HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

which city would go cup crazy?

Old
02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
MayDay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
Try waiting 36 years. Try seeing your team get past the 2nd round only twice. Try seeing your team miss the playoffs for almost half of its existance.
Try seeing your team finally make it to the Stanley Cup finals only to be swept in 4 games by the New York Islanders. Try seeing your team finally make it back 12 years later only to loose to Mark Messier and the New York Rangers in the 7th game while your Captain Trevor Linden gave everything he had and was never the same player afterwards.
Try seeing your breakout team go up 2-0 against the Detroit Redwings in the 1st round then see Cloutier let in a goal from centre ice.. followed by 4 straight losses. Try seeing your team come back to win a series against the Blues next season after being down 3 games 1, only to blow a 3 games to 1 lead in the next round to the Minnesota Wild (suspect: Cloutier). Try seeing your star forward nearly kill someone on the ice, then be made into Hitler Part II by media from all around the world. Try trading away Cam Neeley only to have him become one of the best powerforwads of all time on another team. Try watching highlights of Gretzky breaking multiple records against your team, again, and again.. and again. Try being the only Canadian team around past the 90's not to have a Stanley Cup.

I could go on, but I will spare you.
Montreal's minor frustration at not winning the cup in 13 years doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what Vancouver Canucks fans have been through for over three decades.

If Vancouver wins a Stanley Cup, especially if said cup is won on Home Ice, you will see what happens when 36 years of frustration finally ends.

But the Canucks don't, and few people are even alive today that were around when it happened.
Buffalo's in the same boat. 36 years and counting.

That's why all the Habs fans whining about a 13-year drought is so funny. I've been waiting my whole life to see the Sabres hoist the Stanley Cup.

I've seen them make the playoffs many times. I've seen them lose the Stanley Cup on an illegal overtime goal. I'm still waiting for that championship. The pressure builds with each additional year waited. and when it finally does happen, and all that pressure is released at once, the city of Buffalo will explode.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:19 PM
BGMsax

My heart wants to say Pittsburgh but I've got to go with Buffalo
Have you guys ever won anything in any sport? Not trying to mean but with hockey and the Bills in the 90's that city would go nuts to see a trophy even one for World's Greatest Dad.

BGMsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:21 PM
mini-mite fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMsax View Post
... that city would go nuts to see a trophy even one for World's Greatest Dad.
they'll never get it

mini-mite fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:37 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMsax View Post
My heart wants to say Pittsburgh but I've got to go with Buffalo
Have you guys ever won anything in any sport? Not trying to mean but with hockey and the Bills in the 90's that city would go nuts to see a trophy even one for World's Greatest Dad.
The Bills won a couple of AFL championships before the merger with the NFL, but those don't really count for most people.

The Braves never won when they were in Buffalo.
Bills, nothing since the AFL-NFL merger (4 SB appearances).
Sabres, no Cups (2 Finals appearances).

Hey, at least Pittsburgh has won in the past. It wouldn't be completely unprecedented. The Steelers have won, the Pens have even has a dynasty. Even the lowly Pirates are 5 time World Series champions. Buffalo, on the other hand, has got nothin'.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
devilsfan26

Send a message via AIM to devilsfan26
It would have to be Toronto because of the drought they're in. This is why it wouldn't matter much to New York. They're still talking about 1994 like it was last year.

devilsfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Hemi-Cuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
Try waiting 36 years. Try seeing your team get past the 2nd round only twice. Try seeing your team miss the playoffs for almost half of its existance.
Try seeing your team finally make it to the Stanley Cup finals only to be swept in 4 games by the New York Islanders. Try seeing your team finally make it back 12 years later only to loose to Mark Messier and the New York Rangers in the 7th game while your Captain Trevor Linden gave everything he had and was never the same player afterwards.
Try seeing your breakout team go up 2-0 against the Detroit Redwings in the 1st round then see Cloutier let in a goal from centre ice.. followed by 4 straight losses. Try seeing your team come back to win a series against the Blues next season after being down 3 games 1, only to blow a 3 games to 1 lead in the next round to the Minnesota Wild (suspect: Cloutier). Try seeing your star forward nearly kill someone on the ice, then be made into Hitler Part II by media from all around the world. Try trading away Cam Neeley only to have him become one of the best powerforwads of all time on another team. Try watching highlights of Gretzky breaking multiple records against your team, again, and again.. and again. Try being the only Canadian team around past the 90's not to have a Stanley Cup.

I could go on, but I will spare you.
Montreal's minor frustration at not winning the cup in 13 years doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what Vancouver Canucks fans have been through for over three decades.

If Vancouver wins a Stanley Cup, especially if said cup is won on Home Ice, you will see what happens when 36 years of frustration finally ends.

But the Canucks don't, and few people are even alive today that were around when it happened.
i think Toronto's drought is worse. when you consider that the last time the Leafs won the cup they had a 1 in 6 chance of doing so, i consider them just as cupless as Vancouver and Buffalo. Montreal, Edmonton, and to a smaller extent Calgary have been the only successful Canadian teams since the NHL became a legitimate league and not a glorified tournament

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:00 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i think Toronto's drought is worse. when you consider that the last time the Leafs won the cup they had a 1 in 6 chance of doing so, i consider them just as cupless as Vancouver and Buffalo. Montreal, Edmonton, and to a smaller extent Calgary have been the only successful Canadian teams since the NHL became a legitimate league and not a glorified tournament
Winning 11 Cups in a 6/7/8 team league rates lower than winning 1 Cup in a 21 team league?

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:02 PM
MaximAfinogenov

It's safe to say that both Toronto and Vancouver would go absolutely bat**** insane if they ever win the cup.

Minnesota & Buffalo would go pretty nuts, likely more than any other American cities, but it's nothing like it is in Canada.

In Vancouver, just about everyone is a Canucks fan to some extent. We have no other major teams, we talk about the Canucks 24hours a day and we have had to live with mediocrity for 37 years.

The Stanley Cup to Vancouver is that unbelievably hot girl you've had a crush on since grade 3....and you then get to bang her on prom night

MaximAfinogenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAfinogenov View Post
It's safe to say that both Toronto and Vancouver would go absolutely bat**** insane if they ever win the cup.

Minnesota & Buffalo would go pretty nuts, likely more than any other American cities, but it's nothing like it is in Canada.

In Vancouver, just about everyone is a Canucks fan to some extent. We have no other major teams, we talk about the Canucks 24hours a day and we have had to live with mediocrity for 37 years.

The Stanley Cup to Vancouver is that unbelievably hot girl you've had a crush on since grade 3....and you then get to bang her on prom night
...except the Canucks are the President of the A.V and Glee clubs. And the Wings, Wild and Flames are those defensive linemen on the football team who will catch you fondling yourself to anime manga, and laugh at you and your loneliness for X amnt. of years.

SonicY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Form and Substance

I don't know if Toronto is the right answer in this case. Mind you it could very well be, but something tells me that it'd be a bit of a misleading axiom, if we the hfgospel come to a consensus that Toronto is, in fact the city that would go the most cup crazy.
Since all the most important media outlets in the country are situated there, well at least the ones that reach a national audience, a cup win would get EXTENSIVE coverage, to say the least, unmatched by any other canadian team. That already puts the rest of the field at an imposition. The coverage would spread like Aids and the rest of the country would be bombarded with images of raucous fans, dancing pigeons and fat washed up rock stars playing free concerts in brothels before promptly turning off the TV set. If you want to use that as a benchmark, then that could be used to your advantage.

As for Vancouver, it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to think that that riot was more a result of pent-up frustration and anger of having lost game 7 of arguably the most exciting Stanley Cup playoffs ever. I don't know why Canucks fans claim the city would go up in flames if they'd won. It's counter-intuitive to think so.You rioted because you were so close to winning but LOST.

I'm biased but I still think Montreal takes the cake, but by a small margin of course. It's as close to European soccer hooliganism as you'll get. Too bad we don't have our own 'firms'.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Bardo Thodol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
...except the Canucks are the President of the A.V and Glee clubs. And the Wings, Wild and Flames are those defensive linemen on the football team who will catch you fondling yourself to anime manga, and laugh at you and your loneliness for X amnt. of years.
you have issues.

Bardo Thodol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

The City of Buffalo is yearning for a championship. It'd be fun.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Boocock

Sabres would go crazy. All those Super Bowl appearances...Good lord. So much disappointment.

I know Pittsburgh and I know they would go crazy with a victory. But, no where near as much as other cities.

Toronto would go nuts.

Any of the Canadian teams would go nuts. I can see the reasoning for Vancouver.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote