HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2014, 11:43 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Reinhart looks to extend his 21 game point streak this weekend, facing Saskatoon on Friday and PA on Saturday. Blades are 3rd worst in GA, Raiders 7th.

And as far as comparables, I think Toews is a better comparison (though not as good a skater or as tenacious when carrying the puck). Sky high hockey IQ and excellent positioning. I suppose Nuge is a decent comparable as well.
As much as I love Nuge, part of me doesn't want another. I'm leaning towards Bennet because he has the grit that our top 6 is lacking. Either way if we get Ekblad I'll be ecstatic, if we get Bennet or Reinhart I will be happy.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Njoy Oilers

Really hope Oilers can draft someone who can actually think the game. I thought that was what we were getting with RNH. IMO he will long term turn into a good 2nd line C.

Oh yeah, and someone who doesn't fall down all the time.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
As much as I love Nuge, part of me doesn't want another. I'm leaning towards Bennet because he has the grit that our top 6 is lacking. Either way if we get Ekblad I'll be ecstatic, if we get Bennet or Reinhart I will be happy.
I'll be the first to admit I'm schizophrenic when it comes to this pick, fascinated with a different prospect every day, but ultimately that's a good thing. This draft was crapped on from the get go because it wasn't considered a deep draft. Somehow this gained enough momentum to perpetuate the myth that there are no dynamic or franchise players at the top of this draft. Laughable when I see what the top prospects in this draft are doing.

I was once in the Bennett camp, but find myself shifting back to Reinhart - and it has little to do with his current streak (though it doesn't hurt). It has much more to do with watching this god awful team every night and how many open looks the other team gets in prime scoring chances. Reinhart's positioning, anticipation and understanding of the game are at an elite level. He may not play with as high a motor or as physical as Bennett, but I'd prefer if my wingers did that while my center is taking away the middle of the ice. Therein lies the problem, we need bigger, more physical wingers on this team, but I think those are more attainable than an elite two way C, which is what I believe Reinhart becomes.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:57 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Really hope Oilers can draft someone who can actually think the game. I thought that was what we were getting with RNH. IMO he will long term turn into a good 2nd line C.

Oh boy are the Oilers ****ed if RNH tops out as a 2nd line centerman.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

At this rate that's probably going to be the case.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:00 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i really hope we can get the assets required to trade up into the 9-11 spot if Virtranen slides, coming out of the draft with Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett and JV would be awesome

Old
02-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Oh boy are the Oilers ****ed if RNH tops out as a 2nd line centerman.
He has underwhelmed since rookie season. Oh yeah, it's gotta be the shoulder surgery. That **** gets old fast. In this Org, even 1st round picks are a crap shoot.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:12 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
He has underwhelmed since rookie season. Oh yeah, it's gotta be the shoulder surgery. That **** gets old fast. In this Org, even 1st round picks are a crap shoot.
He's 20 years old and played what amounted to a little more than one season going into this year so i'd say it's a little premature to be complaining about him as an underwhelming pick.

Oh and RNH and Reinhart aren't the same player, not sure why some of you are saying that.
Reinhart's strength is his 2 way game and actually had some question marks about his offensive game if anything going into this season while RNH was more regarded as an offensive dynamo coming into the draft . Apples and Oranges.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Slats432

I just read this...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...014-nhl-draft/

If we end up with any of Ekblad, Bennett or even Ritchie, I think would be good. One scout compared Ritchie to Bertuzzi? That would be great.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Aerchon

Last night's weak game is a good indication that we will finish in the bottom 2.

However I still worry we will somehow pass at least one or 2 and them maybe lose a spot to a deeper lotto winner.

Which would take this season from disasterous to plaid level of terrible.

For me, I think to make this seasons pain even remotely worthwhile we need to get one of Reinhart or Ekblad.

Bennet would be a decent consolation prize but hardly enough given the Oilers state.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:44 PM
rockinghockey

As long as we get one of Ekblad a right shooting dman that we don't have in the system at all. He has the skill and size that we really need. Reinhart is the other player that I would want. He is 6"1" 186lbs. Listening to 1260 earlier this week Reinhart's father does not believe in weight training until the body is ready. He is 186lbs now so you know when he is working out that he will be about 205-210. I would be happy with that.

I would be really happy to get Ekblad and Reinhart. Could we trade Yak to Buffalo for the top pick. Buffalo could really use a top scoring winger. Would they do that I would.

Coming out of the draft with Ekblad and Reinhart would really help this team. Filling two huge holes.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:49 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
He's 20 years old and played what amounted to a little more than one season going into this year so i'd say it's a little premature to be complaining about him as an underwhelming pick.

Oh and RNH and Reinhart aren't the same player, not sure why some of you are saying that.
Reinhart's strength is his 2 way game and actually had some question marks about his offensive game if anything going into this season while RNH was more regarded as an offensive dynamo coming into the draft . Apples and Oranges.
I question how times you have actually watched him.

He is so similar to Nuge it's scary. They play very much the same game. Both more perimeter players with great vision. Like Nuge, he is great at winnig puck battles at the CHL level but will need years to bulk up in order to compete against men. They are basically the exact same size and play the same position....

To question his offence is also curious as he has outpaced Nuge at the same age. Albeit with more CHL experience.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post

He is so similar to Nuge it's scary. They play very much the same
I've only watched Reinhart once live and Hopkins a lot when he was in Junior.

There is most defiantly something similar between the two and the way they play the game.

But I notice Reinhart goes to the dirty areas much more than Nuge did back then and also Reinhart is much more tenacious at retrieving the puck/protecting the puck. Also positionally seems to focus slightly more to on the defensive side than Nuge as well.

I would also say Nuge was a solid step up on Reinhart for his offensive instincts and I think a better shooter as well.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post

He is so similar to Nuge it's scary. They play very much the same game. Both more perimeter players with great vision. Like Nuge, he is great at winnig puck battles at the CHL level but will need years to bulk up in order to compete against men. They are basically the exact same size and play the same position....

To question his offence is also curious as he has outpaced Nuge at the same age. Albeit with more CHL experience.
I would say i've seen Reinhart about 10 times and Nuge well more than that in his junior days.
They play a cerebral game but they go about it in different ways. Reinhart was much more advanced with his defensive game than Nuge was at the same age but not quite as dynamic offensively (i'm talking beyond the numbers and more based on the eye test). Also, Reinhart uses the middle of the ice more than Nuge does and has a more solid frame without a doubt.
Their skating styles are also very different. Nuge hunches over while Reinhart is upright and Nuge is a superior overall skater, especially with his edgework.

The consensus going into this season was that Reinhart was a very solid 2 way player but the scouts somewhat questioned his offensive peak. Nuge was always considered an elite level offensive player who would have struggles in other areas of his game due to his slight frame.
I don't really see the similarities tbh.
It's like comparing Datsyuk to Toews.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Aerchon

Nuge could and would make plays from absolutely nothing while fighting double coverage.

Reinhart just sticks with the play until something develops.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Musashi

Quote:
What do you expect from a 175 lb kid that is expected to go head to head against the likes of Kopitar, Getzlaf, Thornton, Hanzal, and Kesler on a daily basis. This team has done no service to his development throwing him into a role like that with no other top 6 center to take on tough matchups.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
What do you expect from a 175 lb kid that is expected to go head to head against the likes of Kopitar, Getzlaf, Thornton, Hanzal, and Kesler on a daily basis. This team has done no service to his development throwing him into a role like that with no other top 6 center to take on tough matchups.
Still not sure if leaving him in Juniors would have helped him.

Hind sight... sure maybe.

But he was thinking and doing the game at such a high level in Junior and the NHL when he first came in. Hard to say for sure if lost any development.

He might be 5 lbs heavier... Might be.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:

Yep, 20 years old. Potential is gone.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Dabomb

Management put these kids in a position to fail since Day 1 by not having any good veterans around to protect and lead them and then expecting these kids to lead this team at such a young age.

Old
02-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Still not sure if leaving him in Juniors would have helped him.

Hind sight... sure maybe.

But he was thinking and doing the game at such a high level in Junior and the NHL when he first came in. Hard to say for sure if lost any development.

He might be 5 lbs heavier... Might be.
Yeah, he proved pretty quick that he belonged in the bigs. It's hard to look back and say we should of sent him down. It's just unfortunate the only chance of winning a game this team has is playing RNH against the tough matchups and hoping he can still find a way to produce despite being completely over matched physically. Even though he's struggled, the job he's done has been pretty admirable.

They are different style of players but look at the way Colorado brought in Duchene and has been able to break Mackinnon into this league. Neither of those guys got thrown to the wolves like RNH has had and had more experienced guys taking the tough minutes until they could/can prove they can handle it. Those guys will continue to flourish from that.

Old
02-28-2014, 04:19 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Management put these kids in a position to fail since Day 1 by not having any good veterans around to protect and lead them and then expecting these kids to lead this team at such a young age.
Decent veterans not wanting to come here was what kicked this thing off in the first place. Hindsight being what it is, there was probably never any hope from the start.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:13 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:

I'm glad you don't evaluate talent professionally.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:19 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
If they're still in 29th with 5 games left I'll start cheering for losses. Those last 2 games last year did nothing for our confidence this year and cost us Monahan.
Not to knock Monahan, but I have a good feeling that Nurse will end up being the more important piece - circa 2017-2024

Old
02-28-2014, 05:22 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Also, once Gagner is dealt (likely right around the time of the draft), the Oilers have literally nothing in the organization that remotely resembles a long term top 6 C solution and as you said, there are plenty of solid close to NHL ready Dmen ready to make the jump.
What we need on defense is veterans capable of playing big minutes, not more rookies.

I would obviously be thrilled with Ekblad, but i think the need for a center in this draft is being understated by a lot of folks around here. There's a lot of Ekblad or bust or Ekblad then a big drop off sentiment and i couldn't disagree more with that.
It begs the question:

What is more important, a top pairing D man or a 2C behind a bonafide 1C?

From now until the draft lottery all we can hope for is to have the decision in our trusty ( ) scouts' hands

Old
02-28-2014, 05:38 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Possibly. But also possibly a short-sighted view on your part.

Let's say, in a gloriously optimistic world, we start winning and our young leaders finally become men in a league where they are amongst peers rather than elders.

And let's say we become true contenders. If these 'kids' have added confidence from a lengthy rough growth period where management threw them into the fire, we may look back on this time as necessary for our future success.

/|0|\
These goggles fit real nice

Closed Thread