HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
The thing is Myers is a RHS when we already have Petry-J.Schultz. I'd be fine with J.Schultz on the third pairing but management clearly thinks highly of him and I honestly don't know if the difference between Petry and Myers is that much of a difference.

The left-side is horrible though, Ference has been awful and should be relegated to the bottom pairing asap. Marincin has been fantastic but it's also way too risky to count on him for next year for the top 2 left-handed spots. Then N.Schultz/Belov/etc are all awful.
Just trade

Eberle, Petry and Joensuu for Myers, Erhofff and Ott(re-signed), the Oilers are in a much better spot then when they started.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Musashi

vCash: 500
The only players I view as non-starters in any trade on this team is Hall, RNH, Schultz and Nurse. Would also be very hesitant to move Khaira and more than one of Marincin or Klefbom too.

I hope Eberle is not included on MacT's untouchable list. Something's got to give between Eberle, Yakupov, and Perron to improve areas of weakness to help grow this team. I would look to move Eberle. I think he could command the best return but he is too one dimensional compared to Perron and Yakupov going forward and would be the last to go to war for this team out of the three.

Also trading a piece that everyone thought would be the face of the franchise for a long time would be a healthy dose of reality to this team that this is a business and the first real trade to command the MacT strut.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Mr Sakich

the attraction of Meyers is that he won a Calder. If you look at that year, he had decent zone starts yet his corsi was not good. He marginally had more goals for than against despite Miller have his best save % of his career. It was a career year for points but he is going to score 1/2 as many this year.

That year is looking more like an anomaly than a standard.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Dabomb

Ryan Kesler would be a perfect second line Centre for this team....

now i must go puke for just saying that.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the attraction of Meyers is that he won a Calder. If you look at that year, he had decent zone starts yet his corsi was not good. He marginally had more goals for than against despite Miller have his best save % of his career. It was a career year for points but he is going to score 1/2 as many this year.

That year is looking more like an anomaly than a standard.
Also the fact that he's huge and a good skater. But I agree the rookie year was an anomaly.

He's essentially regressed every year of his career. Now maybe he's a guy who needs a fresh start and can rebound. But I wouldn't trade an established top line forward like Eberle has been this season and the previous 2 for a guy who has such uncertainty in his career.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:21 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Also the fact that he's huge and a good skater. But I agree the rookie year was an anomaly.

He's essentially regressed every year of his career. Now maybe he's a guy who needs a fresh start and can rebound. But I wouldn't trade an established top line forward like Eberle has been this season and the previous 2 for a guy who has such uncertainty in his career.
Thats how I feel about it too. I honestly feel like Gagner isn't worth much less. a high draft pick who started well, and has shown some flashes but cant get it together. I would add to Gagner, but not much.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Lindo

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 2m
LeBrun "I think in June if Edm is willing to move RNH or Eberle they might be able to get out there and fix some issues"

Re: this

Yeah, move the best centre we have to fix some issues. LeBrun, what are you talking about? RNH and Hall are not going anywhere.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:34 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 2m
LeBrun "I think in June if Edm is willing to move RNH or Eberle they might be able to get out there and fix some issues"

Re: this

Yeah, move the best centre we have to fix some issues. LeBrun, what are you talking about? RNH and Hall are not going anywhere.
RNH is a complete non-starter for me, him and Hall are going no where. Eberle, I suppose I could move but I would be VERY hesitant to move him and only if we get really good value back.

Aside from that, I like everything else Lebrun had to say. "Decent traction on Hemsky" that's good, I think once teams decide if they are going to go after Vanek/Moulson Hemsky talks will come to the forefront with the teams who do not. Nice to see him mention N Schultz and Smyth as possible trade options for contenders too. Very glad to hear that the Gagner deal with LA fell through if in-fact the offer was for Clifford, not nearly enough of a return for him.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Spawn

I've got a feeling Ward ends up in Edmonton, probably not by the trade deadline, but in the offseason.

Not a fan of it, but it's a move I can see the Oilers making.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post

this is exactly how I feel. He is worth a chance but he is probably near what he is going to end up being which is a 3-4 guy making 5.5 per year.

Given our desire to compete now, I wonder if Klefbom for Meyers makes sense for both teams. IMO, Klefbom is 2 years away from being a very good NHL dman and that fits their schedule better than Meyers.

If Myers is actually available, he is not good enough to put a contending team over the top. He is still a project. That eliminates most teams who might have a very good prospect available for trade. Those teams probably want someone like Erhof who would contribute more this year.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
His inconsistency is worrying, don't get me wrong, but I do believe young D-man take more time to mature than forwards. I do think a change of scenery will do him good. Fixing consistency to me is something much more plausible than developing multiple tools.
Well, you did say he's doing well under Nolan, so maybe a change of scenery is a bad idea?

As for the maturity thing: nope, don't buy it. Look at some of the top D in the league today and look at when they broke in as impact players. Subban, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson were all legitimate difference makers at a young age. Point is, the fact Meyers is taking such a meandering path in his development suggests his ceiling is lower than I personally would like to see in a top pairing D.

Quote:
In a way I see this as being a reverse Dion. Phanuef flashed some talent early on for Calgary, his development somewhat plateaued, traded to Toronto and he's developed into a pretty good D-man. I think Myers can do that, except coming to the west from the east.
I don't think that trip ever ends particularly well.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post

I don't think that trip ever ends particularly well.
Well Pronger but that was ages ago.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:07 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I would be listening to offers for any player on the roster, TBH. Obviously Hall or RNH offers would have to blow my socks off, but I'd listen.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:10 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
RNH is a complete non-starter for me, him and Hall are going no where. Eberle, I suppose I could move but I would be VERY hesitant to move him and only if we get really good value back.

Aside from that, I like everything else Lebrun had to say. "Decent traction on Hemsky" that's good, I think once teams decide if they are going to go after Vanek/Moulson Hemsky talks will come to the forefront with the teams who do not. Nice to see him mention N Schultz and Smyth as possible trade options for contenders too. Very glad to hear that the Gagner deal with LA fell through if in-fact the offer was for Clifford, not nearly enough of a return for him.

Yeah exactly. Hemsky could fill a need for alot of teams in the playoffs or on the bubble and with the Oilers most likely being willing to retain a portion of his contract then there could be lots of options out there. You get a desperate GM on the phone at noon day of the TD and options have dwindled and I truly believe a 2nd + B prospect is what they could get for Hemsky.

For most of these teams there's a good chance he may not be a rental. With the cap going up lots of guys in FA are asking for some outrageous contracts. Hemsky is a guy who could still have alot of good hockey in him but you could probably talk him into a "value contract" if he likes where he lands, which would be pretty much any team not in the bottom 10

Old
02-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post

Why so hesitant on Eberle? He could definitely return a top 4 dman or a bigger bodied more defensive top 6 center. We would still have 3 offensive minded top 6 options on the wing in Hall, Perron, and Yakupov who all have more grit and battle in their games.

Issues need to fixed and you're right about RNH being a non-starter

Old
02-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
6yrs, $5.5M for Girardi, pretty solid deal for the Rangers, Callahan is gone now though.

Old
02-28-2014, 04:22 PM
SupremeTeam16

It's nice to see so many good young goalies emerging. Gives us lots of options in the summer. Even if they are unproven we just need to add a couple goalies with potential to the system who have some pro seasons under their belt.

A couple guys that come to mind:

Khudobin
Svedberg
Mazanec
Mrazek
Andersen
Kuemper
Griess

Old
02-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
6yrs, $5.5M for Girardi, pretty solid deal for the Rangers, Callahan is gone now though.
Term is a little scary. How many defensive d-men maintain a high level of play through their thirties?

It's the going price though so not much the Rangers can do. Good to get a guy they've developed locked up.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So with Lebrun reporting that Fasth could possibly be had from Anaheim, what would you give up for him?

A Scrivens-Fasth combo going into next season would be a pretty good situation in net imo.

02-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Aerchon

Trade Proposal. Just my hope not a rumor.

I would love to see the Oilers and Florida exchange some of their players.

Guys like Eberle, Yak, Hemsky, and Gagner. We just have too many of the small skilled forward.

Take some of thier bigger younger players. Bjugstad, Barkov, or even Shore.

Since they seem to be lacking scoring it should be a good trade for both.

Eberle and Gagner for Bjudstad and Shore?

Yak for Barkov?

Something should work with these two teams.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:20 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Well, you did say he's doing well under Nolan, so maybe a change of scenery is a bad idea?

As for the maturity thing: nope, don't buy it. Look at some of the top D in the league today and look at when they broke in as impact players. Subban, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson were all legitimate difference makers at a young age. Point is, the fact Meyers is taking such a meandering path in his development suggests his ceiling is lower than I personally would like to see in a top pairing D.
Wrong person with the Nolan thing. I didn't mention it.

Regarding the Maturity thing, the ones you highlighted are elite young talents. Your right, they kind of skip the struggling part. Myers, though I love his skills, probably wont be an elite D-man.

Guys like Coburn, Phanuef, Hedman(who had some mighty struggles), Cowen (this season) etc. Guys who are contributors to their team, but went through periods where they weren't consistent.

The reality we're facing is that we have far more holes on this team to fill than we have assets. At the end of the day, I'd love nothing more to fill up our D with guys who are rock solid, but I don't think that's a possibility through either FA or trade. Their is either a lack of players we can chase via FA (see the Girardi contract) or we lack the assets to make 2-3 impact trades. We might have to take a risk here or there. Granted we can spend assets on acquiring a partner for him that is legit, Myers I think could rebound here. Imo he has the talent to be a solid top-pairing guy. Maybe not the next Pronger many in Buf were proclaiming after his rookie year, but a solid all around guy.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So with Lebrun reporting that Fasth could possibly be had from Anaheim, what would you give up for him?

A Scrivens-Fasth combo going into next season would be a pretty good situation in net imo.
I would be interested, but I wouldn't give up too much. Fasth is not a starting goaltender. 30 career games for a 31 year old goalie who has played 5 games this year? Similar as to what the Oilers gave up for Scrivens. Nothing more.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Bergeron47

The most exciting part of the Miller-Halak trade is the fact that it means the Blues aren't signing Halak to an extension, meaning he'll be a UFA.
That's terrific news.

Old
02-28-2014, 06:00 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
The most exciting part of the Miller-Halak trade is the fact that it means the Blues aren't signing Halak to an extension, meaning he'll be a UFA.
That's terrific news.
Yeah, can't wait until one of the teams in our division snags him.

Old
02-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Alberta Oilfire

I could see Ward becoming an Oiler, hopefully he could rebound, as for Fasth, I'd like to think if he is available it would only cost us some playoff depth to Anaheim

Fasth for Hemsky at 50% or N. Schultz and Jones at 50%

Closed Thread