HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

GDT: Sharks @ Predators - 2.14.07

Old
02-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Stranger

vCash: 500
The Predators ran into tired San Jose team, but way to take advantage and get the job done tonight! I sadly wasn't there and didn't get to watch it.

Thoughts on Vishnevski?

Not as bad as I first thought for attendance tonight, all things considered. Frankly I don't care anymore and I doubt I'll try to explain things to some of the idiots on these boards anymore. Its almost taking the fun out of things really.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The Predators ran into tired San Jose team, but way to take advantage and get the job done tonight! I sadly wasn't there and didn't get to watch it.

Thoughts on Vishnevski?

Not as bad as I first thought for attendance tonight, all things considered. Frankly I don't care anymore and I doubt I'll try to explain things to some of the idiots on these boards anymore. Its almost taking the fun out of things really.
See my earlier post. Better than I expected, honestly. He was terrorizing Sharks players with huge open ice hits all night. Took a pretty nasty run at Marleau, but had to dive out of the way when Kariya skated over to the boards and very nearly took the hit himself. Grier was pissed, took out his anger, and received a four minute double minor. Made some smart defensive plays as well, in addition to the heavy duty stuff. A definite upgrade on Zanon, IMO.

Our PP was moving the puck a little better tonight, and we didn't do anything maddening...but it's still not quite good enough, as evidenced by our futility with it. PK was good against the NHL's best PP, though.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:19 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

PS: Vishnevski is ONE UGLY DUDE. Like...beyond Sillinger's catcher-mitt face...beyond Yachmenev's bulldog. He kind of looks like the Shermanator, to be honest.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:23 AM
irisheyes555

Quote:

Thoughts on Vishnevski?
the sharks seemed to go after him from the start, but he held his own. i wondered if the sharks were of the mindset to try and hit him first. vis tried to line up marleu but missed. grier got all bent out of shape and took it upon himself to defend the captian. grier went after vis with several crosschecks. the refs saw fit to give grier a double minor for his efforts.

vis had 2 hits and seemed to play well with the puck and move well w/o it. seemed to mesh good enough with the team considering the limited ice-time with everyone else. he made some good passes and plays and i don't remember any turnovers.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:39 AM
DarkShark*

Quote:
Thoughts on Vishnevski?
He's a cheap-shot artist.

DarkShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:05 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Happy Valentine's Day. I heart you all.

Yeah Preds!!! Great game all around. We had lots of jump in the first period. We actually had 2 shots in the first minute, haha. I think we outplayed them in the 1st, a little more even in the second, then we outplayed them again in the third. I never saw any urgency from the Sharks, especially after it was 3-0, the same kind of intensity was not there. I'm glad we were able to keep our energy up and play a full game.

Leggy finally at the 20 goal mark.

Great to have Weber back. Those were some big time blasts.

We did a great job keeping SJ shots low, they only had 22 shots!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Pred303

a stunningly easy, totally dominating effort. one of the things you love about this team is their ability to play poorly one game, and then come back and play a near perfect game the next time out. we've done that at least 4 or 5 times this year rebounding from a bad loss.

...right now, i'd be hard pressed to name one pred player that didn't play at least ok, and many had very strong games.
...defensively, legwand totally blanketed marleau who came into this game carrying SJ these past dozen games. and arnott in effect totally neutralized thornton... both with only one shot apiece, no real threats, and both -2 in the other end.
...stay out of the box, and there is no way SJS beats us even strength most nights. 5 even strength goals and a +25 as a team.

...where to even begin with the effort by our 7 d-men tonight? a super solid effort from everyone.
...visnevski played with the bad attitude i remember him having, and also the wild abandon in going after the big hits. he was trying to kill marleau there in the first, and missed succeeding by a foot. the guy is going to draw tons of hatred and attention from the opposition for sure, they better pay attention or he'll kill someone. a fine first game from the guy for sure.

...offcially there were four big hits in this game by us. two by vishnevski, and then two really good ones by zanon pinching along the boards at the neutral zone. two of the best ones i've seen the guy have this year.
...some funny, broken coverage goals scored by us tonight. the broken coverage from both of the weber goals, the erat goal and the legwand goal were all caused by us forcing them to scramble in their zone after some great puck possession play by the forwards in deep. we simply caused chaos, then took advantage of it all night.

...sullivan could easily have had 3 or 4 goals instead of being pointless. a breakaway. a crossbar. two great saves against him by nabokov. a shot 6 inches wide on an open net.
...hand it to erat. he had jump tonight. he made things happen all night. had a great pass on a 2 on 1 to kariya who shot it over the crossbar, and should have passed the puck to legwand on another 2 on 1 easily could have had a 4 point night himself, but he played a whale of a game.
...tremendous team effort. they couldn't stop our breakouts. they couldn't stop our puck possession. they couldn't forecheck our d-men. they couldn't break into our zone. they couldn't get to rebounds. they couldn't cycle and control the puck.

...kudos to vokoun, one of the more solid games he's played. looked comfortable and confident, and no wonder the way we were playing in front of him. one quick going down outside the crease almost cost him there in the 2nd again. but a fine overall, in control game.
...that's why i want to see weber on the point on our pp. the guy has the best shot we've ever had from the point. and he's a mere child.
...about the only negative thing to happen tonight was of course the pp's failure to get anything. we had several chances with the pp to put this game away early, could have come back to have bit us. hard to beleive our pp is struggling so with all this individual talent.

oh well, a great game. the team has teased us with some of these this year where we have looked absolutely unbeatable and like cup favorites (the ANA shutout, the redwing 6-2 whipping, the OTT 6-0 drubbing to name a few) add this one to that mix.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:27 AM
handtrick

Did Vishnevski remind anybody of a defensive Tootoo? Very solid game. The biggest difference between him and Witt is his discipline....only 31 penalty minutes this year.....and did you see the way he didn't retaliate against Grier, making sure to get the double minor.
I REALLY liked Zanon mainly in a PK role, and Zids mainly in a PP role...limiting the weakness of both....but definitely Zanon put on a few major hits....I am sure telling the coaches, not to pigeon-hole him into an ONLY PK role quite yet.

I agree with 303 with Webs on the PP point....he needs to be there...and that is why I feel Zids is the most expendable Pred at this point....4 shots on net the first period....nice to see him get rewarded with 2 sneeking through.

I really hope Forsberg signs in Philly.....that would be the best for us I feel.....we wouldn't have to mortgage the farm to get forward....,Tchuk the most likely in my mind......but maybe a playmaking center not quite on the radar screen, who knows.....and then Forsberg wouldn't disrupt the balance in the West. Don't get me wrong...I would love to see Peter the Great in mustard for the playoffs, but just not at the cost it will take, and I especially don't want to see him as a Duck or a Red Wing.

Nice to see Vokoun's confidence tonight, but at the same time staying disciplined on his wanderings......well, for the most part..

Great team effort.....maybe the best game we played all year.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShark View Post
He's a cheap-shot artist.
Good, then we'll have someone to counter some of the cheap shots we've been getting this year.

Old
02-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Stranger

Man, I love reading other team's game day threads. During the game, you're bound to catch all of these said at least once:

1 - Man their broadcast team sucks.
2 - lol @ thier arenna name; GAYLORD!!11
3 - those jersyes are fugly!!1
4 - i couldn't sit through their games, they play all country music
5 - their crowd is stupid, they're chanting and into the game
6 - omg they have country bands during intermission!

And to top it off, you combine at least one of these above with a witty attendance jab. For example:

lol @ thier areena name; GAYLORD!!11 no wonder tehy have no fans

Old
02-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I actually thought 13.8 wasn't too bad considering the circumstances. There were over 6000 tickets left on saturday, so almost 3000 were bought up before the game. Additionally, we probably had a few season ticket holders that had tickets but did not come.

What a dominating effort. We trashed the Sharks tonight. I would give them two legitimate shots on goal that had a shot at scoring. The other shots were low percentage, just put it on net shots that resulted in nothing.

Vishnevski can lay people out . You could tell that Zanon was adding extra intensity tonight. He is always fabulous on the penalty kill, but he had two HUGE hits. One of them was on Cheechoo.

Just think: We won 5-0, but Arnott missed an entirely wide open net on the PP (he shot it into the side of the net). Kariya had a wide open net and put it right into the back of Erat. Sullivan had a breakaway.......We could have easily had 8 goals or more.

02-15-2007, 09:30 AM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Did Vishnevski remind anybody of a defensive Tootoo? Very solid game. The biggest difference between him and Witt is his discipline....only 31 penalty minutes this year.....and did you see the way he didn't retaliate against Grier, making sure to get the double minor.
I REALLY liked Zanon mainly in a PK role, and Zids mainly in a PP role...limiting the weakness of both....but definitely Zanon put on a few major hits....I am sure telling the coaches, not to pigeon-hole him into an ONLY PK role quite yet.

I agree with 303 with Webs on the PP point....he needs to be there...and that is why I feel Zids is the most expendable Pred at this point....4 shots on net the first period....nice to see him get rewarded with 2 sneeking through.

I really hope Forsberg signs in Philly.....that would be the best for us I feel.....we wouldn't have to mortgage the farm to get forward....,Tchuk the most likely in my mind......but maybe a playmaking center not quite on the radar screen, who knows.....and then Forsberg wouldn't disrupt the balance in the West. Don't get me wrong...I would love to see Peter the Great in mustard for the playoffs, but just not at the cost it will take, and I especially don't want to see him as a Duck or a Red Wing.

Nice to see Vokoun's confidence tonight, but at the same time staying disciplined on his wanderings......well, for the most part..

Great team effort.....maybe the best game we played all year.
Most def agree with you, I really hope we don't pony up for Forsberg, who would more than likely be put on the third line with Hartnell and Radulov. I would much rather we go out and get a cheap UFA to be (I was thinking Armstrong before he was recently resigned by the Kings) who plays a good two-way game and has the speed to keep up with the rest of the team. We don't need anymore top line scoring, we need someone who can produce playing on the bottom lines.

Oh yeh and great game by the Preds yesterday.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Stranger

I'd still do the right deal for Forsberg. The playoffs will be a completely different season and when teams shut down our first two lines, having Forsberg on our third line would be hard for other teams to stop. He could easily be the difference in us winning a cup or not and given how small windows of opportunity will be in today's NHL, you have to go for it.

Old
02-15-2007, 11:19 AM
handtrick

Quote:
I'd still do the right deal for Forsberg. The playoffs will be a completely different season and when teams shut down our first two lines, having Forsberg on our third line would be hard for other teams to stop. He could easily be the difference in us winning a cup or not and given how small windows of opportunity will be in today's NHL, you have to go for it.
If the right deal is Radulov and two 1st rounders, plus another prospect if the bidding becomes frenzied.....[which is the latest wanted from Philly per a non-Eklund source].....I just don't want to have to go there.

Old
02-15-2007, 11:24 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
If the right deal is Radulov and two 1st rounders, plus another prospect if the bidding becomes frenzied.....[which is the latest wanted from Philly per a non-Eklund source].....I just don't want to have to go there.
What Philly wants and what Philly gets are two separate issues altogether. They may be demanding that we pay that, or they'll just keep him. If that's the case, I'm much more hesitant to go that route. Part of digesting such a large payment is that we keep him out of the hands of one of our biggest competitors. But if it's either coming to us or staying in Philly? Well, then the price paid is going to have to drop in my book.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:31 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
What Philly wants and what Philly gets are two separate issues altogether. They may be demanding that we pay that, or they'll just keep him. If that's the case, I'm much more hesitant to go that route. Part of digesting such a large payment is that we keep him out of the hands of one of our biggest competitors. But if it's either coming to us or staying in Philly? Well, then the price paid is going to have to drop in my book.
I agree...I would much rather him stay in Philly than for us to pay that price......BUT if DET or ANA ups the ante....the Preds may feel compelled to go there.....I hope not, but this is high stakes poker we are talking about here.