HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Rob Ray Rule

Old
02-14-2007, 06:58 PM
TheHoser

vCash: 500
The Rob Ray Rule

Ok, does anyone know whatever happened to the Rob Ray Rule? For those who don't know, the rule meant that anyone who deliberatly shook off pads or jersey or whatever in a fight would get an additional penalty (it's really unfair - if you don't have anything to grab on to, then you slide back when you punch and get nothing on then, making it an impossible fight).

I think it's still an official rule, but it never seems to be enforced... Cam Janssen is the one who comes to mind the fastest, every time I see him fight he always shakes off his elbow pads and his helmet and half the time loses his jersey too, and he never gets called on it. Is the rule still around?

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:59 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoser View Post
Ok, does anyone know whatever happened to the Rob Ray Rule? For those who don't know, the rule meant that anyone who deliberatly shook off pads or jersey or whatever in a fight would get an additional penalty (it's really unfair - if you don't have anything to grab on to, then you slide back when you punch and get nothing on then, making it an impossible fight).

I think it's still an official rule, but it never seems to be enforced... Cam Janssen is the one who comes to mind the fastest, every time I see him fight he always shakes off his elbow pads and his helmet and half the time loses his jersey too, and he never gets called on it. Is the rule still around?
I think once the 'combat' starts, you can shed whatever you want. As long as you don't drop the elbows prior to the fight beginning, nothing's wrong.

Janssen just fought Murray, and he didn't shake the elbows too early IMO if that's what you're referring to.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Only enforcable rule around that was that you got an extra 2 if you don't have the tie-down attached to your jeresy. If the sweater manages to get loose anyways it's same ol' same ol'

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:13 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Only enforcable rule around that was that you got an extra 2 if you don't have the tie-down attached to your jeresy. If the sweater manages to get loose anyways it's same ol' same ol'
Ya I think that is how it works. If you engage in a fight and lose your jersey without having a "tie-down" you are assessed an extra penalty.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:06 PM
kingsfann805

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
Ya I think that is how it works. If you engage in a fight and lose your jersey without having a "tie-down" you are assessed an extra penalty.
Yup, you get a minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and a game misconduct for not having your jersey tied down during a fight.

kingsfann805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:56 AM
ugrakarma

I'd assume that the new jerseys next year will be harder to pull off anyways. I could be wrong though just speculating.

ugrakarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:30 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yes it is. It was called the other day in a Canucks game (either the Atlanta or Chicago game).

It's probably one of the worst rules still on the books right now.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:37 AM
paxtang

Quote:

The rule is only for purposefully losing your jersey, which pretty much equates to not being tied down. Fighters are free to lose an elbow pad, I've never, ever seen anyone get a penalty for losing a pad.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfann805 View Post
Yup, you get a minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and a game misconduct for not having your jersey tied down during a fight.
In Darren McCarty's tenure as a Red Wing, it seemed like every time he fought a Blues player, his jersey was off in about 3 seconds, thus drawing 27 game misconducts in "Blues-Red Wings" games during that time.