do as some of the bigger markets but does have a lot of culture and a solid music scene. It is a great city to raise a family in but maybe not the greatest for younger guys.

What I am saying is there are lots of reasons why a player wouldn't want to play for the Jets but also lots of reasons to want to play for them. It really depends on the person so we really can't say all players would automatically put Winnipeg on a no trade list.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Canton View Post
I don't understand why people always assume this. People all have different priorties when making decisions like this. Winnipeg has a crazy atmosphere as well as some solid pieces right now as well as developing for the future. They have a fairly new building, nice pratice facilities, and a downtown core that is being revitilized by the Jets being back in the area.

The city is a little on the smaller side with not as many things to do as some of the bigger markets but does have a lot of culture and a solid music scene. It is a great city to raise a family in but maybe not the greatest for younger guys.

What I am saying is there are lots of reasons why a player wouldn't want to play for the Jets but also lots of reasons to want to play for them. It really depends on the person so we really can't say all players would automatically put Winnipeg on a no trade list.
Fair points. I agree that it would be a much better situation hockey-wise than at least 8 in the NHL.

I am a Winnipegger and obviously understand its charms and attractions, but these are not necessarily widely known. There is still quite a bit of ignorance out there.

Closed Thread