HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Penguins already a top tier NHL side?

Old
01-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Clarence Beeks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttersnipe View Post
the smart money is on Ducks, Flames, Sabres etc.
Pretty sure there's some smart money on New Jersey as well.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

The Penguins have too many holes on the wings and defense to be considered top tier now. But if they make the playoffs, they will be a dangerous team to whoever underestimates their offense: top scorer in the league, 2 elite centers, and their best offensive defensemen are tied for 3rd in scoring for blueline tandems.

They won't win it all this year, but if they make the post-season, I could see them with an upset or two.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
even with a cap teams should put offers for max contracts in front of those two... and if they don't the NHLPA should charge collusion. they're too good...

Well that's pretty stupid, even if it is bravado.

Lionel Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:39 AM
tom_servo

Defense and experience are the biggest problem areas.

I'm not too concerned about production from the wings anymore. What was once a substantial void has been adequately filled by Malone, Staal, and Christensen. And the powerplay, previously a disappointment, has improved steadily into one of the most dangerous.

I'd be worried about MAF in net. He has notoriously struggled in playoff atmospheres, in juniors and the AHL.

Assuming the Pens maintain their current pace, I wouldn't see a need to look for anything else on the market other than a decent veteran on defense, if they want to make more than a cameo appearance. It would probably be a short stay, anyway; I'm sure a lot of the team, certainly a greater portion than most playoff teams, would simply be happy to be there.

Last edited by tom_servo: 01-29-2007 at 10:53 AM.
tom_servo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:48 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post

They won't win it all this year, but if they make the post-season, I could see them with an upset or two.
Hey, if they actually upset two teams, that would put them in the conference finals. And if you make it there, after beating two of the top seeds, you might as well be aiming for the Finals.

If they face Jersey in the first round, forget it. I could probably delude myself into optimism, but a sweep wouldn't surprise me. Buffalo presents a better matchup, but they're just too deep, and they'll be hungry.

I would hope for a Pittsburgh-Atlanta series. They would be the second-greenest team in the East, and they present a perfect matchup stylistically. The Penguins would have a legitimate chance.

Last edited by tom_servo: 01-29-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old
01-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo View Post
If they face Jersey, forget it. I could probably delude myself into optimism, but a sweep wouldn't surprise me.

I would hope for a Pittsburgh-Atlanta series. They would be the second-greenest team in the East, and they present a perfect matchup stylistically. The Penguins would have a legitimate chance.
pens would likely have to get to #6 for that to happen. possible, but i don't think the pens are better than carolina, montreal, or ottawa yet. realistically we're looking at buffalo or new jersey in the 1st round. playoffs are no guarantee though at this point, and after no playoffs since 2001 i'd just be happy if the pens made it.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:05 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
pens would likely have to get to #6 for that to happen. possible, but i don't think the pens are better than carolina, montreal, or ottawa yet. realistically we're looking at buffalo or new jersey in the 1st round. playoffs are no guarantee though at this point, and after no playoffs since 2001 i'd just be happy if the pens made it.
Disregarding for a moment the important fact that Carolina are still the defending champs, the Pens appear to have a reasonable chance at passing them for the sixth seed; only four points back with four games in hand.

But then, there's an equal or better chance that they are out of the race before it gets all that interesting.

Old
01-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo View Post
Hey, if they actually upset two teams, that would put them in the conference finals. And if you make it there, after beating two of the top seeds, you might as well be aiming for the Finals.

If they face Jersey in the first round, forget it. I could probably delude myself into optimism, but a sweep wouldn't surprise me. Buffalo presents a better matchup, but they're just too deep, and they'll be hungry.

NJ is probably the worst case scenario for the Pens, even more than Buffalo. Best goalie in the league, endless playoff experience, defence-oriented system...it wouldn't look good.

The Penguins could at least do a little run and gun with the Sabres and not be out of their element, but against the Devils system in the playoffs, young newbies aren't likely to adapt well. Atlanta would be ideal - not least for the Kovalchuk/Crosby side story.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:15 AM
AK-Evgeni71*

BUMP. Don't know if anyones opinions have changed, but the last two weeks have added to the question IMO

AK-Evgeni71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:19 AM
Dextrous*

More pittburgh domination, more references to the Oilers of the 80s. More doubters wanting them to fall flat on their face and miss the playoffs. If we can face Ottawa im going go NUTS and make sure i see lots of those gmaes.

Dextrous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:35 AM
hrd2imagin

While the Pens are on an amazing stretch, there's still 26 games, that's a lot of hockey left to be played.

Let's Go Pens!

hrd2imagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Boocock

Nah. We aren't there yet. We are just a young hockey team making some noise. We could get past Round 1 of the playoffs.

We will be soon. '08-09 is going to be The March of the Penguins. We are around in development how far the 03-04 Buffalo Sabres were. Probably a little farther ahead. I can live with that, since the Sabres have a darn good hockey team right now.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:11 AM
H2O

How many overtime games have the Pens played? It seems like everytime I watched them, they win in OT or the SO.

I think the Pens will become a top tier team next season, but I don't consider them as that right now. I can be completely wrong here, but I believe Ottawa can take the Pens if they meet in Round 1 of the playoff just because they should be able to expoit Pens D.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

We will see how it goes...Because we all know when playoff time comes around its matchup time.. we will see the top d checking crosby and maklin..expirience is so overrated..Its out right ********... Its all about how they handle pressure and the commitment of the team to take it up another level and toughness..i think the only thing expirience effects is the coaching staff...They are the tactitions..Its going to be fun to watch these matchups againts crosby.. we will see what hes made of

Lets not doubt the pens... the team with the most expectations always choke...remember the oilers...

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Jasz

I don't know if they're a top tier team yet, but their fans sure are becoming annoying.

Jasz is offline   Reply With Quote