HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2014, 06:41 PM
  #551
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Nurse is still very raw and most likely be at least 4-5 years from being a dominant NHL blue liner.

Ekblad if all the hype is correct is probably only 3-4 years away from that.

In the long run Ekblad is the better pick because elite D-man are so much harder to find.

Reinhart could slide into the #2 spot next year and probably be as good if not better than Gagner right off the bat and in 3 years could be a great 1b. Providing a great one two punch.

Both are very huge parts of any successful team. But the #2 center can be much easier filled with a plug or a trade.

Very tough tho cause Reinhart could keep the Oilers much more respectable short term and still contribute down the road. Where as Ekblad will probably hurt the team for a couple years before gaining enough experience to be useful.

Any which way the Oiler are up $%^& creek without a paddle if they don't address their coaching and player weaknesses asap.

Aerchon is offline  
Old
02-28-2014, 06:45 PM
  #552
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 50
**** drafting forwards. That has gotten us nowhere. If TC has taught us anything a great blue line will trump everything else.

GreatKeith is online now  
Old
02-28-2014, 06:47 PM
  #553
Musashi
Registered User
 
Musashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Decent veterans not wanting to come here was what kicked this thing off in the first place. Hindsight being what it is, there was probably never any hope from the start.
Not exactly, it has a lot more to do with poor drafting and management decisions.

Failing at the draft and only developing one legit defenseman in Petry from 03-08 has really set us back.

Having nothing to show for legit top four defenseman in Souray, Pitkanen, and Visnosky has really set us back.

Failing to recognize what we had in big bodied forwards like Glencross and Brodziak who turned into top 9 forwards who make a living playing hard minutes set us back.

Thinking players like Gagner, Hemsky, and Horcoff were apart of the solution and not apart of the problem set us back.

Having the mindset that all we had to do was draft high end prospects and that would be enough to carry us to the top because of what Pittsburgh and Chicago accomplished with players like Crosby, Malkin, Toews, and Kane at the focal point set us back

That's the reason we are in the position we are now. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Musashi is offline  
Old
02-28-2014, 06:49 PM
  #554
PKSpecialist
Registered User
 
PKSpecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
In my opinion this team needs Ekblad. I like our D prospects. Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Simpson, Musil, Gernat show good potential. But, Ekblad is the real deal. He is going to be a number 1 d-man in the NHL, and he has the drive and attitude to succeed. If Buffalo takes him before we can, its time to start thinking about trading down.

If Ekblad isn't there we should be looking for a 10-20 pick and a roster player. Then we can target some of the big power forward prospects that this draft has to offer.

Perlini and Ritchie would likely be gone, but Tuch, Kempe and Larkin, and possibly even Virtanen could still be available.

PKSpecialist is offline  
Old
02-28-2014, 06:55 PM
  #555
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
Not exactly, it has a lot more to do with poor drafting and management decisions.

Failing at the draft and only developing one legit defenseman in Petry from 03-08 has really set us back.

Having nothing to show for legit top four defenseman in Souray, Pitkanen, and Visnosky has really set us back.

Failing to recognize what we had in big bodied forwards like Glencross and Brodziak who turned into top 9 forwards who make a living playing hard minutes set us back.

Thinking players like Gagner, Hemsky, and Horcoff were apart of the solution and not apart of the problem set us back.

Having the mindset that all we had to do was draft high end prospects and that would be enough to carry us to the top because of what Pittsburgh and Chicago accomplished with players like Crosby, Malkin, Toews, and Kane at the focal point set us back

That's the reason we are in the position we are now. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.
The problem is we were never in a good position to draft a Doughty or someone of his calibre. Yes the scouting sucked but we could never draft a sure thing.

As for the other legit top 4, Souray basically made his value nothing by being a spoiled brat. Pitkanen turned into Cole who turned into... nothing. I don't even remember what happened to Visnovsky.

Lowe is to blame for Glencross (but we don't know the whole story. Could be he just never wanted to sign here) and Tambo is to blame for Brodziak (who Wild fans complain about).

The funny thing is when Gagner was a rookie and Hemsky/Horcoff were major contributors is the last time this team even sniffed a playoff spot. The "new" kids haven't gotten us close.

But the point I was making was that we kept chasing whales who had no interest in being here, so there were never any solid vets to begin with. Only croc tears Smyth, broken Horcoff, and a mostly ineffective Hemsky.

And unlike the Sabres we have NOTHING of value to offer anyone. We are so screwed.

GreatKeith is online now  
Old
02-28-2014, 07:17 PM
  #556
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,029
vCash: 500
Cody Nickolet ‏@WHLFromAbove 2m
Another busy scouts room tonight in Saskatoon to see the Blades and Reinhart's Ice. #Oilers Scott Howson and Stu MacGregor are here. #WHL

They must really like Reinhart...

40oz is offline  
Old
02-28-2014, 09:12 PM
  #557
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,659
vCash: 610
Buffalo just took a 3-1 lead over San Jose in the third. They're a better team after dumping Leenus. Looks like we might just be guaranteed a top-2 pick.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
02-28-2014, 09:27 PM
  #558
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Buffalo just took a 3-1 lead over San Jose in the third. They're a better team after dumping Leenus. Looks like we might just be guaranteed a top-2 pick.
Only three points back now.

Soli is offline  
Old
02-28-2014, 09:28 PM
  #559
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 50
It's inevitable...

GreatKeith is online now  
Old
02-28-2014, 09:36 PM
  #560
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
Not exactly, it has a lot more to do with poor drafting and management decisions.

Failing at the draft and only developing one legit defenseman in Petry from 03-08 has really set us back.

Having nothing to show for legit top four defenseman in Souray, Pitkanen, and Visnosky has really set us back.

Failing to recognize what we had in big bodied forwards like Glencross and Brodziak who turned into top 9 forwards who make a living playing hard minutes set us back.

Thinking players like Gagner, Hemsky, and Horcoff were apart of the solution and not apart of the problem set us back.

Having the mindset that all we had to do was draft high end prospects and that would be enough to carry us to the top because of what Pittsburgh and Chicago accomplished with players like Crosby, Malkin, Toews, and Kane at the focal point set us back

That's the reason we are in the position we are now. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.
Yeah, the drafting and development of the organization really tanked the franchise. Even if they had changed all those wasted picks on bust forwards to defensemen, none of them would have made it through the gauntlet that was Predergast's ability to assess talent, the atrocious minor league systems, and terrible head coach(Mact).

When the team can't even spot that the scouting staff and development system is worst in the league, it makes the rest of the bad moves easily explainable - the people who are making the decisions for the franchise simply don't know what they are doing.

Things really haven't changed. The scouting staff is failing on all the but the no-brainer picks, the development system can't develop anything, and they still have no idea how to hire a competent coach. It's not really surprising either, Lowe/Mact were dictating how the organization was run back in 2008, and they are back in charge again in 2014 like nothing ever happened.

Tarus is offline  
Old
02-28-2014, 09:47 PM
  #561
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,611
vCash: 500
Buffalo is likely going to run with Enroth after moving Halak for more futures, Stewart possibly, and Moulson for sure so I'm not sure they if catch up.

Lindo is online now  
Old
03-01-2014, 09:52 AM
  #562
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
Not exactly, it has a lot more to do with poor drafting and management decisions.

Failing at the draft and only developing one legit defenseman in Petry from 03-08 has really set us back.

Having nothing to show for legit top four defenseman in Souray, Pitkanen, and Visnosky has really set us back.

Failing to recognize what we had in big bodied forwards like Glencross and Brodziak who turned into top 9 forwards who make a living playing hard minutes set us back.

Thinking players like Gagner, Hemsky, and Horcoff were apart of the solution and not apart of the problem set us back.

Having the mindset that all we had to do was draft high end prospects and that would be enough to carry us to the top because of what Pittsburgh and Chicago accomplished with players like Crosby, Malkin, Toews, and Kane at the focal point set us back

That's the reason we are in the position we are now. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.
I was saying in 2010 how are rebuild would be nothing like theres since Pittsburgh and Chicago made big UFA signing and very good trades. We've drafted the guys but can anyone tell me of one trade that improved the team under Tambo? How about a signing? Where was our Guerin, Gonchar, Campbell, Sharp, Ladd, trades/signings?

raab is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 10:13 AM
  #563
Mr Positive
Registered User
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I was saying in 2010 how are rebuild would be nothing like theres since Pittsburgh and Chicago made big UFA signing and very good trades. We've drafted the guys but can anyone tell me of one trade that improved the team under Tambo? How about a signing? Where was our Guerin, Gonchar, Campbell, Sharp, Ladd, trades/signings?
Tambo's best trade was probably the Penner trade, which wasn't exactly the type of trade you are talking about but we'll see on Klef.

His best signing was Justin Schultz.

Mr Positive is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 10:24 AM
  #564
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Tambo's best trade was probably the Penner trade, which wasn't exactly the type of trade you are talking about but we'll see on Klef.

His best signing was Justin Schultz.
So nothing basically is what your saying... Do either of those guys compare to Ladd, Campbell, Gonchar in his prime, Guerin, Recchi, etc.... Good GM's bring in quality vets that can show the young guys how to win. Tambo did not and now were here 4 years later wondering what went wrong. Well no need to wonder, I knew in 2010 that this rebuild was a failure as soon as we didn't bring anyone in to help Hall and Eb's(more then most teams need to build around). Then in 2011 after RNH when our prized acquisition of the off season was "top pairing" d man Cam barker I knew we were totally f'd. Unfortunately fans took the tale that we're Pittsburgh/Chicago/Boston in the making hook line and sinker. We rebuilt like the Atlanta Thrashers circa 1999-2003, and the majority of the fanbase is now just clueing into it.

raab is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 10:33 AM
  #565
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
So nothing basically is what your saying... Do either of those guys compare to Ladd, Campbell, Gonchar in his prime, Guerin, Recchi, etc.... Good GM's bring in quality vets that can show the young guys how to win. Tambo did not and now were here 4 years later wondering what went wrong. Well no need to wonder, I knew in 2010 that this rebuild was a failure as soon as we didn't bring anyone in to help Hall and Eb's(more then most teams need to build around). Then in 2011 after RNH when our prized acquisition of the off season was "top pairing" d man Cam barker I knew we were totally f'd. Unfortunately fans took the tale that we're Pittsburgh/Chicago/Boston in the making hook line and sinker. We rebuilt like the Atlanta Thrashers circa 1999-2003, and the majority of the fanbase is now just clueing into it.
The tales of Pittsburg/Chicago/Boston always ended with those teams clearing out the old management groups and hiring some of the most promising executives and hockey minds in the league.

The Oilers hired Mactavish instead.

Tarus is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 10:49 AM
  #566
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
The tales of Pittsburg/Chicago/Boston always ended with those teams clearing out the old management groups and hiring some of the most promising executives and hockey minds in the league.

The Oilers hired Mactavish instead.
I'm sure there was an extensive interview process. That being they watched the end credits to Boys On The Bus.

Roof Daddy is online now  
Old
03-01-2014, 10:58 AM
  #567
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
The tales of Pittsburg/Chicago/Boston always ended with those teams clearing out the old management groups and hiring some of the most promising executives and hockey minds in the league.

The Oilers hired Mactavish instead.
Why do I cheer for this team again? Quite sad that what was once the most distinguished franchise of the modern era, has been drug through the mud like this. The worst part, no end in site and the same buffoons running the **** show.

raab is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 11:07 AM
  #568
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I was saying in 2010 how are rebuild would be nothing like theres since Pittsburgh and Chicago made big UFA signing and very good trades. We've drafted the guys but can anyone tell me of one trade that improved the team under Tambo? How about a signing? Where was our Guerin, Gonchar, Campbell, Sharp, Ladd, trades/signings?
It still took Chicago a long time before they got it right, with both UFAs and draft.

armandh01 is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 11:09 AM
  #569
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
It still took Chicago a long time before they got it right, with both UFAs and draft.
It took them 2 years after they drafted Kane...

raab is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 11:21 AM
  #570
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
It took them 2 years after they drafted Kane...
Yea and they were spinning their wheels for about a decade prior and their rebuild started long before Kane came around.

armandh01 is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 11:37 AM
  #571
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Yea and they were spinning their wheels for about a decade prior and their rebuild started long before Kane came around.
They also had good ol "Dollar Bill" running things until 2007 when he died. Once he died and his son took over and was willing to spend some money it didn't take long to turn things around.

raab is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 12:52 PM
  #572
ExOilerFan
Registered User
 
ExOilerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,235
vCash: 1499
Wow. Buffalo might actually pass us haha. Although I doubt it since they are going to have a fire sale...

ExOilerFan is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 01:29 PM
  #573
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Wow. Buffalo might actually pass us haha. Although I doubt it since they are going to have a fire sale...
We are too... Who's going to play LHD once Belov and N.Schultz get dealt, and once Hemsky, Gagner, Jones, Smyth all get dealt who plays up front? And what happens if Scrivens comes back down to earth and plays like a normal back up and Bryzgalov gets dealt? The Oiler's got experience in sucking I say we'll be passed and Buffalo ends up with 6 more points then us.

raab is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 01:43 PM
  #574
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
We are too... Who's going to play LHD once Belov and N.Schultz get dealt, and once Hemsky, Gagner, Jones, Smyth all get dealt who plays up front? And what happens if Scrivens comes back down to earth and plays like a normal back up and Bryzgalov gets dealt? The Oiler's got experience in sucking I say we'll be passed and Buffalo ends up with 6 more points then us.
Losing Belov will be addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned, and it won't be hard to find a bottom pairing LHD who's better.

Arco can replace Gagner until the end of the year, and we'll probably get a 3rd liner (Clifford) back filling one of those holes anyway.

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Perron - Arco - Eberle
Hendricks - Gordon - Clifford
Gazdic - Lander - Pitlick

Ference - Schultz
Marincin - Petry
Fraser - Fedun/Larsen

Scrivens/whoever

After the Sabres firesale I think we'll have a better lineup.

Powder is offline  
Old
03-01-2014, 01:50 PM
  #575
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
The Oilers Best
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Losing Belov will be addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned, and it won't be hard to find a bottom pairing LHD who's better.

Arco can replace Gagner until the end of the year, and we'll probably get a 3rd liner (Clifford) back filling one of those holes anyway.

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Perron - Arco - Eberle
Hendricks - Gordon - Clifford
Gazdic - Lander - Pitlick

Ference - Schultz
Marincin - Petry
Fraser - Fedun/Larsen

Scrivens/whoever

After the Sabres firesale I think we'll have a better lineup.
Don't we in theory already have a better lineup? That doesn't seem to matter as one team is playing hard and has a good coach while the other is going through the motions and has a moron for a coach.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.